Male HQ

Retiring in Bangkok

lonelyglobe

2 weeks in Bangkok, found a condo @ Phrakanong, baht 8000 (S$340). 7 mins walk to BTS.

32sqm studio with a million dollar view as it overlook Bangkok but located in a poor area of Bangkok.

Spend S$700 setting up home with rice cooker, Nespresso machine and a safe for my passport and personal documents.

Spend S$1343 joining Fitness First (12 months platinum membership)

Got my OA Visa ( 3 plus 12 months) S$999 ( no need do VISA run)

Paid my 9 months school fees, S$1583.

Bought 2 unlimited internet (4mbps) usage plan with AIS for 12 months (iPad and iphone) , at an amazing price of 

S$110 per SIM card.

These are the costs I know I would spend when landing in Thailand.

Daily expenses is below Baht500 a day for the past 14 days including BTS, food and entertainment ( 2 movies and 2 massages).

Wednesday is best day for movies ( Baht 109) - watched Avengers and Deadpool 2.

It is possible to survive in Bangkok for less than S$1500 per month.

I do not smoke Nor drink and I am happy with Food Court / Road side food.

I have yet to get my Utilities Bill but my landlord said water is never more than B100 and Electricity if I on

my Aircon 8-10 hrs per day should be around B2000.

Bought a 90 days travel insurance before I left SG, I have to search for a local health insurance plan in late August which I was told

it would cost B2000 per month for my age.

Yet to make any Local Thai Gay friends, perhaps it’s time to turn on the Gay Apps. :) 

Thanks for your update in Bangkok inbody123.

I hope you are settling in well.

Just a couple of questions.

The school fees is that for thai language classes for your own personal beniefit?

What was involved getting your OA Visa and did your visa agent look after you?

Cheers, 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest InBangkok
On 5/23/2018 at 4:39 PM, inbody123 said:

Bought a 90 days travel insurance before I left SG, I have to search for a local health insurance plan in late August which I was told

it would cost B2000 per month for my age.

Try this company - http://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/

Just one point to remember. A company like Pacific Cross usually covers worldwide. That's obviously only of occasional importance but it avoids the need to get special insurance when you leave Thailand. Also, as you age, it is difficult getting travel insurance once you are 75. So a lifetime plan in Thailand that will give you at least basic cover elsewhere is useful, even tough it may be a little more expensive.

On 6/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, Guest InBangkok said:

Try this company - http://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/

Just one point to remember. A company like Pacific Cross usually covers worldwide. That's obviously only of occasional importance but it avoids the need to get special insurance when you leave Thailand. Also, as you age, it is difficult getting travel insurance once you are 75. So a lifetime plan in Thailand that will give you at least basic cover elsewhere is useful, even tough it may be a little more expensive.

It's always a good idea to try and think ahead.

How many times do we say to ourselves..... "I should of.......done this or that".

Guest Antony77

The easiest way to obtain retirement visa is to apply yourself with the Thai embassy in your home country or use thailand-visa.org . Their website lists all the required documents. Starting the process right now is a good idea. Good luck!

On 6/11/2018 at 11:01 PM, Guest Antony77 said:

The easiest way to obtain retirement visa is to apply yourself with the Thai embassy in your home country or use thailand-visa.org . Their website lists all the required documents. Starting the process right now is a good idea. Good luck!

It seems quite complicated to me.

I can really understand why inbody123 waited until he got there to apply.

Guest InBangkok

I applied outside Thailand. A lot of paperwork is certainly required but if you have the time to get it all together the process is actually quite simple. Not only does it avoid the expense of an agent's fee and a trip to Immigration on the outskirts of the city after you arrive, it effectively gives you two years residence provided you leave and return on a short trip prior to the expiry of the first 52 weeks.

12 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

I applied outside Thailand. A lot of paperwork is certainly required but if you have the time to get it all together the process is actually quite simple. Not only does it avoid the expense of an agent's fee and a trip to Immigration on the outskirts of the city after you arrive, it effectively gives you two years residence provided you leave and return on a short trip prior to the expiry of the first 52 weeks.

I'm curious on how you found it so simple?

The last time I looked at the Visa forms, I was stumped on how I could supply an address in Thailand and Thailand Bank account details when I'm applying in another Country. I just found it all so confusing.

If you say it is quite simple, i'll take your advise and dig the visa forms out again and have another look with a clean pair of glasses on, this time.:redface:

The process is definitely not easy for a retirement VISA. I use an agent to help me and I do not need to leave Bangkok and all documentation were completed before I went to the ต.ม. ( Thai word for Immigration officer ).

The agent will guide you, and all in , I spend less than 3 hours at the Immigration office and at the same time I got my multiple re entry VISA on the same day.

I have heard of people spending hours and got rejected as the documents were incomplete, eg the bank letter must be dated same day when you lodge the VISA, and you need to update your bank book the same day when you lodged the VISA, apparently a bank letter is insufficient and the officer wants to see a transaction in my bank account the same day I lodged the formsssssssssssss. 

There are are many agents if you Google Retirement VISA Thailand, some charge a ransom and some charge a reasonable fee.

If you need my input and advice, message me here, though I only log in once a fortnight now as I am busy with my studies and gym......

21 hours ago, passinthenight said:

Sounds like you are doing your very best to settle in there.

I'm just wondering whether you ever did turn on those gay apps?

Yes I did, results not sooooo encouraging as my age seems to attract the commercial type. 

My spoken Thai has improved but not as fast as I have hoped but it’s a good sign.

2 hours ago, inbody123 said:

Yes I did, results not sooooo encouraging as my age seems to attract the commercial type. 

My spoken Thai has improved but not as fast as I have hoped but it’s a good sign.

:D Same same, when I was there last in July for a 1 month holiday stay in an apartment.

Nice to hear that your thai is coming along slowly but surely. 

I can only imagine just how hard it is to learn thai.

• 1 month later...

Approaching my fourth month in Bangkok. Boredom starts to kick in.

Spending 6 days in the gym currently and 5 days a week at the language school. 

Thai Language progress plateauing ( is there such a word?), able to now have decent conversation in Thai with the locals.

No boyfriend yet, but dated a few locals.

Lots of gay Singapore friends visited, took them to visit the not main stream gay saunas and massage places.

Going forward I might need to seek employment, not so much for the $ but to kill boredom especially when my studies ends in December 2018.

Local friends kinda hard to make but expats in the gym seems chatty and shared experiences.

Will update more for those interested in retirement in Bangkok but IMO learning the language is essential to make your life easier in Thailand.

Thank you inbody123 for keeping us all updated on your new life in Thailand.

You are such a busy little bee keeping yourself busy.

Hopefully you can find a job and get a working permit.

You can only try and see how things go.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

been doing some thinking about retirement too...

maybe rent a room for 3 months in thailand , then 3 months in  cambodia, 3 months in southern france, 3 months in albania, 3 months in mongolia etc.

sounds crazy i know, but it would be nice to have a change of scenery frequently and be on the move all the time :D

It is actually quite difficult for asian to get work in thailand, for basic entry level they only employ their locals, for higher position, they would still prefer ang moh to make the company look international....moving around is also one way to beat dimensia but moving from country to country is not very feasible as it involve lots of money, your health conditions, long flights and most country allow a 1 month stay on tourist visa.....in fact basing in bkk, u can travel to phuket / koh samui (beach), chiang mai /rai (hill trek), ayuttaya / kanchanaburi (history/culture) etc...and when u need another country, mynmar, cambodia, vietnam, laos are all nearby, cheaper and shorter flights.

I dont think u can as a foreigner, u probably need to set up with a local, getting to know the local rules and regulations, getting a business partner that u can trust and all the efforts to run a business, is too much work and wat if the business failed?

The best alternative i can think of is to do volunteering work, u can help others, help u to pass time and they provide free lodging and 3 meals to help cover your expenses.

I'm just happy  my favourite thread is back:D

I think running a business you would be required to have a thai partner who will have the majority share of 51%.

Also foreigners don't seem to have any real rights, so trying to run your own successful business would be incredibly difficult.

Edited by passinthenight

Guest InBangkok
On 9/15/2018 at 7:28 AM, lonelyglobe said:

I dont think u can as a foreigner, u probably need to set up with a local, getting to know the local rules and regulations, getting a business partner that u can trust and all the efforts to run a business, is too much work and wat if the business failed?

The best alternative i can think of is to do volunteering work, u can help others, help u to pass time and they provide free lodging and 3 meals to help cover your expenses.

Lonelyglobe is both correct and not so correct. A foreigner cannot set up a business in Thailand on his own. You have to have a Thai partner. One of my European friends is the Managing Director of a tiny Thai company but the company is 100% owned by his long-term Thai partner. He has also gone through the vetting process. Since he has decades of experience in the type of work in that company, he has a formal work visa. 

The other problem is that most who live here on retirement visas are subject to very strict regulations. It is not possible to undertake any employment in any capacity, paid or not - and that includes voluntary work for a charity. I would be very happy to donate my time and experience to a charity here but it's just not possible. If the authorities find out that you are working, your retirement visa will likely be cancelled and the chance of getting one in future is greatly diminished. 

But all that does not mean there is no way of working. One is to work purely on the internet as some form of international consultant. The major problem then is how you receive your income. It has to go to an overseas account and all the paperwork should be on an overseas letterhead. For many years I have had a one-man company in Hong Kong. When I moved here I did quite a lot of work for one client here in Bangkok. I worked out of my condo, went to meetings and so on. But all invoicing originated in Hong Kong and payments were made to my company's Hong Kong bank account. It would be impossible to create such local payments to a Thai bank account. I am not sure how that would work in Singapore.

If u go there and volunteer, the organisation will have apply visa for u to stay, so dont need to apply retirement visa until your volunteering work is over.....

the best is to set up ecommerce, not sure if it is possible if i set up everything with paypal and a sg bank here, then when i operate in bkk, do i still need a local bank or the money can go into the sg bank? Otherwise back to the old tradition of cash transaction only.

Guest InBangkok

I assume you are talking about going to Thailand specifically to work as a volunteer for a specific charity, since only one organisation can apply for your permit.. Volunteer work for those on a retirement visa is not permitted - even with no payment to you. And if you already on a retirement visa and still want to volunteer, I suspect - but am not sure - you probably will have to relinquish your retirement visa status. So you will have to start once again at square one when your time volunteering is finished.

As long as funds relating to your e-commerce business are invoiced from an address outside Thailand and are not remitted to a bank in Thailand, you can do what you like with them. When you remit funds in to Thailand, they can then come in from any account you desire. Just state on the transfer form they are "For Retirement Visa Purposes".

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 1:55 PM, inbody123 said:

Today is my 7th Month in Bangkok. Renewed my lease for another six months to May 2019 at same rate of B8000 at Phrakanong, walking distance to the BTS system. 

....... I am still happy in Bangkok, and will continue to update quarterly here.

if you do need info on Retirement in Bangkok please inbox me.

Many thanks for your updates, inbody123.

I find them very interesting and helpful. Glad to hear that you are happy and not too bored - sounds like you are keeping yourself busy. I think being able to understand the Thai that you do  now is a great achievement given that it is nothing like the languages we have traditionally been exposed to.

Here is looking forward to your next update. If you feel like updating more frequently, please do so - am sure that in addition to me there will be other people interested in your thoughts and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished my travel to bkk and pattaya, and seems like a lot of foreign retiree make pattaya their based instead of bangkok. I can understand both pro ans cons between the two location but its clear pattaya attracts a lot more retiree, for their cheaper expenses and the beach. To inbody123, any specific region that u must set your base in bkk? 

13 hours ago, Sudu said:

I have just finished my travel to bkk and pattaya, and seems like a lot of foreign retiree make pattaya their based instead of bangkok. I can understand both pro ans cons between the two location but its clear pattaya attracts a lot more retiree, for their cheaper expenses and the beach. To inbody123, any specific region that u must set your base in bkk? 

I dont have personal experience, I hear that Chiang Mai is also a popular foreign retiree destination. I think for the same reason as Pattaya i.e. cheaper housing and expenses but an even slower pace of life compared to Pattaya and, of course, Bangkok.  I have been to Pattaya three times and each time, Pattaya seems to get busier i.e. more people. Some would say it has become sleazier but I could not tell, I did notice that there has been an increase in the number of (tourists or residents?) East Europeans around.  For retiring, I think I would still prefer to stay in Bangkok, just a bit away from the main areas of Silom, Sukhimvit, just for the sheer variety i.e. if I wanted to, I could get lost in the shopping malls of Bkk and if I wanted to, I could stay home and vegetate. But visiting and staying are quite different experiences which is why it is great that fellow BW'ers are shaing their thoughts and experiences. Its interesting that so far, BW retirees have chosen BKK only i.e. not Chiang Mai. Phuket, Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a holiday in Thailand for Christmas and New Year.

This time I checked out Pattaya and Jomtien.

I didn't think that much of Pattaya but I did like Jomtien.

I saw a lot of 50's/60's/70's and possibly 80's Western older folk enjoying their retirement.

A full english breakfast that would last you until dinner time for 149 baht could be had in Jomtien.

The beach was busy and people were swimming. I was told that the seaside was too polluted for swimming.

It looked ok as far as I could tell. Whether the people ended up with eye/ear infections is another story.

At night the gay bars of Jomtien are far more happening than the small gay area of bars in  Pattaya.

There is no MRT or Skytrain but plenty of baht busses that seem to do a wonderful job moving people around.

Going to Jomtien and seeing how relaxed folk are there and living by the sea and it is cheaper, I can understand why there are so many retired folk there.

Edited by passinthenight

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, Sudu said:

Pattaya is definately slightly cheaper than Bangkok however the sex ( sleaze) is a bit too overbearing.

There is no airport in Pattaya ...

I need to improve on my Thai and there are limited schools in Pattaya.

Chiangmai is another option I wanted to explore which I should do in the near future.

( But they speak Northern Thai Dialect  and I am learning Central Thai Dialect) 

I have been exploring Thailand recently and taking trains - they are VERY Affordable and Comfortable. 

Eg

A trip to Ayutthaya cost me B50 ( S$1.80) returned on the 3rd class train ( 80Km from Bangkok) 

I also just took a trip from Bangkok to Padang Besar and connect to IPOH  for Chinese New year ( KTM ETS ) last week, total outlay less than 

S$60/- but it took 22 hours, it is kinda fun and when you are retired time is not an issue. 

Bangkok is very cosmopolitan, food are cheap if you know where to look ( eg Terminal 21)

Groceries are cheap if you shop at Big C, Tesco Lotus and Value Max and sometimes they have promotion BUY one Free One ( shampoo, toothpaste etc ).

After 8pm their prices for some fresh produce dropped :)  significantly

Even Gourmet Market (  High End Supermarket) has promotion if you become their M Card Member.

Movies are cheap on a WEDNESDAY ( Baht 109 for Century and Baht 160 for other chains) 

50 Trips Rabbit cost 26 Baht ( valid for a month ) - Super Bargain. 

(I am not a good driver thus I rely on public transport )

I also needed a good gym where I can hang out and FITNESS First has many branches throughout Bangkok.

Pollution was bad recently in Bangkok ( OMG ) I really needed an air purifier but they were sold out. 

I guess if you want to maintain healthy and active lifestyle when u retire, definitely bangkok can offer more. But those who retire in the outskirt or smaller city are looking for a more relaxing and chill retirement, and of course at a cheaper cost than bangkok. Pattaya sleaziness is only concentrated at small areas and as long as you dont stay near those places, its pretty much the same as everywhere else. Actually, gay scene in bangkok is much more open for me in silom and it expanded through multiple sois, while in pattaya boyztown, its only small area closed to each other, while sunee and jomtien is away from main road, so you wont see the scene unless u search for it

I have visited Bangkok regularly for work and holidays for the last 10 years, about once a month. 

My take is that Thais are very tribal (for lack of better word), a foreigner will almost always be seen as an outsider, albeit expressed in a friendly manner. If you find a Thai partner you will still be identified as a friend but through him, meaning to them you are his partner and not likely to have a friendship ties with his circle without him. For example a simple lunch with one of his friends may not happen if he is busy for some reason. So your best bet is to find the local SG group. You may be accepted by your boyfriend's buddies or family with more comfort level, but by and large,  by association through your boyfriend again. Unlikely to find trust and true friendship outside of a relationship easily. 

You will find yourself with unexpected expenses if you find a boyfriend from working class or has a blue collar job. Guys from the North (chiangmai, chiangrai) or from rural areas tend to be simpler and less complicated with agenda although it means you support him unless family is rich. But then again, i don't know anyone who has a HISO or boyfriend from a rich family. Tribal, remember? 

Good luck with your experiment and pls post updates often.

If you find someone who is willing to give up or limit smoking or drinking for you, it's a good sign. Well.. Still You are expected to be the financier. Work that pays well or a good business is hard to come by in thailand without family connections. 

5 hours ago, Letsrelaxpp said:

The word is family oriented? 

But it is really difficult to find a real relationship with a Thai guy without the financial support part,  I m sure there are sincere ones around but don't know where to find them ha..... 

Family is one thing, but they have their own circle of friends too which is almost impossible for you to penetrate (pun) the social circle without his presence/participation. Of course most Thais are kind and helpful but you can't expect platonic companionship when he is not around... And if you really need help it may not be something you can count on besides your partner because you generally have more resources than them. Most of the Thai relationships with Farangs (white foreigners) are where the older Caucasians have the financial resources and to some extent experience and education to know what's best or what's bullshit when it comes to medical issues and financial. Thais tend to believe what is being dished out to them or not want (or know its better) to find second or third opinions to maximise your benefit or reduce your risk. To some extent you can say they are less kiasu and laid back. Unless of course you lucky to have a partner who is a doctor or lawyer from a well to do family. 

Edited by ter2007

On 2/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, Letsrelaxpp said:

The word is family oriented? 

But it is really difficult to find a real relationship with a Thai guy without the financial support part,  I m sure there are sincere ones around but don't know where to find them ha..... 

It is hard to find a relationship with a Thai guy without  financial support only if you กินเด็ก lol.

I have met a few happy Mature foreigners / Thai men couples at the gym where the Thai guys are professionals.

Many Thais thinks foreigners are loaded, this mentality must be changed. 

Some foreigners ( Caucasians) were begging on the street recently, and this made headlines in local papers.

I have been living in Bangkok for 9 months now, no luck with boyfriends but I have made a few close Gay Thai friends 

mainly from the gym and from my Language School.

• 2 months later...
On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 9:20 AM, inbody123 said:

It is hard to find a relationship with a Thai guy without  financial support only if you กินเด็ก lol.

I have met a few happy Mature foreigners / Thai men couples at the gym where the Thai guys are professionals.

Many Thais thinks foreigners are loaded, this mentality must be changed. 

Some foreigners ( Caucasians) were begging on the street recently, and this made headlines in local papers.

I have been living in Bangkok for 9 months now, no luck with boyfriends but I have made a few close Gay Thai friends 

mainly from the gym and from my Language School.

Time flies....u have been in bkk for 1 year, u planning to stay behind in bkk or moving to somewhere else? U renew your current rental contract or find a new place? Any thoughts or pointers to share after your first year there? Do update us when u r free, thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest InBangkok

Just a few comments on points raised in recent months. 

Bangkok. I much prefer living in Bangkok even though it can be a bit more expensive than Pattaya or Chiang Mai. It offers all the benefits of a big city - lots of inexpensive eateries, wide variety of things to do and see, lots of entertainment venues (both nightlife and daytime), lots of really good delicatessens and supermarkets, ease of local transport etc. One problem is that the city is so spread out and so the chances are you will stay quite far from your friends. But that is true of many big cities.

Pattaya. I have only been to Pattaya about half a dozen times. Personally I totally dislike it. It is too commercial. Too many tourists - it was Russians ten years ago and now it's more Chinese and Indian package tourists. Dreadful traffic, The gay beach area has totally changed in the last year and it is no longer the fun that it used to be when Thai guys would come in the afternoon to play volleyball and have fun in the water. The quality of the water itself is awful. I cannot imagine swimming there. The gay bar areas are changing. Sunee Plaza has been in its death throes for years but it still has about three go-go bars. Winner Bar is very popular because the drinks are inexpensive and it has a good number of twink-type dancers. Just outside the Plaza, Nice Boys has lots of more masculine guys who are generally more playful, although most do little if you take them off. Boyztown has lost a number of venues. BBB is still there on the corner with many straight guys and a lot of Chinese women in the audience. The other side of that soi has some twink bars.

Jomtien. Dozens of bars have opened up in Jomtien in the last few years and many visitors prefer its more relaxed atmosphere. Note though that there are no go-go bars here, only host beer bars. Note also that most of the working boys here are from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Throughout Thailand's gay scene, the number of Thai boys in all the bars has been going down as the economy in the countryside has improved and there is more better paid work locally. The problem is that many of these guys in Jomtien's bars are in the country illegally and working illegally. As soon as the cops turn up, many will suddenly vanish! Lots of inexpensive eateries and inexpensive places to stay. The gay beach area used to be about 100 meters to the right of the police box. But the whole beach has changed. As mentioned earlier, I would go nowhere near the water. I have read that further south on Jomtien Beach the sand and the water are better. But having heard about raw sewage being pumped into the sea, I still won't go near it.  Thailand has many much nicer beaches.

Pattaya/Jomtien Airport. Wrongly reported earlier - Pattaya does have an airport that is increasingly busy. Even Qatar Airlines has started flying there. U-Tapao is a bit out of the city but it's faster to fly in there if Pattaya/Jomtien or places on the east coast are your destination.

Chiang Mai. The old capital of the Lanna Kingdom is a great city if you are interested in history, culture and architecture. Lots of cheap accommodation and eating places. The old city still has its moat and part of the original walls and is easy to walk around to see lots of interesting temples. Nearby are some great National Parks, elephant sanctuaries, orchid farms and other places of interest. Chiang Mai used to be quite a gay centre with go-go bars, gay hotels and a very cruisy gay scene. That has totally changed. Two old go-go bar stalwarts remain, New My Way and Adam's Apple, but are staffed almost exclusively by straight Shan guys. Don't expect much if you take one off. The number of gay massage spas has declined by over 50%. The little beer bars which used to be clustered first around the Climbing Wall and later behind the Dust D2 hotel have disappeared. The few gay beer bars are located on a soi between the Night Market and the river.Transport has become much easier with the arrival of GRAB taxis. You no longer have to depend on over-expensive tuk-tuks or the baht buses whose destinations often remain a mystery. One of the cons is that the Chinese tour groups have invaded Chiang Mai. This is partly because the city was featured in a soap opera on Chinese TV.

Suggestions for other places. Everyone knows the Songkran Thai New Year Festival and many will know perhaps the most beautiful Festival of all, Loy Krathong in November. But Thailand has a number of very unique and amazing Festivals. Two to consider as two- or three-day trips from Bangkok or wherever you are staying are the Candle Festival in the eastern city of Ubon Ratchanthani and the Ghost Festival in the north-eastern town of Dansai in Loei Province which borders the Mekong. The Ubon Candle Festival is nothing to do with little hand-held candles. Each temple has craftsmen spending a month creating huge wax sculptures on Buddhist themes. These then take part is a very long Parade through the city centre along with more traditional Thai dancing, other floats and an amazing number of people - lots of great eye candy from Ubon's University! 

Dansai is a small village of about 10,000 inhabitants and almost everyone seems to take part. This increases manyfold during the annual Ghost Festival. I had an amazing weekend there a few years ago.

Both these Festivals take place during the Buddhist Lent in the summer. Since these dates change annually, so do the Festival dates. But they are usually in late June or July. It's almost impossible to describe these Festivals without photos and I can't work out how to add my pics here unfortunately. You can google these sites to get a better idea - 

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=photos+thailand+ubon+ratchathani+candle+festival&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi21Jj92pziAhVh63MBHVEyB4QQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=969&bih=615#imgrc=t94Oea8HP6soCM:

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=thailand+dansai+ghost+festival&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3mr-T1ZziAhUT7XMBHYE9DyAQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=969&bih=615

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, lonelyglobe said:

Time flies....u have been in bkk for 1 year, u planning to stay behind in bkk or moving to somewhere else? U renew your current rental contract or find a new place? Any thoughts or pointers to share after your first year there? Do update us when u r free, thanks for sharing.

It has been 13 months now since I last moved to Bangkok. Yes I will be renewing my VISA next month for another year.

The novelty of living in Bangkok has worned off, I am planning to stay another year before making my next decision.

It is hard not to work full time, I am working part time for a mere 12 hours a month for my ex SG employer.

This monies is enough for my rent, gym, school fees, transportation. 

I think I retired too young, I can still feel the work energy in myself.

The Thai Baht has risen significantly, when I first moved to BKK in may 2018 S$ was buying 24.9Baht, this morning I saw S$ now buys only 22.6Baht at Super Rich.

That is a drop of more than 10%.

For a retiree that is not good !!

There are a lot of new visa regulations popping out now and then, at the moment my VISA type is not affected, but who knows what will happen in future.

I experience THAI violence a few days ago, at UDOMSUK BTS I saw 2 motorcycles taxi gang fighting and gun shots were heard. I was terrified.

If you ask me if I have regretted - the answer is NO ... 

Edited by inbody123

Thanks for the update inbody123.

It's nice you have some income, coming in.

The strong baht is killing most currencies.

That would have been scary watching 2 gangs fighting over a patch of turf.

Is the pollution becoming more of a concern as media outside Thailand has reported over extreme levels at times.

Your Thai linguistic skills must be coming along nicely now.

Well done for sticking with it and giving it another year to see if you can settle. 

17 hours ago, inbody123 said:

It has been 13 months now since I last moved to Bangkok. Yes I will be renewing my VISA next month for another year.

The novelty of living in Bangkok has worned off, I am planning to stay another year before making my next decision.

It is hard not to work full time, I am working part time for a mere 12 hours a month for my ex SG employer.

This monies is enough for my rent, gym, school fees, transportation. 

I think I retired too young, I can still feel the work energy in myself.

The Thai Baht has risen significantly, when I first moved to BKK in may 2018 S$ was buying 24.9Baht, this morning I saw S$ now buys only 22.6Baht at Super Rich.

That is a drop of more than 10%.

For a retiree that is not good !!

There are a lot of new visa regulations popping out now and then, at the moment my VISA type is not affected, but who knows what will happen in future.

I experience THAI violence a few days ago, at UDOMSUK BTS I saw 2 motorcycles taxi gang fighting and gun shots were heard. I was terrified.

If you ask me if I have regretted - the answer is NO ... 

Thanks for your update, u have pointed out a few things:

1.) When we are working, we think of how nice if can retire but when really retired, we think of working, apart from the financial reason, also perhaps too much free time ha....

2.) Thai baht is pretty ridiculars ha...one of the strongest currency in this region beside sgd.

3.) We all love bangkok but going there for a one week tour is completely different from staying there for a year, u get to experience gun fights and all the not so nice things.

Glad that u r still loving it...take care and all the best in bkk.

• 5 months later...

What with the pollution and now the over the top baht, I'm seriosly thinking of changing my destination of retirement to Vietnam.

I've never been..... but planning a holiday there very soon.

I've been reading up on it and it seems most of the retirees are leaving Thailand for greener pastures.

I don't blame them on a fixed pension.

100 baht is now $5.00 Australian.

I won't be going back, even for a holiday with that kind of conversion rate.

Da Nang seems to be popular so my attention will be focused there.

I still have a couple of years up my sleeve until I get serious.

I'm glad I'm not in Thailand now.

I would be thinking.....this isn't working.

Edited by passinthenight

I recently came back from holiday in Laos (Luang Prabang) ... cost wise, seems prices for food and accommodation are cheap

Haven't been to Vientiane

Cambodia also not bad

Haven't done my research, just throwing some country ideas.

• 2 months later...

I lived and worked in Bangkok for over 20 years.  I moved to Hong Kong as I was given a great job offer.  I now live in Malaysia where the MM2H visa is excellent although I understand not many have been issued this past year.  Do I regret leaving Thailand.  Not one bit.  Thais are not keen on foreigners being there and finding a partner is not so easy.  The political situation, the despotic monarchy and corruption as well as the pollution all put me off even visiting again.

Edited by Grazzy

On 2/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, Grazzy said:

I lived and worked in Bangkok for over 20 years.  I moved to Hong Kong as I was given a great job offer.  I now live in Malaysia where the MM2H visa is excellent although I understand not many have been issued this past year.  Do I regret leaving Thailand.  Not one bit.  Thais are not keen on foreigners being there and finding a partner is not so easy.  The political situation, the despotic monarchy and corruption as well as the pollution all put me off even visiting again.

Thanks for your post Grazzy but hmm.. I must say it is very odd cos you quote the following":-

"The political situation, the despotic monarchy and corruption as well as the pollution all put me off even visiting again".

All of what you quoted happens in Malaysia too, particularly the first item as played out over the last couple of days. :)

Perhaps you mean it is not as bad in Malaysia as in Thailand?

20 hours ago, Guest Gast said:

Thanks for your post Grazzy but hmm.. I must say it is very odd cos you quote the following":-

"The political situation, the despotic monarchy and corruption as well as the pollution all put me off even visiting again".

All of what you quoted happens in Malaysia too, particularly the first item as played out over the last couple of days. :)

Perhaps you mean it is not as bad in Malaysia as in Thailand?

At least here in Malaysia the monarchy is not despotic.

This thread has been very quiet, some updates from someone who has taken the plunge and have retired  in Bangkok for 21months.

Any regrets ? Absolutely No.

Some important pointers :

1) Learning Thai is paramount. I took the Thai Assessment Test for Foreigners by Ministry Of Education in November 2019 and has been graded Junior High School. I can communicate, read and write like a 13-15 year old Thai. If you speak Thai your life in Bangkok will be smoother. 

2) Get a hobby, for me is Fitness First and making local  friends from the gym. I spend lots of time in the gym, to exercise and to practice my Thai.

3) Have a properly drawn up Budget and stick to it. I live a simple life and can survive on S$1500-$1800 a month. 

4) Health Insurance is important and expensive with the big international insurers as you aged, but the local banks have good cheap policies. My current annual premium is around S$490/- but this will go up to S$690/- when I cross to next age bracket. Of course the benefits are limited eg max B200,000Baht for hospitalisation and B600 for outpatient treatment capped at 30 times per year. 

5) Relationships. Difficult to find as one aged but l do see lots of older Foreigners and local younger Thais in some sort of “arrangements”. 

6) Managed your  expectations with pollution, traffic jams, flooding  and stayed out of politics (we are guests in the Kingdom). I have a air purifier in my studio and I avoid peak hours on the BTS. Flooding is something I still find unbearable as my shoes get wet and the cockroaches and rats seems to roam the streets when it floods.

7) Adhered to the 90 days reporting Requirements and keep up to date on VISA requirements. Retirement Visa need to be renewed every 12 months and reentry permit need to be applied if you leave the Kingdom.

😎Living standards are cheap here compared to SG eg movie days on Wednesday B120 for movie, cheap foot and body massages, cheap taxis and UBER. Gay sauna entries range from B150 to B280 depending which one you go to. Unable to comment on Clubbing and Agogo shows as I have retired from such scenes. 

The Baht is now around 22.6 to the S$, when I first moved here it was between 23.8 to 25ish to the S$.

I have been to Vietnam and Cambodia for holidays but if you ask me to choose , I would still chose Thailand. 

Edited by inbody123

2 hours ago, passinthenight said:

Great update inbody123 and congratulations on your Thai linquistical skills.

Yes, second that. Great update inbody123 and please feel free to pen your thoughts whenever - always interesting to experience living in Bkk through your eyes and ears. Many thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.