Male HQ

Video: BBC asks PM Lee Hsien Loong about Section 377A

groyn88

During the BBC episode of HARDtalk aired on Tuesday, 28 February 2017, host Stephen Sackur asked Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong about homosexuality and gay equality.

Transcript:

Sackur: Let me ask you a personal question. I mean, I don't wish to sound rude in any way but...
Lee: You never are.
Sackur: ...if any of your children or grandchildren were gay, would that change your perspective? Would you then think it were unacceptable for consenting adults to be criminalised this way?
Lee: I think that it's a law which is there. If I remove it, I will not remove the problem. Because if you look at what has happened in the West, I mean in Britain, you decriminalised it in the 1960s, your attitudes have changed a long way but even now, gay marriage is contentious. In America, it's very contentious. Even in France, in Paris, they've had demonstrations in the streets against gay marriage.
Sackur: But what's your personal view? Would you like, all things being equal, to get rid of 377A?
Lee: My personal view is that if I don't have a problem, this is an uneasy compromise, I'm prepared to live with it until social attitudes change.
===============================
Lee: We are completely open. We have one of the fastest Internet accesses in the world. We have no Great Wall of the Internet. You can get any site in the world you wish. So where is the restriction?
Sackur: So if the government of Britain were to make linkages between a trade deal and seeking guarantees about human rights, press freedoms, workers' rights, demonstrators' rights in this country, your reaction would be?
Lee: I would wait to react until I see it. You look at the Americans. They don't lack fervour and moral causes. They promote democracy, freedom of speech, women's rights, gay rights, sometimes even transgender rights. But you don't see them applying that universally across the world, with all their allies? Yes, they do it where the cost is low. You can take a high position. But you look at some of the most important oil producers in the world. Do they conform? Have they been pressured? You have to do business. The world is a diverse place. Nobody has a monopoly of virtue or wisdom. And unless we can accept that, and we prosper together, and cooperate together, accepting our differences - differences in values, differences in outlooks, differences even in what we see the goals of life to be - I think it becomes difficult.

Edited by groyn88

Guest Beeeeech plssssss

Nobody has a monopoy of virtues and wisdom. Behhhh! Wrong! Christians in your country have. Accepting of differences.... yah right! Tell that to christians in your country, you backpeddling, conniving, hypocritical coward! Pui!

"Lee: I think that it's a law which is there. If I remove it, I will not remove the problem. Because if you look at what has happened in the West, I mean in Britain, you decriminalised it in the 1960s, your attitudes have changed a long way but even now, gay marriage is contentious. In America, it's very contentious. Even in France, in Paris, they've had demonstrations in the streets against gay marriage."

The problem is indeed the attitudes, isn't it?? So basically, if he had removed the law, the attitude WILL changed. And furthermore, gay marriages are indeed contentious because the law was indeed only changed a few years ago.

Well.... 70% voted him in.

Guest Chucky

I knew many many gays voted for PAP! Those gay MOE teachers, working for NIE, Ministry of Law (I knew many gays working in civil service).
Those supported for GLBT Pink Dot also supported PAP!

Do not have to believe me.
Ask them and you will know! 

46 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Did you vote him in? If so, don't complain. You got what you voted for.

Guest Gay pawned
1 hour ago, Guest Chucky said:

I knew many many gays voted for PAP! Those gay MOE teachers, working for NIE, Ministry of Law (I knew many gays working in civil service).
Those supported for GLBT Pink Dot also supported PAP!

Do not have to believe me.
Ask them and you will know! 

I know what they are thinking. Every man for himself. Fuck the gay community. These are the backstabbing kind whom i don't trust. i have personally experienced such people. They dislike and distrust others who are unlike them. They voted for pap not for fun. It is cos they dun trust the transparency of the system. They think they will he marked and their career prospects ruined if they voted for opposition parties. They think someone is tracking all the votes of civil servants. Of cos they will readily admit to it cos they think answering otherwise will jeopardize their rice bowls if big bro got wind of it. They are afraid of being backstabbed, reported, gossiped and betrayed. Sounds stupid? But most civil servants are like that. And this kind of old school thinking is what holds back singapore from ever becoming truly a first world country. Nobody is saying completely kick out the PAP. Old peasants will still vote for them. But their toxic habit of listening only to the christian voices needs to be purged. Christian voices are overrepresented in parliament. The parliament needs to become less of an echo chamber, with people who represent gay voices also being heard and considered as well.

Guest Napoleon
1 hour ago, Guest Gay pawned said:

I know what they are thinking. Every man for himself. Fuck the gay community. These are the backstabbing kind whom i don't trust. i have personally experienced such people. They dislike and distrust others who are unlike them. They voted for pap not for fun. It is cos they dun trust the transparency of the system. They think they will he marked and their career prospects ruined if they voted for opposition parties. They think someone is tracking all the votes of civil servants. Of cos they will readily admit to it cos they think answering otherwise will jeopardize their rice bowls if big bro got wind of it. They are afraid of being backstabbed, reported, gossiped and betrayed. Sounds stupid? But most civil servants are like that. And this kind of old school thinking is what holds back singapore from ever becoming truly a first world country. Nobody is saying completely kick out the PAP. Old peasants will still vote for them. But their toxic habit of listening only to the christian voices needs to be purged. Christian voices are overrepresented in parliament. The parliament needs to become less of an echo chamber, with people who represent gay voices also being heard and considered as well.

I am glad you know! Especially green fonts! Good!

70% largely consisting of those 老不死的。But, many people refuse to believe. 

At first, I am in doubt. After I spoke to many old folks (in Chinese Clans, Associations, Assisted Living Homes) all these 老不死的 supported the PAP! 

Talk to those "lao-aunties lao-uncles", don't be surprised what you hear! 

Frankly, it is not just the Christian groups that take a negative stance towards gays. Many people in the heartlands also have negative views on gays, partly because the media is never allowed to portray gays in a positive light, and they probably do not know many gays in real life with exemplary lives. So, I do believe that Singapore may not be ready to face up to this issue of gay rights. As to whether the government is doing enough to liberalise the system, I also think that there is still a lot that can be done. If you do not discuss and debate, it will stay in the realm of superstition and old wives tales. I think that the government needs to do more about all these things, rather than trying to "wayang" about controlling costs - it is the biggest source of wastage in the country.

Слава Україні!

Guest Pussy Lee

Can Lee Wei Ling or Lee Hsien Yang please take over from this IDIOT? I have had enough of his CRAP, BULLSHIT and NONSENSE!

Your country needs you! Please????

Guest 李小龙

I think LKY still needs to spoon feed him on what to think and say. He is such a hot mess! He is dead? Revive him from the grave!!!! Seriously!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

Not all are 老不死. I met a lot before who are probably younger than you.

All, however, hug on to ridiculous doomsday notions. No PAP, share mkt collapse overnight. Malaysia invade. China mkt disappear, etc etc.

An example. That time that char-bo minister from Aljunied lost in 2011, quite a number of people lamented how the entire country will suffer. But then hoh, none could remotely tell me what on earth she does in office.

Ignorance is what's keeping PAP in power.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Napoleon said:

I am glad you know! Especially green fonts! Good!

70% largely consisting of those 老不死的。But, many people refuse to believe. 

At first, I am in doubt. After I spoke to many old folks (in Chinese Clans, Associations, Assisted Living Homes) all these 老不死的 supported the PAP! 

Talk to those "lao-aunties lao-uncles", don't be surprised what you hear! 

Did you just call gstc82 a lao auntie? Of course he refuse to believe la! We have been calling him a lackey forever, now you call him lao auntie?? How can like that? 

Guest Lily Lee
33 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Not all are 老不死. I met a lot before who are probably younger than you.

All, however, hug on to ridiculous doomsday notions. No PAP, share mkt collapse overnight. Malaysia invade. China mkt disappear, etc etc.

An example. That time that char-bo minister from Aljunied lost in 2011, quite a number of people lamented how the entire country will suffer. But then hoh, none could remotely tell me what on earth she does in office.

Ignorance is what's keeping PAP in power.

AND fear. The same bugs we were trying to squash at LHL dot every year.

Singaporeans are displaying some classic symptoms of PTSD from the LKY brand of iron ass fisting. Some seem to enjoy it VERY much. They are now voluntarily giving away their cheap asses to the LKY-superlightweight talking dickhead whom we so not want to see (or hear) talking. SM huh? 50 shades of gay grey? Singaporeans are taking it up as a national sport!

Not surprised, those elderly have grown up with the PAP brand and everything is about branding in this country, now these elderly have been upgraded to the status of PG, not pioneer generation but pioneer god that everyone should worship....by the way I don't think he really answer that question, keep talking about the good things we had.

Guest Lee Lao Boo
2 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Not surprised, those elderly have grown up with the PAP brand and everything is about branding in this country, now these elderly have been upgraded to the status of PG, not pioneer generation but pioneer god that everyone should worship....by the way I don't think he really answer that question, keep talking about the good things we had.

It was edited. Probably some gibberish no one can make a thing out of or 顾左右而言他 senile ranting that cannot be broadcasted. Diversion tactic is painful to look at. 声东击西 epic failure.

Guest Guest

This is sensitive issue didn't HWZ forum mentioned something about his father suddenly allowing homosexual in civil service because of something that happened?

Guest A joker

Sackur: ...if any of your children or grandchildren were gay, would that change your perspective? Would you then think it were unacceptable for consenting adults to be criminalised this way?
Lee: I think that it's a law which is there. If I remove it, I will not remove the problem.

Lee: My personal view is that if I don't have a problem, this is an uneasy compromise, I'm prepared to live with it until social attitudes change.

Sackur: So if the government of Britain were to make linkages between a trade deal and seeking guarantees about human rights, press freedoms, workers' rights, demonstrators' rights in this country, your reaction would be?
Lee:  I would wait to react until I see it.

The above obviously show the kind of cop-out, no initiative, no ownership, non-leadership, unbold, reactive person we called a "leader".   As a leader, you need to have foresight,  swift, decisive,  with guts, firm, lead instead of being led.  I completely has no idea what he meant by removing the law will not remove the problem.  What problem and whose problem was he referring? Was there a problem in the first place and by keeping the law, is the "problem" solved"?   You guess what, everytime I see his face I cringed, everything he opened his mouth to talk, my stomach crambed with extreme discomfort. 

Guest Guest

We can argue till the cows come home. But when it came to voting time, how many of you voted against PAP? Let face it. When it came to the election, you will definitely hear of excuses such as homophobia in the opposition camp, sexuality as a non-issue and such excuses, even here. 

Just remember this: 

70% of you put him there to make those comments. Period. 

Guest A joker
5 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

We can argue till the cows come home. But when it came to voting time, how many of you voted against PAP? Let face it. When it came to the election, you will definitely hear of excuses such as homophobia in the opposition camp, sexuality as a non-issue and such excuses, even here. 

Just remember this: 

70% of you put him there to make those comments. Period. 

At least I didn't, I am not a fan of PAP and never will be, from religion, humanity and civilisation point of view.

Guest Devil

Let me get this straight. Ahem. Ok I am gay too.

What is most worrying to me, many of my gay friends, relatives, straight friends are, all of us who are over 40, is most worried about how to retire, whether we will be fired from our job, where can we find out next gig to earn a good living.

To be honest, 377A is really very far back of my (and close gay friends') minds. 

Yes, I detest this government. Keeping 377A? Maybe. But what I detest most is the elites of this country (Gay or not) are so out of touch with people on the ground. Their agenda is to keep flooding the market with so call "foreign talents", to continue their wealth-enhancing activities by inflating the assets (rental, property prices, etc). That peasants like us are dispensable (can be replaced by FTs). 

Yes, that includes the Gay Elites. Trust me, I know these people. 

Guest Guest
33 minutes ago, Guest Devil said:

Let me get this straight. Ahem. Ok I am gay too.

What is most worrying to me, many of my gay friends, relatives, straight friends are, all of us who are over 40, is most worried about how to retire, whether we will be fired from our job, where can we find out next gig to earn a good living.

To be honest, 377A is really very far back of my (and close gay friends') minds. 

Yes, I detest this government. Keeping 377A? Maybe. But what I detest most is the elites of this country (Gay or not) are so out of touch with people on the ground. Their agenda is to keep flooding the market with so call "foreign talents", to continue their wealth-enhancing activities by inflating the assets (rental, property prices, etc). That peasants like us are dispensable (can be replaced by FTs). 

Yes, that includes the Gay Elites. Trust me, I know these people. 

You voted for PAP? You got what you voted for.

Guest Devil
15 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

You voted for PAP? You got what you voted for.

I never want to vote for them. But I got to vote ONCE. Because most of the time it was a walkover.

To be straight with you, I am trying my best to bail out from this country. It is no longer liveable. 

If you look into the eyes of the local people, rich or poor, I do not see the soul of happiness or humanity anymore.

The corporate culture here (including MNCs), the gays, the locals, the rich and the poor have turned into survival of the fittest. 

You die your own business. 

You see the amount of suicides, scams, and other craziness in the news? Well I live in an old housing estate, with an extremely aged population. Off and on I heard about suicides. I see old people waiting around garbage dump to collect metal and cupboards.

Its all very depressing. 

377A? LOL. Well, no longer my business. 

Guest 小 LOONG 女

Gays not caring about 377a? If take away you won't rejoice? That's strange. Maybe it's like caged birds that refuse to fly away when the cage door is open, as they have lost the taste for freedom and ability to fly. *sobs*

Guest LEE 莫愁
8 hours ago, Guest Lily Lee said:

AND fear. The same bugs we were trying to squash at LHL dot every year.

Singaporeans are displaying some classic symptoms of PTSD from the LKY brand of iron ass fisting. Some seem to enjoy it VERY much. They are now voluntarily giving away their cheap asses to the LKY-superlightweight talking dickhead whom we so not want to see (or hear) talking. SM huh? 50 shades of gay grey? Singaporeans are taking it up their asses as a national sport!

Guest Devil
6 minutes ago, Guest 小 LOONG 女 said:

Gays not caring about 377a? If take away you won't rejoice? That's strange. Maybe it's like caged birds that refuse to fly away when the cage door is open, as they have lost the taste for freedom and ability to fly. *sobs*

You must be the very free kind. Maybe you have sugar mummy, or sugar mummy. Silver spoon in your mouth.

Let me know tell alot of my friends in the private sector are constantly worried about their livelihood. Let me ask you why even the straight people are not breeding and having babies.

This country called Singapore has more deeper issues than 377A. The growing wealth gap, the unhappy overworked people (who are told they are not good enough), the old hoping they died quickly.

Do you go and think why Donald Trump won the elections? Why are there so many conflicts in Middle East? Why so much extremism in the world now?

Its the economy, stupid.

And today's news said that JP Morgan developed an AI system which replaced legal clerks to draft contracts. What do you think will happen in another 5 years time with AI replace many employees? With the rich's assets keep inflating (due to QEs, negative interest rates, tax evasion schemes), and the poor getting insulted they are not good enough, they did not upgrade themselves, they should get out of the way for the rich.

Yes, morally 337A is not right (to me). But it is the least of my (and many) concerns right now.

Guest Pinky's Minion
2 hours ago, Guest Devil said:

I never want to vote for them. But I got to vote ONCE. Because most of the time it was a walkover.

To be straight with you, I am trying my best to bail out from this country. It is no longer liveable. 

If you look into the eyes of the local people, rich or poor, I do not see the soul of happiness or humanity anymore.

The corporate culture here (including MNCs), the gays, the locals, the rich and the poor have turned into survival of the fittest. 

You die your own business. 

You see the amount of suicides, scams, and other craziness in the news? Well I live in an old housing estate, with an extremely aged population. Off and on I heard about suicides. I see old people waiting around garbage dump to collect metal and cupboards.

Its all very depressing. 

377A? LOL. Well, no longer my business. 

You claimd to "never want to vote for them" sounds elusive. You probably voted for them that ONE time and wouldn't admit it here. YOU MADE EVEYTHING SOUND SO BLEAK, LIKE AS IF REPPEALING 377A WILL MAKE THE UNPLEASANT SITUATION YOU DESCRIBED WORSE. Lsl must be glad for kindred supporters like you. You couldn't care less about 377a as you claimed you are bailing out, but people who aren't quitters care, and we couldn't care less what you think about singapore gay equality since you said YOU ARE LEAVING.

Guest Devil
13 minutes ago, Guest Pinky's Minion said:

You claimd to "never want to vote for them" sounds elusive. You probably voted for them that ONE time and wouldn't admit it here. YOU MADE EVEYTHING SOUND SO BLEAK, LIKE AS IF REPPEALING 377A WILL MAKE THE UNPLEASANT SITUATION YOU DESCRIBED WORSE. Lsl must be glad for kindred supporters like you. You couldn't care less about 377a as you claimed you are bailing out, but people who aren't quitters care, and we couldn't care less what you think about singapore gay equality since you said YOU ARE LEAVING.

Fuck off ok. Gays like you are the kind who go prance around in skimpy clothing during pink dot or whatever shit. But when it's comes to voting, LOL. Yes find all shit excuses to vote PAP. Push for gay marriage but dunno what fucking commitment is really about. 

In US they called people like you Libtards. The fakey, out politically correct, pretend to be liberal, but actually  two faced bitches.

Guest Vagina farts
5 minutes ago, Guest Devil said:

Fuck off ok. Gays like you are the kind who go prance around in skimpy clothing during pink dot or whatever shit. But when it's comes to voting, LOL. Yes find all shit excuses to vote PAP. Push for gay marriage but dunno what fucking commitment is really about. 

In US they called people like you Libtards. The fakey, out politically correct, pretend to be liberal, but actually  two faced bitches.

Was that someone Varting? Oh it's you. Asswipes like you will float where ever the wind blows, and where ever you land, the piece of shit-stained tissue (you) will contaminate and stink up the whole place. You will need to be CLEANLY disposed of down the sanitory pipes to get rid of that stink. SO FLOAT THE FUCK OUT OF HERE, you airhead. You worthless, soiled sanitory napkin.

This is a higher resolution, more complete version of the BBC interview with Lee Hsien Loong on the issue of homosexuality and 377A.

Transcript:
Sackur: Well, let's talk symbols then. About the identity of Singapore today and what you want it to look like in the years to come. There's been a lot of discussion, shall I say, inside the city-state, about your repressive law on homosexuality. It is still technically illegal thanks to statute, I think, number 377A for two consenting male adults to have sex. It is a criminal offence. Now I know that the Singapore judicial authorities choose not to prosecute men for doing it, but why not, as a symbol of change in this country, get that off the statute book?
Lee: It's a matter of society values. We inherited this from British Victorian attitudes.
Sackur: And I'm sure you do not want Singapore today to reflect British Victorian attitudes.
Lee: We are not British, we are not Victorian, but this is a society which is not that liberal on these matters. Attitudes have changed but I believe if you had a referendum on the issue today, 377A would stand. The majority of Singaporeans believe...
Sackur: You've been in power for, what, more than twelve years yourself. Is it not your role as a leader to signal to your people that Singapore can and must adapt to changing social mores.
Lee: On social moral issues, I think the government's role is not to lead. It is, people believe this, they believe, some of them believe this fervently, it's a vex issue in every society. I think we just let it...
Sackur: Let me ask you a personal question. I mean, I don't wish to sound rude in any way but...
Lee: You never are.
Lee: I think that it's a law which is there. If I remove it, I will not remove the problem. Because if you look at what has happened in the West, I mean in Britain, you decriminalised it in the 1960s, your attitudes have changed a long way but even now, gay marriage is contentious. In America, it's very contentious. Even in France, in Paris, they've had demonstrations in the streets against gay marriage.
Sackur: But what's your personal view? Would you like, all things being equal, to get rid of 377A?
===============================
Lee: We are completely open. We have one of the fastest Internet accesses in the world. We have no Great Wall of the Internet. You can get any site in the world you wish. So where is the restriction?
Lee: I would wait to react until I see it. You look at the Americans. They don't lack fervour and moral causes. They promote democracy, freedom of speech, women's rights, gay rights, sometimes even transgender rights. But you don't see them applying that universally across the world, with all their allies? Yes, they do it where the cost is low. You can take a high position. But you look at some of the most important oil producers in the world. Do they conform? Have they been pressured? You have to do business. The world is a diverse place. Nobody has a monopoly of virtue or wisdom. And unless we can accept that, and we prosper together, and cooperate together, accepting our differences - differences in values, differences in outlooks, differences even in what we see the goals of life to be - I think it becomes difficult.
Links:
http://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lee_Hsien_Loong's_views_on_homosexuality
http://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.wikia.com/wiki/Section_377A_of_the_Singapore_Penal_Code

Edited by groyn88

Guest merleowe

I think everyone commenting here , should give respect to PM LEE Hsien Loong, becuase he is after all the Prime MInister of Singapore, which is a very well governed city state, I respect him for the good work the governemnt have done to make Singapore a succesfull country.

Don't on account of this 377A issue , every other good things that the govt has done , you all totally disregard.

Who is this Sackur guy, all he does is ask questions. he doesn't run Singapore, he is not accountable to the electorate of Singapore.

From the past record, the brits did not do a fantastic job of running colonial Singapore, their royalties lie elsewhere back in England,

So you think having 377a abolished is good, it will take time, this is what PM LEE is saying,

it takes time to make attitudes change, meanwhile gays wll have to do all  the hard work of showing themselves to be examplary citizens, it will take many hard years of hard work, it will not happen over night.

gays need to be more present in Community doing good works, helping the society and commnunity, this is the only way,

if gays live selfish lives like that Fridae .com, CEo , like taking sex pics in public and posting them on the internet, it will accumulate bad karma, and people will forever associate gays with libertine, sex crazed and selfish and worst drug crazed sleazy drug addicts like that Stuart guy.

It is good to do community work , if you want to change social attitudes, show yourself to be responsible citizens and earn the respect .

Otherwise , gays every where are known to be hedonistic, drug crazed, bug chasing, sex sluts.

this is what gays want to be associated with, believe or not up to you.

Please respect PM LEE, as he is really a good leader.

IF we have British style govt and social order in Singapore, Singapore will become chaotic, really.

Do you know, ang moh loves Singapore, to raise their children because there is no easily available drugs, and low teenage pregancies here, in Britain , teen Pregnancies are out of control and tax payers have to support all these irresponsible teens who get pregnant and then depend on welfare to feed them and their babies and these female teens make it a career to become pregnant and not married to all the different fathers of their many babies so that they can keep receiving state welfare.

Its a nation of irresponsible teens and a vicious cycle of babies from these families growing up to be teen mothers themselves.

39 minutes ago, Guest merleowe said:

Who is this Sackur guy, all he does is ask questions. he doesn't run Singapore, he is not accountable to the electorate of Singapore.

You obviously have never watched the BBC series Hard Talk.

Слава Україні!

Guest Double-headed snake

PAP is well known for not pandering to populist demand and thus hurting Singaporeans from all walks of life for their flawed policies.. However, when it comes to repealing S377A, you see their double-standard being displayed, for tell us that LGBT is still not puplarly accepted by the society.

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest merleowe said:

I think everyone commenting here , should give respect to PM LEE Hsien Loong, becuase he is after all the Prime MInister of Singapore, which is a very well governed city state, I respect him for the good work the governemnt have done to make Singapore a succesfull country.

Don't on account of this 377A issue , every other good things that the govt has done , you all totally disregard.

From the past record, the brits did not do a fantastic job of running colonial Singapore, their royalties lie elsewhere back in England,

So you think having 377a abolished is good, it will take time, this is what PM LEE is saying,

it takes time to make attitudes change, meanwhile gays wll have to do all  the hard work of showing themselves to be examplary citizens, it will take many hard years of hard work, it will not happen over night.

gays need to be more present in Community doing good works, helping the society and commnunity, this is the only way,

if gays live selfish lives like that Fridae .com, CEo , like taking sex pics in public and posting them on the internet, it will accumulate bad karma, and people will forever associate gays with libertine, sex crazed and selfish and worst drug crazed sleazy drug addicts like that Stuart guy.

It is good to do community work , if you want to change social attitudes, show yourself to be responsible citizens and earn the respect .

Otherwise , gays every where are known to be hedonistic, drug crazed, bug chasing, sex sluts.

this is what gays want to be associated with, believe or not up to you.

Please respect PM LEE, as he is really a good leader.

IF we have British style govt and social order in Singapore, Singapore will become chaotic, really.

Do you know, ang moh loves Singapore, to raise their children because there is no easily available drugs, and low teenage pregancies here, in Britain , teen Pregnancies are out of control and tax payers have to support all these irresponsible teens who get pregnant and then depend on welfare to feed them and their babies and these female teens make it a career to become pregnant and not married to all the different fathers of their many babies so that they can keep receiving state welfare.

Its a nation of irresponsible teens and a vicious cycle of babies from these families growing up to be teen mothers themselves.

Hi Thio.

Guest Pinkily

"If i do not have a problem"... means he has a problem.

"Difficult compromise"... means his mind is difficult to change.

Next question the host should have asked:

"Do you have any gay friends, not acquaintances, but friends?"

HARDtalk is too soft on that softie.

Guest Family or famiLEE

If his children or grandchildren is gay, he still cannot accept it means the Singaporean culture and mindset is not actually that pro-family. Unless, gays and lesbians are considered as non-humans, therefore not part of the family.

Guest Dick it, tattered sheeples

In other words, he is a super bad example and setting extremely low standards for a leader by personally discriminating against gay people in his leadership capacity, no different from Vadimir Putin, whom he is a good friend of and north korea, who has a RARE and healthy diplomatic export relationship with singapore.

He is good friends with all the dictatorship states whom developed countries are quick to isolate, shun and distance from, if anyone hasn't realised.

Guest Wolf in sheeps' clothing
3 minutes ago, Guest Dick it, tattered sheeples said:

In other words, he is a super bad example and setting extremely low standards for a leader by personally discriminating against gay people in his leadership capacity, no different from Vadimir Putin, whom he is a good friend of and north korea, who has a RARE and healthy diplomatic export relationship with singapore.

He is good friends with all the dictatorship states whom developed countries are quick to isolate, shun and distance from, if anyone hasn't realised.

In other words, he is indirectly funding their economy, and indirectly promoting hatred towards gay people in those countries too, when all other developed nations are isolating them by not signing trade deals with them for their human rights abuses.

Basically, LHL was trying to absolve responsibility for 377A by saying that Singaporeans are inherently homophobic. He then makes it seem that it is not his role (or the government's) to impose ideas and laws on to his people. This is the easy way out, and contradicts a lot of what the government has done, for example, the building of the casinos.

Sackur must have been under orders to let him off early, since I have watched Sackur really grill some other heads of state. Besides, the BBC has a studio in Singapore, and use it as their base for the region. I doubt Sackur would be allowed to jeopardise this, considering how defensive the Singapore government is.

Слава Україні!

LGBT votes do not solely based on whether 377A is repealed or not.  Otherwise,  the opposition parties would have brought up 377A to support the LGBT cause.  There are many other policies that voters considered.  Even if 377A is repealed,  I don't think the LGBT community will all voted for the ruling party. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

• Guest locked this topic