Andi

Rempah:
1 thumb length lengkuas sliced
1/2 thumb length kunyit sliced
6 bua keras
30 bawang merah
10 red chillies soaked
1 slice belachan toasted
Grind all ingredients. Then stir in 1 small spoon ketumbar.

1 serai, smashed

Stock
Boil a few pork bones in 1 litre of water, add 5 pieces of  assam keping and continue to simmer for about 1 hour.

4 chicken fillets, skin off
sugar
pinch of salt
Olive oil
2 daun limau purut

Directions
To prepare bua keluak nuts: soaked overnight, scrubbed and wash clean. Crack open the nuts, scoop out the meat and mash it with 2 tablespoons of sugar and a bit of salt. In a frying pan, spray some olive oil and pan fry the chicken fillets until cooked. Set aside.  Using the same pan, fry the rempah and the serai until fragrant. Stir in the bua keluak meat and fry for a minute or so. Slowly add in 2 scoops of the pork stock, sugar and salt and let it simmer until the sauce is reduced.To serve, cut up the chicken pieces in julienne slices, place each breast on a bed of white rice. Pour a generous amount of the sauce over it. Sprinkle with finely sliced Daun Limau Purut.

4bw-buah keluak.jpg

5 hours ago, Andi said:

any one know how to cook buah keras (black candle nut) chicken?

I think you got the name wrong.

Buah Keras is Candlenut

Candlenut-Pictures.jpg

it is commonly used in curries more as a thickening agent.

whereas,

Buah Keluak is Pangium Edule. Please note that this seeds are poisonous if not clean properly. So DO SOAK AND SCRUB throughly before breaking it to use the 'flesh' or 'pulp' inside.

20091219-Malacca-BuahKeluak3.JPG

1 hour ago, Andi said:

I saw from market, they also just sell the meat. Can I use the meat to save soaking and scrubbing

9 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Yes, can buy just the meat, save prep time and energy...

Oh I never knew they sell just the pulp. Anyway I don't know how to prepare it, my duties was just to eat them...hahaha I had introduced them to friends but 100% of them didn't like the taste. 

Actually most curries taste better after a day unless it turn rancid. The trick is to make huge pot of curry gravy and only little meat. Than add the meat as day goes by so that the gravy is more robust and yet have tender but not over cooked meat.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2016 at 11:49 PM, Andi said:

I saw from market, they also just sell the meat. Can I use the meat to save soaking and scrubbing

the joy of eating buah keluak is to scrap the nut from the shell. using just the paste kills half the joy of eating it.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

On 8/6/2016 at 6:26 PM, Cube3 said:

Rempah:
1 thumb length lengkuas sliced
1/2 thumb length kunyit sliced
6 bua keras
30 bawang merah
10 red chillies soaked
1 slice belachan toasted
Grind all ingredients. Then stir in 1 small spoon ketumbar.

1 serai, smashed

Stock
Boil a few pork bones in 1 litre of water, add 5 pieces of  assam keping and continue to simmer for about 1 hour.

4 chicken fillets, skin off
sugar
pinch of salt
Olive oil
2 daun limau purut

Directions
To prepare bua keluak nuts: soaked overnight, scrubbed and wash clean. Crack open the nuts, scoop out the meat and mash it with 2 tablespoons of sugar and a bit of salt. In a frying pan, spray some olive oil and pan fry the chicken fillets until cooked. Set aside.  Using the same pan, fry the rempah and the serai until fragrant. Stir in the bua keluak meat and fry for a minute or so. Slowly add in 2 scoops of the pork stock, sugar and salt and let it simmer until the sauce is reduced.To serve, cut up the chicken pieces in julienne slices, place each breast on a bed of white rice. Pour a generous amount of the sauce over it. Sprinkle with finely sliced Daun Limau Purut.

4bw-buah keluak.jpg

I am a baba and my family's recipe mixes chicken with spare ribs.  however most peranakan restaurants do it the easy way using only chicken. 

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest toa payoh

toa payoh bus interchange, level 1 food court koufu, got one nyonya stall that sell chicken keluak, chicken pongteh, nyonya curry, assam fish. I always go for the chicken keluak and pong teh. only 5.40. no need so mah fan to cook. 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.