Male HQ

Buying US stocks

doncoin

29 minutes ago, doncoin said:

@Coolbriz Thanks for the lead. i will check up on it. Does the investment have any restrictions to the markets? I.e. NASDAQ, OTC etc.?

technically shouldn't have any restriction. The only restriction is the types of stocks that can be bought using cpf. You can buy any stocks with cash I supposed. Oh ya, forgot to mention that you will need to open two accounts. One is a security account (CDP) and the other is brokerage account. The CDP account is one that settles and maintains your trades while brokerage acct provides the platform for you to buy or sell stocks in the stock market. All you need to do is choose a broker of your choice and the broker can help you open both CDP and the brokerage accounts concurrently. Both accounts are linked and you only need to interface with your brokerage account.

Edited by Coolbriz

Be cool, like a breeze...

20 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

technically shouldn't have any restriction. The only restriction is the types of stocks that can be bought using cpf. You can buy any stocks with cash I supposed. Oh ya, forgot to mention that you will need to open two accounts. One is a security account (CDP) and the other is brokerage account. The CDP account is one that settles and maintains your trades while brokerage acct provides the platform for you to buy or sell stocks in the stock market. All you need to do is choose a broker of your choice and the broker can help you open both CDP and the brokerage accounts concurrently. Both accounts are linked and you only need to interface with your brokerage account.

Cool. I will look more into it. Do you recommend UOB so far?

Love. 

1 hour ago, doncoin said:

Cool. I will look more into it. Do you recommend UOB so far?

So far so good with UOB but the reason I have an account with them is because of a friend working there. You might want to visit some websites that offer some comparison amongst the brokers before deciding: e.g.  http://blog.moneysmart.sg/invest/how-to-decide-which-investment-brokerage-in-singapore-is-best-for-you/

Be cool, like a breeze...

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2016 at 10:24 PM, doncoin said:

Just want to diversify. 

Don't forget, with overseas markets must factor in exchange rates too. Stock may go up, but if currency falls against SGD the gains might be cancelled out.

Have been playing us stocks for a while now few months? Overall good gains. High can be higher and u can catch the lows if lucky. Overall much prefer US stocks where there are a lot of news and interesting companies but as well as a lot of external factors like forex or western economies. Tonight it looks like easy money to buy Amazon- just saying. 

• Guest locked this topic