Male HQ

Is having an LV will make someone's status in Singapore as rich?

Guest Ebeng

I have noticed that even aunties who are going to the markets are having LV bags. When I was younger, my mother wants an LV and keeps asking my father to buy her one because it could look her rich. What is the difference now if common Aunties even have one? I'm also wondering if those are even real.

2 hours ago, Guest Ebeng said:

I have noticed that even aunties who are going to the markets are having LV bags. When I was younger, my mother wants an LV and keeps asking my father to buy her one because it could look her rich. What is the difference now if common Aunties even have one? I'm also wondering if those are even real.

Why cannot 'common aunties' have a LV? What is wrong for them having a bit of luxury?

These 'common aunties' are the backbone of the nation. They worked hard to raise children, manage the household and some may even work to bring some money home.

So what is wrong with them in wanting a LV wallet or bag? 

You talk smacks of elitist attitude. 

You belittle the common folks with your talk. 

9 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Why cannot 'common aunties' have a LV? What is wrong for them having a bit of luxury?

These 'common aunties' are the backbone of the nation. They worked hard to raise children, manage the household and some may even work to bring some money home.

So what is wrong with them in wanting a LV wallet or bag? 

You talk smacks of elitist attitude. 

You belittle the common folks with your talk. 

Bravo - much love for you sir!

2 hours ago, Guest Ebeng said:

I think is.. what most ladies in that generation want. E.g. all the aunties in the market have a lv, so they will also want a lv. Den when they keep asking their husband to buy, their daughter who have grown out of their shadow will get influence and also want a lv.

I prefer prada.. another old brand. But ya.. can I have a prada backbag?

8 minutes ago, Summerbitch said:

I think is.. what most ladies in that generation want. E.g. all the aunties in the market have a lv, so they will also want a lv. Den when they keep asking their husband to buy, their daughter who have grown out of their shadow will get influence and also want a lv.

I prefer prada.. another old brand. But ya.. can I have a prada backbag?

What! U want prata.n bareback?haha

Joke aside.as i mentioned in the other thread.no need to own any branded bag to b rich in spore.everyone even environment staffs r rich in spore.unlike other countries where there's big gap between rich n poor.the most important thing is to have a good attitude.u can b stupid or poor but maintain a good attitude.n manners.thats when ppl like me look up at u.

Guest Aunty Lucy
4 minutes ago, cutejack said:

What! U want prata.n bareback?haha

Joke aside.as i mentioned in the other thread.no need to own any branded bag to b rich in spore.everyone even environment staffs r rich in spore.unlike other countries where there's big gap between rich n poor.the most important thing is to have a good attitude.u can b stupid or poor but maintain a good attitude.n manners.thats when ppl like me look up at u.

I strongly believe in this capitalist world, I notice many unhappy rich and happy poor people around us.  Rich people tend to behave crappily, like the world owe them a living.

A branded bag doesn't makes a person attain a higher status. It is the character, actions of a person that makes the person.

A monetary rich person maybe carrying a brand-less bag while a monetary less rich person maybe carrying a branded bag. It just depends on individual perspective -  what do they prefer in life.

Most importantly, use something that suits you, not to suit/show off to others.

Guest Guest Richie

I agree with TS...i get so sick when i see aunties and uncles carry LV...really bring down the brand. 

That is why whenever i need a bag, i would call Ghesquiere or Vaccarello to custom a  one of a kind bag or wallet for me. Yes, it cost so much more and time consuming but it is worth it. Not only it cost about 10 times or more for the bag, samples sometimes need to be brought to me with an assistant from paris as I want to look at the material and design 1st..the cost of bring in the bag, airfare and accomodation is additional.

I cannot remember when was the last time I bought a off the counter wallet or bag.

25 minutes ago, thorzguy said:

A branded bag doesn't makes a person attain a higher status. It is the character, actions of a person that makes the person.

A monetary rich person maybe carrying a brand-less bag while a monetary less rich person maybe carrying a branded bag. It just depends on individual perspective -  what do they prefer in life.

Most importantly, use something that suits you, not to suit/show off to others.

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?"

"It was great, Dad."

"Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.

"Oh yeah," said the son.

"So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father. The son answered:

"I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are."

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have.

Its the character that defines a person, not materials. From this topic we can see many materialistic people... 

Love the abv answer. 

TS, probably u r still young and asking for materialistic questions. some of them here already said: showing off branded material goods dont make you higher status or a better person. We, human has to look beyond materials before we can achieve any good for ourselves. 

Regardless, Gucci /Prada/LV, they are just materials but don't mean anything.

1 hour ago, Guest Agreed said:

Love the abv answer. 

TS, probably u r still young and asking for materialistic questions. some of them here already said: showing off branded material goods dont make you higher status or a better person. We, human has to look beyond materials before we can achieve any good for ourselves. 

Regardless, Gucci /Prada/LV, they are just materials but don't mean anything.

What utter rubbish. Lol. Its because you cannot afford. If a person can afford it why not? Who are you to judge?

Plenty of moral police here. If you choose not to have or cannot afford branded goods...is there a need to put down those who can to make you feel better?

Amd kimochi's write up is fiction.

A little perturbed by the very ungrammatical question posted as the topic. Sorry to go off-topic a little but all the branded goods cannot make up for a lack of class sometimes, if you know what I mean. Don't mean to offend anyone. Let's help each other improve our language :) 

5 minutes ago, thorzguy said:

Fiction or not, Kimochi is telling us the above message. Nothing wrong with that.

Is there anything wrong with being materialistic? What is materialistic? FB founde4 spent a fortune building Jarvis, is that materialistic? If one can afford it and worked for it, why not?

If a person of great wealth only sleeps in the finest sheets, bath in evian, wears only designer cloths, is that materialistic if he can afford it? Or should he dumb down himself and wears zara to avoid being called one?

my mantra is if one can afford it, go for it. It is their choice. Do not have to put others down or label names to satisfy one's morals.

The truly rich are too busy earning money and living a great life.

They will not be caught dead wasting time hanging around a forum for even a minute talking rubbish and picking up fashion and financial tips from bottom feeding wannabe-rich-persons. Keep your mantra, keep day dreaming and hanging around here.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Frankly i only have five LV bags ( three Satellites and two huge Bistern bags) which i only use as check-in bags for they are heavy to be carried in the cabin. As for cabin bag i only use a very simple and reasonably affordable but light weight  Longchamps bag. But those LV does not make me a rich feeling even i always got attention at the airports and hotels. I am glad that even common aunties and uncles in Singapore can afford them. It is not meant for the rich only. There is nothing wrong in possessing a little luxury if they can afford it.

Well if one thinks that LV or any other branded goods is a must have, so be it.

If he gets that "atas" feeling because he owns it, so be it.

The coin has 2 faces - someone may desire "branded/atas" goods whereas others "detest" them. I went through that "material girl" phase and have no regrets that I'd spend those amount which I can afford.   But it is surely too damn tired to keep up with the annual change and the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality.

The only comment I want to share is "please behave and dressed appropriately".. Christmas is over and there is no need to have labels shouting out of you..

15 minutes ago, abang said:

Well if one thinks that LV or any other branded goods is a must have, so be it.

If he gets that "atas" feeling because he owns it, so be it.

The coin has 2 faces - someone may desire "branded/atas" goods whereas others "detest" them. I went through that "material girl" phase and have no regrets that I'd spend those amount which I can afford.   But it is surely too damn tired to keep up with the annual change and the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality.

The only comment I want to share is "please behave and dressed appropriately".. Christmas is over and there is no need to have labels shouting out of you..

Again our dear Big Sister here have to comment as Big Sister can Connect due to her EXPERIENCE...

again same structure...start with being non judgemental but end with an attack.

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

What utter rubbish. Lol. Its because you cannot afford. If a person can afford it why not? Who are you to judge?

Plenty of moral police here. If you choose not to have or cannot afford branded goods...is there a need to put down those who can to make you feel better?

Amd kimochi's write up is fiction.

Guest, Are u not judgemental?

Maybe u r plain naive and immature. We are not talking about affordability.   In Singapore, if u have a job and work, who can't afford a LV.....u r a child if not are just childish.

If the Topic is, 'will u be considered as Rich if u own a GCB at 6th Ave?' Then that will be an different answer.

The Topic is 'Is having an LV will make someone's status in Singapore as rich?'

The answer is obviously no. And is plain materialistic in my opinion.  

Took a spin at LV today with a colleague. Frankly speaking, for a luxury brand, LV does have plenty of items that are below $3,000. So it is somewhat affordable luxury. No, carrying an LV bag does not connote that you are rich. It just shows that you lack something money cannot buy. Class. 

Love. 

LV means more to Asian then Westerners. And It was actually teh Japanese in particular that saved this brand that was not doing well way back when.

I heard this pretty often from European friends and some are from the fashion industry in Europe. The really rich and people with real taste in fashion, buys brands most here either don't know or can't pronounce it. And for the really well to do who want to use fashion to showcase they have truly arrived to their peers or equals ( not be seen bu your regular joe with a LV wallet and call themselves rich or good taste.. they go 'bespoke' and have those brands make exclusive designs just for them.

This is not to belittle anyone here but general information and things people really close to the Fashion trade know.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Sun Hoe
21 hours ago, Guest Kong Hee said:

Baby, did you not see the post. Now LV not regarded as high class anymore. I buy you birkins ok? 

baby!!

i told u mani times oredi..

i juz want a sentosa cove..

dun uu get it?!

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest

No. Even hawker aunties uses original LV bags. See them after work. Not much difference from the rest who brings LV bag once their duties end.

• Guest locked this topic