Male HQ

Losing Weight Concerns(Awkward)

clement_c

Introduction: I am 25, 167 73.5KG(Highest 76KG). Meaty but not chubby. I am shy(dont dare go gym or swimming). I was injured before in Tekong so i was from average built and became meaty. For the past one year i had been trying to lose weight, i tried no Carbo Diet and lost till 69KG but immediately bounce back. For the past 1 month, i was jogging 3km daily (I stopped for a week due to anal fissure). So i started jogging again and these few days i jogged twice a day (3km each - 12pm and 11pm). But my weight did not drop at all for past 1 month. Probably only from 76 -> 73.5KG. i dont eat junk foods or sweet drinks. Yesterday, i felt abit of pain at my knee cap. Am i doing too much and should i be worry? How long will i see the result? Everyone been saying the result is immediate but not for my case.

*I want to look nice and stay healthy so that i will look presentable as i have an upcoming wedding within my family. Really hope to get great advise from you guys.

Edited by clement_c
Adding more words

Guest 72%dark

First of all, I would applaud you for making the effort, even if you're not seeing results so quickly. Don't lose heart! For some of us, it takes longer for our bodies to respond to exercise. (Speaking as a TAF club alumnus myself, it took me years to reach my current state. Discipline and consistency helped.)

That said, a few things to note. Running is a nice form of cardio, as long as you're running within the aerobic zone of your heart rate; running short distances at high speeds will train your cardiovascular fitness in certain ways but may not be effective for weight loss. That said, running a lot also takes a toll on your joints, especially for those on the heavier side, so it makes sense to do low-impact aerobic exercise instead. If you're really dead set against swimming (which is a good full body exercise), maybe try some other form of cardio like cycling or rowing.

Next, you should also consider some weight training. Greater muscle mass helps burn more calories. A combination of cardio and resistance training works wonders.

Finally, don't bother with crash diets and fads. Just eat sensibly and moderately. In the end, if your goal is to lose weight, your caloric intake should not exceed your output.

6 hours ago, clement_c said:

Introduction: I am 25, 167 73.5KG(Highest 76KG). Meaty but not chubby. I am shy(dont dare go gym or swimming). I was injured before in Tekong so i was from average built and became meaty. For the past one year i had been trying to lose weight, i tried no Carbo Diet and lost till 69KG but immediately bounce back. For the past 1 month, i was jogging 3km daily (I stopped for a week due to anal fissure). So i started jogging again and these few days i jogged twice a day (3km each - 12pm and 11pm). But my weight did not drop at all for past 1 month. Probably only from 76 -> 73.5KG. i dont eat junk foods or sweet drinks. Yesterday, i felt abit of pain at my knee cap. Am i doing too much and should i be worry? How long will i see the result? Everyone been saying the result is immediate but not for my case.

*I want to look nice and stay healthy so that i will look presentable as i have an upcoming wedding within my family. Really hope to get great advise from you guys.

u must maintain the no carbo! it works cos you dropped till 69kg!

jogging will not help(maybe for some minority, not for most), I jogged till death and I hardly go for lavish meals and buffets, not only I didn't reduce wt, I increased!!!

swimming will reduce pain on knee but it is again: cardio, for me it doesn't work...
|
many men hate to believe yoga can b cardio too, esp gymmers, have u tried it???

but even yoga need a mth to take effect, so stick to minimal carbo pls.......

most accurate , good to use sg hpb: https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/93/bmi-calculator

https://www.healthhub.sg/live-healthy/410/Healthy Weight

Your running or high intensity must exceed 20min.. 3km would prob just set your body ready to lose weight, but not actually losing weight.

1. Try longer runs, once a day

2. Sleep more.

3. No carbs

4. Don't give up on your effort of no sweet drinks

5. Walk more.. you'll be amazed how this is actually effective.

6. Try simple static or weight training just after your run

7. Drink plenty of water 

8. Don't starve yourself. 

I'm not practicing all the 8 points, just heard from friend who is into weight loss.

I did the no carbs but i get dizzy and went pale. I have no strength and almost faint everyday, i guess its the main reason why i stopped. Life is meaningless if you cant even eat a bit of carbs.

I am totally a no talent in exercise. So 3.5km is like a 30++ min jog from me. (Non stop now, previously still need to stop for 5-10min). I dont starve myself and i drink lots of water.

I am eating Cai Fan daily(2 meat + 1 Vege, cant finish rice) then at night i eat like slice fish soup w 1/5 of brown rice. Sometimes at night will be normal half bowl brown rice + 1 vege + 1 soup. I calculate the calories all the time and it is less than 1.5k calories. But my body just doesnt go down by its own. Even now implemented exercise, i also dont see it drop. Disappointing.

So, i really wish to know when i can see the result at least boost my motivation a little bit.

Time to take glucosamine and omega 3 fatty oil for your joints . Jog less, for you are putting stress on your kneecaps . try intermittent fasting . and to loose and burn fat ,do hiit or Tabata . jogging is not good . you need explosive exercises (imagine sprinter body type vs marathoner body type . This is where hiit and Tabata comes in . ) your aim is to train until you pant like a dog and feel when you feel your body is hot it means it is burning . This is the effect which you want to achieve to burn the fats . switch to swimming instead of jogging for your knees sake. 

When you eat, it is not just about counting the calories. But also the amount of fats in it as well.

If you are true and consistent in your cardio, then I recommend you to purchase fish oil, green tea extract and also l carnitine. All are in pill forms and easily to digest before or after workout depending.

Also, if you are having pains in your knees, then do not jog. Instead, on a treadmill, incline the machine to the steepest (level 15. Reduce it if you think its too much)

Start with speed of 3.5 first. Do not hold the handles. Then gradually increase over time. Do this for 30 mins to 45 mins. It has the same effect as jogging. It is a long time but get an ipad to watch shows. One drama is enough to cover the cardio session.

Good luck! I always thought I can never lose weight before this. But with proper diet and exercise planning, everyone can!

I think you should not do the no-carbs and consistently low cal diet as your body will adjust and go into starvation mode. Once this happens, every time you fall off the wagon (and we all do) and eat that tub of ice cream, your body will store the calories as fat.

Of course, exercise is a given, though not as extreme as you might imagine.

After many years, I finally realized you have to trick your body. I found carb and calories cycling to be useful. For my height and weight, I need about 2500 calories a day to maintain weight. On days when I workout, I eat 3000 calories. On rest days, I eat no more than 1800 calories. I do this alternate days. The extra calories on workout days are mainly made up of proteins and good carbs. The above is not very precise as I can't be bothered to calculate like serious gymmers do. You can be more precise if you wish.

I also eat based on an IF timetable.

Using the very agar agar method above, body fat % cut from 18.7% to 14.2% over a period of 4 months, still counting.

For exercise, generally adopt a hiit approach, though not as fierce as in some gym classes. Principle is - keep sessions short but involving fast multiple joint movements. 

Weight training is helpful though as building more muscle mass increases your metabolism. But a lot of body weight exercises can create enough resistance for decent muscle gain without having to invest in expensive gym memberships and equipment.

However, I find it encouraging going to the gym and having that sense of community. Each person thinks differently and each gym has a different culture. 

maybe you should set your objective right. Losing weight doesn't mean that you would get healthier and looks better. You should aim to lose "fats" and gain muscle.

1. no carb meal is not a good choice. instead, you should take moderate cards everyday but choose healthier carbs such as potato, brown rice. eating cai fan is a good choice, but be careful of your choice of food. those gravy from the cai fan is the killer most of the time.

2. besides running, you should try to add in some core muschle trainings. i dont like to gym as well, but i will add few sets of tabata training or "HIIT" which targets at your core muscle. you need to train your core muscle to help burning your fats. the ratio of your muschle should be at least 10% more than your fats.

3. consume more protein in your daily diet especially every time after your run. I don't recommend those protein shake as i have friends who are suffering now due to drinking too much of protein shake. just take two boiled eggs without the yolk every time after your workout. chicken breast, fish, brocoli and mushrooms are good sources of natural protein.

4. give yourself enough time to achieve your weight management goal. it takes at least 8-12 weeks to really see the results.

hope the infomation helps.

All the best!

It sounds to me you are wasting too much time doing moderate intensity cardio. Start by swimming 30-40mins, but alternate (and be disciplined about this) periods of sprints and relaxed swimming. Work up to a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of relaxed to intense.

If you like jogging, then also alternate periods of a slow jog with a dash. But do eat well after as jogging can be tough on your knees.

No gym? No problem. Just go to the fitness corner at your local park and do pull ups, push ups, dips, step ups, scissor jumps, burpees and core exercises.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:23 PM, clement_c said:

Please start doing some form of resistance training to up your metabolism and increase muscle mass. Too much running and doing it repeatedly would not be of any use to your current situation.

" I am still not use to going to gym tho" (to be addressed)

you've good, and genuine encouraging support from all the above persons so far, and probably already have an idea for action plan while mindful it's foremost the food we choose to eat that can either reveal or cover our abs when looking in the mirror first thing in the morning. 

your achievable no-frills plan for a start with guaranteed result, trust me

(1) meals from today

am: oats (good inexpensive aus instant roll pats from ntuc, has protein, minerals and fibre) everyday, add milo/skim milk powder for taste and more nutrition

pm: salad w chk breast, plus cous cous, chick peas/edame beans/egg whites (many salad outlets in city esp rp area), later on can add whole grain pasta

night: similarly or wholemeal bread w low salt sardine/chk breast or tigh/turkey/beef/ommelette, hambuger wt cheese (many outlets everywhere, eg subway, mos burger, and etc)

(2) gym from today/tommorrow (get enthused by others rather than feel awkward, we were all there once)

we all start somewhere, sometime. it's how much we want the goal achieved or if serious enough to change

find a gym where you're most comfortable, just like us, and period after work and weekends to avoid crowd/space occupiers if prefer

use 3 to 4 resistance machines for start, for lower and upper body strength and muscle toning gains, and have 48 hours' rest in between gym days

(3) get min 8 hours' sleep, starting 10pm preferably

Well, i started resistance training. From this link http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-effective-at-home-weight-loss-workouts.html which i not sure whether its good for me or not. I only have 2kg dumb bell X2 at home. I did hear people say that crunches will not help with abs? I am also trying out like 100 crunches a day (Add another 50 per day). Anyway, i felt a bit demoralized because i do not see any result. Only i do feel that my bicep are much more solid(still shitty tho). Other than that.. i cant see any difference.

Edited by clement_c

49 minutes ago, clement_c said:

Well, i started resistance training. From this link http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-effective-at-home-weight-loss-workouts.html which i not sure whether its good for me or not. I only have 2kg dumb bell X2 at home. I did hear people say that crunches will not help with abs? I am also trying out like 100 crunches a day (Add another 50 per day). Anyway, i felt a bit demoralized because i do not see any result. Only i do feel that my bicep are much more solid(still shitty tho). Other than that.. i cant see any difference.

Crunches is just to make your abs look more define . if starting you never shave fat off belly you can forget about everything 

• 3 weeks later...

In order to loose weight, you can try to eat guava.

there is a zero amount of cholesterol in guava. Additionally, the carbs only exist in guava with relatively low amount as well.

Meanwhile, guava contains many proteins, minerals and vitamins, not to mention its richness of  dietary fiber

Therefore, guava is an ideal choice to make your appetite satisfied easily. You will feel full for a longer period of time after consuming guava.

Surprisingly, even thin people can benefit from guava which is supportive for weight gain.

As it is full of nutrients, guava can enhance your metabolism and nutrient absorption from foods.

Source: https://wikihomenutrition.com/guava-health-benefits/

Edited by stellabell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 17/10/2016 at 7:23 AM, clement_c said:

I never believe in no carbs diet. Let's face it, unless you're dead set on going for competitions to show your body and such, you wouldn't have the mental strength to continue when staple food are what we grow up with. Doing it for a short while, sure, you will see results, but the initial drop is always expected. Once you eat back the carbs, it just bounces back pretty quickly. When you go into a no carbs state, your body conserve energy by burning lesser at the same time (in a state of war like scenario), and when you start eating again, your body naturally will just take in whatever nutrients, because who knows when your next meal will be.

I also do running like you. Everyday aiming for 3km. It is slow, but well, you get the high from running after some time.

What you need to know is your body type. There are 3 out there, endo, meso, and something else, and they are describe like how easy or difficult it is to lose or gain body mass. Take a look at that and decide which is the one that fits you, because that will determine the exercise that you do

In addition, people have mentioned that it is where your heart rate is, and that's true. Running will push it up, but once you maintain at a certain rate, your body will get used to it. Try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or design your own. Put together several body weights exercise to push up your HR and rest in between so that your heart rate can be kept at a fluctuating rate. One example of my HIIT is 45s jumping jacks, 30s body squats, 45s plank, 30s running on spot high knee, and 30s alternate leg crunches, then you rest for 30-45s, and start the whole set again. You can give it a try, or just look around to mix and match them

Lastly, I do yoga also. People say yoga doesn't really burn fats, I beg to differ. From an outsider point of view, it seems like 'how difficult can that be? It is putting a few poses out there'. And that is absolutely wrong. I can do yoga and sweat in an environment at 4 degrees celsius. If you put in the effort to do the pose, trust me, you will be burning quite a bit of calories

Hope that helps! To hell with fried food and welcome all the clean green food!

On 12/24/2016 at 1:54 AM, clement_c said:

i have started gyming for a month plus... I hope i really lose weigh. 20 min jog then start the machines.

Please also do them regularly. Do the heavy lifts, deadlifts, squats, bench press, rows, etc. Don't go in and do bicep curls, triceps extension, etc. For muscle bulk, you really need to work on the compound movements aka exercises that targets multiple joints.

My weight gained till 75.8kg. now i am 72.9kg. Not sure whether is the effect of gyming or not. =P. To be honest, i went to stand on the weighing machine and it said my body age is 43. Ouch. Horrible.

Edited by clement_c

• 3 weeks later...

So disappointed. I gym almost 3-4 times a week. At night eat yong tau foo, no sauce no noodle. Lunch sometime also Yong Tau Foo.... No snacks no sweet drink. But never lose weight... Currently 73.9kg. Argh.. Do i really have to go just plain water at night.

Results dont come in immediately, the weighing scale doesnt really show if you have gain fats or muscle

Gyms are not a magical place that people go to lose weight, there must be constant effort and discipline put in

5 hours ago, clement_c said:

So disappointed. I gym almost 3-4 times a week. At night eat yong tau foo, no sauce no noodle. Lunch sometime also Yong Tau Foo.... No snacks no sweet drink. But never lose weight... Currently 73.9kg. Argh.. Do i really have to go just plain water at night.

Tabata and intermittent fasting.  When you feel yourself burn you are doing it right. Discipline ya ~good luck 

10 hours ago, clement_c said:

State the exercises you do at the gym. It could be that your program isn't optimal. I would strong believe so given that you mentioned your chest, thigh and tummy, but nothing about back or even gluts. Do your own dietary recall. Check how much calories have you been eating.I would strongly implement back squats, plyometrics (if you are conditioned enough), deadlifts, barbell rows, hip thrusters, weighted pull ups, lat pull downs. How many of these do you do?

Edited by xydboy

20 hours ago, clement_c said:

I think diet plays a very big role in weight loss, because even if you jog for like 30 minutes thats like only 100 calories burned right, thats not even like 1/10 of your daily calorie intake assuming 2000 kcal needed for weight mantainence. I personally stop eating after 6pm and only drinking water till the next day breakfast. Sleep early to prevent yourself from feeling too hungry... it works and I dropped from 72kg to somewhere around 66kg from just doing this and I don't jog or exercise at all. Btw you should aim for a 20 to 25% calorie reduction (Something like 1600 kcal daily allowed) every day to see significant weighloss in a month. Hope this helps!

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, melvinlam90 said:

Lastly, I do yoga also. People say yoga doesn't really burn fats, I beg to differ. From an outsider point of view, it seems like 'how difficult can that be? It is putting a few poses out there'. And that is absolutely wrong. I can do yoga and sweat in an environment at 4 degrees celsius. If you put in the effort to do the pose, trust me, you will be burning quite a bit of calories

Hope that helps! To hell with fried food and welcome all the clean green food!

it will be a joke, if anyone believe that yoga doesn't really burn fats and their craps/theories

yoga is highly challenging

Glad to see Melvin into it

Clement, a balanced diet is required

when u order yongtauhoo, did u grab some fried stuff as well????

Are your gyming regiments tend to bulk up muscles instead of "losing"fats (these, the above experts can guide u more or those male mags)
After all your gym, what do you do?Desk bound work, surf bw/porn and web , play computer games or watch anime or drama?
How long is your sleeping duration? Do u sleep on time??
What time is your dinner? (after gym)

I have friends who buffet at least once a month, oMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw,i cried I jogged , I walked and jogged too, I do all sort but failed
I m not going for Olympics, I don't have to slog my life for trgs and jogging (never will I join a jogging group too) I find it stupid to remember what u need to do at the gyms, how many sets of how many repetitions, breathe the correct way, I m a human, not a robot

When I was young, I failed to reduce my weight too

So?
u r very normal!!!
there is no 1 human ie exact like another, there is no 1 secret formula that applies to all

so how did I cut down from 68kg to current after years of failure, I guess the answer is obvious

I m not perfect, but who cares I m what I m , at least I m not at a risky level

https://www.sgh.com.sg/subsites/life-centre/life centre specialties/units/obesity-and-metabolic-unit/conditions-and-treatments/pages/obesity.aspx

Use this! https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/93/bmi-calculator

a body is to be maintained   for a gd reason
our body is given to us for a good function: not for body-worshipping, not for fame, not for glory or idolisation or gain access to something else
use our body for good and ethical purpose, not subject it for any other reasons be it whatever u can find an excuse for that

20 hours ago, clement_c said:

I start off with 15% inclined treadmill on 6 speed for 30 min (This was suppose to let me feel my glut pain but i feel on lower  back instead). Then i move on to the machines. I did not do dumb bellls because alot ppl occupied there. Each machine i do like 28 Kg 8 reps and 6-8 sets depending on my condition that day i will drop down to 21kg after 2-3 sets because of my injury(Slowly increase the weight). Well, i do feel my back pain for like 5 days but i still continue to go gym. 

As for the things i consume, i eat nothing for breakfast, just spam warm water. Lunch will be normal portion of food (Eg: One plate of cai fan/hor/ sometime Yong tau foo again( no noodle)) Then at night, Yong tau foo, no noodles. Only 8 Pieces max. 2 vegetables and 6 meats(2 fried) for my YTF. But then they are all steam cook so no fried in oil anymore.

STRICTLY NO SWEET DRINKS/SNACKS.

This weekend, i changed all my dinner to broccoli and chicken breast/sashimi. I worried that those fried little Yong Tau Foo will cause those extra calories.

I used the machine to weight my daily calories burnt is 1.7k. But i am already eating less than that if you see my meal. 

I gym at 5.45pm to 7.30pm- 8.30pm depend on my condition. I will have my Yong Tau Foo around 8.30pm. I sleep at 1am due to family issue. But i pushed to 12.30am already. Will be pushing to 12.00am. I wake up at 7.45am. Yes my work are more deskbound.

Edited by clement_c
Add in more info

2 hours ago, clement_c said:

I start off with 15% inclined treadmill on 6 speed for 30 min (This was suppose to let me feel my glut pain but i feel on lower  back instead). Then i move on to the machines. I did not do dumb bellls because alot ppl occupied there. Each machine i do like 28 Kg 8 reps and 6-8 sets depending on my condition that day i will drop down to 21kg after 2-3 sets because of my injury(Slowly increase the weight). Well, i do feel my back pain for like 5 days but i still continue to go gym. 

As for the things i consume, i eat nothing for breakfast, just spam warm water. Lunch will be normal portion of food (Eg: One plate of cai fan/hor/ sometime Yong tau foo again( no noodle)) Then at night, Yong tau foo, no noodles. Only 8 Pieces max. 2 vegetables and 6 meats(2 fried) for my YTF. But then they are all steam cook so no fried in oil anymore.

This weekend, i changed all my dinner to broccoli and chicken breast/sashimi. I worried that those fried little Yong Tau Foo will cause those extra calories.

I used the machine to weight my daily calories burnt is 1.7k. But i am already eating less than that if you see my meal. 

I gym at 5.45pm to 7.30pm- 8.30pm depend on my condition. I will have my Yong Tau Foo around 8.30pm. I sleep at 1am due to family issue. But i pushed to 12.30am already. Will be pushing to 12.00am. I wake up at 7.45am. Yes my work are more deskbound.

Not a very strong reason to not do free weights. You mean you gym from 5.45 to 7.30(or even 8.30), and you don't have a space? Come on...queuing and sharing wouldn't harm. If you don't know how and need advice, refer to the residential trainer, he will be able to guide you on it. Just need to ask, don't be shy. We all start from somewhere, nothing to be ashamed of. Moreover 8 reps and 6-8 sets. I don't think that is the optimal. You should be doing 3-4 sets and aim for 10-12 reps instead. When I said 10-12 reps it means that you will fail on the 13th repetition. That is the intensity you should be doing at. If you can still lift few more times, its obviously too light. Each machine 28 kg....hmm..I don't think you will be benching the same amount for leg press. Your intensity isn't right. Likely that you might not have seen improvements because of this. For your case, worry more about the training, the food part is fine. In fact, if you have been doing a lot of high intensity workouts, especially strength training, you should be increasing your carbs and calories. Furthermore, I'm not stopping you for your running, good that you keep it up. But don't forget to increase the intensity. Doing 12 weeks of 15% inclinnation on speed 6 isn't going to improve anything.

Edited by xydboy

A lot ppl very good at those weight training. Shy to go over take dumb bell. coze i only can take 2 kg + 4kg. Some movement affect my elbow joint. So most of the time, i just do machines. I did not do leg press at all tho... Well, for the reps, ii am already failing at 9th.. =[. As for the treadmill... i started off last monday from 4 spd 15%  then friday 6 spd 15%.  

Btw, i training to lose weight... dont want to be body builder =[.

Edited by clement_c

35 minutes ago, clement_c said:

A lot ppl very good at those weight training. Shy to go over take dumb bell. coze i only can take 2 kg + 4kg. Some movement affect my elbow joint. So most of the time, i just do machines. I did not do leg press at all tho... Well, for the reps, ii am already failing at 9th.. =[. As for the treadmill... i started off last monday from 4 spd 15%  then friday 6 spd 15%.  

Its ok, you shouldn't be shy. In fact you should be proud that you are making an effort to change yourself. Those who laughed at you should be disgraced by their own actions. Its alright to start at 2 or 4kg, i started from there as well long time ago. Now i'm doing more than 20 (depending on what exercises). You need to do leg workouts. If you exclude them, you will not see as much change. Trust me, legs are very important especially for building mass. The legs are even more meaty than your chest and arms. For my clients, I would put them on a hell lot of legs workout. Bare minimum, leg press, leg curl and leg extension. If elderly respond to these exercises and can cope, I don't think you have sufficient enough reason to not do them.

Today lunch, i did kickboxing for an hour. Gym at night from 6.30 to 8, 15 min of 15% incline 20 min 6.5 spd then last 5 min i do 9.5 spd jog 0% incline.

I did chest press (13X21KGX5 set), Lat pulldown (13x28KGX3 set then drop to 13X21KGX5 set), shoulder press(13X21KGX5 set).

The reason is down weight is because of my elbow joint injury. Disappointment.

Im probably tired and hungry because i only ate yong tau foo. . Dinner -> Broccoli, spinach, chicken breast and abit egg(half fry egg leftover).

There are still these 3 machines Pectoral fly( Cant feel much unless i put alot weight), leg press (I thought not needed) and bicep cur(Dont know how this will work) but i did not really use them. 

8 minutes ago, clement_c said:

Today lunch, i did kickboxing for an hour. Gym at night from 6.30 to 8, 15 min of 15% incline 20 min 6.5 spd then last 5 min i do 9.5 spd jog 0% incline.

I did chest press (13X21KGX5 set), Lat pulldown (13x28KGX3 set then drop to 13X21KGX5 set), shoulder press(13X21KGX5 set).

The reason is down weight is because of my elbow joint injury. Disappointment.

Im probably tired and hungry because i only ate yong tau foo. . Dinner -> Broccoli, spinach, chicken breast and abit egg(half fry egg leftover).

There are still these 3 machines Pectoral fly( Cant feel much unless i put alot weight), leg press (I thought not needed) and bicep cur(Dont know how this will work) but i did not really use them. 

I will rather do dumbbell fly, it's much more efficient than the machine. Bicep curl I don't really recommend the machine. Its not very difficult to use the free weights one. Have a check on the elbow injury of yours with a dr. I would recommend trying out close grip lat pull and also the close grip lat pull (just change the bar to the seated row bar). Reason why I don't really recommend too much machines is because with many pulleys in the system, it tends to make things easier. Not to mentioned the presence of cams. End of the day ask yourself if it fulfills the requirements of hypertrophy: 1) metabolic stimulus, 2) muscle damage, 3) mechanical tension

On 15/01/2017 at 10:37 AM, clement_c said:

With regards to the walking, you must know that if your body get used to it, it wouldn't burn more than your usual amount of metabolism. 

And you're trying to lose weight here, not build bulk muscles or build strength. The weights you should go for are lighter and more reps, like what xydboy mentioned. 

I have tried eating YTF for dieting before, but i realized that the meat they use are not as good as like the chicken breast meat you prepare yourself. There's always the extra sodium, extra added sugar and such. If you really want, and which is what I learn when I'm in the UK, prepare your food, even if it means waking way earlier, because that way you control what you eat. (beside saving money here as well)

Long period of gymming doesn't mean it is more effective if you don't focus on what you want to achieve. 

And also, one last thing, diet matters, but it is not cutting down. There is always that famous saying that cutting down your intake of food will force your body to think that you are undergoing starvation, which then it reduce the amount of energy burn. Eat healthier, that is the trick. Because when I see you mentioning that after using the machines, your daily calories burnt is 1.7k, that is honestly a bit too little (unless you don't mean metabolic calories rate, and 1.7k calories burnt is purely from doing exercise, then you probably need to see a specialist because burning 1.7k calories in one gym session is a lot, and yet you are still not losing weight)

On ‎15‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:45 PM, clement_c said:

Btw, i training to lose weight... dont want to be body builder =[.

but why lose weight need to do those ?

treadmill is fine though

some form of breakfast is impt too

2 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

but why lose weight need to do those ?

treadmill is fine though

some form of breakfast is impt too

Losing weight still need to do some form of resistance exercise to maintain muscle mass. Studies have demonstrated that muscle mass loss can accompany weight loss. Regardless, resistance training would still yield benefits such as increasing resting metabolic rate.

7 hours ago, xydboy said:

Losing weight still need to do some form of resistance exercise to maintain muscle mass. Studies have demonstrated that muscle mass loss can accompany weight loss. Regardless, resistance training would still yield benefits such as increasing resting metabolic rate.

ok,tks for sharing

did Clement try abit of hot yoga?

usu every advice I shared are painstakingly proven,

Melvin (above) and I shared about the goodness of yoga

"People say yoga doesn't really burn fats, I beg to differ. From an outsider point of view, it seems like 'how difficult can that be? It is putting a few poses out there'. And that is absolutely wrong. I can do yoga and sweat in an environment at 4 degrees celsius. If you put in the effort to do the pose, trust me, you will be burning quite a bit of calories "

btw, my straight friend who is SO MUCH larger than clement go to the gym + taking yoga slots ,  I can never imagine him doing yoga but his perseverance touched me, his weight is down by 10% in less than 3 mths and  he consulted me and other friends for food intake too

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.