Male HQ

Singapore is going to be the New York of Asia?

Guest GUEST

Guest GUEST

SG WANTS TO BE NY OF ASIA. SURE OR NOT?

Submitted by farhan on Wed, 01/03/2017 - 11:10am

Kishore_Mahbubani_SG_NY_1.jpg?itok=n_7KY

Dear A.S.S. Editor

Singapore top diplomat went on to say in a forum in the US that Singapore is going to be the New York of Asia?

Top diplomat go and say such things, are we Singaporeans doomed?

The top diplomat, Kishore Mahbubani, was speaking at a seminar at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, and said Singapore is poised to be the best city in Asia, because not only does it have the best civil servants, best airport, best military, best educational system, it is also comfortable with Chinese civilization, Indian civilization, Islamic civilization, and Western civilization. It will become the NY of Asia.

Seriously? What does New York represents?

A melting pot of many different cultures?

Or more like a city that has more people than it can house comfortably, where crime rates are high, racial slurs are not uncommon, property prices are the highest in the country, public transportation has reached a breaking point and the police are helpless in solving crimes.

So, Singapore is going to be the New York of Asia.

We already there?

Brandon Gan

A.S.S. Contributor

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/sg-wants-be-ny-asia-sure-or-not
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

Guest Guest

Yes...in fact, don't you know we have already surpassed NY by quite a lot? I mean our cost of living and our politicians' salary. :D

Guest Carrie BRAG SHAW

I don't know what's so special about singapore that other asian cities don't have. I know, asian bragging. Can we tone down a bit? 

1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

wait.....we need to find a donald trump to make singapore great again

63c0ce5a626c1aba2b7dc57c2f570a20_free-fu

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

Guest Apu neh neh
2 hours ago, Guest Carrie BRAG SHAW said:

I don't know what's so special about singapore that other asian cities don't have. I know, asian bragging. Can we tone down a bit? 

I don't know what is so special about this Kishore Mahbubani  that he is always allowed by our msm to talk-cock-sing-song.  He came across as someone quite cocky and arrogant and self-professed to know everything under the sun.  I think, aging has became quite an issue to him of late, that he needs to be seen regularly on stage to show that he is still alive.  A time waster really.

Guest Guest
5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Yes...in fact, don't you know we have already surpassed NY by quite a lot? I mean our cost of living and our politicians' salary. :D

You have never been to NYC. 

Guest Oh Really

Want to be NYC?  Please spare us the nightmare of not having chewing gum and go-go dance,  Our street was light ghost town pass 10pm.

This person is a bit delusional. New York is not perfect but Singapore will never be like it! The attitude is very different. The education system really lack the creativity part. New Yorkers are also New Yorkers before being a race. Here the concept of race is too present. This Indian has done this, the malay has said that... Everybody is reduced to a race. 

On the other side, Singapore is quiet, safe, organised. If I had to compare, Singapore is more like a Texas or Florida city than New York. 2 cities in Asia could come close to NYC; Hong Kong and Tokyo.

isnt sg already switzerland of the east?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Lame lah

Definitely much better than New York. We dont have mad and insane people running around shooting and killing gays with guns. We already bypassed New York lol.

• G_M changed the title to Singapore is going to be the New York of Asia?
Guest Tomato
3 hours ago, auscent said:

We can try but we will never capture the spirit, edgyness of New York City.

2 very distinct things why Spore cannot be NYC, a global city.

a) Food/cuisine - as much as the varieties of cuisine have improved over the years, it is very difficult to have fresh produce (since we are not agricultural and everything is imported, hence not fresh).  No matter how good the skills the chefs here have, the outcome of foods in Spore taste mediocre. 

b) The people here in Singapore dresses poorly.  Poor fashion sense.  Enough said.

I am not even going to the intangible qualities which NYkers have.

Guest Guest
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You have never been to NYC. 

Yes, I have.

http://www.atlasandboots.com/most-expensive-cities-for-expats-ranked/

2016 2015 City Country
1 2 Hong Kong Hong Kong, China
2 1 Luanda Angola
3 3 Zurich Switzerland
4 4 Singapore Singapore
5 11 Tokyo Japan
6 13 Kinshasa Dem. Rep. of the Congo