Male HQ

BREAKING: Singapore's 6th president S R Nathan dies, age 92

Guest ABC

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...dent-sr-nathan

SINGAPORE — The Republic's sixth President, Mr SR Nathan, has died. He was 92.

Mr Nathan, who was Singapore's longest-serving president, died peacefully at 9.48 pm on Monday (Aug 22) at the Singapore General Hospital, said a statement from the Prime Minister's Office.

Mr Nathan served as President from Sept 1, 1999 to Aug 31, 2011. Prior to that, he took on various positions in public service such as Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador to the United States, Director of the Security and Intelligence Division and executive chairman of The Straits Times Press.

Mr Nathan had been in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit of the Singapore General Hospital since July 31, after suffering his second stroke in two years.

He is survived by his wife Urmila Nandi. They have a daughter, a son, and three grandchildren.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Sorry but if the best President of Singapore, Ong Teng Cheong, did not get a well deserved public and respected funeral farewell, then I really have no time for good-for-nothings like Nathan. Let's not mince words: Nathan was a translator for the Japanese during WWI (just like LKY). That is absolutely not okay with me. 

The President of Singapore remains very much a figure head, a man of many ceremonies.

It is the Prime Minister and his cabinet that make most of the decisions. 

Of all the President, Ong stands out because he debated several controversial issues.

Unfortunately, things did not go his way.

After his death, (sadly) he wasn't given a proper recognition.

7 hours ago, Guest guest said:

anyone notice the date 22 august? Is same date with LKY.

7 hours ago, momod said:

LKY died in March....

7 hours ago, Guest GUEST said:

is same date not same month

4 hours ago, bigdanbeam said:

LKY is 23rd la

I think what the first post meant was sarcastically this: nobody really cares but everything will be associated to LKY somehow.... LOL

To think how differently Ong Teng Cheong and SR Nathan are treated is nauseating.  Totally shameless.

And the latter died when he was no longer in office while the former still in office!

Buay Tahan!

1 hour ago, Guest blog said:

To think how differently Ong Teng Cheong and SR Nathan are treated is nauseating.  Totally shameless.

And the latter died when he was no longer in office while the former still in office!

Buay Tahan!

Wrong. Ong Teng Cheong died in 2002, 3 years after stepping down as President in 1999. 

2 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

I didn't know channel 8 mandarin was so bad that they use the phrase "无私的奉献", with million dollars pay, it simply cannot be considered as "无私"....Also a lot of those interview simply say he contribute a lot, may I ask them further "like what"???

My thoughts exactly.

Guest Fun-eral isn't really fun
10 hours ago, superflawless said:

Sorry but if the best President of Singapore, Ong Teng Cheong, did not get a well deserved public and respected funeral farewell, then I really have no time for good-for-nothings like Nathan. Let's not mince words: Nathan was a translator for the Japanese during WWI (just like LKY). That is absolutely not okay with me. 

Ong's family decided not to give him a state funeral in 2002 because it was close to Chinese New Year by then. Before his death, he had asked to be cremated and for the ashes to be placed at Mandai Columbarium with those of ordinary citizens instead of Kranji State Cemetery, where late dignitaries are usually buried. The Singapore flags flew at half mast on the government buildings, including the Istana, to pay him his last respects

Personally i also don't think OTC is the type who will desire a state funeral. 他不会肤浅到去在乎或稀罕国葬仪式。这才叫人尊敬!Funeral rites are for the living. 人死了之后,做什么给他都是假的。

37 minutes ago, Guest Read on said:

Exactly. It is an insult to OTC's immense, largely silent but greatly under-appreciated contributions. It's appalling. For the younger generations who do not know Ong and grew up knowing Nathan as the face in the school assemblies and halls, please read up on the well-documented spat between the govt and Ong. Treat it as social studies. 

I donno to lol or cry at those ppl at the wake.

One was dramatically choked with sobs.

Another one said  ex President impressed her cos he never rejects taking photos anyone who requests.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

“Some people still ask whether my long previous association with the PAP will stop me from acting independently. The answer is ‘no’. My loyalty is first and foremost to the people of Singapore. It has always been so and it will always remain so.”

Mr Ong Teng Cheong 

16 hours ago, Guest blog said:

Buay Tahan!

不听话就没有. Sadly.

http://themiddleground.sg/2016/08/24/all-the-presidents-myths/

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest State wayang

It cheapens the state funeral thingy with this kind of pork-distribution mentality behind the motives and objectives behind the scenes. So meaningless and empty, no wonder OTC rather not have it as i'm sure he was well aware of and discerning about the details of the kind of clowning going on in the mechanics of the management of our country. So wayang lor!

Guest Shake Head

No thanks to last year's spectacle, Singaporeans are infatuated with maudlin outpours of griefs. It becomes a sort of, the current hippest thingy to do.

Guest Kimmy kimchi
7 minutes ago, Guest Shake Head said:

No thanks to last year's spectacle, Singaporeans are infatuated with maudlin outpours of griefs. It becomes a sort of, the current hippest thingy to do.

It's a competitive sport for aunties and uncles. And those aunties and uncles at heart. North korea here we come!!! 

01850534.jpg

12 minutes ago, Guest Shake Head said:

20160824_nathan_th02.jpg?itok=JkTMdE2o

mqdefault.jpg

On 23/08/2016 at 5:45 PM, superflawless said:

I feel the same. So many blinded people here!!!

16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

or should we say drama and wayang people, some I suppose they have no choice, maybe nominated to represent the company to go and show face.....

22 hours ago, superflawless said:

I disagree. Both Tony Tan and Nathan are both overpaid good-for-nothings.

If I m not wrong, Nathan is the last one who receive the highest pay, after that follow the victory of the workers party in 2011 election, there was a review of the pay package....perhaps as a democratic society, we should have a election to see if we need to have a president, how big is spore, we already have pm, deputy pm, minister mentor etc...even if yes, the candidate should not from someone who have served the ruling party, doesn't matter at the point of time, he had already resign from the party, it should be someone totally independent of any party...

54 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

OTC's family is the one that did not want the state funeral.. not that the govt didnt wan to give it to him....

and also.. a lot of people say the president never do anything... just curious.. what do you all expect the president to do? it is already in law that the president of Singapore is the figurehead but the real power is with the prime minister..

if i'm not wrong the president of Singapore has authority over its reserves.. and thats about it...

besides.. the guy is already dead.. just chill?? no point getting angry whatsoever..

Guest Graying sheeple
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Give it 10 more years for the all remaining uneducated sheeples to become senile or die off. The educated younger gen y and z are not that blind.

It will get better.

I don't know about others, but I'm confident my understanding of a figurehead's role is quite clear. I never expected SRN to be involved in politics, and frankly I'm not naïve enough to think he would in any way exercise his custodian role. But beyond appearances on TV charities, NDP, and the occasional news, what exactly has he done to maintain or re-foster national cohesion that warrants all these tears and laments now? In the short period after 2011, before TT took over, did he in any way work towards healing the divide in Singaporean society?

That sort of healing is not political, right? It's the very antithesis of politics. To encourage cohesion despite political and ideological divide. Please tell me what SRN did in that area.

Or is his role really just to be photography fodder? If that the case, I think the most sensible thing to do would be to just build a huge statue. Splurge once, and it's there forever. We don't even have to pay any academics again to debate about the "nature and usefulness" of an elected president.

30 minutes ago, Guest Graying sheeple said:

Give it 10 more years for the all remaining uneducated sheeples to become senile or die off. The educated younger gen y and z are not that blind.

It will get better.

I actually have a very different opinion. It seems to me that the middle age and the old people are wiser than the Gen Y and Gen Z. The former can do a comparison for themselves to see where the heart of the current leaders are. No doubt there will be an inertia for people to change the government due to the previous "good" job done during LKY's time. But now that he is dead, the old believe in him is gone now with the new batch of people coming in.

But for the Gen Y and Gen Z, who do they have to compare with, other than the propaganda fed to them over the past decade or two? And in fact, as long as the fresh grads still get jobs, they have no clue how the foreigners are/will be grabbing jobs from them. And with a low starting pay, there are abundance of jobs around. They will only feel the heat when they start progressing up the ladder.

• Guest locked this topic