Male HQ

2016 Michelin Guide Singapore

Michelin Food Guide. No Michelin stars ;(

https://guide.michelin.sg/bibgourmand2016

Bib Gourmand awards for the 2016 Michelin Guide Singapore announced

Of the 34 eateries that made the list, 17 can be found in traditional food centres.

Singapore’s most iconic local dishes such as laksa, Hainanese chicken rice, bak kut teh and even the humble curry puff took the spotlight among the list of Bib Gourmand awardees in the 2016 Michelin Guide Singapore released by Michelin this morning.

Of the total of 34 eateries that received the Bib Gourmand rating - which is usually announced by Michelin a few days before the full guidebook launch - 17 are found in traditional food centres while 14 are restaurants and 3 came under the 'other street food establishments' category. To qualify for the rating, venues must offer a good value meal for under S$45.

The Singapore Bib Gourmand awardees this year represent over 19 cuisine types, including Indian, Cantonese, Vietnamese and even Turkish food, testament to the rich diversity of Singapore’s culinary landscape, says Michael Ellis, the International Director of the Michelin Guides.

“A true crossroads, a mix of cultures with Chinese, Malaysian and Indonesian influences, Singapore’s history is reflected in its cuisine - the variety, simplicity and authenticity completely won over our inspectors,” he added.

Among the hawker options are a multi-cultural span of popular favourites such as Tiong Bahru Hainanese Chicken Rice in Tiong Bahru Market, J2 Crispy Curry Puff in Amoy Street Market, Wedang Indonesian satay in Golden Mile Complex and Bismillah Biryani on Dunlop Street, and even newer names such as A Noodle Story started in 2013 by two fine dining-trained hawker-preneurs.

23b7ed7fd4ee45cf8df0a3d200bfb8d4_Chicken

Cze char eateries, a characteristically Singaporean variety of casual Chinese restaurants offering home-style cooking, also received a nod from the Bib Gourmand list, which named long-celebrated food haunts such as New Ubin Seafood, JB Ah Meng and Sin Huat Eating House in Geylang, the latter famed for its crab beehoon.

Restaurant options among the Bib Gourmand venues include recognisable brand names such as Peranakan restaurant True Blue on Armenian Street, 328 Katong Laksa, and Song Fa Bak Kut Teh, which started peddling its Teochew-style pork rib soup from a humble pushcart along Johor Road in 1969 and now has six outlets in air-conditioned malls and heritage shophouses islandwide, and a tech-savvy second generation at its helm.

See the full list below:

b2216c0640ac439296836e9e1546db1a_Micheli

*Fishball Story has since moved to Timbre+ in One-North. The listed address was accurate at the time of assessment.
*Fishball Story has since moved to Timbre+ in One-North. The listed address was accurate at the time of assessment.

maybe Michelin doesn't know our locations well?

Anyone disagree with the food in the list?

I m glad some of the lousy food that has alwys invited long queues are not in....eg one with long queue at chinatwn wet mkt hawker and the zion rd char kuey teow all not in- something which I agree that they shdnt be in at all

I was wondering what exactly is a rice dumpling, to me it is called meat dumpling - or nonya like how they described here: http://kitchentigress.blogspot.sg/2012/06/bak-chang-video.html

Anyway, kim choo, what balestier etc not in?
http://ieatandeat.com/top-best-rice-dumpling-bak-chang-in-singapore/

anyway Peony's bak zhang is in:
http://www.womensweekly.com.sg/at-home/entertaining/weekend-food-hunt-8-best-bak-chang-chinese-rice-dumplings-in-singapore-to-celebrate-dragon-boat-festival/3/

Guest Foodie

Michelin stars will be announced on Thursday. I guess it will go mostly to fine dining establishments. They will be pricey, but for special occasions I think if we wanna splurge, now at least we know which restaurants will be on par with the international standards.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/two-singapore-hawker/2975524.html

SINGAPORE: Two hawker stalls - Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle at Crawford Lane and Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle in Chinatown were awarded a Michelin star each on Thursday (Jul 21).

This is the first time in Michelin history that Asian street stalls have been awarded the coveted star. 

“It signifies that these hawkers have managed to hit the ball out of the park,” said Michael Ellis, international director of the Michelin Guides, at an awards ceremony at Resorts World Sentosa. “As they say in baseball, in terms of the quality of the ingredients, in terms of the flavours, in terms of the cooking techniques, in terms of just the general emotions, that they are able to put in their dishes. And that is something that I think is really unique to Singapore.”

hill-street-tai-hwa-pork-data.jpg

Hill Street Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee. (Photo: Nisha Karyn) 

For the first time, Australian cuisine got a Michelin star as well, through Osia Restaurant at Resorts World Sentosa. Restaurant Joel Robuchon, also at Resorts World Sentosa, was the only eatery in Singapore awarded three Michelin stars this year. 

According to the guide, one star refers to restaurants that offer “high-quality cooking, worth a stop”, two stars refer to those that offer “excellent cooking, worth a detour”, and three stars, which is their highest award, refers to “exceptional cooking, worth a special journey.” 

restaurant-joel-robuchon-data.jpg

(Photo: Restaurant Joel Robuchon's website)

Six other restaurants - including Odette, Les Amis and Andre - were awarded two Michelin stars. 

odette-singapore-data.jpg

A dish from Odette, a modern French restaurant at National Gallery Singapore. (Photo: Odette/Facebook)

Singapore is the first Southeast Asian country - and the fourth Asian territory - to be rated by the Michelin Guide. 

Restaurants were judged based on five criteria: 

• Quality of products
  • Mastery of flavour and cooking techniques
  • The personality of the chef in his cuisine
  • Value for money
  • Consistency between visits

Ahead of the awards ceremony, the Singapore Michelin Guide awarded a "Bib Gourmand" to 34 hawker stalls and eateries around the island on Jul 14. The Bib Gourmand is given to food establishments that offer a high-quality menu at a reasonable price, which in Singapore means a maximum of S$45. 

HAWKERS NOT RAISING PRICES

The two hawkers who got Michelin stars expressed happiness and surprise at their inclusion in the guide, which lists the best restaurants and hotels in 28 countries.

“I’ve heard of the Michelin guide but I never thought they’d come to the hawker centres and give us such an honour," said Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle’s Chan Hong Meng. 

"I’m very thankful to them because us chefs are just like university students hoping to be awarded a degree.”

On his approach to food, Mr Chan said: “My thoughts are that you must treat your customers like your relatives, and they’re your judges. Or we must be like doctors, providing healing for their stomachs and health.”

He has a 10-year-old daughter, but is not sure she will take over from him in the food business. “The hours are quite long, and you must suffer to succeed. He added that he has considered automating his food processes. 

Meanwhile, Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle’s Tang Chay Seng was modest when asked about his recipe for success. “There is no secret,” he said. “The ingredients just need to be fresh.” 

Both hawkers added that they expect queues at their stalls to get longer. "Currently the queue is about 30 to 45 minutes … if it gets any longer people won’t want to wait anymore,” said Mr Tang. 

“Customers usually wait about 45 minutes to an hour. But I think now, they’ll probably have to wait at least one and a half to two hours,” added Mr Chan. “I don’t know what tomorrow will be like!” 

Despite the accolade, both men said prices would not be raised for now.  

The full  1,2,3 star list

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://mothership.sg/2016/07/22-food-establishments-in-spore-awarded-one-michelin-star-including-two-hawker-stalls/

A week after 34 Bib Gourmands were given out to hawkers/restaurants, the Michelin Food Guide has just unveiled a list of 22 food establishments that were awarded one Michelin star each.

Here’s the list of one-star recipients:

Alma by Juan Amador, Goodwood Park Hotel
Bacchanalia, HongKong Street
Beni, Mandarin Gallery
Candlenut, New Bridge Road
Corner House, Botanic Gardens
Crystal Jade Golden Palace, Paragon Shopping Centre
CUT by Wolfgang Puck, Marina Bay Sands
Forest, Resorts World Sentosa
Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle, Crawford Lane
Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle, Chinatown Food Complex
Jaan, Swissotel The Stamford
Lei Garden, Chijmes
Osia, Resorts World Sentosa
Putien, Kitchener Road
Rhubarb Le Restaurant, Duxton Hill
Shinji by Kanesaka, Raffles Hotel
Shinji by Kanesaka, The St Regis Singapore
Summer Pavilion, The Ritz-Carlton Millenia
Sushi Ichi, Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel
Terra Tokyo-Italian, Tras Street
The Song Of India, Scotts Road
Waku Ghin, Marina Bay Sands

Two-star recipients:
André (Innovative)
L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon (French contemporary)
Les Amis (French)
Odette (French contemporary)
Shisen Hanten (Chinese)
Shoukouwa (Sushi)

Three-star recipient:
Joël Robuchon (French contemporary)

Expect queues at the two hawker stalls, Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle and Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle, to be insane tomorrow.

For the rest of us, guess we will still have our own favourite un-starred establishments.

• HendryTan changed the title to 2016 Michelin Guide Singapore

just pass by Chinatown hawker during lunch time and the queue was crazy, at least 70 to 80 people queueing for a plate of chicken rice, wonder really so nice or these people too free? anyway, I m curious who is the judge who go around testing the food and did they manage to cover all eating places in Singapore? Also if the critic is amdk again, then certain exotic food would have been left out like century egg porridge which they regard as one of the most disgusting food around. Looking at the list is mostly "safe" food like noodle and rice, so I don't think really need to have so much hoo-ha about this Michelin thing.......

On 24/07/2016 at 9:17 PM, lonelyglobe said:

just pass by Chinatown hawker during lunch time and the queue was crazy, at least 70 to 80 people queueing for a plate of chicken rice, wonder really so nice or these people too free? anyway, I m curious who is the judge who go around testing the food and did they manage to cover all eating places in Singapore? Also if the critic is amdk again, then certain exotic food would have been left out like century egg porridge which they regard as one of the most disgusting food around. Looking at the list is mostly "safe" food like noodle and rice, so I don't think really need to have so much hoo-ha about this Michelin thing.......

most people order noodles not rice, that is why so fucking slow, working around there, 油鸡is nice but will not worth wasting time to queue

5 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

I've tried this stalls chicken before, thought it was value for money but not really that delicious; there're others which are better e.g. the stall run by the twin sister of Maria (Hong Kong comedian actress who used to act as Filippino helper). In the same food centre, I thought their soy sauce chicken is much nicer...

I have noticed that soy sauce chicken stall whenever I patronise the steamed chicken rice stall nearby. Before the advent of the Michelin award, the queue isn't as long as the steamed chicken rice one. Hopefully the queue can all go over the soy chicken rice stall so that I don't have to queue so long for my favourite steamed chicken rice :P 

Edited by Coolbriz

Be cool, like a breeze...

On 25 July, 2016 at 11:53 AM, jcho said:

@Cube3 Stall run by the twin sister of Maria? What's the name or unit number of this stall? Wanna try as I'll be going down to Chinatown this week.

Had lunch today at Smith Street Hawker Centre -> CLICK HERE

Guest Touching

Just sharing with you guys. I'm proud that our humble hawker food has become international.

Behind the Scenes: The World's First Michelin-starred Hawker S...

What's the story behind Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle, the world's very first Michelin-starred street food stall, and what was going through the mind of chef-owner Chan Hon Meng as he stepped up on stage at the inaugural 2016 Michelin Guide Singapore Gala Dinner and Award Ceremony? We give you the inside look in this Michelin exclusive video. Read more at: http://bit.ly/michelinhawker

Posted by Michelin Guide Singapore on Sunday, July 31, 2016

Guest Foodee
On 14 July 2016 at 10:19 PM, Cube3 said:

* Why is Maxwell or Amoy Food Centres listed as at Raffles Place, which is actually a distance away??? :mellow:

Amoy street food centre is just beside raffles place what....

Agree maxwell is a distance away.

Surprised maxwell & tiong bahru food centres only got one or two stalls recognised.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.