Male HQ

Police ‘interrogates’ 88 year-old for collecting cardboard

Guest guest

Guest guest

ProtectedPostDateIcon.png?9894b7 May 22nd, 2016 | PostAuthorIcon.png?9894b7 Author: Editorial

Cardboard-collector1.jpg?9894b7

A Facebook post by prominent labour activist Gilbert Goh has alleged that officers from the Singapore Police Force had “interrogated” an elderly 88 year-old cardboard collector after receiving complains from the public.

According to the son of the cardboard collector, the complaints revolved around her collecting cardboard at her age and the police has advised her to seek assistance from the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF).

For the elderly that are unable to work, the MSF provides them with meager assistance under the Primary Tier assistance scheme where they would get a monthly cash allowance of $450 per month per person. These amounts are understood to have been last revised in 2013.

In 2007 – when the amount disbursed was $260 – Dr Lily Neo asked in Parliament if it was too difficult to ask for three meals a day, as the price of meals at hawker centers were already $2.50 to $3.00.

She commented that out of the $260, “$100 [would already go] to rental, power supply and S&C and leaving them with only $5 a day to live on…  Therefore, is it too much to ask for just three meals a day as an entitlement for the PA recipients?”

Dr Vivian Balakrishnan – who was then the Minister for Community, Youth and Sports replied

“How much do you want? Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?”

His response drew public flak.

Even after adjusting for inflation in today’s dollars, it is unclear if $450 a month will allow an elderly to have a decent 3 meals. By contrast, the PAP government spends $400 million a year of taxpayer’s monies on scholarships for foreign students while claiming that they are “with and for” Singaporeans.

Subsequently in 2015, Cabinet colleague Tan Chuan-Jin drew flak on the same issue when he claimed – based on a study by Youth Corp – that these cardboard collectors were doing so out of exercise.

Given the large number of poor in Singapore, it is appalling that the Ministers do not seem to be alone in their thinking when they make such unsympathetic remarks.

Gilbert Goh later commented on the same post: “We try to supplement whatever gaps there are in the current social welfare system but will not want to go against the government critically as we are all trying to help the needy together.”

In addition to his counseling efforts, Gilbert has launched a peer-to-peer assistance scheme where interested donors will make direct cash and/or grocery contributions to needy Singaporean recepients. Those interested in rendering support may contact him at gilbert@transitioning.org.

When we grow old , will be be treated like that ?

Guest me me

When Public assistance was around the $230 range I rememeber on TV when they made a documnetary of those who lived in 1 room elderly who lived alone without any family members left, and they spedn their remainder life on Public Assistance , I remembered that one of the elderly interviewee said that they really have to budget very tightly and then 1 week before they received their public assistance money , they had to survive on biscuits and drinking coffee only for two meals,  they often skipped breakfast and combined lunch and breakfast in one meal or lunch and dinner in one meal.

Now that the Ministry of Social Developement togther with other ministry have worked out a revised amount, I think things have gotten better.

I think when I get to be that age I will also eat less meal , the more you eat, and leading sedentary lives as these old folks do, it is very easy to develop Diabetes Type II,  it is actually healthier to exist at old age at a semi starving stage,

Look at founding father, he only at 70 % full and he was alert and sprightly until a very advanced age.

Guest Guest
7 hours ago, Guest me me said:

When Public assistance was around the $230 range I rememeber on TV when they made a documnetary of those who lived in 1 room elderly who lived alone without any family members left, and they spedn their remainder life on Public Assistance , I remembered that one of the elderly interviewee said that they really have to budget very tightly and then 1 week before they received their public assistance money , they had to survive on biscuits and drinking coffee only for two meals,  they often skipped breakfast and combined lunch and breakfast in one meal or lunch and dinner in one meal.

Now that the Ministry of Social Developement togther with other ministry have worked out a revised amount, I think things have gotten better.

I think when I get to be that age I will also eat less meal , the more you eat, and leading sedentary lives as these old folks do, it is very easy to develop Diabetes Type II,  it is actually healthier to exist at old age at a semi starving stage,

Look at founding father, he only at 70 % full and he was alert and sprightly until a very advanced age.

Maybe because he could afford the best type of supplement

Guest Guest
14 hours ago, Guest me me said:

Who are you to make such suggestions for other people? Why don't you suggest for your mother to eat only at 30% full? Come, let me know who you are so that I can slap you across your fucking cheebye face.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Who are you to make such suggestions for other people? Why don't you suggest for your mother to eat only at 30% full? Come, let me know who you are so that I can slap you across your fucking cheebye face.

Ya lor, it is better to suggest poor people not to breed and stay here , the government no need to do much and still enjoy and get overly paid salary ! 

this is my personal and humble observation: 

there is no social safety net here. the govt gives me the impression that if u cease to contribute to the gdp in sg, u should cease to exist altogether, so as not to be a burden to them. 

one minister actually implied in one of his speeches that if u dont have enough medisave or cpf, its because u r lazy and have not worked hard enough.

there is certainly no recognistion of ur past contributions to sg, unless of course, u r  in the civil or military services, then there are lotsa back slapping and self praise.

personally, i just cant understand how these ppl can sleep with a clear conscience every night, knowing that they draw million dollar salaries whilst many of the aged and destitute go hungry waiting for the next megre allowance from a country they have helped build up. 

Edited by gc0805
spelling error

Guest Aging
19 hours ago, Guest me me said:

Every day, Pasir Panjan wholesale fruits/vegetables center have tonnes of unsold food.  Same for cafe with tonnes of unsold pastries.  All these can help to feed the needy.  We should have a center to collect all these wasted food, clean them up by voluntary helpers and distribute to the poor.  Besides, eating salad and fruits are healthy for the old folks, they should consume less carbo food and do more exercise.  There are jobs for them, cleaning rubbish at air-conditioned fast food and allowed flexible timing for them to choose to rest.  Mcdonalds are all over Singapore, there is no requirement for them to take transport if the outlet is nearby.  Picking carboard and cans are too risky and dirty.  Old people has low immunity in later part of their lives and should not exposed themselves too much under the sun and roadside pollution.  They can also be employed to cut vegetables or fish in supermart and be seated.  All these air-con environment will not stress them.  Any left over, they can bring home to feed too.   In fact, Singapore has many opportunity and good assignments for the elderly, if they cannot retire,  our govt is not creative in creating such jobs for them.  The onus was left to the employer to exploit them with no labour protection.  I feel sad for this cuntry and the heartless govt.

Guest Aging
13 minutes ago, gc0805 said:

personally, i just cant farthom how these ppl can sleep with a clear conscience every night, knowing that they draw million dollar salaries whilst many of the aged and destitute go hungry waiting for the next megre allowance from a country they have helped build up. 

The still slept well because 70% of our voters have approved their wrong-doings.

Guest Clap

88 years old still can go around collecting cardboards? She should be given the most outstanding Singaporean award by the President.

Guest Guest
17 minutes ago, Guest Clap said:

88 years old still can go around collecting cardboards? She should be given the most outstanding Singaporean award by the President.

Do you think that's funny? Well... let's hope you get that award at 88 for yourself.

Guest guest
12 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Do you think that's funny? Well... let's hope you get that award at 88 for yourself.

That's not funny and I mean it. Others her age would be in nursing homes depending on Government subsidies.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, Guest guest said:

ProtectedPostDateIcon.png?9894b7 May 22nd, 2016 | PostAuthorIcon.png?9894b7 Author: Editorial

Cardboard-collector1.jpg?9894b7

A Facebook post by prominent labour activist Gilbert Goh has alleged that officers from the Singapore Police Force had “interrogated” an elderly 88 year-old cardboard collector after receiving complains from the public.

According to the son of the cardboard collector, the complaints revolved around her collecting cardboard at her age and the police has advised her to seek assistance from the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF).

For the elderly that are unable to work, the MSF provides them with meager assistance under the Primary Tier assistance scheme where they would get a monthly cash allowance of $450 per month per person. These amounts are understood to have been last revised in 2013.

In 2007 – when the amount disbursed was $260 – Dr Lily Neo asked in Parliament if it was too difficult to ask for three meals a day, as the price of meals at hawker centers were already $2.50 to $3.00.

She commented that out of the $260, “$100 [would already go] to rental, power supply and S&C and leaving them with only $5 a day to live on…  Therefore, is it too much to ask for just three meals a day as an entitlement for the PA recipients?”

Dr Vivian Balakrishnan – who was then the Minister for Community, Youth and Sports replied

“How much do you want? Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?”

His response drew public flak.

Even after adjusting for inflation in today’s dollars, it is unclear if $450 a month will allow an elderly to have a decent 3 meals. By contrast, the PAP government spends $400 million a year of taxpayer’s monies on scholarships for foreign students while claiming that they are “with and for” Singaporeans.

Subsequently in 2015, Cabinet colleague Tan Chuan-Jin drew flak on the same issue when he claimed – based on a study by Youth Corp – that these cardboard collectors were doing so out of exercise.

Given the large number of poor in Singapore, it is appalling that the Ministers do not seem to be alone in their thinking when they make such unsympathetic remarks.

Gilbert Goh later commented on the same post: “We try to supplement whatever gaps there are in the current social welfare system but will not want to go against the government critically as we are all trying to help the needy together.”

In addition to his counseling efforts, Gilbert has launched a peer-to-peer assistance scheme where interested donors will make direct cash and/or grocery contributions to needy Singaporean recepients. Those interested in rendering support may contact him at gilbert@transitioning.org.

When we grow old , will be be treated like that ?

Homeless lonely gays will end up doing exercise like TCJ said....but wiil garhem cares ?

My late mother was unwell for more than 10 years before she went to Heaven.  I was NOT burdened by hospitalisation bills as it was covered by Medisave.  However, I was still paying for her regular/weekly medical appointments at the clinics and her diapers etc.  Other expenses include caregiver/domestic helper's salary and medical check-up and food.  

Even for myself, every medical appointment at SGH was costly.  Initally I was too weak to walk up the slopes and hence I needed taxi rides.  Now as I am getting better, I take the MRT and save a bundle.

So it is almost impossible to live on $450 monthly.  The receiver must skimp, skimp and skimp.  Don't think he/she can afford hawker food which don't come cheap nowadays. Cooking at home is more viable.  There are still alot of Singaporeans living below the poverty line..an amount around $600 to $800 can barely scrap through the month. The garmen dare not reveal their statistics - those who are under ComCare and renting  flats or are behind on their mortgage, utilities and conservancy charges, even telephone charges.   

神呀。。求求我吧!

Guest Guest

Really pity old people in Singapore. They played a part in helping Singapore to progress so fast economically. Cost of living increases rapidly and Singapore becomes one of the most expensive place to live in. At the end, they become the victims themselves

In the US, there are non-profit groups, i.e. City Harvest, that works with grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants etc. to go about collecting unsold produce for the needy, since they are perishable and rather than waste them, redistribute them for consumption.

In addition, one of the non-profits here, God's Love we Deliver, deliver cooked meals daily to people in need. They started out delivering meals to gay men afflicted by AIDS back in the 80s, and have grew to become one of the most active non-profits today serving over 5,000 meals daily. 

I think there are opportunities for similar support system in Singapore. 

Love. 

I believe there are local charity organisation doing that, like collecting excess bakery for distribution, hotel should be another area to target at especially after event or function, there are always so much leftover to be thrown...... the issue is some old folks like to be independent and they may not want others to help them....as for TCJ, I can only say why don't ask your mother and father to go for some exercise by collecting cardboard? Unfortunately some of this young guys very well educated but no heart and brain.

Guest 华文老师Miss Tan
3 hours ago, abang said:

神呀。。求求我吧!

应该是“救救我吧!” 罚改正错别字100次。

8 hours ago, Guest 华文老师Miss Tan said:

应该是“救救我吧!” 罚改正错别字100次。

No I stand correct as it was a cry from Tan CJ.. I assume he wants the less fortunate to beg him.. of course, we may ask God (of any religion) to help us.

Guest Guest
13 hours ago, Guest gay said:

Homeless lonely gays will end up doing exercise like TCJ said....but wiil garhem cares ?

Of course the government cares. That's why they suggested shipping the old folks over to JB, remember?

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Really pity old people in Singapore. They played a part in helping Singapore to progress so fast economically. Cost of living increases rapidly and Singapore becomes one of the most expensive place to live in. At the end, they become the victims themselves

Victims? If the old folks had voted against the current leegime, they might have found a few additional voices to speak up for them in Parliament. But yet, 70% went to vote for the ruling party.

• 2 months later...
  • Guest locked this topic