Male HQ

Leave your Job, Get Rich and Be a Towkay

Guest cutejock

Guest cutejock

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/helping-poor-become-towkays

Great scheme rolled out...all can be business onwers or " TOWKAY"  in Singapore

np_20160917_rctissue17_1386359.jpg?itok=pmffzj-u

BRISK BUSINESS: Mr Jamaludin Awang (centre) and Mr Zaini Hamid selling tissue packets at Boon Lay Bus Interchange.

TNP PHOTO: JEREMY LONG

• np_20160917_rctissue17_1386359.jpg?itok=AuTbhKg7

Helping the poor to become 'towkays'

New scheme teaches the needy business skills

Sep 17, 2016 6:00am

Independence and freedom is what Mr Zaini Hamid, 36, wants in a job.

Born with cerebral palsy, he tried to make ends meet by selling ballpoint pens with crystals or embellishments for $10 each in Bedok and Geylang for six months.

That was two years ago when he could not get a desk-bound job.

He said: "I only earned $120 every month, after the company (which supplied the pens) took a cut from my pay."

His 33-year-old wife used to work as a pre-school teacher, earning about $1,800 a month, which went to paying for their monthly flat rent of $165.

Now, under TOWKAY @ South West, a programme that was launched on Thursday, Mr Zaini could make $800 to $1,200 a month.

The programme is a collaboration between Gobbler5, a social enterprise under the ComfortDelGro Group, and the South West Community Development Council.

It aims to help those from low-income families become financially independent by teaching them how to start and run a business.

From now till February, beneficiaries are given 1,200 packets of tissue to sell at $2 for four packets.

They are also given ez-link cards with a stored value of $88 to use for their transport.

Gobbler5 founder Janan Kwek, 26, said: "I was walking by one of Gobbler5's pushcarts which sells discounted groceries and I had a vision that one day, marginalised individuals can utilise the space given to earn an income for themselves."

Mr Jamaludin Awang, 57, who is visually impaired in his right eye, and his wife, Madam Mastura Haji Abdullah, 56, are also beneficiaries of the programme.

Mr Jamaludin, who used to earn $180 a month as a dishwasher, and Madam Mastura, a former stall helper, had to provide for their three children while paying the $230 monthly rent on their flat.

Ms Low Yen Ling, Mayor of South West CDC, said TOWKAY @ South West is a good initiative as beneficiaries can learn basic business know-how and work in a safe environment.

MPs, social service officers, family service centres or voluntary welfare organisations will screen potential beneficiaries and refer them to Gobbler5.

TOWKAY @ South West has three participants, but hopes to have five by year-end, and 20 by next year.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/helping-poor-become-towkays#sthash.g6d3R9Gp.dpuf

IS TOWKAY@SOUTH WEST A REALISTIC SCHEME TO HELP THE POOR & NEEDY?

Submitted by farhan on Tue, 20/09/2016 - 10:39am

towkay_south_west_sell_tissue_paper_card

I refer to this article published by The New Paper titled, "Helping the Poor to become 'Towkays'" - http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/helping-poor-become-towkays

Gist of it: government giving out free tissue paper and $88 ezlink card to poor and needy, allowing them to sell the tissue paper and become 'financially independent'.

I'm not usually this quick to criticize government ideas.

A lot of times I see some merit, though don't agree with the way it's implemented or some other reasons.

But this is an unusually retarded scheme.

A lot of the needy are poor, unhealthy or challenged in some ways. If they're healthy and able bodied, then they're probably much better off doing some other work. Even McD part timer paying ~$8 an hour. 40 hour work week have you get ~$1500 a month.

Time is a cost itself.

When you have them selling tissue, you're taking time away for them to rest, to upgrade themselves, look for better jobs, etc etc.

And for those with questionable health, this could have them get sick/unable to rest and rack up more in medical.

Acquire skillsets?

Are you friggin' kidding me?

Selling tissues, to put it bluntly, is just a cut above begging.

What skillsets do they acquire?

Negotiation? Nope, all things provided for them.

Networking? Yeah, right.

And what independence are they talking about? This would work because the ezlink card and free tissue paper. If taken not free, would that really be independence?

I mean, it's another option for the needy. It's better than nothing, when you look at it this way. But....highest paid politicians with so much resource. And this is the best you can come up with?

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/towkaysouth-west-realistic-scheme-help-poor-needy
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

SINGAPORE is the only country in the world to help its citizens to be Towkays / Business Owners and Entrepreneur and starting business. This is so awesome and wonderful.

21 hours ago, Guest GOOD said:

SINGAPORE is the only country in the world to help its citizens to be Towkays / Business Owners and Entrepreneur and starting business. This is so awesome and wonderful.

Yes. When one become a towkay, they can tax you more. 

Both parties win - win.

Guest amdkwayoflife

Every f@@ing thing needs permit this and that how can be towkays. No profits to be made after paid those BS permits, this is the legacy system left by colonial AMDK.

On ‎22‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:36 PM, Guest GOOD said:

Your brain grew in your arse?

• Guest locked this topic