Male HQ

Anonymous Hiv Testing By Afa - Trip Report

HendryTan

As a community service, I would regularly re-post the "Anonymous HIV Testing" message by AFA to encourage BWers to go for the test. It is taken from their web site http://www.afa.org.sg/

Anyway, the main HIV Anonymous testing information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous HIV Testing & Counselling Clinic
Tuesdays : 6.30 to 8.15pm
Wednesdays: 6.30 to 8.15pm
Saturdays: 1.30 to 3.15pm
(except on public holidays)

Venue: DSC Clinic, 31 Kelantan Lane, #01 - 16, S 200031

A map is available here: http://dsc-sexualhealth.com.sg/tpl/howdogethelp.html

Cost: S$30

Pre- and Post-Test Counselling are provided by trained volunteers.

Results are available within 20 min of doing the test.

No personal particulars are recorded even with positive results.

Guest Guest

For the blood test - is it prick finger or insert needle into the arm. if latter, very painful and I dare not leh............

I heard the oral kit cannot just buy and go right, still need to be counselled first. Sigh, some people just want to buy and go test also cannot...........

Why got the swimmer photo there......he is charming.............. :P:P:P

You can also buy the OraSure test at OneSeven at the entrance. The staff will counsel you on how to use the kit and read the results for the test. You are also asked to go for a confirmatory test if the results are positive. No names/particulars are recorded.

The oral test uses sample from the inner lining of your cheeks. Its painless and takes 20 mins.

The oral test uses sample from the inner lining of your cheeks. Its painless and takes 20 mins.

If the oral test taking sample from the inner lining of own cheek, then what we get from it only our own saliva, so means the HIV self testing using our own saliva.

On the other hand, read from 'safe sex web' that HIV can not be transmitted thru kissing. A bit confused now?

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

If the oral test taking sample from the inner lining of own cheek, then what we get from it only our own saliva, so means the HIV self testing using our own saliva.

On the other hand, read from 'safe sex web' that HIV can not be transmitted thru kissing. A bit confused now?

Worldangel, Kissing does not transmit HIV. Unprotected sex does. The swap on the inside of the mouth, is also where doctors gets their DNA from (ala CSI).

When somone is HIV+, the body will produce antibodies to fight the virus. Antibodies does not transmit HIV, its the HIV virus that transmits HIV.

I heard the oral kit cannot just buy and go right, still need to be counselled first. Sigh, some people just want to buy and go test also cannot.....

Guest, having someone there to counsel the correct usage is very necessary. Also, it would help that someone can be there to advice you should the result be inconclusive to alleviate any doubts you might have.

But I belive they are also there to take a general survey, to monitor the situation of HIV in Sg. Which I think is necessary. We should support the cause. :thumb:

You can also buy the OraSure test at OneSeven at the entrance. The staff will counsel you on how to use the kit and read the results for the test. You are also asked to go for  a confirmatory test if the results are positive. No names/particulars are recorded.

It's almost free from OneSeven.........

http://www.oneseven.com.sg/announcements.htm

Worldangel, Kissing does not transmit HIV. Unprotected sex does. The swap on the inside of the mouth, is also where doctors gets their DNA from (ala CSI).

When somone is HIV+, the body will produce antibodies to fight the virus. Antibodies does not transmit HIV, its the HIV virus that transmits HIV.

Okay thanks understood already. Anyone could advise how many months is the interval if we want to do the self checking ? Say every 6 months or every year? Any advise please.

Am not a medical professional but this is from my own research. Afa, please feel free to correct me.

The Orasure test takes samples from the dead cells in the inner cheeks and not saliva. Saliva does not contain high levels of the HIV antibodies that are being tested for.

Kissing is also not a significant mode of HIV transmission as the virus is only present in very small amounts in saliva and is easily destroyed in the process of kissing. Even oral sex and swallowing is relatively safe as any fluids ingested during the process will be destroyed in the stomach.

It is slightly more dangerous to have someone cum in your mouth when you have open sores/ulcers in your mouth or if you've brushed your teeth in less than 3 hours before exposure. Moral of the story, don't let him cum in your mouth.. but if he does, swallow immediately or spit it out. Don't gargle with his cum, its not Listerine ok. :D

As a general practice, HIV testing is only accurate up to 3 months before your test. There is a window period where HIV becomes detectable. That means if you have been exposed to HIV, a follow up test should always be scheduled 3 months after the first negative test to confirm that you are negative. Needless to say, you should not indulge in unsafe activities during the window period.

Self HIV testing should be done as regularly as you can especially now that we have free access to the oral kits. Couples who wish to be monogamous and do bareback should also take the test together and then repeat the test 3 months later to confirm. :clap: :thumb:

For the blood test - is it prick finger or insert needle into the arm. if latter, very painful and I dare not leh............

For the anonymous test site, the finger prick test is employed. They only need 2 drops of your blood for the test.

Only if you need to confirm the test result will a tube of blood be draw.

So, don't worry lah, the finger prick is only like ant bite, so will be okay. :) Do go for regular testing.

As a general practice, HIV testing is only accurate up to 3 months before your test. There is a window period where HIV becomes detectable. That means if you have been exposed to HIV, a follow up test should always be scheduled 3 months after the first negative test to confirm that you are negative. Needless to say, you should not indulge in unsafe activities during the window period.

Self HIV testing should be done as regularly as you can especially now that we have free access to the oral kits. Couples who wish to be monogamous and do bareback should also take the test together and then repeat the test 3 months later to confirm. :clap: :thumb:

Basically both OraQuick and the blood test employ the method of detecting the antibody of the HIV. In most cases, the body will take 1 to 3 months to develop the antibody. The suggested timing for testing is 1 month, and 3 months AFTER the exposure. Meaning to say, if I had a high risk exposure (e.g. condom broke, drunk and had raw sex) in end Jan, suggestion is that I should do a test in end Feb, and a confirmatory test in end Apr. The test can be used to determine the risk for activities that were 3 months and older. Recent activities may not be tested.

Hence, if you are sexually active, you might want to test at 3-monthly, or 6-monthly intervals. It should be determined by the kind of activities you engage in.

Hope this clarifies :)

TopChinese and OCMSM, thanks for your fruitful explaination.

The best about this Oralsure Test that I don't need to be poked with the needle which I'm NOT comfortable with :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Trip Report to AFA (Action For Aids) Anonymous HIV Testing at DSC Clinic

AFA conducts "Anonymous HIV Testing" in DSC Clinic. It is located at 31 Kelantan Lane, #01-16, Singapore 200031.

Getting There
The roads there are slight confusing. Print a paper copy of the map and have it handy when you go there. Bus numbers and MRT are listed in the URL too.

You can get map and picture of the entrance of the clinic at http://www.dsc-sexualhealth.com.sg/showpage.asp?id=3 .

On that day of my visit, the people in the clinic included Male/Male couple, Male/Female couple and man who were there alone (like me). I counted about 20 people.

Registration
At the registration counter, there was a male AFA volunteer. I told him "Anonymous HIV Test". He confirmed it was the place and said it costed $20.

I paid cash and he handed me a questionnaire with a receipt for the $20.
Note the Receipt Number e.g. 23456. All transactions will be by this receipt number.

The Questionnaire
From memory, this is how the questions looked like.

1. General Particulars
a) Sex - Choose: Male, Female
b) Marital Status - Choose: Single, Married, ...
c) Race - Choose: Chinese, Indian, Malay, ...
d) Age Group - Choose: <20, 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, ...
e) Nationality - Choose: Singaporean, Others ...

NO questions that ask for specific personal particulars

2. Sexuality. Your sex partner.
Choose: Male only, Female only, Male & Female

3. Where you did your last HIV test and date of your last test.
Choose: AFA Anonymous Testing or Other Clinic.

4. Your self-assessed Risk Profile for HIV
Choose: >75%(High Risk), 25-75%(Moderate Risk), <25% (Low Risk), Don't Know.

5. How did you found out about AFA Anonymous HIV testing ?
Choose: Internet, Newspaper, Friends, Brochures, ....

They used the above question for the counseling later.

After finishing the questionnaire, I returned it to the counter and waited.

Pre Test Counseling
A male AFA Counselor called my receipt number. He verified it and led me into an office. He asked me about my awareness of HIV and referring to my questionaire, he asked why I thought my self-assessed Risk Profile was LOW.

I told him that I always practiced safe protected sex and do regular HIV screening (3-4 months). He noted my answer and encouraged me to keep practicing safe sex. No preaching, no scolding.

He asked whether I had any other questions. In previous visits, I have asked them about the accuracy of the HIV test, the regularity that I have to do the test, AFA relationship to DSC, about safety of oral sex, risk of broken condom, ask them to recommend me to gay-friendly doctors or other gay medical related questions. The counselors are generally pretty helpful. Take advantage of this service.

The HIV Test
I was then asked to wait in front of a testing Lab. When it was my turn, my receipt number was called. Another male AFA volunteer checked my receipt number and then led me into the lab.

He showed me the HIV test strip which was sealed in some sterile pack. He broke open the pack in front of me to show me that the test strip was new and unused. He then pasted a sticker with my receipt number on the test strip.

He next used an alcohol-soaked cotton ball to clean my finger tip and then a little device (new) to prick the tip of my index finger. Felt like a small ant bite, a little blood droplet appeared on my finger tip which he then squeezed onto the test strip.

A plaster was given and I was told to wait for 15-20 minutes later for the result.

All medical equipment used were disposed immediately after use.

The Wait
For guys who have not been practicing safe sex, I guess the next 15-20 minutes would be a long wait. My advice would be to bring a copy of the daily/nightly tabloid papers that you can read to keep your mind occupied. Alternatively go with a partner.

The Result and Post Test Counseling
Approximate 15 minutes later, the first counselor called my receipt number which he then physically re-verified.

In the office room, he showed me the result of my test strip which he told me read "HIV Negative". He then taught me how to read the result and to verify that it is truly HIV Negative. As much as I knew it would be negative, the psychological relief was always good.

He inquired whether I had any questions. Nope I said, thanked him and left the clinic.

That was it. Took me about 45 min - 1 hour in the clinic including waiting time.

That is it. Encourage everyone to do a HIV test.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest together

i want go together with my friend.

do the test together with my friend.

see the counselor together with my friend.

see both our blood test result together with my friend.

afa can do 2 person toegther ?

afa can do 2 person toegther ?

I do not speak for AFA.

When I was doing the Anonymous HIV Testing at AFA, I observed that Male/Male couples were there to do the test together. These couples entered into the testing lab and the counselor room together with their partners.

The counselor I spoke to actally encouraged couples to be tested together prior to having unprotected sex (but note the 3 months window peroid).

• 7 years later...

1. It is ANONYMOUS testing. If the result turns out to be positive, the couselor will explain the options available to the person. Like where the person can go for a full confirmation test. Treatments available and cost. Legal implications etc.

2. The counselors are trained to handle such situations.

3, Absolutely NO names and particulars will be taken however the result.

4. We have also PM the AFA rep who is active in this forum to provide more details.

In the mean time, read the AFA Anonymous Test page at http://www.afa.org.sg/anonymous.php

All the best !

---------

PS  Please note that this is an old topic from 2006, some of the dates/prices are slight off.

In the event that your rapid test result is positive, further testing is needed to confirm your HIV status and our counsellors will ask you to take an (anonymous) western blot test for that.

If your western blot blood test comes back positive, afa will:

• let you know where you can seek care and treatment. 

• set up the first appointment for you (only if you are agreeable) and will subsidise your first hospital visit if you decide to seek treatment locally in the government hospital.

• guide you on disclosure issues. You are generally under no obligation to disclose your status to any third party but sharing with someone does often help you through the first few months.  

• Provide you with some immediate health tips. There is not much you need to do differently in the short-term - except remember your responsibilities under Singapore law with respect to sexual relationships once you know your positive status.  You need to eat right, sleep sufficiently and take appropriate exercise; avoid needlessly straining your immune system in these early months by steering clear of other people  with common infections like colds and 'flu.

• offer you one-on-one counselling with one of our expert counsellors if you need immediate help coming to terms with your diagnosis.  

• also offer you the opportunity to join a small group of newly-diagnosed individuals with whom you can compare emotions and experiences.  This is AfA's Empower Programme, also provided through the Positive Living Centre.  There's no need to identify yourself but some find it helpful to share their thoughts and fears in a group setting with others who have gone through exactly the same experience recently.

​J

Edited by AFAians

Action for AIDS, Singapore

9 Kelantan Lane #03-01
Singapore 208628

Tel : (65) 6254 0212
Fax :(65) 6256 5903
Email : AFAians@afa.org.sg

Guest advise needed

I need some advice.

I have just done my test tonight at the DSC and the test result is positive.

The counsellor over there did not give me back my test report and make any appoinment with the government hospital.

What should I do next ?

I really need a sound advise now, would appreciate someone able to tell me. Is it complusory to do hiv screening for pre employment if I want to work in hospital as a nurse or healthcare worker? Thanks in advance

I need some advice.

The counsellor over there did not give me back my test report and make any appoinment with the government hospital.

What should I do next ?

Normally, they will not give back your test report if I recall.

Ask the counsellor on the next steps to take.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

oh interesting... like testing for diabetes? how accurate is the test? thinking of going down this Friday ^_^

Sort of... Ask Google for Governmental opinion for accuracy.

Friday ? Hmm... Is it by AFA Anonymous HIV testing ? Thought was Tue, Wed & Sat only.

Sort of... Ask Google for Governmental opinion for accuracy.

Friday ? Hmm... Is it by AFA Anonymous HIV testing ? Thought was Tue, Wed & Sat only.

he saw this

bwcle_afamts.png

The AfA mobile service uses the finger prick test kit, similar to the test kits to check on blood sugar.

If you go to DSC, you get to choose the finger prick test, or the oral swab test.

In both methods, the test kits detect the presence of the HIV antibodies, not the virus itself. Only a comprehensive lab test can detect the presence of the virus, the HIV type, the viral load, your CD4 count, etc.

Needless to say that the test kits are non-confirmatory. However they are very accurate.

I need some advice.

What should I do next ?

Did you have the test during our Anonymous Testing Site operating hours?

Tues - Wed : 6.30pm - 8.15pm

Sat: 1.30pm - 3.15pm

If you were tested positive at ATS, a confirmatory blood test will be taken (only with your permission). We do no release any physical test report at ATS. Are you able to tell us which date were you at the clinic and which counsellor attended to you?

how will the test be done? is it like normal hospital blood tests with needle poked into the vein in the middle of the arm?

It will be a prick on the finger. The entire process including waiting time for results should not take more than 60 mins.

The AfA mobile service uses the finger prick test kit, similar to the test kits to check on blood sugar.

If you go to DSC, you get to choose the finger prick test, or the oral swab test.

In both methods, the test kits detect the presence of the HIV antibodies, not the virus itself. Only a comprehensive lab test can detect the presence of the virus, the HIV type, the viral load, your CD4 count, etc.

Needless to say that the test kits are non-confirmatory. However they are very accurate.

I'll like to clarify that ATS (Anonymous Testing Site) uses DSC for the anonymous testing service. ATS does not equal to DSC. 

Here are ways to know whether your test is at DSC or ATS:

1. Only HIV or Syphilis test are provided.
  2. Tests are at $30 each
  3. No names and personal particulars are recorded, you will be issued an unique serial number upon payment or presentation of free test coupon. You will be identified only by your number.

Our clinic operating hours: Tues - Wed : 6.30pm - 8.15pm Sat: 1.30pm - 3.15pm

I really need a sound advise now, would appreciate someone able to tell me. Is it complusory to do hiv screening for pre employment if I want to work in hospital as a nurse or healthcare worker? Thanks in advance

Yes, it is mandatory as you may come in contact with needles, blood and patients. 

Joe

Edited by AFAians

9 Kelantan Lane #03-01
Singapore 208628

Even though free testing is not available at our Anonymous Testing Site (ATS), free coupons can be obtained from our volunteers at most clubs/ saunas during events. If you see any of them, don't be shy to request for a coupon. 

If you don't frequent these places but would like to have test coupons, you can send me a message for it.

Edited by AFAians

9 Kelantan Lane #03-01
Singapore 208628

• Guest locked this topic