Male HQ

Is beebee carot cake worth the wait after famous ppl visited?

Guest guest

I think I will be happy to support them, but not because they had Joseph Schooling as a patron. But more because of the fact that they remained humble and told the newspapers that they will not ramp up their production even after business pick up, as one of the owners is not feeling that great in terms of her health. So I am supportive of them because they got their priorities in their life right: they put their health ahead of their wealth. So in short, I will not wait in line just for them. But if it ever happen that there are two stalls offering the same food and both are just waiting for customers, I will pick them first even if the other stalls offer better food.     

Guest Boddhi

Why so negative?

If you don't like it then don't queue.

If you don't have patience to wait then don't queue.

If you think that it is just a hype then don't queue.

I stay in Marine Terrace.

I can tell you, even before the whole Schooling visit, the carrot cake stall already has long queue.

You have to wait for at least 30mins to get the carrot cake on weekends.

On weekdays, you have to wait but not as long.

And the stall will close for business by 11am, or earlier depending on how fast the carrot cakes are sold out.

That stall has been in operation for decades and already has strong patronage from regular customers.

With regards to the carrot cake, it is one of the better carrot cakes I have eaten.

The carrot cake is crispy as the it is stir-fried until just a bit brown but not burnt.

I prefer the white carrot cake with a bit of chilli added to give it an extra spiciness.

In fact, almost all the food stall is crowded and have long queues, not just the carrot cake stall.

The porridge stall, fish ball noodle stall, vegetarian beehoon stall and even several of the Muslim stall selling lontong/mee soto/etc all have very long queues.

• HendryTan changed the title to Is beebee carot cake worth the wait after famous ppl visited?

All the kiasu 星爸星妈 will go and line up cos they wonder if there is special ingredient that can also make their little chumps an Olympic medalist one day.

Guest Carrot Cake

Today, I saw the carrot cake stall at the food center near my place had a long queue too.  Carrot cake or cai tao kueh is fast becoming the favorite food in Singapore.  Thanks to Schooling.

Million might be a big fan of say Pavarotti sing tenor in some Opera. Does that mean EVERYONE  ELSE will love it too? heheh...  Many a times I have gave in and actually Q for some hawker food and regretted most of it. It turn out to be so so.

Sometime there is the placebo effect or confirmation bias (google it) that us human being are victim of. It's a bit of that curiosity when you see something and you can not help but stand there to waste your time and just watch or queue to try. I usually ignore this part of it most of the time.. especially food hype. It is too personal to each person's taste bud.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Even show kcal besides each type..

ST_20160820_RTBEEBEE20052J_2533933.jpg?i

".....Housewife Annie Tan, 67, who went to Bee Bee Carrot Cake for breakfast yesterday only to be turned away, said: "The stall has been here for many years and people like myself are familiar with the taste. That's why we keep coming back."

Indeed, the stall is popular with many Marine Parade residents, who say they also enjoy its white carrot cake, which is fried without dark caramel soya sauce.

Madam Teo said that while they use factory-made carrot cake, all other condiments, including the chilli, are made from scratch.

Residents whom The Straits Times spoke to said the food centre's other chye tow kueh stall, Shun Chang Kway & Carrot Cake, does a good version too."

But guess that other stall isn't the fav of Schooling. Anyway sometimes it's like what Mdm Tan said....familiar with the taste.

Asiaone or i think Straits Times will post this too....a review of this stall....including the other one....they said both no good. They also recommended stalls in Toa Payoh Lorong 1 which they felt are much better.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/soshiok/schoolings-bee-bee-carrot-cake-really-good-heres-verdict

Well, don't know if standards drop due to large crowd...or it's like this. Or if reviewers got their own preferences. Mmm....why only TPY....reviewers are TPY kids?

Edited by nixorn

Tried on Saturday, thanks to my bro-in-law for waking up at 5plus am to buy. ^_^

Not one of the best carrot cake I tried but pretty decent. The carrot cake kinda feel very chewy. 

I prefer the black carrot cake at clementi market and the white carrot cake at bukit Timah market.

41 minutes ago, KENZ said:

Tried on Saturday, thanks to my bro-in-law for waking up at 5plus am to buy. ^_^

Not one of the best carrot cake I tried but pretty decent. The carrot cake kinda feel very chewy. 

I prefer the black carrot cake at clementi market and the white carrot cake at bukit Timah market.

I read that the stall owner, Mdm Teo, said she uses factory made carrot cake.  If you find it chewy, I presume you would find most carrot cake chewy - hardly any stall make their own carrot cake these days.  

I am not motivated to try the Beebee carrot cake.  The primary reason is that food is a very personal matter, delicious to one may be mediocre to the next.  I am curious to try the Beebee carrot cake though, only to check out if Schooling's taste for carrot cake matches mine. 

8 hours ago, yhtang said:

I read that the stall owner, Mdm Teo, said she uses factory made carrot cake.  If you find it chewy, I presume you would find most carrot cake chewy - hardly any stall make their own carrot cake these days.  

Yah I agree personal taste is very subjective de. 

It was my first time I tried a carrot cake so chewy QQ. Pretty interesting texture, Infact my whole family commented on the texture. Some possible reasons could be the size of the carrot cake (bigger pieces) or maybe due to cooking time because of overwhelming orders or maybe that day's batch of correct cake or our individual family taste ba?

Is not bad, if got chance should go and try it at least once :) 

2 hours ago, Guest Silky Rabbit said:

Anyone tried Roy Ngerng's father carrot cake stall in AMK?  I don't know where it was, otherwise will give it a try to show my support.

But how you know his father has a carrot cake stall in AMK?

Guest Carroty food
5 hours ago, Guest AMK said:

But how you know his father has a carrot cake stall in AMK?

I know his father sell fried carrot cake.  You know where?

Guest guest guest

any well known food blogger try any of this stall? those not expert  in food  pls dont  comments since they just eat only  to fill up their stomach during hunger,

• 4 months later...

many don't believe that Michelin doesn't mean good!
what is a good rating?

1) consistently good for the next 10 years or at least next 3 years

2) hardly any poor or bad ratings

3) look deep into each reviews, if the reviews are purely generalisations like wowww! wonderfuulllll, it is then a fool to believe it is good

ie depth of the review

to me, this failed terribly, not just failed

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d11904475-r450025287-Tsuta-Singapore.html#REVIEWS

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d11904475-r446173335-Tsuta-Singapore.html#REVIEWS

but for something cheap like a carrot cake, forget it

unless it cost you a bomb like the chicken rice (totally NOT worth it since decade ago , not due to the creation of these youtubes)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.