Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

Well it is less than a fortnight to go and I am all excited.

I have been there since its inauguration - sometimes meeting some old pals from BW (i.e. Larry and gang)...It is a sort of family reunion and celebration.

This year with the heightened security checks, I may have to be there earlier than usual.  Since I would like to browse the stands and stalls, I plan to get my butt out of the door by 2 pm and should be at Clarke Quay by 2.30 pm latest.  It is that kiasu-ism that I do not like to wait in long queues and thus, miss out the good spots nearer to the stage.  

My Wishlist - No violence.. and the ambassadors' speech be put at the front of the evening instead at the back.  Thousands of people standing around not hearing the speech is a PURE WASTE of time.  Plus,  it was always HOT and HUMID at about 7.15 pm to 7.30 pm.  Stop punishing me (old people cannot stand so long) again.

On 18/06/2017 at 1:52 PM, abang said:

I plan to get my butt out of the door by 2 pm and should be at Clarke Quay by 2.30 pm latest.  It is that kiasu-ism that I do not like to wait in long queues and thus, miss out the good spots nearer to the stage.  

It is good to be earlier and have plenty of time to "browse" around.  I hope you find what you were looking for and pinkdot is an interesting event to fulfil one wish you never know will happen.

On 6/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, Guest hehe said:

It is good to be earlier and have plenty of time to "browse" around.  I hope you find what you were looking for and pinkdot is an interesting event to fulfil one wish you never know will happen.

You make it sound people are there for a hookup over their actual support for LGBTQ rights. Sheesh. There's grindr for that. 

Sex at public toilets openly discussed in BlowingWind highlighted in another Pink Dot debate

http://mothership.sg/2017/06/anti-pink-dot-group-claims-abolishing-section-377a-will-lead-to-legalised-same-sex-marriages/

Edited by iamziz

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

On 15 June 2017, ILGA representative Zhan Chiam delivered its statement made in consultation with the ASEAN SOGIE Caucus, ILGA ASIA, Oogachaga and SEED Malaysia during the Item 4- General Debate at the 35th UN Human Rights Council. The full statement may be downloaded here:
http://ilga.org/downloads/HRC35_Item4_General_Debate.pdf
Excerpt:
"In  Singapore,  recent  changes  to  the  Public  Order  Act  rules  on  general  assembly  now  only  allows  Singaporean Citizens and Permanent Residents to assemble at Speakers’ Corner, directly impacting on Pink Dot 2017, the annual gathering for LGBT persons in Singapore.8 This further shrinks already scarce public gathering space in Singapore and increases criminalization of peaceful assembly.   
Mr. President,  
This year has seen a significant increase in anti-LGBTIQ incidents across ASEAN countries, including attacks on and
detention  of,  LGBTIQ  defenders.  The  ASEAN  human  rights  mechanism  has  failed  to  take  concrete  actions  to
address this wave of violence.  We would like to remind these states and this Council that we are born free and equal
in dignity and in rights and that violence and discrimination should not be allowed on any grounds.  
I thank you Mr. President."

On 6/24/2017 at 8:34 PM, Vometra said:

As Pink Dot 2017 is just around the corner (YAY!), some important info:

19366422_10155564602213304_3318163023572

19366058_10155564602223304_7346224191902

19430178_10155564602333304_2355375197352

19396687_10155564602368304_7968429848356

So this year pink dot they go back to light up at night? Unlike last year no light up and pink dot ended early?!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

On 6/21/2017 at 7:00 PM, Guest Guest said:

I guess no point going for pink dot anymore when there is discrimination between ourself.  Had been going since for the past 6 years.  

Going for pink dot is to support the freedom of love and to support those currently being abused of not getting this freedom. If you dont support the freedom to love, you are practically supporting discrimination.

Guest 女发阿关
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Guest Guest said:

I guess no point going for pink dot anymore when there is discrimination between ourself.  Had been going since for the past 6 years.  

Is the goodness of the cause not bigger and more important than the hypocrisies of the people involved? Maybe not for you. In that case to each his own.

Considering from a logical point of view, I think I understand where the gov are coming from. Now before you get all riled up about it, I'm a true blue gay man just giving my 2 cents worth of this whole situation. So take a min or 2 to read up, see if I'm right.

Honestly, when you think about it, the current existential political situation surrounding just does not permits the gov to show any support or even allowance for these kind of events for fear of being ostracized. Heck even the big brothers, USA and Russia are not showing their favorable sides to our lifestyle. Also probably for the fear that it might get blown up of proportion like the pride parade and Mardi Gras. So you need to have some empathy for a young developing and conservative nation, based on family values and cultural and religious upbringing. So love it or hate it, you got to give props for them giving us this much so far. Remember its a war we're fighting, not a battle. We'll get there eventually, look at how far we've come.

But my concern here mainly are not about the gov lack of support or efforts to squash these events, but wholly to the fact that there are still many gays that has not shown an inkling of support for the event that would probably change the course of their gay life in Singapore itself one day, preferring instead to cower in the safety of their closet where no one can identify or jeopardize their careers and status in public. The excuse for their cowardice? These kind of events are just cliches and simply an excuse for people to hook-up, at least from the feedback's of the many that's not going. Be that as it may be, agenda or not, we are stronger in numbers, not in assumptions.

Sometimes we forget that a celebration of our kind of love is not just about wearing pink or carrying banners and signs showing how much you support the course, but it's from your action as well. If you want to support the course be more proactive, not just show up for an event that lasted a couple of hours a year and go back to your normal daily life when its all over and done with. The hours you spent celebrating the cause would just simply fade into pictures, videos, postings and memories. There are yet many others, just not as big as this event, that still requires your support.

So this year, I just hope that before you step out of your door to head out for a mementos event such as this, look beyond looking good in the mirror and to what significance you can contribute towards the cause the day after,next week or even next month, cause the event does not just end up when the clock strike 12. You'll certainly won't get a mother-fucking fairy tale ending here, its going to last your whole life.

It's your fight for equality to live the life you were meant to live and love the person your heart desires. and if you truly want it, show them, show the world you truly deserve it. Cause once the music stops and the party ends, that's where the true work begin.

So Work it Bitch!

Guest Hard knocks
7 hours ago, rastateofmind said:

Considering from a logical point of view, I think I understand where the gov are coming from. Now before you get all riled up about it, I'm a true blue gay man just giving my 2 cents worth of this whole situation. So take a min or 2 to read up, see if I'm right.

Honestly, when you think about it, the current existential political situation surrounding just does not permits the gov to show any support or even allowance for these kind of events for fear of being ostracized. Heck even the big brothers, USA and Russia are not showing their favorable sides to our lifestyle. Also probably for the fear that it might get blown up of proportion like the pride parade and Mardi Gras. So you need to have some empathy for a young developing and conservative nation, based on family values and cultural and religious upbringing. So love it or hate it, you got to give props for them giving us this much so far. Remember its a war we're fighting, not a battle. We'll get there eventually, look at how far we've come.

I disagree with you there.

I come from a tough neighbourhood where bullies look for the weak to bully. Those of us who dare to stand against them may get bumped but the bullies know that they better leave us alone.

Then there are those who hope that being passive and quiet the bullies will not notice them and leave them alone. These are exactly the ones who the bullies are looking for. They get bullied yet they are still afraid to fight back. 

Then there are those who say we should help them. But we can only help them if they even try to help themselves. How can we speak out for them if they themselves run away? 

The terrorists don't appreciate that the gv are suppressing the gays. They see that the gv is cowardly and have no guts so it's good to attack this type of cowardly gv.

Singapore is not conservative. The press make it seems so for their agenda, might I suggest the Christian terrorists have majority shares to push their agenda. They parade those few conservative minorities like they are the majority. Same here in this forum where people think the there are plenty of obnoxious guests but actually it's a very small minority with too much time on their hands.

If you side them on this cowardly policy, then we all deserve the gv we get. So don't cry when you get bullied because you deserve it. Tell that to the refugees from Iraq, I don't pity them when millions of them don't know how to organise against the few terrorists and go crying to the Europeans for human rights refugee status. GROW UP AND GROW SOME BALLS. THE BLOODY WORLD DON'T OWE YOU A DAMN THING. 

7 minutes ago, TopChinese said:

You guys can discuss discuss all day and night. I am just there for all the hot guys of all age, sizes and colors that will be there. It will be a celebration!

That's the spirit ( ! )

img_1295_y5oCqh.jpg.5b665c90780c79ea8d4d942b76c3b4fb.jpg

7 hours ago, doncoin said:

So YouTube (Owned by Google) just posted this and look out for our very own Pink Dot at 1:40.

So those people are going to boycott YouTube just like they boycott Facebook, Google, Apple, Campbell, Cathay, their hairdressers? Oh wait ...

2 hours ago, Yaoi said:

Yeah right. One side got the sedition act and the maintenance of religious harmony act as a shield. The other side is criminalized by 377A and all positive portrayals in the media, in education and in all public institutions are censored or prohibited.

Maintain the status quo? How magnanimous.

20 hours ago, Guest Hard knocks said:

So don't cry when you get bullied because you deserve it.

Totally. Like, Ikea backed hate-spouting magician-pastor, so when people bad-mouth its deteriorating service and products now, no need to say anything, just let its business dive and go to hell. :yuk:

11 hours ago, Vometra said:

So those people are going to boycott YouTube just like they boycott Facebook, Google, Apple, Campbell, Cathay, their hairdressers? Oh wait ...

Let's hope so. :) They can also boycott Science and the Earth is round. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Guest Guest

Hope the event will go smoothly. Pls note there'll be bag and body checks. Bring ID n no sharp objects.

http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/security-personnel-pink-dot-tripled-new-law-take-effect

Kudos to the 120 local sponsors.

And boos to those who plan to boycott the sponsors.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/pink-dot-draws-120-local-sponsors

Kudos to theresa goh for coming out.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/it-feels-like-the-right-time

On 24/06/2017 at 5:01 PM, iamziz said:

Sex at public toilets openly discussed in BlowingWind highlighted in another Pink Dot debate

http://mothership.sg/2017/06/anti-pink-dot-group-claims-abolishing-section-377a-will-lead-to-legalised-same-sex-marriages/

Already, someone couldn't resist the urge and had to disgrace the community just two days before pink dot. Sigh. 

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/27-year-old-man-arrested-for-molesting-3-teenage-boys-in-clementi

img_1295_y5oCqh.jpg.5b665c90780c79ea8d4d942b76c3b4fb.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hemnes said:

Already, someone couldn't resist the urge and had to disgrace the community just two days before pink dot. Sigh. 

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/27-year-old-man-arrested-for-molesting-3-teenage-boys-in-clementi

Pedophilia and being gay are 2 different things. 

The reality is that there is a lack of understanding and education on sexuality in Singapore. I find that many Singaporeans adopt an ostrich mentality rather than be educated about it. Pedophilia is a heinous crime and as a community, regardless of gay or straight, or trans etc. we have an obligation to protect our young. 

Love. 

Guest Guest
15 hours ago, Creevie said:

i've only been to the first one in 2011. up to now still no interest to go. i know the gyms will be quite empty that day though ahhaha.

Why you no interest to go anymore? I been to few years but this year still don't know if i am going? See my mood tomorrow first.

14 minutes ago, SPDR said:

The weather forecast for 01 July is thunderstorm. Anyone knows what will happen then? 

Sorry I hijack the thread, just couldn't resist. Anyway, let's hope all who is there have a good fun and a great get together,. If you take away the Colour pink, it is just another open air concert and picnic in the park with love ones. Don't know why people cannot simplify things and like to make matters complicated these days. Humanity need relooking.

47 minutes ago, SPDR said:

The weather forecast for 01 July is thunderstorm. Anyone knows what will happen then? 

One more day to go!

So far the weather has been fantastic, albeit a bit warm, for all the past Pink Dots. I'm sure this one will be great too, fingers and toes crossed :P

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Why you no interest to go anymore? I been to few years but this year still don't know if i am going? See my mood tomorrow first.

Coz honestly though I'm gay, I don't like some kinds of gays. And I also don't have many close gay friends to go and enjoy with. Kinda pointless if I go by myself or just ad hoc with some other lonely gays from the internet, and pretending it's fun and satisfying right. Plus not handsome so it's not like I can go by myself and people will gravitate to me. And look at the so-called celebrity highlights there, I go meh~

I'll just head to the gym tmr and maintain an everyday mentality throughout la. This news will die down after around 48 hours after the formation of the pink dot tmr anyway, as is the case with all online news. All will be back to normal. 

To those who're going with close ones, you'll definitely have a more fulfilling time than those who go for the sake of wanting to belong! Enjoy max k! 

Some others should just be more practical and look at ur income and savings/retirement planning, and get some of your basic stuff together in your life rather than acting modern and going just to post on fakebook and instacrap.

cheers. 

Guest Guest

You are right, quite meaningless to go pink dot alone or even go with someone that you are not close to. Now i see why so many gays find no interest in such event.

Tomorrow's finally Pink Dot!

I still feel like the government/police is really stepping up this year with the added security to try to dissuade people from attending the event. Since now only Singaporeans and PRs can attend, I've also have a few Singaporean friends that don't want to attend this year because their friends or partners aren't allowed. A hurdle for this year's event, I really hope our community can see the importance for banding together even more.

On the side note, is anyone going alone or planning to go but have no one to go with? I'm meeting a few friends there, anyone who'd wanna tag along can totally do so! Give me a heads up, pass me your contact, you don't need to be alone (:

Edited by Eujiboo

Yes.. What a difference a day makes
Twenty-four little hours
Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain

I'm so looking forward to meeting all the people, the LGBTQI and our supporters.   These songs came to mind...both from my era...that is so 70s and 80s..

Pointer Sisters - I'm so excited and Weather Girls - It's raining men.. Hallelujah .. Cyndi Lauper - Girls just wanna have fun..

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You are right, quite meaningless to go pink dot alone or even go with someone that you are not close to. Now i see why so many gays find no interest in such event.

Pink Dot is not all about you. It is about a marginalized community of Singaporeans wanting to be recognised and respected as members of the community with the same rights, and privileges under the law. By coming together as one the LGBT community is making themselves visible and heard. 

Despite the distance Singapore still has to go when it comes to human rights, progress has been made compared to 10 years ago. Pink Dot and the recent success with local sponsors is a good example of how far we have come. 

If Pink Dot did not exist, will the LGBT community today still receive this amount of visibility? Or will it be something that we deny exists? 

Love. 

18 minutes ago, doncoin said:

Pink Dot is not all about you. It is about a marginalized community of Singaporeans wanting to be recognised and respected as members of the community with the same rights, and privileges under the law. By coming together as one the LGBT community is making themselves visible and heard. 

Despite the distance Singapore still has to go when it comes to human rights, progress has been made compared to 10 years ago. Pink Dot and the recent success with local sponsors is a good example of how far we have come. 

If Pink Dot did not exist, will the LGBT community today still receive this amount of visibility? Or will it be something that we deny exists? 

What happen to diversity and inclusiveness ?  People have different reasons for going or not going.  If people find it meaningless, so be it.  May be at this moment, they don't have any close one and they find it meaningless to fight for this cause, I can totally understand.  I just respect them and hopefully, they find somebody next year - good luck !

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, doncoin said:

By coming together as one LGBT community yet internal conflict and discrimination 

13 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

By coming together as one LGBT community yet internal conflict and discrimination 

That's pretty normal I think. Even when Singapore first gain independence,  there was internal conflict and discrimination. The reality is we are different, and have different goals and agendas. However, we also have common ones. When it make sense to cast aside our differences, we do do so to achieve a common goal. :) 

Love. 

On 18/05/2017 at 10:56 PM, Guest Dave said:

Hey guys, instead of discussing on who can attend this event, I would like to know if anyone might be interested coming together for a night of just 100% worship. Regardless of your age, your background, your church, your personality. There is no official or unoffical organization, church, company behind or related to this. No agenda or motive, just coming together to worship. A venue filled by you guys, a small band with a list of 10-15 of hillsong songs. I reckon on a Saturday night would be good. Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers!!!

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord," - Acts 3:19

Reminder guys if you don’t want to attend Pink Dot, there is other option.

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.