Male HQ

WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE. Should i upgrade from WINDOWS 7

Guest Theionoda

Guest Theionoda

Currently I have two older PCs and laptops which are still using Windows 7 and Windows Vista,   WINDOWS 10 free upgrade POPUPS keep appearing on my computer screen whenever i surf the internet on those older computers and laptops, saying limited period freeupgrades.

what are the downsides of the new Windows 10 versus Windows 7, Windows Vista

I know that currently my older PCs and laptops can use Office 2007, windows 2010 , and office automation software from Microsoft interchangibly and the licence for use is indefinite, almost for the lifetime, meaning I can install the home versions of Office 2007, office 2010, on many of my home PC and laptops and without paying extra.

WINDOWS 8 and WINDOWS 8.1, that is when Microsoft says if you installs the new Microsoft Office versions for these onwards , the new versions are not backward compatible to the older Windows 7 and Windows Vista, they also sell 1 year versions, and limit the number of PCs you install to.

In the first place , if Microsoft did a lousy job coming out  with version WINDOWS* and WINDOWS 8.1, and then make us pay for 1 year versions and unlimited versions, 

Should I be careful to even upgradeto WINDOWs 10.

And if anyone notice that their PCS using Windows Vista and Windows 7 are startting to have stabilty problems , speed of execution problems , and surfing speed problems after Microsoft launched WIndows 10 and their POPUPS start appearing on your PC screens. ??

I'm no expert, but after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I noticed that when I start up my PC, it's a lot faster as compared to Windows 7. 

Initially, I was having trouble trying to figure out how this Windows 10 works. Made me frustrated and pissed off but after awhile, I got used to using it. 

As for the concern of Microsoft Office, I feel you. I'm required to pay a annual subscription just to use it ... I'm not sure if one were to buy the CD version will it be unlimited or not, maybe you can try to find out. 

There's a slight learning curve when u upgrade from w7 to w10.l, but no biggie.

You should be more concerned whether your hardware can support w10, and if your favourite software can work in w10. Certain games for example can be problematic.

The free upgrade ends end July, so u better decide soon. Microsoft will end support for w7 soon, so u really have not much choice.

Edited by Vometra

Guest Thread starter
14 minutes ago, Guest What said:

I'm no expert, but after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I noticed that when I start up my PC, it's a lot faster as compared to Windows 7. 

Initially, I was having trouble trying to figure out how this Windows 10 works. Made me frustrated and pissed off but after awhile, I got used to using it. 

As for the concern of Microsoft Office, I feel you. I'm required to pay a annual subscription just to use it ... I'm not sure if one were to buy the CD version will it be unlimited or not, maybe you can try to find out. 

8 minutes ago, Vometra said:

You should be more concerned whether your hardware can support w10, and if your favourite software can work in w10. Certain games for example can be problematic.

The free upgrade ends end July, so u better decide soon. Microsoft will end support for w7 soon, so u really have not much choice.

Thanks for the feedback from the TS, cheers guys, signing off for now

In a word. YES.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

9 hours ago, Cube3 said:

REALLY? Then, what to do with old laptop.... :(

Test to see if it can take a window 10 install using a diagnostic program from Windows. If it does pass the test then keep it to what ever OS it is using as it has come to the end point of it's usage even if it is working fine. Keep to using older software with it or less complex program. Or come to term that it is time to put to pasture your old notebook if all else fail. Part and parcel of life when product life span ends.

But for those with pc or notebook that can do a window 10 install, you should not have much regret doing so. I am a gamer and power user of graphic design and photo editing on pcs and notebooks and I have not encounter any problem but a network conflict but that too was resolve with some googling for a solution and updating my hardware driver for the Intel network chip-set. The OS is stable for the most part.  Check all the major software you are suing to see if any of them has a conflict issue with window 10. Usually if there is a problem it is with those 3rd party software and not window 10 directly. BUT IF YOU ARE RUNNING PIRATED SOFTWARE and can not get updates then you are on your own man. heheh

Sometime it is just about updating those software to resolve the problem. Also window 10 has been out for sometime now and most of the issues it might have suffered are already resolved.

Window 10 is about the smoothest install I have encountered since using the original windows.  For notebooks, check with your notebook maker brand to see if your notebook need to be update with any other own special firmware first before installing windows 10. I know some notebook brands does that including my own Sony's Vaio which inform me to hold back for a good 8 months before my notebook was ready for the window 10 upgrade. Thus it is not always Windows 10's problem but the other s/w in your computer that has a problem so check them all carefully before upgrading.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

I upgraded my 4-year old desktop from Win 7 to Win 10. It started giving problems after, and finally crashed. When I sent for serving, the technician told me try keep to win 7. Have done so and no more problem since. In summary, if yours is an old computer of more than 3 years, avoid up grading. 

Guest Win7 user
On 6/30/2016 at 2:22 PM, Vometra said:

Support for Win 7 will end 2020.

I was being bugged to upgrade every time I powered on my PC.   Stopped for good now.  Can't remember how or what I did to stop that. 

On 01/07/2016 at 9:34 PM, alphine1234 said:

I upgraded my 4-year old desktop from Win 7 to Win 10. It started giving problems after, and finally crashed. When I sent for serving, the technician told me try keep to win 7. Have done so and no more problem since. In summary, if yours is an old computer of more than 3 years, avoid up grading. 

Ok ok good feedback! ...I shall approach this decision very very carefully...

On 02/07/2016 at 9:58 AM, Guest Computron said:

Yeah big conspiracy to push hardware sales

Every brand you can think of that is well known...DOES THIS heheh. It is nothing new.

Guest Win7 user

I was shopping online for a new CPU with Win7.    One of the specs reads: "Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro 64)"

Does that mean I get to keep Win7 indefinitely?

I read:

Understanding downgrade rights

It does not make sense to buy a higher OS and then downgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

In 2020...YES YES YES!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.