Male HQ

Out of all the countries u been to, which country has the coldest unfriendly people?

Guest Chummy

From my own experience, Hong Kong (rude people talking loudly and pretend they can't speak Mandarin if they see you a Chinese looking person), followed by Singapore (grumpy stall uncles so far)

Personally, I feel it also depends on yourself. People do judge others by their appearances regardless nationality or countries. For Hong Kong, don't use Mandarin, this is no brainer if you know the situation in Hong Kong, in general, my experience in HK is pretty good. (To be fair , you get worse service in Singapore in general...)

Australia, ehh..... Studied there for years, have no bad experience with them, in fact, I would classify them as friendly even if it's just on the appearance. Though, if you are Chinese looking and assume they will approach you first and being friendly... then .. that's not ever going to happen. (There are many China stigma for the last decade, so if you are Chinese looking and speak Mandarin, you just have to accept people treating you differently).

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think it might be France... at least with foreigners.

Was told that certain shops in France don't serve foreigners even when you have money to spend there.

On side note, while Japan has the impression of being friendly (which can be true in some instances but not all), there are many JAPANESE ONLY spots in Japan (one of the more recent that is on media is, i believe, a sushi restaurant), which outright refused foreigners even if they speak better Japanese than locals... so yea...

Though, you will rarely encounter such spot if you only roam around tourist areas. I normally tend to roam in their neighbourhood spots which has less tourists population.

Edited by kenny7

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right, Japan is the only country I know where you can be denied the entrance of  some spots because you are not Japanese.

But they can also be very friendly sometimes...

Yea, they are weird. As in, I knew they are weird back then, but after many trips, I just find them more weird lol...

Also, they tend to give under handed "compliments" from time to time, so watch out for it!

Whether Japanese (not in professional/job situation) is friendly by nature or by obligation, I would lean more to the latter. But again, it also depends on individuals, if you strike a good impression on someone, chances are they will be more friendly to you than those that give bad impression. I do feel this is very much stereotyping on personal individual experience...

Oh, for Japan, Golden Gai which is kinda famous, will have quite a large frequency of Japanese only. Though this might be due to language issue for what's in that area. And of course, bathhouse, cruise spots(shops), "fun" services and bars all around Japan. Though Tokyo establishments tend to be more tolerant towards foreigners.

Edited by kenny7

Truth be told, every country has their own unfriendly, coldest people. It depends on how ready are we to accept such people.

Countries such as:

France (they refused to speak English, even though many of them are able to)

Hong Kong (anyone who speaks mandarin equates to Mainland Chinese)

China (Everyone speaks loudly, it is their culture. It does sounds rude when I first encounter them)

Australia (Racist? If you speak proper English to them, they do reply you well)

These are just some examples. Even in Singapore, we get a lot of unfriendly people -  even though most of us are able to converse in more than a language and dialect. A very famous local coffee chain in Central Singapore has this Auntie, manning the cashier counter. Every time I went there for coffee with friends/colleagues, she is always grumpy and never smile once to anybody.

They can continue to be unfriendly (or maybe unhappy) -  just do not let such attitude/character affect ourselves. Moreover, overseas means (mainly) holidays and work, we should be happy right? :)

35 minutes ago, kenny7 said:

Yea, they are weird. As in, I knew they are weird back then, but after many trips, I just find them more weird lol...

Also, they tend to give under handed "compliments" from time to time, so watch out for it!

Whether Japanese (not in professional/job situation) is friendly by nature or by obligation, I would lean more to the latter. But again, it also depends on individuals, if you strike a good impression on someone, chances are they will be more friendly to you than those that give bad impression. I do feel this is very much stereotyping on personal individual experience...

Oh, for Japan, Golden Gai which is kinda famous, will have quite a large frequency of Japanese only. Though this might be due to language issue for what's in that area. And of course, bathhouse, cruise spots(shops), "fun" services and bars all around Japan. Though Tokyo establishments tend to be more tolerant towards foreigners.

Any gay saunas that denied entry to foreigners? 

My impression of Japanese are they don't think of themselves as Asians or one up above the rest in Asia.  However, they are particularly friendly towards oil rich Arabs. 

24 Kaikan is the more commonly known ones (and a lot foreigners there), but there are also more local oriented unknown shops for the foreigners.

2 minutes ago, Guest Sauna said:

My impression of Japanese are they don't think of themselves as Asians or one up above the rest in Asia.

Erm, well... no idea, but in general, if you are Asian looking (Chinese?) you will not have much chances getting hooked up with the locals ^^. I blend in well while in Japan so most the time they have no idea I'm not local..hah..

56 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right, Japan is the only country I know where you can be denied the entrance of  some spots because you are not Japanese.

But they can also be very friendly sometimes...

Japanese smile when they want your money.  In general, they are very discriminative and self-protect their own nationalities to the extreme

Just now, Guest Coa said:

Japanese smile when they want your money.  In general, they are very discriminative and self-protect their own nationalities to the extreme

Well, replace the Japanese with other nationality, and it holds some truth for every country :)

Though, it is also a fair statement for Japan, it's just a weird country overall, I still love it though :)

TBH, I've never really encountered any particularly appalling attitudes overseas that reflects the whole population. It's like, yeah, I had brushes with grumpy staff on trains and museums and hotels, but these were clearly individual cases that are not reflective of the rest of the people.

I had quintessential arrogant French experiences too. Where they just stared or ignore you. But after a while, I realise that in a lot of cases, it's really a matter of them not understanding you, and not knowing what to do. Just because they speak English, doesn't mean they understand the way WE speak English. Many Brits I know feel we speak too fast and garble our words.

As for HK, which used to be notorious for this, I can't say for sure. I speak Cantonese, like a HKer, so I probably got it easier.

For me, I think, it would be the Philippines. i was there last year and I got rob. Was asking for help, then policemen asked me for money. No one helped me until i managed to get back to hotel.

2 hours ago, Guest guest said:

shenzhen people are the most unfriendly and cold

Might be some Shenzhen people are just cautious before you.  I have no problem with them as I find them rather friendly.

Guest guest No
4 hours ago, Guest Yes said:

Might be some Shenzhen people are just cautious before you.  I have no problem with them as I find them rather friendly.

if u got lost and try asking strangers for directions, u see what sort of reaction they give you. Very hostile and unhelpful. Totally different from Taiwanese or Thais. Even within china, Beijing or Shanghai people are much more helpful than Shenzhen people. 

The money boys in Shenzhen are of course very friendly because they want money. 

Guest 日本人論
On 27/09/2016 at 1:14 PM, Guest Sauna said:

Any gay saunas that denied entry to foreigners? 

My impression of Japanese are they don't think of themselves as Asians or one up above the rest in Asia.  However, they are particularly friendly towards oil rich Arabs. 

Japanese will treat tourists well and will be polite because you are a guest in their country. It's different if you want to make a living there. They want you to spend money in their country and leave, not set your roots in their country. It's getting worse now that many chinese are trying to open businesses in Japan. They really don't like it. It's true that they still treat Singaporean Chinese better but it's not as good as Taiwanese. For sex it depends. Some saunas in Tokyo admit all customers regardless of nationality.  There are many japanese who do look chinese so it is true that you can pass off as one as long as you don't open your mouth and speak but I have met chinese guys (from sg and also china) who have encountered rejection based on race. They say it's possible to tell based on appearence even if you are fluent. I find that hard to believe...

On 28/09/2016 at 10:33 PM, Guest Linyu said:

For me, I think, it would be the Philippines. i was there last year and I got rob. Was asking for help, then policemen asked me for money. No one helped me until i managed to get back to hotel.

Google - hong kong tourists killed in manila

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• Guest locked this topic