Male HQ

singapore/nric-re-registration-at-age-55-to-be-compulsory-from-2017

fab

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/nric-re-registration-at-age-55-to-be-compulsory-from-next/3286564.html

Originally Posted by :
SINGAPORE: All Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) turning 55 years old on or after Jan 1, 2017, will need to re-register for a new National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) from January next year, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) announced on Monday (Nov 14). 

The same requirement will also apply to those who have not been issued with a replacement NRIC in the 10 years before their 55th birthday, the agency said during a briefing. 

The re-registration will cost S$10 for Singapore citizens and S$50 for PRs, ICA said, which is the same amount for NRIC registration at age 15 and re-registration at age 30. 

ICA explained that this process is necessary as photographs on existing NRICs become outdated as NRIC holders get older, and may cause difficulties in identification, particularly for the elderly. 

"Besides possible inconvenience to the NRIC holders, this may also lead to security risks because the authorities may not be able to correctly identify an individual based on his outdated photograph," ICA said. 

The deputy director of Citizen Services Centre at ICA Chui Wai Cheng also said: "There's also the risk that if the card is to be picked up by another person, the person could assume the identity of the rightful cardholder. It could be financial transaction or attempting to purchase goods and services assuming the identity of another person."

Channel NewsAsia understands that ICA had received feedback on such cases, but does not track the numbers as some are private incidents and were not reported.

In addition, ICA said from 2017, it plans to collect iris images at the point of NRIC collection. This comes after the Parliament passed amendments to the National Registration Act to strengthen the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) on Nov 10. 

Those who are required to re-register for their NRICs will receive a notification letter from ICA a month before their 55th birthday, according to ICA. They will have one year to complete the re-registration - from after they turn 55 years old up till before they turn 56. Those living abroad can re-register their NRIC within a year of their return to Singapore, ICA said. 

ICA recommended that re-registration be done online via the ICA website. 

"They can also re-register using the self-service kiosks located at the eLobby on Level 1 of the ICA Building. NRIC holders who are unable to re-register online can complete the hardcopy application form enclosed in ICA's notification letter and mail it to the ICA Citizen Services Centre," ICA said. 

Re-registrations submitted online will take about three working days to be processed, while processing time for mail-in applications will be about two weeks, ICA said. 

When re-registering, NRIC holders will need to update their personal particulars and submit a recent photograph of themselves, ICA said. 

An acknowledgement card will be sent to those whose NRIC re-registration is successful. For collection, NRIC holders can book an appointment online, or via ICA's mobile app. 

ICA added that it is an offence under the National Registration Act if the NRIC holder fails to re-register his NRIC within a year of turning 55 years old, or within one year of his return to Singapore if he resides overseas. ICA also said it will send out reminder letters both six and nine months after the NRIC holder turns 55 to ask him to re-register, if he has not done so. 

For Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents who turned 55 years old before 2017, optional re-registration of NRICs will be introduced from 2018, ICA said. Details will be provided next year.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Straits times is real bull shit. Look at the way they report the matter. Like as though everybody is keenly and enthusiastically awaiting for re-registration. This is definitely not the truth. People are lamenting about having to pay $10 but this was almost not mentioned in the report. And one bloody guest keeps complaining about ASS. Just look at how much bullshit is in your straits times.

Do you see what IC?

Coffeeshop owner Kenneth Lee Kiah Foo, 54.

Photo: The Straits Times

On Mr Lee Kiah Foo's National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) is a photo of a young man with an angular face and thick floppy hair.

But in person, Mr Lee has a plump face and a crew cut, speckled with silver hair. "I often get asked, 'Are you sure that is you?'," the coffee-shop owner laughed.

Such disparities have prompted the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) to make it compulsory to apply for a new card at 55 years old, starting from next year. Mr Lee will be among the first batch of Singapore citizens and permanent residents (PRs) to be affected by the change.

The new rule aims to reduce the security risks associated with the authorities not being able to correctly identify an individual. It will also allow better identification of older NRIC holders, who currently have cards with photos taken over 20 years ago, and prevent "possible inconvenience".

"People are sure to look different as they age so it makes sense to change the photo," said Mr Lee.

Mr Krishna Jayaram, 69, a part-time property agent, said: ''If the photo on the NRIC is more current, then there will be less need for the authorities to scrutinise the owner.'' His NRIC photo shows a much younger picture of himself with a full head of black hair, which today has turned grey and receded.

They were among 10 people The Sunday Times spoke to, who agreed with the rationale behind the ICA's decision, though they had never been denied services because of their outdated photos.

''It could be because my facial features have not changed much with age,'' said Mr Krishna.

One issue that has been brought upon line is the cost of applying for a new NRIC. The re-registration will cost $10 for citizens and $50 for PRs. ''If it is compulsory, then I feel that the Government should waive the cost,'' said Mr Krishna, echoing the online sentiment.

From 2018, Singapore citizens and PRs born before 1962, will also have the option of re-registering for a new NRIC, though it will not be compulsory. Food-stall owner Rabiah Md Yasin, 57, will probably choose not to: ''You need to take a new photo, make an appointment, and also queue. It takes a lot of your time.''

Granddad needs glasses now

2733_1479623218_0.jpg  

"Last time, I didn't have to wear glasses. Now I am long-sighted, so I cannot see things at close quarters." Mr Lim The Wang was 37 and working as a shoe-store manager at Thomson Plaza, then better known as Thomson Yaohan, when he took his NRIC photo in 1992.

The now-defunct supermarket chain was then attracting throngs of customers. "It was very crowded and also full of families," said Mr Lim, now 61, who also goes by the name Tony now.

Today, the grandfather of two is a director at family business Pest Solutions Singapore.

Where did all the hair go?

2733_1479623218_1.jpg  

"Just look at my hair, it used to be so long and thick. Now it's so short and getting thinner." Life has not changed much for Mr Lee Kiah Foo, 54, since his NRIC photo was taken 23 years ago.

Mr Lee, who is known to friends as Kenneth, was and still is an owner of a coffee shop in Toa Payoh, a business he took over from his father.

He said that 1993 is a special year for him, because that was when his daughter was born.

"She was my first child and I will never forget the first time I saw her and the excitement I felt," said Mr Lee, who now has two sons as well.

Another shot at a better shot

2733_1479623219.jpg  

"I don't like my photo, I look ugly in it. I think I look better now."

Madam Tang Seok Wang, 78, had her photo taken when she was 53, in 1991. The housewife has seven children, all in their 60s, and 10 grandchildren.

She joked that she would be happy to change her NRIC if it meant having a prettier photo.

Greyer hair, bigger belly

2733_1479623219_0.jpg  

"My hair is much greyer and my skin seems more saggy compared to before. That's only the facial part. If you go lower, then I will say I also have a bigger belly."

Mr Krishna Jayaram, 69, who is now a part-time property agent, was an investor in the property market when his NRIC photo was taken in 1991.

He feels his features have not changed much overall, but Singapore has.

"Prices have gone up. Compare having coffee for 50 cents then to $1.30 today," said the grandfather of two.

Thicker hair and smoother skin then

2733_1479623218.jpg  

"I was much younger. My hair was longer and thicker and my skin was also smoother." When her NRIC photo was taken in 1994, Madam Rabiah Md Yasin had just given birth to her fifth and youngest child, a girl, at 36 years old.

She ran a food business with her husband and more than 20 workers, and had stalls in several canteens and coffee shops.

She gave up the business after her husband died seven years ago, but staying home proved too stressful financially.Today, the 57-year-old runs a Malay food stall at a coffee shop in Toa Payoh using her mother's recipes.

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/do-you-see-what-ic#sthash.JOVD9vKF.dpuf

Wanna change is can but it must be foc for sgreans afterall most above 55 r retirees. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• Guest locked this topic