Male HQ

Sick Leave due to lack of sleep

lonely57

Just wana check on your take on taking sick leave due to lack of sleep and will doctor endorse such a thing. 

Not that I am lazy or anything but I really just feel exhausted. I work mostly on site and deal with mostly low voltage stuff. After work I have night classes and right after that depending on assignment deadlines I may have to forego sleep and carry on work the next day. 

I have deadlines and tests this week. So I'm quite worried. Should I take mc? I mean I havent taken mc for the whole year though. And the haze is killing my nose.. 

I just feel like I have too little time on my hands.. D:

24 minutes ago, lonely57 said:

Just wana check on your take on taking sick leave due to lack of sleep and will doctor endorse such a thing. 

Not that I am lazy or anything but I really just feel exhausted. I work mostly on site and deal with mostly low voltage stuff. After work I have night classes and right after that depending on assignment deadlines I may have to forego sleep and carry on work the next day. 

I have deadlines and tests this week. So I'm quite worried. Should I take mc? I mean I havent taken mc for the whole year though. And the haze is killing my nose.. 

Don't you know you are given ANNUAL LEAVE to take for such reasons?

So sick still can play Pokémon Go ah?

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

I don't judge.

To get an MC (if you are not building a case), should preferably have a physical symptom where they can prescribe you medicine to justify your MC.

Headaches, Dizziness (the room spinning type or wobble type), muscle aches, joint pains etc are all non-visible symptoms that can be used.

If you feel you need two days MC, just ask for it. Else it's usually a one day default.

Taking MC due to stress is a valid reason in Singapore and then people stress about taking MC and missing work.

Lolz.. I do admit.. I take mc as and when I want... it's an entitlement... but nonetheless I give 100% focus at work... IMO, it's not a crime. Just don't screw up badly at work can liaoz.. 

Imo there is nothing wrong in taking mc when you are physically/mentally exhausted. I have taken mc before to rest at home. Just don'tlet it become a habit. 

I told the doctor that I felt exhausted and needed mc to rest. 

Honestly speaking, it is almost certain that you will be able to get mc at private clinic. Even if the doc does not give, just ask for it. 

If he were to give you only a day, you can politely request for another.

1-2 days mc is common.

Anything more than that you will need to have fever or severe symptoms.

No experience with company doctors, I don't think it's good to join a company that can only see company doctors for MC. Though they are there for a purpose, where dealing with certain types of employees are the majority they hire. Totally unfair statement, i suppose i can see the rationale behind it.

Worst case scenario, go see the doctor, wait at the clinic, half day of work gone even without MC.

Your best case situation is this. Explain that you have been under a lot of stress and causing disturbances to your sleep. He may be able to prescribe something for you and state that you would like to have a day or 2 to catch up on sleep and recover. Think of it as jet lag. When you travel internationally for work, no one expects you to show up at 9am in the office the next day. 

Love. 

17 minutes ago, keyboard said:

You'll be surprised how much the unspoken expectations from your co-workers are.

Quote the TS, "Should I take mc? I mean I havent taken mc for the whole year though."

If I land at 11pm the night before, there is no way I am showing up at 9am the following morning into the office. 

When you travel for work, your clock starts ticking the moment you leave your flat for the airport. 

Love. 

9 hours ago, doncoin said:

If I land at 11pm the night before, there is no way I am showing up at 9am the following morning into the office. 

When you travel for work, your clock starts ticking the moment you leave your flat for the airport. 

There was once I landed at 2am and reached home at 4.. I nearly cried the next day of work.. Along with those days that I went without sleep. Anyways I ended up taking leave. Thats one less day to study for me :(

To be honest, there is nothing wrong in taking MC; unless you are those chao keng type (which you mentioned you are not, and I trust you of course).

I can understand the overwhelming pressure/fatigue etc -  I have done it too: usual work. After work is either night school or driving lessons. If not, then OT at work ( I was a contract staff, still have OT pay then).

A day or two, just to rest (sleep) will be good. You must really relax your mind so that you can sleep well.

Tell the doctor -  you are very tired, you need rest. Or, if you are worried, then sorry, you just have to say you are having a very bad headache for days.

White lies don't kill; but fatigue will.

I think you should just take MC for 2 days to clear your assignments and prepare for your tests. It is no easy having to work and study at the same time. You are a human and not a machine. It's ok to take MC due to lack of sleep as you can't give your best to your work.

On 8/28/2016 at 8:59 PM, lonely57 said:

TS just go and take your MC and rest. Just tell your doctor the truth as what you have mentioned above. Your Body is crying out for the much needed rest, don't ignore your body's signals. We only got one body, health is more important. If no health, you don't even need to talk about work or class anymore. ( Chinese saying : We rest so that we can carry on further and walk a longer distance) 

Even though there is nothing wrong taking mc, but some company will indirectly penalized you when it comes to increments or bonus period. I have experience such thing before in one of my previous company. That year i am unwell on and off, keeps taking mc and annual leave. During the increment period, my increment amount is low, although my manager did not say anything but i can guess the reason.

35 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Even though there is nothing wrong taking mc, but some company will indirectly penalized you when it comes to increments or bonus period. I have experience such thing before in one of my previous company. That year i am unwell on and off, keeps taking mc and annual leave. During the increment period, my increment amount is low, although my manager did not say anything but i can guess the reason.

MC and AL consider you are taking rest from work. The manager will take these as consideration versus your work output and determine your increments and bonus.

My company entitle 7 days special leave for exam and revision. Together with annual leave, I can take at least two weeks leaves for exam and revision on each semester when I was taking part time degree study.

11 hours ago, Baby Face said:

MC and AL consider you are taking rest from work. The manager will take these as consideration versus your work output and determine your increments and bonus.

My company entitle 7 days special leave for exam and revision. Together with annual leave, I can take at least two weeks leaves for exam and revision on each semester when I was taking part time degree study.

This is why it will affect your increments,bonus and promotion if you take too many mc even though it is your entitlement.

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

This is why it will affect your increments,bonus and promotion if you take too many mc even though it is your entitlement.

special leave is not MC. It is for those doing part time study that need to take exam and revision. It did not affect my increments, bonus and promotion if I consume all the 7 days.

3 hours ago, Baby Face said:

special leave is not MC. It is for those doing part time study that need to take exam and revision. It did not affect my increments, bonus and promotion if I consume all the 7 days.

I am not referring to special leave. I was referring to MC.

• Guest locked this topic