Male HQ

Retiring in Bangkok

lonelyglobe

hiya,

its difficult to predict what will when the current king passes on, but political transitions in thailands are always risky and unpredictable.

as u said, we should be politically informed but not politically involved. a case in point, those of us who r heading north during our national day holiday should be aware that the national referendum for the new thai constitution will be held on 7th aug, and although highly unlikely, this may lead to some unrest. it would be wise to have our embassy's number at hand, and to avoid political hotbeds like the rachaprasong, rajadamri, victory and democracy monument areas when we are there.

hence, it is for the reason of security that i have chosen to live away from these areas when i retire. areas like ladprao, rama 9, suburbs of sukhumvit are quieter and definitely more secure.

finally, it is important to make good thai friends there. no one knows thailand better than the local thais, and they are the ones who will give us the heads up in any crises.

Guest Lazy2login
On 11/07/2016 at 7:45 PM, passinthenight said:

What are peoples thoughts on, when the much loved King passes?

I've heard that there could be some kind of a power struggle.

The heir apparent is not very well liked by the people.

Which means people in high authority could try and dismantle the whole monarchy system without much concern from the people.

But then again, the people could get very upset.

Such a scenario if it happens could make Thailand very unstable.

I don't think it will become unstable. It's in everyone's interest there to ensure the succession goes smoothly. 

The CP is making effort to improve his image and there are more public engagements involving his 2 daughters, especially Princess Patty who is popular.

So overall, I would say the country will remain stable despite the previous troubles over the red yellow shirt matter.

I don't think they will try to dismantle the monarchy, that's almost unthinkable to the majority of the Thai people. Power struggles will happen but it will be within the framework of the monarchy itself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest SGD to Baht conversion

Am thinking that you guys travel to BKK quite often. So, is it better to change SGD to Baht in BKK or in SG and if in BKK, do you have a recommendation as to where please? I do know that one gets good rates in Golden Mile.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

finally get back my refund for a condo deposit after 4 months ^_^

Just curious, what happened?

On another subject, I have a prediction of what will happen next after the passing of the King.

The prince will be made King and then he will step down as he is obviouly not interested and I don't think the people want him either.

The princess will then become the Queen of Thailand.

57 minutes ago, passinthenight said:

Just curious, what happened?

On another subject, I have a prediction of what will happen next after the passing of the King.

The prince will be made King and then he will step down as he is obviouly not interested and I don't think the people want him either.

The princess will then become the Queen of Thailand.

After the mourning period ends we will have a clearer answers. I think the CROWN Prince has mellowed a lot on recent times.  

14 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

finally get back my refund for a condo deposit after 4 months ^_^

Deposits are refundable ? Why did you ask for a refund ? 

6 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

is a special case as the agent give me the wrong info on the condo.... that's the thing, I think they have a bit more "人情味" as compare to spore....

What would you have done if you hadn't been successful in obtaining your deposit back? 

Still gone ahead with the purchase so you wouldn't lose your deposit or just walk away and forfeit the deposit?

4 months is a long time to wait and I'm sure there must have been some anxiety attached, including a sleepless night..... here and there?

I will keep watch on this thread ... since I also plan to retire in BKK (but not sometime soon).

Although, I'm not sure if I'm up for learning new language  *ugh* ... do we have to ?   (>_<)

Currently living in Melbourne, it's nice, but living cost is high and won't be able to 'enjoy' life when old without sufficient funds.

So, ideally, when I'm ready to retire, will have some passive income to support me in BKK.

If anyone already made the move, hope he'll share the experience here  :)

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting developments regarding a 10 year visa for over 50's.

It's a little vague and a little hard to understand due to... I'm assuming here.... of the translation from thai into english.

My interpretation is that it means..... instead of applying for an extension each year......you will now be able to have a 5 year extension with an option of another 5 years.

The Bangkok Post are saying the cost will be 10,000 baht.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:18 AM, passinthenight said:

What would you have done if you hadn't been successful in obtaining your deposit back? 

Still gone ahead with the purchase so you wouldn't lose your deposit or just walk away and forfeit the deposit?

4 months is a long time to wait and I'm sure there must have been some anxiety attached, including a sleepless night..... here and there?

I would not buy because I still need some time to get ready the cash as I m not planning to take a loan.....by the way I m planning to go in jan again and see if there is any good offer, anyone interested can pm me.

• 4 weeks later...

The new 10yrs retirement VISA is not LAW yet. 

The requirement is more strict than the original 12mths Retirement VISA.

It is quite VAGUE now. 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/24/details-10-year-visas-meet-mixed-reactions/

Applicants now need to place Baht 3m which they are not allow to access for 12 months.

After 1 year they can withdraw up to 50%  to be SPENT in Thailand.

( Do we need to proof it ? ) 

No mention of what happen to the balance of Baht1.5m, can we withdraw it ?

In Malaysia, one need to place RM150K in a term deposit - lien to the GOVT.

I have successfully applied for MM2H and have this RM150K placed with MAYBANK with an interest rate of 3.5%.

I suspect this Baht 1.5M - cannot be accessed !

As the date to my impending retirement approaches ( Mid 2017),  I am in a dilemma.

Do I apply now and hope to get the Retirement VISA base on old rule ?

What if I get it and the new rules come into place?

Do I need to top up the Baht800k to Baht3m?

There is also a requirement for health insurance in the new Retirement VISA.

Edited by inbody123

Really glad to find this thread

I'm considering migrating over to BKK in the (hopefully) coming future too...

I do frequently travel to there either for work or leisure... have a few local Thai friends(ex-colleagues who are Thai)

Ladprao, I understand from them is developing and a good place to look into

I'm trying to look into what I can do over there when I migrate over as I would prefer to have a flow of income 

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Bangkok from Dec 22 thru Dec 30th hunting for a small studio to buy !

The real estate market is "medium" hot. Some decent size 28-32sqm asking for Baht2 - Baht 2.3m. 

The area I was looking at was Prakanong / Onnut which has always been my preferred place of staying.

This trip no luck, most of the property prices are NEGOTIABLE. I was lucky to met this gay agent who drove me to view a few of these studios.

Thais do not like resale condos and there is a glut of these on the market.

Inflation wise : - 

I can still eat my favourite PAD THAI for Baht40.

My usual mineral water ( Singha and Chang) still sells for Baht7 at Family Mart.

My usual foot massage place still charges me Baht300 for a 90mins foot massage.

Taxis still have a start fare of Baht 35.

This trip I managed to try PRIME Massage near TAWAN Bar.

They charge Baht 600 for a 90mins oil massage - recommended.

The most important discovery for me for this trip is that my time spent studying the Thai Language has paid off !

I can communicate with the LOCALS and I can read some thai words ! 

I am more than ready now to make that move THIS YEAR !!!

congratulations to you......not sure when or if the new rules will kick in but if it do, which means have to prepare more cash liao, got to work harder for the next few years.......fluctuation in cost of living and thai bath exchange rate over the past few years have been quite stable as compared to other regional countries :P

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, totoro69 said:

hi, does anyone know if there is a property price restriction for foreigner to purchase thailand property, just like malaysia? what is the bank loan interest like to purchase a thai property? thanks.

No price restrictions but you cannot buy LANDED property.

Any condos or apartments with less than 50% foreign ownership you can purchase. 

Very hard to get Finance with a THAI Bank , UOB Bank do offers mortgages for overseas purchases.

But most studio/one bedroom properties are around S$100-150K, you dont need a big mortgage !

Good Luck.

Rent first before you buy, living and holidaying in Thailand is a different animal !

Please learn the language, easier for you if you really want to stay there.

This blogger gave a lot of tips on living in Thailand .... 

http://www.lifeinanewcountry.com/category/living/cost-of-living/

Interesting stuff. I have years of travelling all over Thailand, speak & read survival Thai, have stayed many times in local and foreign friends' homes all over the city, familiar enough with various PLU neighbourhoods and their offerings, have had bank accounts, and finally, have SG friends who live there.

The point I'm getting to is, I still prefer to stay in Malaysia and just fly or even train up for holidays, sometimes on route to other destinations. What arguments to dissuade me from this?

On ‎22‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:55 AM, Guest Msia? said:

Interesting stuff. I have years of travelling all over Thailand, speak & read survival Thai, have stayed many times in local and foreign friends' homes all over the city, familiar enough with various PLU neighbourhoods and their offerings, have had bank accounts, and finally, have SG friends who live there.

The point I'm getting to is, I still prefer to stay in Malaysia and just fly or even train up for holidays, sometimes on route to other destinations. What arguments to dissuade me from this?

there is no need for someone to dissuade u to retire in bkk, is your retirement and if u think Malaysia suits u best, then stay there :P just like many local think SG is best and they stay behind, then there are people who prefer Australia, new Zealand, let it be then....everyone have  a choice when it come to making this big decision.....to inbody123, if u happen to continue your condo searching tour in april, let me know ya, I will be there first weekend in april.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am 50th years old last November, and now retired at Buriram Province. My partner have got Aids last year July, so I quitted my job and came over to take care of him. We stayed at our own house in the village, which was newly built last Feb. Staying at rural area can be boring, but fortunately I am a home person, and the advantage is things are cheaper here, our monthly expenses is around THB 12,000 to THB 15,000. We don't own car, we go everywhere by bike, even for hospital visit which is 2 hours away. How long am I going to stay here depends on how long my bf going to live, so for those who interested to know more about village life in Thailand, you are welcome to ask me questions.

10 minutes ago, Guest Sg50 said:

I am 50th years old last November, and now retired at Buriram Province. My partner have got Aids last year July, so I quitted my job and came over to take care of him. We stayed at our own house in the village, which was newly built last Feb. Staying at rural area can be boring, but fortunately I am a home person, and the advantage is things are cheaper here, our monthly expenses is around THB 12,000 to THB 15,000. We don't own car, we go everywhere by bike, even for hospital visit which is 2 hours away. How long am I going to stay here depends on how long my bf going to live, so for those who interested to know more about village life in Thailand, you are welcome to ask me questions.

How did ur bf get aids?

2 hours ago, Guest Sg50 said:

I am 50th years old last November, and now retired at Buriram Province. 

What make you chose Buriram Province ?

Are you on a retirement visa or you do VISA runs ?

My first choice of retirement city would be Bangkok, next would be Chiangmai.

Main reason is that my family and friends would visit me if I am in these 2 cities.

Bf is from Buriram. I started with visa run, then get the retirement visa when turn 50. Chiang Mai would be a great place to retire,  less populated, housing also cheaper compare to Thailand.

VIP Invitation

7 projects in one show
Direct form developer

GET UP TO DATE WITH THE THAI ECONOMY IN 2017 AND POTENTIAL INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THAILAND

Learn more about the current Thai market and upcoming developments that will expand your investment opportunities and visit the showcase of Thailand’s best holiday home in special
discounts of up to 15%*

Sansiri, Thailand leading developer, unveils 9 Exquisite Condominiums in Thailand with attractive locations in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket.

Prices start from SGD 106,000*

DATE: 25-26 Feb (Sat-Sun), 11am – 6pm

VENUE: Four Seasons Hotel, Window East Room, 20/F

190 Orchard Blvd, Singapore 248646

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, lonelyglobe said:

Anyone interested in the above event can pm me for reservation, for serious viewer only.

Think twice before buying a foreign property for investment or retirement.  Easy to buy, difficult to sell and almost impossible to remit your money out of the country without going through a lot of red tape and documentary proof.  A friend of mine was asked to provide a work permit or company registration to proof the source of income and most ridiculous was, the reason for remitting the money back to your country.   

If you think of retirement and stay there, do consider health care and hospitalization bills as you grow old.  Your retirement visa does not entitled you to any health care subsidy enjoyed by the local people at the public hospital. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

Thanks for your advice :P If buy will be for own stay not investment, property price in Thailand is stagnant and rental income is not attractive at all....there are always new condo coming up and buyers are spoilt for choice, so old condo is not the first thing that come into buyer's mind.....health care cost here is definitely much more but the only different is we still have medisave to utilize.

for now, I'm still leaning to rent in Bangkok when I decided to retire , especially since I haven't been there often (few times here and there, haven't even to songkran yet).

still quite far in future for me, and few other countries to consider (which I have not been yet).

let us know the result of that property event and what you think about it :)

Not sure whether security (low crime rate) is included ... I don't think fitting in can be considered that.

I have not been to Philippines, Vietnam or Cambodia ... so, have to check them out first.

Many guys from Philippines are hot 

16 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Thanks for your advice :P If buy will be for own stay not investment, property price in Thailand is stagnant and rental income is not attractive at all....there are always new condo coming up and buyers are spoilt for choice, so old condo is not the first thing that come into buyer's mind.....health care cost here is definitely much more but the only different is we still have medisave to utilize.

15 hours ago, Ben S said:

for now, I'm still leaning to rent in Bangkok when I decided to retire , especially since I haven't been there often (few times here and there, haven't even to songkran yet).

still quite far in future for me, and few other countries to consider (which I have not been yet).

let us know the result of that property event and what you think about it :)

It is better to rent than to buy, since rental is very cheap there especially for long term stay of one month or more.  No point buying and stay for a few months. Remember, you still have to pay for maintenance, cable TV,  utility, property taxes etc. whether or not you are staying there.  

Worse is, after you bought and sold the property, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to remit your money back to Singapore.   In my friend's case, he draws out the money from the ATM in Singapore bit by bit using his credit card that was linked to his bank account in Thailand. Not only he loses out on exchange rates, he has to pay 5% commission every time he draws out money.  I think he visited the ATM more than 20 times.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

• 4 months later...

I'm currently in Bangkok and I'm checking out places to rent for the future.

Just to give me an idea and feel of what is available and where, for what price per month.

There is a difference, to what you see on the internet.... to what you see with with your own eyes.

Managers of apartments are keen to lower their prices without even asking.

This is what I found today when I just showed up to view any possible vacant units.

I saw 2 today in Sathorn. 1 bedroom 45 sqm, listed at 16,000 baht per month- down to 13,500 baht per month.

1 bedroom 60 sqm, listed at 23,000 baht per month- down to 17,000 baht per month.

water: 18/unit Electricity 6/unit

Nice swimming pool, sauna and Gym.

It would be like staying at a 3 star hotel.

I've also been told to check out apartments near Krung Thon Buri - BTS station.

As, it is not that far out and you get a much more peaceful lifestyle and better value for money.

If you want busy and excitement, it's only 15 minutes away on the BTS.

Edited by passinthenight

12 hours ago, passinthenight said:

Thanks. I'm also looking to retire in Thailand. Stayed in an airbnb once, at a small condo near Ram 9 mrt. The condo also has long term/monthly rental.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to have found this thread.

A bunch of us are planning to retire in BKK. 

To add to the content already here, if buying or renting, try to get near (3-5 mins walk) a BTS or MRT station.

I notice that the new BTS stations, which are extensions of existing lines, tend to have Sky Walks. 

If buying, look for upsides nearby, eg. new shopping malls, new offices, new BTS or MRT stations. 

If you go to a Thai condo launch that is being marketed in Singapore, 

do not get pressured into buying - always visit the actual site, to avoid a nasty surprise.

For instance, the not-to-scale map may show that the new condo is next to Emporium,

but it may actually be deep inside in a side street off Sukhumvit Road. 

One trick is to ask if there is a condo bus service to the station - if there is, then it is not near a station.

23 hours ago, eric6363 said:

Glad to have found this thread.

A bunch of us are planning to retire in BKK. 

To add to the content already here, if buying or renting, try to get near (3-5 mins walk) a BTS or MRT station.

I notice that the new BTS stations, which are extensions of existing lines, tend to have Sky Walks. 

If buying, look for upsides nearby, eg. new shopping malls, new offices, new BTS or MRT stations. 

If you go to a Thai condo launch that is being marketed in Singapore, 

do not get pressured into buying - always visit the actual site, to avoid a nasty surprise.

For instance, the not-to-scale map may show that the new condo is next to Emporium,

but it may actually be deep inside in a side street off Sukhumvit Road. 

One trick is to ask if there is a condo bus service to the station - if there is, then it is not near a station.

That's a good tip in your last sentence Eric. Knowing what questions to ask.... certainly does help.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:47 PM, passinthenight said:

Just to give me an idea and feel of what is available and where, for what price per month.

There is a difference, to what you see on the internet.... to what you see with with your own eyes.

Managers of apartments are keen to lower their prices without even asking.

This is what I found today when I just showed up to view any possible vacant units.

I saw 2 today in Sathorn. 1 bedroom 45 sqm, listed at 16,000 baht per month- down to 13,500 baht per month.

1 bedroom 60 sqm, listed at 23,000 baht per month- down to 17,000 baht per month.

water: 18/unit Electricity 6/unit

Nice swimming pool, sauna and Gym.

It would be like staying at a 3 star hotel.

I've also been told to check out apartments near Krung Thon Buri - BTS station.

As, it is not that far out and you get a much more peaceful lifestyle and better value for money.

If you want busy and excitement, it's only 15 minutes away on the BTS.

There  is a glut of new condo's being built along the BTS, prices are indeed falling ( rental ).  A studio in ONNUT asking Baht10k per month can now be rented at 8K. 

I will be making that MOVE to Bangkok in six months time.

Not sure how I will keep myself busy and my BRAIN active.

I am thinking of teaching ENGLISH in a language school although not being a native speaker could be difficult. 

While backpacking in 1995, I did teach ENGLISH in HK for 3 months.

3 hours ago, inbody123 said:

There  is a glut of new condo's being built along the BTS, prices are indeed falling ( rental ).  A studio in ONNUT asking Baht10k per month can now be rented at 8K. 

I will be making that MOVE to Bangkok in six months time.

Not sure how I will keep myself busy and my BRAIN active.

I am thinking of teaching ENGLISH in a language school although not being a native speaker could be difficult. 

While backpacking in 1995, I did teach ENGLISH in HK for 3 months.

Good luck with your exciting move.

I hope you will keep us all updated when you hit the ground there.

I didn't think it was allowed for someone to retire under the retirement visa and do any form of paid or unpaid work.

11 hours ago, passinthenight said:

Good luck with your exciting move.

I hope you will keep us all updated when you hit the ground there.

I didn't think it was allowed for someone to retire under the retirement visa and do any form of paid or unpaid work.

One cannot work under a Retirement Visa but if I can secure a job I can convert it into a Work Permit. 

Even volunteer work are forbidden under a Retirement Visa.

How was your recent trip to Bangkok ? Would you still retire in Thailand after your last visit ?

On 04/09/2017 at 10:17 AM, inbody123 said:

One cannot work under a Retirement Visa but if I can secure a job I can convert it into a Work Permit. 

Even volunteer work are forbidden under a Retirement Visa.

How was your recent trip to Bangkok ? Would you still retire in Thailand after your last visit ?

I suppose you can only try your luck.

Here is a link that you may find useful in gaining some info: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/46-teaching-in-thailand-forum/

My trip was for exactly 30 days( I took full advantage of the 30 day tourist visa on entry).

I could have quite easily of stayed longer as I knew winter was still waiting for me when I got home.

ATM, I am happy just taking my time in renovating my home which gives me something to do and also gives me enjoyment and I'm also adding value.

Once it is complete, no rush, just taking my time......I plan to sell up and make the move.

I will then need to adjust my mindset to be a professional full-time tourist/retiree. Just enjoy and go exploring. Learn the language.

Having the option and choice to fill in your time should be fun.

Edited by passinthenight

• 3 months later...
On 04/09/2017 at 2:43 PM, passinthenight said:

I suppose you can only try your luck.

Here is a link that you may find useful in gaining some info: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/46-teaching-in-thailand-forum/

My trip was for exactly 30 days( I took full advantage of the 30 day tourist visa on entry).

I could have quite easily of stayed longer as I knew winter was still waiting for me when I got home.

ATM, I am happy just taking my time in renivating my home which gives me something to do and also gives me enjoyment and I'm also adding value.

Once it is complete, no rush, just taking my time......I plan to sell up and make the move.

I will then need to adjust my mindset to be a professional full-time tourist/retiree. Just enjoy and go exploring. Learn the language.

Having the option and choice to fill in your time should be fun.

Any development yet re your plans/thoughts of retiring in Thailand or are you still taking it easy?  Would appreciate any other info you or anyone else has uncovered whilst doing research re moving across and staying there fora bit?  Was there recently and it was hot and humid. I ran out of things to do so am wondering what I would actually do if I were to relocate there for a bit. Probably would do much the same as I would do here, eat and sleep, LOL.

Have read other forums where people retire mainly in Pattaya - I suppose it would be cheaper there but city and life wise, think Bkk would be more 'convenient'.

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Any development yet re your plans/thoughts of retiring in Thailand or are you still taking it easy?  Would appreciate any other info you or anyone else has uncovered whilst doing research re moving across and staying there fora bit?  Was there recently and it was hot and humid. I ran out of things to do so am wondering what I would actually do if I were to relocate there for a bit. Probably would do much the same as I would do here, eat and sleep, LOL.

Have read other forums where people retire mainly in Pattaya - I suppose it would be cheaper there but city and life wise, think Bkk would be more 'convenient'.

Hi Guest, 

Still only a plan for me at this stage whilst just getting stuff done around my home.

I have never been to Pattaya, so that would be somewhere for me to explore.

Boredom will alway be a problem so it is just a case of trying to find new things of interest.

5 hours ago, passinthenight said:

Hi Guest, 

Still only a plan for me at this stage whilst just getting stuff done around my home.

I have never been to Pattaya, so that would be somewhere for me to explore.

Boredom will alway be a problem so it is just a case of trying to find new things of interest.

Thanks. On my recent trip there, I wondered if you had reclocated. Was going to ask you or ppl already there for a dinner meet, to see what the experience has been so far.  Am sure you agree there is quite a difference between visiting and actually staying.

I have been to Pattay twice. First time, found the place busy but relatively nice. Laid back. Gay scene was more 'open', not sure if I can explain what I mean. I think Pattaya is definitely more open when it comes to sex/relationships. There were a lot more people holding hands and going about, male and female, male and male.  Second time around, place even more busy and a lot more commercialism had crept in. Lots of Easter Europeans/Russians who were not only tourists but who also owned businesses. Not as commercial as Bangkok but certainly not as organised either.  Accommodation, both to buy and to rent, cheaper than Bangkok but am comparing city to city, not urban to urban. Am sure there is relatively cheap accommodation in Bangkok, if one moves away from the main centre and away from the BTS/MRT.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.