Male HQ

Long sighted - starts at what age?

Guest Jackie

Hi guys, at what age does far sighted start to happen?

I am early 30s, but realize my short distance vision like a bit harder to focus than before.

I have short-sighted vision too.

I'm in my mid 30.  Recently realise the same too.  Need to pull my glass down to see or read near items.  Sometimes get so tired of this taking on and off the glasses that I just don't wear.  I think there is a name to it.  Presbyopia.  Need to do progressive lenses.  I might be doing mine at Ownday.

Read from somewhere that, presbyopia is one of the first signs internal aging.

When we get older, slowly and surely, each and every organ will age.  But eyesight is the indicator of the rate the internal aging is.

Inability to see a certain distance means that the muscles around the eyeball is losing its elasticity.

That explains some people have this problem as early as early 30s, and some may not even have presbyopia at the age of 50.

Presbyopia, or long-sightedness, is actually the loss of ability for the muscles in your eyes to flex the lens to change its focal length to accommodate near-field vision. I started getting symptoms in my mid-40s, and have resigned myself to the fate that it will only get more pronounced.

Слава Україні!

There is no "FORMULA" that can tell you how everyone gets it. No set of human eyes are the same. 

It depends on how you 'use' yours. If you are in front of the computer screen doing work everyday, you likely to be like me will have bad eyes and need glass earlier on. If you take care of your eyes, you will still get it over time but it does not mean it has to be in your 30s or 40 so or 50s. 

The only way you know is by visiting Ophthalmologist or Optometrist or Optician to be sure... a professional who actually diagnose your eyes. Most of the time you are already needing it but your eyes adjust to the strain but it is when it get really bad that you end up going to a professional to get your eyes tested.

There is no one cheaper way to do this then in a spectacle shop. the earlier you detect it the better as it will help you fit on a pair earlier and slow down the deterioration

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

2 hours ago, Guest iSite said:

Mine started when I was 36, friends told me its cos I had perfect vision before, so onset is earlier.

Supposedly, the onset of presbyopia is earlier for people without myopia. However, I have perfect eyesight and only got symptoms for presbyopia in my mid-40s. Lucky, perhaps?

Слава Україні!

6 hours ago, sgmaven said:

Supposedly, the onset of presbyopia is earlier for people without myopia. However, I have perfect eyesight and only got symptoms for presbyopia in my mid-40s. Lucky, perhaps?

I had super sharp eyes... till the time of computer and being someone who work on PC from graphic designing to internet web design and other nerdy stuff... I spend too much time at the computer and not take time to go look outside the room, my eyes got strain and that is what cause my eyes to go bad quicker.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

19 minutes ago, upshot said:

I had super sharp eyes... till the time of computer and being someone who work on PC from graphic designing to internet web design and other nerdy stuff... I spend too much time at the computer and not take time to go look outside the room, my eyes got strain and that is what cause my eyes to go bad quicker.

I agree that computer monitors, especially the CRTs of old, are terrible for the eyes. My eyesight went from 6/4 to 6/5 in my one-year stint as a programmer in NS.

Слава Україні!

Guest Guest
23 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Lasik cannot correct presbyopia because it will get worsen as one gets older. 

With this type of reasoning, what can Lasik correct then? :doh:

11312680619742lu.gif

16 hours ago, sgmaven said:

I agree that computer monitors, especially the CRTs of old, are terrible for the eyes. My eyesight went from 6/4 to 6/5 in my one-year stint as a programmer in NS.

Yeah. Monitor, tablets and even hand phone screen are bad for eyes. 

There is no standard age when long sighted will starts.

My mom - late 40s/ early 50s.

My bro - at late 30s.

My sis - at mid 40s.

Me? Touch wood -  so far (still) so good.

All these phones. laptops, TV etc..are actually killing our eyes. Do remind yourself to take your eyes off for every 45mins or an hour of near work (though I am guilty for not doing that too)....and don't kiss your gadgets! Often, we forgot and sit so near to these stuff.

And, once your far sighted has stabilized, it is possible to do lasik, subjected to the health condition of your eyes. I have friends in their 50s, done it and happily ever after. :)

• Guest locked this topic