Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

2 hours ago, Guest White Lotus said:

If everyone have to die then what is the purpose of life?

From a buddhist point of view, there is no greater purpose than seeking out the fundamentals of happiness (that don't lie within samsara) because we will constantly be reincarnated into Samsara otherwise.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:35 AM, Guest White Lotus said:

There may not be a purpose of life.   The concept of "purpose" is a fabrication of living creatures like us.  So much that exist in this world simply IS.  We cannot identify the purpose of the Universe, or of our solar system.  Yet, we insignificant creatures should have a PURPOSE?   So, instead of breaking our heads trying to find purpose, what if we just simply LIVE?

On 9/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, OneTwoFunk said:

From a buddhist point of view, there is no greater purpose than seeking out the fundamentals of happiness (that don't lie within samsara) because we will constantly be reincarnated into Samsara otherwise.

This sounds very profound,  like the purpose of us Catholics to "glorify God".  I always wondered about this:  has God created us for his glorification?   Isn't this some self-gratification?  I like much more the Buddhist idea that the purpose of life is to seek extraterrestrial happiness.  And however... what is the purpose of eternal happiness ???   🤪😋

On 9/26/2023 at 12:35 AM, Guest White Lotus said:

@Steve5380's explanation feels more taoist, though if i'm not wrong, buddha feels that big questions like the purpose of life is meaningless because there is no one satisfactory answer and so he avoids delving into them. instead he focuses on teaching people the way to escape from samsara.

12 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

This sounds very profound,  like the purpose of us Catholics to "glorify God".  I always wondered about this:  has God created us for his glorification?   Isn't this some self-gratification?  I like much more the Buddhist idea that the purpose of life is to seek extraterrestrial happiness.  And however... what is the purpose of eternal happiness ???   🤪😋

and i would say the state buddhists strive for is not happiness, more bliss, i suppose. but even then, it is not bliss. the ultimate state cannot be described by any words we understand in this world here. and i think @Steve5380 also touched on what zen buddhists also believe about how the striving for nibbana is also itself a desire, a clinging-on to something, which becomes an obstacle to attaining nibban itself.

8 minutes ago, poxster said:

and i would say the state buddhists strive for is not happiness, more bliss, i suppose. but even then, it is not bliss. the ultimate state cannot be described by any words we understand in this world here. and i think @Steve5380 also touched on what zen buddhists also believe about how the striving for nibbana is also itself a desire, a clinging-on to something, which becomes an obstacle to attaining nibban itself.

I like the way you interpreted what I wrote.  It comes with an acceptance of our ignorance, but it goes a little beyond.  In my experience, I find that when we are getting old, a vision opens into true nibbana,  a detachment from the need of purpose and a contentment with simply TO BE, and whatever this means is fine.  This idea is more elegant than to think that our death is a return to nothing,  and it may help explain why the stage in life of being old is something desirable.

Guest Living n existence

The purpose of life is to procreate before your passing so that human remain relevant on earth.  As for the gay people, enjoy your existence and that's that. 

Straight people live with purpose. Gay people simply exist to find their own purpose.

18 hours ago, Guest Living n existence said:

The purpose of life is to procreate before your passing so that human remain relevant on earth.  As for the gay people, enjoy your existence and that's that. 

Straight people live with purpose. Gay people simply exist to find their own purpose.

You paint the gay community as too selfish.  There are among us individuals who care about society and make great contributions to it,  while most straights don't procreate to keep humanity relevant on earth  but because they love to fuck pussies.

Guest Living n existence
6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You paint the gay community as too selfish.  There are among us individuals who care about society and make great contributions to it,  while most straights don't procreate to keep humanity relevant on earth  but because they love to fuck pussies.

Where did i mention "gay being selfish" in my comment?  You are putting words into my mouth.  I was saying, gay could not procreate and thus  exist to find their own purpose which could mean many things including contributing to society, enjoying quiet life and many things under the sun.  In order for straight people to procreate, they must love to fuck pussies, otherwise how else do procreation came about?  Not that many people have the money to do surrogate or adopt a child like you did.  Did you?

1 hour ago, Guest Living n existence said:

In order for straight people to procreate, they must love to fuck pussies, otherwise how else do procreation came about?  Not that many people have the money to do surrogate or adopt a child like you did.  Did you?

I am gay and I did procreate.  And I don't love pussies.  If you want to make a child, the likeness of pussy or not is not such a big obstacle.  

And I still find that your phrase "Straight people live with purpose. Gay people simply exist to find their own purpose." makes a distinction that is not real.   It can imply that gay people don't live with purpose, which is false.

Guest poxster

putting aside both your own convictions, the purpose of life in according to the buddha is to get the fuck out of samsara. because life is but an illusion and source of dukkha, and thus not desirable. everything we do in life should be to cultivate oneself so as to prepare our journey towards nibbana.

just to put everyone back on track to topic.

4 hours ago, poxster said:

putting aside both your own convictions, the purpose of life in according to the buddha is to get the fuck out of samsara. because life is but an illusion and source of dukkha, and thus not desirable. everything we do in life should be to cultivate oneself so as to prepare our journey towards nibbana.

just to put everyone back on track to topic.

Yes, there is a lot of illusion in life.  But it is also the best reality we know.  How can we think that it is pure illusion if we don't know any more solid reality?  Or is it all speculation ???

What is true is that we should cultivate ourselves so as to optimize our journey throughout this life, at least.  But it should not be everything we do in life.   

Guest poxster
2 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, there is a lot of illusion in life.  But it is also the best reality we know.  How can we think that it is pure illusion if we don't know any more solid reality?  Or is it all speculation ???

What is true is that we should cultivate ourselves so as to optimize our journey throughout this life, at least.  But it should not be everything we do in life.   

hmm i don't know if you've missed the header, this is a thread for buddhist discussion. as much as you have your own beliefs, i'm not sure if you're appreciating or even respecting how buddhists view the world.

there is a reason buddha didn't want to teach in the first place...

3 hours ago, poxster said:

hmm i don't know if you've missed the header, this is a thread for buddhist discussion. as much as you have your own beliefs, i'm not sure if you're appreciating or even respecting how buddhists view the world.

there is a reason buddha didn't want to teach in the first place...

The Buddha never stated that his teachings were reserved for Asians or Singaporeans.  His teachings were for all humanity.

As a member of humanity,  I have a perfect right to 1- like his teachings  2- interpret them 3- comment on them. 

Guest Exhaustion
13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

As a member of humanity,  I have a perfect right to 1- like his teachings  2- interpret them 3- comment on them. 

While you have every right to appreciate Buddhist teachings, are we really prepared to interpret or offer commentary on it? After practicing Buddhism for almost half of my life, I still have more questions than answers. Having seen how some people behaved in public, I don't even know how to understand Buddhism anymore.   Are they still applicable to today's reality, or are they just philosophical parenting meant to soothe a hurt heart rather than to elicit civility? Forget about heaven and hell or other spiritual element associated to Buddhism.  Let's talk about people—the real people who identify as Buddhists or ardent followers of other religions. Finding an elusive bit of virtue in their souls will be difficult if you strip them completely.  Simply put, I am tired bringing them up in my book.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:05 AM, Guest Living n existence said:

"Life is Suffering" - Life is a cycle of Birth, Old, Sick and Death. As a human u will experience these 4 physical suffering then 4 emotional suffering which is sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief, and despair are suffering; association with the unpleasant is suffering; dissociation from the pleasant is suffering; not to get what one wants is ...suffering.

Only those believe in the concept of GOD thinks we live to procreate while Buddhist never stress on that because the creation of life will never cease as long as desire exist. There is no need to encourage , there is no need to praise - Karma will push you to your own path. Why some are born to suffer more then others? Ignorance, craving, not understanding impermanent will make you suffer. You think just because you are enjoying today, you will be enjoying for life? Today you may be surrounded by your kids and wife but eventually one by one they will leave you and you will suffer. If you are lucky, u will die first and what? Does that meant your existence is more noble? Nope. Gays or Straight doesn't matter. It's just different type of suffering you will experience. 

Not understanding Buddhism will ensure that.

Edited by Ironrod

4 hours ago, Guest Exhaustion said:

While you have every right to appreciate Buddhist teachings, are we really prepared to interpret or offer commentary on it? After practicing Buddhism for almost half of my life, I still have more questions than answers. 

I agree.  And I also have more questions than answers.  After a long life I am resigned to never find an answer to my questions, and this can lead to peace.

1 hour ago, Ironrod said:

"Life is Suffering" - Life is a cycle of Birth, Old, Sick and Death. As a human u will experience these 4 physical suffering then 4 emotional suffering which is sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief, and despair are suffering; association with the unpleasant is suffering; dissociation from the pleasant is suffering; not to get what one wants is ...suffering.

Yes, life is suffering...  and much more.  I find that Buddhism is a good philosophy,  the same as Christ's philosophy.  These we can appreciate without a need to be religious.

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, life is suffering...  and much more.  I find that Buddhism is a good philosophy,  the same as Christ's philosophy.  These we can appreciate without a need to be religious.

@Steve5380 I hope you stop misleading ppl with your generic and general knowledge abt Buddhism. Like all religion, Buddhism also requires conviction to go beyond. It as a philosophy is merely touching the skin of Buddha's teaching. Even if you understand the 4 noble truth, you still need to uphold the 5 precepts, walk the 8 fold path, finally make the vow that Give Rise to the Bodhi Mind (发菩提心). It's not just all talk but its all practice through action of chanting, meditation and deeds. All of us are stuck in this Samsara and talking about it will get us no where. 

I will end with this link - http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp1_f3.htm 

Why we practice Buddhism, all of us have our reasons but remember only human beings can learn from the Buddha’s example. Only human experience both suffering and joy enough to understand the truth. 

Guest Thio Boh?

How is it possible to understand and discuss Buddhism in its entirety if one is not a fully ordained monk? It is easier to sip a cup of hot water and talk about Buddhism instead of soaking one's entire body in in the heat...and then, only then the fulll force of Buddhism can be understdood fully. 

Buddhist monk in meditation at beautiful sunset or sunrise background on high mountain

17 hours ago, Guest Thio Boh? said:

How is it possible to understand and discuss Buddhism in its entirety if one is not a fully ordained monk? It is easier to sip a cup of hot water and talk about Buddhism instead of soaking one's entire body in in the heat...and then, only then the fulll force of Buddhism can be understdood fully. 

Buddhist monk in meditation at beautiful sunset or sunrise background on high mountain

I prefer one hundred times to sip a cup of hot coffee.  And you should be welcomed to talk about Christianity without having to be a priest,  like we talk about medicine without having to be a doctor.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, Ironrod said:

@Steve5380 I hope you stop misleading ppl with your generic and general knowledge abt Buddhism. Like all religion, Buddhism also requires conviction to go beyond. It as a philosophy is merely touching the skin of Buddha's teaching. Even if you understand the 4 noble truth, you still need to uphold the 5 precepts, walk the 8 fold path, finally make the vow that Give Rise to the Bodhi Mind (发菩提心). It's not just all talk but its all practice through action of chanting, meditation and deeds. All of us are stuck in this Samsara and talking about it will get us no where. 

I will end with this link - http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp1_f3.htm 

Why we practice Buddhism, all of us have our reasons but remember only human beings can learn from the Buddha’s example. Only human experience both suffering and joy enough to understand the truth. 

I never mislead people, except when I make a mistake.  All religions have the potential to be misleading since they don't have any real proof of their doctrines.  But philosophies are not impositions about alleged realities of the world,  but they suggest rules of behavior.  So they don't preach the unknown, but they give guidance on how to behave.

Also, I don't believe that our purpose in this life is to leave this "place of suffering"  as soon as possible in favor of a nibbana.   Instead, the purpose may be to live this life to the fullest in the best way we can,  and not worry too much about the why we are alive or the what will happen in an afterlife.

Guest Fortunate Human Rebirth

While you are here as a perfectly abled human being, you have the ability to read and write, and you are endowed with intelligence (not an unsound mind), the place you abide in is not war-torn or primitive with no contact with the outside world or informed views, you enjoy these form of leisures and fulfilments, you have the opportunity to engage in some form of happiness (your happy and comfort moments) and you can recognize that there is SUFFERING - anger, wanting it so badly but not able to possess it, being accused by others, getting old and weak, health is deteriorating, being sick, etc.

Thus, by recognizing that there are sufferings you will strive to find out what are the CAUSES that result in your suffering. With the knowing of what causes suffering, you will then want to seek a way out of your suffering, PERMANENTLY. So, Lord Buddha has delivered 84,000 different ways in his teachings just so that we are able to find, seek and, resolve. With that, you engage on the path to liberation.  

Sound difficult? It is indeed.

Transforming one's mind is never easy. But in this lifetime, you can. You possess this rare and fortunate opportunity to learn, see a little bit of difference in becoming a good human being, and endow yourself with positive actions. The keyword is NOW, don't wait till you are lying on your deathbed or later because impermanent is a sure thing and it can strike anytime.  

On 10/4/2023 at 2:18 AM, Steve5380 said:

I prefer one hundred times to sip a cup of hot coffee.  And you should be welcomed to talk about Christianity without having to be a priest,  like we talk about medicine without having to be a doctor.

I wouldn't want to take the chance of following your "medical advice" rather than that of a trained medical professional.  You weren't taught the fundamentals of dispensing medical advice.  You kept advising folks, your age, to twist, fall and throw themselves about.  Buddhism is not for everyone, so is Akido.  

Now back to Buddhism topic, shall we?

There are three key things you should be aware of; don't complicate things for yourself.

(1)  4th Noble Truth is simply an "idea" of what it meant to be a living things -  from birth to...the end.

(2)  8th fold Path is an overlap and an expansion to elaborate on  (1).  The acceptance of inevitable journey - both good and bad.   Thus having basic knowledge of either (1) or (2) suffice.

The above is passive, and often appeal to sooth the mind. Thus it is a universally accepted knowledge,  like international martime regulations  every nation adheres to in order to prevent collisions

(3)  5 precepts - 5 rules a human "SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT DO", because Buddhism believe if you do good, you get good, and if you do bad you are demerited, and which determine where one will go afterlife.  This applies to how you act, speak, feel and think.  

Thus (3)  falls into an active department and often highly debated and talked about across different branch and sects of Buddhism.   Killing insects is also considered bad Karma (hinting @Steve5380) under this category.

Disclaimer, the above is my layman view. Not trying to  replace those verteran, deep minded, complicated, professional guru teachings 

Edited by Sweetie Pie

1 hour ago, Sweetie Pie said:

I wouldn't want to take the chance of following your "medical advice" rather than that of a trained medical professional. 

Not too long ago, if you followed the advice of trained medical professionals you would eat everything "fat free"  ( and sugar loaded ), to have your mental issues corrected with a lobotomy,  and even today if you had your LDL a little "elevated" you would follow the advice of taking daily a satin drug and a baby aspirin. 

(3)  5 precepts - 5 rules a human "SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT DO", because Buddhism believe if you do good, you get good, and if you do bad you are demerited, and which determine where one will go afterlife.  This applies to how you act, speak, feel and think.  

This is not exclusive of Buddhism.  Many of us believe that to do good begets the good, and to do the bad begets the bad. The effect may not be anything supernatural,  but a result of the principle of cause and effect, which we are genetically programmed to understand.

Disclaimer, the above is my layman view. Not trying to  replace those verteran, deep minded, complicated, professional guru teachings 

You don't need to disclaim anything.  Here we should be free to post our ideas without being expert professionals in anything, if we do it with intelligence, knowledge and good will.  ( you could write a disclaimer about this? )

2 hours ago, Sweetie Pie said:

47 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

This is not exclusive of Buddhism.  Many of us believe that to do good begets the good, and to do the bad begets the bad. 

Yes, it is exclusive to Buddhism, specifically the 5 precepts.  Similar to how the Ten Commandments are exclusive to Christians.

• Refrain from hurting, eating or taking life, any living blood creatures on this planet.
  •  
  • Refrain from taking what is not given, steal, cheat, scam, tricks, exploitation, dishonest activities, unfair dealings, short changing others, ...etc
  •  
  • Refrain from desires and sensual pleasure, materialistic cravings/attachments, greed, selfish intent, being light ears, not willing to give others,  SEX...etc
  •  
  • Refrain from gossips, lies, foul speech, bad temper, quick to anger, curses or words that intent to hurt others include your loved ones, FOE and friends...etc
  •  
  • Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind - alcohol, drugs, (smoking?) or hoarding excessive wealth.......etc
  •  

Which religions obey ALL the above 5 precepts if it is not exclusive to Buddhism?

When did I say Buddhism is easy?

Edited by Sweetie Pie

59 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Yes, it is exclusive to Buddhism, specifically the 5 precepts.  Similar to how the Ten Commandments are exclusive to Christians.

Oh no!  The Ten Commandments are in the first place,  JEWISH.

Guest U blur sotong
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Oh no!  The Ten Commandments are in the first place,  JEWISH.

First place Jewish, 2nd place Christian, 3rd place islam, they are all shared and upheld as part of the book in those religion. Now, get back to the topic and stop your nonsense. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can the Buddhism discussion be also deeply philosophical?  I found an interesting video worth watching: 

"The Nature of Reality: A Dialogue Between a Buddhist Scholar and a Theoretical Physicist"

I found in this video one of the most interesting cases in favor of Buddhism that raised my appreciation of it (starting at around 37:00).  I plan to comment more about this video in my thread about future senior gays.   

On 10/22/2023 at 9:44 AM, Steve5380 said:

Can the Buddhism discussion be also deeply philosophical?    

Not only Buddhism, but most religious leaders enjoy incorporating philosophy into their sermons. Similarly, rituals are incorporated into religion to make one feel more connected (or attracted) to their belief and the unknown.

In my opinion, anyone can impart philosophy, including the greatest writers, inventors, directors, actors in Shakespeare plays, leaders, and liars.  One can easily write a book on philosophy in their own small closet, which explains why there are millions of books in your state's library just waiting to be discovered and entertained.

Returning to the question at hand, is Buddhism philosophical? Yes and no, in different ways. Buddhism has been practiced for a long time, is well-researched, and affects not only one's mental and physical well-being but also their emotional state, as well as the five core elements of nature namely - water, wood, fire, metal, and earth. As a result, feng Shui was added to Buddhism. There have also been claims that the books of Buddhism also influenced the development of Chinese or Hindu medicine, and let's not even talk about martial arts.....and...I am getting ahead of myself and hopefully didn't offend anyone here. 

Edited by Sweetie Pie

Not only Buddhism, but most religious leaders enjoy incorporating philosophy into their sermons. Similarly, rituals are incorporated into religion to make one feel more connected (or attracted) to their belief and the unknown.

In my opinion, anyone can impart philosophy, including the greatest writers, inventors, directors, actors in Shakespeare plays, leaders, and liars.  One can easily write a book on philosophy in their own small closet, which explains why there are millions of books in your state's library just waiting to be discovered and entertained.

Returning to the question at hand, is Buddhism philosophical? Yes and no, in different ways. Buddhism has been practiced for a long time, is well-researched, and affects not only one's mental and physical well-being but also their emotional state, as well as the five core elements of nature namely - water, wood, fire, metal, and earth. As a result, feng Shui was added to Buddhism. There have also been claims that the books of Buddhism also influenced the development of Chinese or Hindu medicine, and let's not even talk about martial arts.....and...I am getting ahead of myself and hopefully didn't offend anyone here. 

Yes.  Conscious or unconscious, our mind adopts its philosophies.  And Buddhism has a lot of philosophy, as we find by digging deeper into it.  Contrary to the common idea of karma and reincarnation that WE come back in successive lives, according to The Buddha it is not our own personality that comes back.  But it is our karma that affects a ????  that is created after our life.   Interesting complex ideas that vary depending on the branch of Buddhism.

I still give more credence to the Periodic Table of Elements over the "five elements of nature".  And I think that Feng Shui is a happy discipline of wishful thinking.   My own feng shui is the influence of what we put in our mouth, our nutrition, plus what we breathe and what we do with our muscles, has on our existence.   Rather than the position of our bed and the color of our curtains.  But traditional Asian medicine is something worth paying attention.

I also hope that my ideas don't offend anyone.  After all, why should my ideas have any value except for myself?

9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

The Buddha it is not our own personality that comes back.  But it is our karma that affects a ????  that is created after our life.   Interesting complex ideas that vary depending on the branch of Buddhism.

I still give more credence to the Periodic Table of Elements over the "five elements of nature".  And I think that Feng Shui is a happy discipline of wishful thinking.   My own feng shui is the influence of what we put in our mouth, our nutrition, plus what we breathe and what we do with our muscles

Wrong!!   Buddha is not a physical person.  It symbolised a person's heart.  As long as you don't harm anyone or result in you returning to be reincarnated into something different, do whatever it takes to bring you happiness. You see Feng Shui from  western lens.  The color of your underwear has no bearing on actual Chinese fengshui. The five elements of nature are not meant to be taken literally; rather, they are meant to serve as symbols to aid non-Chinese people in comprehending the intricate heavenly matrix that is specific to every single person from the moment of conception to the moment of delivery and thereafter most part of your fate is sealed and some part can be altered through a person's behaviour and mindset.  In this regard, Buddhism may comes in handy, to accept what you cannot change, and direct you to what you can.

Edited by Sweetie Pie

10 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Wrong!!   Buddha is not a physical person.  It symbolised a person's heart....

The five elements of nature are not meant to be taken literally; rather, they are meant to serve as symbols to aid non-Chinese people in comprehending the intricate heavenly matrix that is specific to every single person from the moment of conception to the moment of delivery and thereafter most part of your fate is sealed...

You changed the meaning of a phrase of mine that you truncated incorrectly.   Buddha is not a physical person???  Allegedly he WAS a physical person,  Siddhartha Gautama.

I am non-Chinese and yet I don't need the five elements to comprehend the intricate heavenly matrix... etc. etc.  Why do our philosophical thoughts need five symbols?  Why not 3 symbols, or 10 symbols?  Take a pick.

8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You changed the meaning of a phrase of mine that you truncated incorrectly.   Buddha is not a physical person???  Allegedly he WAS a physical person,  Siddhartha Gautama.

Just like Christianity, the CROSS is not a person.  Anyway, if your belief makes you happy, what can we say?  I am planning to join @Why? at the North pole.   That guy is probably having a great time elsewhere and has entirely forgotten about what is going on in the Middle East and the Ukraine, leaving me on my own to deal with a difficult elderly man.

2 hours ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Just like Christianity, the CROSS is not a person.  Anyway, if your belief makes you happy, what can we say?  I am planning to join @Why? at the North pole.   That guy is probably having a great time elsewhere and has entirely forgotten about what is going on in the Middle East and the Ukraine, leaving me on my own to deal with a difficult elderly man.

Once you are a faithful Buddhist, you will have learned enough about human nature that you won't find people young and old "difficult".

You are right:  the CROSS is not a person, but JESUS allegedly was.

39 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Once you are a faithful Buddhist, you will have learned enough about human nature that you won't find people young and old "difficult".

You are right:  the CROSS is not a person, but JESUS allegedly was.

Where did you get the clue I am a Buddhist?  However, from personal experiences, I did find majority of human nature rather appalling. 

11 hours ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Where did you get the clue I am a Buddhist?  However, from personal experiences, I did find majority of human nature rather appalling. 

Oh, I feel sorry for you.  From personal experience I find a majority of human nature increasingly interesting and positive.  Maybe this is something that comes with age. 

There is a saying:  "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog".  But for me it is: "the more experiences I have with people, the less I need a dog or any other pet". 

12 hours ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Whether or not babies have memories of previous lives is not something to worry about.  Your concern should be focused on whether memory loss will affect you as you age.

Well said.  And what is important is to realize that dementia, memory loss with age can be prevented, and learn how to do it early on.   It seems that it has much to do with our good nutrition, maintaining a healthy metabolism and good microbiome. 

On 11/1/2023 at 12:44 AM, Guest Satyaki said:

Do babies when they come into this world have past life memories?

I don't understand the hostility towards this question. It is a legitimate question and I don't understand why we need to talk about whether one loses the memory later on in life or not. 

Anyway, there are many documented cases of babies still remembering their past life when they are born, but this is really rare and not the norm and I wouldn't speculate as to why. Even as adults, if we meditate deep enough, it is possible to review your past life, again this is from what I've heard, not from my own experience.

Guest I share too much
3 hours ago, kwongheng said:

I don't understand the hostility towards this question. It is a legitimate question

Legitimate question does not imply that the required response will be beneficial in any manner.   When your mind was confused, or in a state of being interrupted by familiar smell or sound (whatever that may be) while you slept, you weren't 100% certain that what you knew, briefly saw, or heard in those passing memories were your previous life experiences,  then also immediately vanish the moment you opened your eyes and returned to clarity and current state of mind.   You don't want to go there because it will make you feel unncessarily lonely and it was not even a nightmare to begin with,  after those brief "experiences".   The best course of action is to put an end to it from happening on a regular basis, lead a happier, healthier lifestyle, fulfill our obligations, and give this life our all.

11 hours ago, kwongheng said:

I don't understand the hostility towards this question. It is a legitimate question and I don't understand why we need to talk about whether one loses the memory later on in life or not. 

Anyway, there are many documented cases of babies still remembering their past life when they are born, but this is really rare and not the norm and I wouldn't speculate as to why. Even as adults, if we meditate deep enough, it is possible to review your past life, again this is from what I've heard, not from my own experience.

Should we have hostility towards challenges to legitimate questions?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 8:57 AM, Guest I share too much said:

Legitimate question does not imply that the required response will be beneficial in any manner.   When your mind was confused, or in a state of being interrupted by familiar smell or sound (whatever that may be) while you slept, you weren't 100% certain that what you knew, briefly saw, or heard in those passing memories were your previous life experiences,  then also immediately vanish the moment you opened your eyes and returned to clarity and current state of mind.   You don't want to go there because it will make you feel unncessarily lonely and it was not even a nightmare to begin with,  after those brief "experiences".   The best course of action is to put an end to it from happening on a regular basis, lead a happier, healthier lifestyle, fulfill our obligations, and give this life our all.

In what units should we measure the beneficial in any response?

One first unit could be knowledge.  If a response gives knowledge, for good or bad,  it is useful, it is beneficial.

Another unit is inspiration.  What can an agnostic or non-Buddhist gain from a response in this thread?  It can open new avenues of thought.  Quite beneficial.

Another unit is amusement.  Responses can be so absurd, that they can make us laugh.  And laughing is healthy, therefore beneficial.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.