Male HQ

Office plants

I bought a snake plant a year ago and the shop owner tells me that it needs to be watered only once a week and provide fertilizer once a month (which I did).

But a few months ago I noticed that the leaves at the bottom layer of the plant is turning yellow and most of the other leaves are turning soft and wrinkly (attached photo).

I'm not sure if I'm not giving enough fertilizers (giving too much will kill it), or watering it enough, or if it got infected with some plant diseases.

Anyone knows what I should do to save it?

And are there any other hardy indoor/office plants to recommend?

Thanks!

IMG_6163.thumb.JPG.6e34024848012f6829fd8433dc9b7cc4.JPG

You can try the money plants from Ikea. 

They're very inexpensive (less than $10 per plant), and you just need to keep the glass container filled with water. They use the coloured pebbles to hold the plant stems and roots so there's no soil or fertiliser needed.

The coloured pebbles in the clear glass container makes it rather attractive as a decoration, and it's low-maintenance also.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by CKW

On 4/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, Hemnes said:

That's a case of overwatering

This is correct, this is a case of overwatering. I keep a huge snake plant in my bedroom and I only water once every 2 days with about 150mL of water. I fertilise it with Horti organic fertiliser the small pellet kind (about 6-10 pellets) every 4 months. Also note that the amount of light will affect the amount of water the plant uses. If you said that the plant is in the office I would not even water it so often or simply just water with a lesser amount, snake plants love to have their soil slightly dry between waterings. Also does your pot have holes? If there are no holes for your excess water to drain it will cause root rot to the plant... from my experience, if the soil is waterlogged, the snake plant will quickly turn yellow and wrinkly in 2 days time. Hope this helps!

Jonny, though certain plants are classified under the indoor category, technically, all plants, including the indoor ones, do need some sunlight,

at least about once a week, to keep them healthy.

I have some plants which are semi-shade, possible office dwellers, with potential for indirect light.

Would suggest air plants, as a possibility for office considerations.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, Sibelius said:

This is correct, this is a case of overwatering. I keep a huge snake plant in my bedroom and I only water once every 2 days with about 150mL of water. I fertilise it with Horti organic fertiliser the small pellet kind (about 6-10 pellets) every 4 months. Also note that the amount of light will affect the amount of water the plant uses. If you said that the plant is in the office I would not even water it so often or simply just water with a lesser amount, snake plants love to have their soil slightly dry between waterings. Also does your pot have holes? If there are no holes for your excess water to drain it will cause root rot to the plant... from my experience, if the soil is waterlogged, the snake plant will quickly turn yellow and wrinkly in 2 days time. Hope this helps!

Hey all, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Yup, my pot has holes at the bottom to let excess water out.

I've transferred my snake plant to the balcony where there is more sunlight and watered less frequently and with lesser amount each time.

Currently the old leaves still remain wrinkly but there's like a baby snake plant growing right beside the old bunch of wrinkly leaves.

Should I just transfer the baby snake plant to another pot?

On 4/18/2017 at 8:37 PM, Jonny_86 said:

Hey all, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Yup, my pot has holes at the bottom to let excess water out.

I've transferred my snake plant to the balcony where there is more sunlight and watered less frequently and with lesser amount each time.

Currently the old leaves still remain wrinkly but there's like a baby snake plant growing right beside the old bunch of wrinkly leaves.

Should I just transfer the baby snake plant to another pot?

I think there is no need to transfer the baby snake plant to another pot. just wait for the older leaves to dry up, if its turning into mush you can just cut them off first. Snake plants propagate via the "roots" (actually its some sort of underground stem), so if you really need to transfer you need to take care not to damage those parts.

2 hours ago, Sibelius said:

I think there is no need to transfer the baby snake plant to another pot. just wait for the older leaves to dry up, if its turning into mush you can just cut them off first. Snake plants propagate via the "roots" (actually its some sort of underground stem), so if you really need to transfer you need to take care not to damage those parts.

1 hour ago, tam20 said:

as mentioned by other bros, i would recommend airplants too ( tillandsia) , clean and small

Okay thanks! Will look for airplants too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing. This inspired me to order some plants to the office. By the way, I have a question for you. I have a small garden in my backyard where there are flowers and a few fruit trees. One day I noticed that something was wrong with my trees, and then I discovered that they were infected with something. I googled them and found out they were infected with aphids. Well, I'd like to save them, so I found a blog where there is information about how to get rid of root aphids, but if you have personal experience in this, then I'd like to hear real feedback. Thanks.

Edited by LessiePMcCord

• 7 months later...

Hi @renoma1069, if you're putting the terrarium indoor, it's best to expose the plants to open air say ... once fortnightly. These guys love bathing in moving air and natural sunlight. After which you can mist them before placing them back. So sealing the terrarium may not seem to be a good idea unless you just want a one time showpiece.

• 2 months later...

Coz it is good for those who have bad spirits in them...most bad spirits afraid if it coz it is sharp. Don't buy the fake ones...I bought it at IKEA real. Nice also. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, renoma1069 said:

Trying another closed terrarium with fittonia LOL

Anyone got tried-and-tested suggestions for closed terrarium? (I think moss is good choice?)

I have tried the closed terrarium with fittonia. Didn't quite work out. Not sure if I lack the know-how to maintain it. They are pretty to look but didn't survive.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dart said:

My young Hibiscus plant with its first bloom . The joy and excitement it brings 😊 There's another bud coming up.

Hibiscus is not an indoor plant. They need plenty of sunlight and moving air. I have placed mine outside in the balcony.

20210729_121401_copy_864x1152.jpg

radiant red. nice!

On 3/1/2021 at 11:28 PM, Dart said:

Hi @renoma1069, if you're putting the terrarium indoor, it's best to expose the plants to open air say ... once fortnightly. These guys love bathing in moving air and natural sunlight. After which you can mist them before placing them back. So sealing the terrarium may not seem to be a good idea unless you just want a one time showpiece.

Very interesting. I will make one when i find the right container. Wat do u use for ur terrarium? Can share pic?

3 hours ago, Dart said:

My young Hibiscus plant with its first bloom . The joy and excitement it brings 😊 There's another bud coming up.

Hibiscus is not an indoor plant. They need plenty of sunlight and moving air. I have placed mine outside in the balcony.

20210729_121401_copy_864x1152.jpg

Malaysia's national flower! Nice to have the right condition for flowering plants which I do not have. Yes, I can relate the excitement when your plant is in bloom. I recalled the same feeling when my Tillandsia flowered and the budding that followed. 

Be cool, like a breeze...

16 hours ago, blowmenow said:

Very interesting. I will make one when i find the right container. Wat do u use for ur terrarium? Can share pic?

Normally, terrarium is bought. I don't favour terrarium because it's not practical for the long term growth of the plants. It's more like a one time showpiece.

Edited by Dart

13 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Malaysia's national flower! Nice to have the right condition for flowering plants which I do not have. Yes, I can relate the excitement when your plant is in bloom. I recalled the same feeling when my Tillandsia flowered and the budding that followed. 

Yes, flowering plants require direct sunlight and free flow air. In a Condo/Aprt, the balcony is the best place. Tilandsia is air plant, right? No experience in keeping them. I heard they only require indirect sunlight and can be kept indoor? 

1 hour ago, Dart said:

Yes, flowering plants require direct sunlight and free flow air. In a Condo/Aprt, the balcony is the best place. Tilandsia is air plant, right? No experience in keeping them. I heard they only require indirect sunlight and can be kept indoor? 

Yes Tillandsia is an airplant that doesn’t require soil. However, it also generally prefers well-ventilated air although full sun is not required. They still need some filtered light though. As my place doesn’t get much direct sunlight, I hang them at my windows. 

3 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Yes Tillandsia is an airplant that doesn’t require soil. However, it also generally prefers well-ventilated air although full sun is not required. They still need some filtered light though. As my place doesn’t get much direct sunlight, I hang them at my windows. 

I see. Is there a type of Tillandsia called Air Pineapple? I thought I heard it somewhere. Quite interesting a name 🙂

39 minutes ago, Dart said:

I see. Is there a type of Tillandsia called Air Pineapple? I thought I heard it somewhere. Quite interesting a name 🙂

Pardon me for my ignorance, I'm not too sure if air pineapple refers to any specific type of Tillandsia. I can relate the name though as both the pineapple and Tillandsia belong to the same family, Bromeliaceae. So they are like relatives 😄

Edited by Coolbriz

Would you believe we have a banana tree in our office? This is my officemates baby but my own plants I have them at home. I‘ll share more of them.

4Kkopl6.jpg

Edited by riverrobles

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

4 hours ago, riverrobles said:

Would you believe we have a banana tree in our office? This is my officemates baby but my own plants I have them at home. I‘ll share more of them.

8D7D7DB2-FE3A-4E3B-BAF7-2DD7A88D45EF.thumb.jpeg.e9af50cbc8b98da31dba9a90bb567af1.jpeg

Wow, a banana plant kept in the office. Is it a hybrid? Has it fruited before? I mean besides those mobile ones 😄 Great, do share your plants with us.

I am not sure if its a hybrid but I would guess it is since it is stunted and small compared to the normal banana tree.

Yes, according to my office mate who is the owner of this baby it has born fruit before.

Can I share plants in my home , mostly indoor plants, not office plants though.

I really do not have a green thumb but because of the pandemic I tried to spice my small flat with plants.

My first challenge here in Germany was the ever changing weather even during spring, I thought the plants could withstand the cold 15 degc C, I also bought soil and fertilizer. I am here to know more how you take care of plants and also learn from the same problems you had with overwatering, soil and insects. This is a cool thread.

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

WQPofyr.jpg

22 hours ago, riverrobles said:

I am not sure if its a hybrid but I would guess it is since it is stunted and small compared to the normal banana tree.

Yes, according to my office mate who is the owner of this baby it has born fruit before.

Can I share plants in my home , mostly indoor plants, not office plants though.

I really do not have a green thumb but because of the pandemic I tried to spice my small flat with plants.

My first challenge here in Germany was the ever changing weather even during spring, I thought the plants could withstand the cold 15 degc C, I also bought soil and fertilizer. I am here to know more how you take care of plants and also learn from the same problems you had with overwatering, soil and insects. This is a cool thread.

Actually, office plants are indoor plants 😀 Yes, please share the ones you keep at home. Likewise for me, I left caring for plants since my working life begun. Now with movement control due to the pandemic, my interest in flora seems to be rekindled. It's the most sensible and benificial thing for me to get myself occupied  without having to leave home.

Interesting, you're writing from Germany. In temperate countries, I learn that tropical plants are taken indoors for heating and lighting on cooler months like during the winter.

Well, I'm not a pro but I do know a bit of essential tips on caring for plants i.e. pertaining to media (soil), fertilizer, watering,  insecticide & etc. We can exchange views and perhaps others can chip in too 🌿

For now, this is how my home office set-up is last spring so that you can see the before and after of my plants.

I will take a photo of each wherein I had success, most of them are easy to care plants as stated on the website I ordered these plants but as a newbie it was not that easy.

AXUXhdr.jpg

WQPofyr.jpg

It is right to put these plants by the window but they still need to be placed outside say once in a week for them to bask in the sun and get fresh air ventilation. In this way, your indoor plants will thrive. You can do that now as it is summer in Germany.

Indoor plants placed permanently indoor may survive but they will not thrive.

I have my plant and she has grown after 3 months.

The name of the plant is Dracena Marginata.

I water her once a week and then a liquid fertilizer each month.

My only problem is the tip of the leaves are drying. Am I doing something wrong?

In some photos , the sides of elongated leaves are with red color but mine has none.

I am Germany and now it is summer, the temperature currently can go to 25 deg C outside but even on summer it can down to 13 deg C.

Then it is even raining,  I am afraid to put it outside thinking that the leaves will wither more? @Dart maybe you can help.

6sQ6v0E.jpg

WQPofyr.jpg

I have another nook with these plants, it was labeled easy to care and it was on sale because , I hope can keep them alive until .

By the way, this was taken 2 months ago, and I want you to see how the've grown and what plants I was not successful in maintaining.

3ymjAXs.jpg

Edited by riverrobles

WQPofyr.jpg