Male HQ

Buddhist Support Group

Bodhiguy

https://www.kmspks.org/

Start a new Lunar Year with the offering to the Triple Gems. May the merit accumulated be dedicated to all sentient beings.

Why make Offering?
Making shrine offerings is an act of devotion which expresses appreciation and veneration to the Triple Gem. The offering of food represents the wish to achieve the nectar of Dharma. The offering of light represents the illuminating brightness of wisdom, which dispels the darkness of ignorance on the path towards Enlightenment.

Items in the Offering Package?
Package A ($10) - Butter Oil Light (3 Hours) and Sunflower Oil (1 Litres)
Package B ($28) - Butter Oil Light (3 Hours), Sunflower Oil (2 Litres), Fragrant Rice (1kg) and 1 Pot of Flower

What happen to Fragrant Rice and Sunflower Oil after offering?
After offering, the Rice and Sunflower Oil will be given to the Monastery or other charity organisation at our discretion.

Dedicated By
The entry under "Dedicate By" will be reflected on the Offering list and placed near the item during offering.
Please note that the font size of the entry on the Offering list will automatically be adjusted based on the length of each entry.
(which means, the longer the entry, the smaller the font will reflect on the Offering list.)

Customer Notice
There will not be any email notice informing you that the items are being offered.

Edited by Bodhiguy

• 6 months later...

Dear All, 

Its been awhile since we started Buddhist Support Group ( strictly Non Sexual , No fighting , Non Anger, Greed and Delusion, as a basis of criteria).

we hereby wish to rekindle this interests, which we will add you after private PM to my inbox , subject to 

1) no orientations, acceptace of all

2) Non  sexual , or  harassment of any kind

3) Practice of  No Greed, Anger or Delusion ( including gossips )

This group intents and supports  and be a low profile  group  within which we are:

1)  living as Buddhists

2)  Share, Chart, Preparing for now to  Last Journey ( this itself s long planning )

3)  Sharing of Constructive Thought and Supports esp for single

4) Ad hoc merit charity events ( sri lanka / China / Thailand )

welcome all with likeminded interests esp there are cases where :

1) still closed with family

2) rejected by family and friends

3) single and alone 

4) single and alone , no siblings

5) even couple, may alone need help if above (1,2, 3 and 4 )

6) Single, married or bi, or straight Curios but needs trusted buddhist , last journey support...during last days, wake , 7 x 7 days, 100 days, anniversary ...etc )

7) No consideration of education, background and profession.

The group do not intent to stand up like a loud " pink dot grp " etc...not for gay liberation fights etc or society acceptance right, but a group that we ourselves can help each other in times of crisis , where no family members stands during our live journey. ( do read till the end )

We do not represent any temples or organisations, but truly want to form a group that we can sustain support and help within this group.

We welcome lawyers ( non profitable )  who can assist in will writing,  Lasting Power of Attorney etc

https://www.income.com.sg/value-added-services/referral-services/will-writing-services

For confidentiality , kindly PM ( private message to join ) , 

For past year, I have already lost  many friends, either natural, or suicidal cases and also have walk along  fullfilling the final moments.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/man-found-dead-in-marine-parade-flat-led-meaningful-life-9866868

Dying alone does not always mean the deceased had a sad, lonely life

The man found dead in a Marine Parade flat might have been alone in his final moments, his nephew said, but he led a "meaningful" life that he wouldn't have lived any other way.

SINGAPORE: The 65-year-old man whose decomposed body was found in a Marine Parade flat last week was a fiercely independent person who chose to live alone, and the fact that he lay undiscovered for a number of days does not indicate he lived a sad, lonely life. 

That was the view of the man's nephew, who decided to speak out after many online comments suggesting that his uncle, Gerald Fu, must have lived in unhappy isolation.  

His nephew Glen, who asked to only be identified by his first name, told Channel NewsAsia that his uncle decided to live alone with intermittent contact with his family after his mother died. 

“As an outsider or a family member, you need to know where to draw the line and not to cross that line,” the self-employed 46-year-old said.

When Channel NewsAsia first reported the discovery on Jan 10, the condolences on social media came thick and fast.

But some commenters also jumped to conclusions.

“Singapore has come to this stage where old people (are) left alone to survive by themselves,” wrote one person.

Another said: “Many old people live alone as they have no family or family members are too busy to bother.”

Such statements have angered Glen, who felt the need to clear the air amid some “pretty nasty things” said online.

“People can make up a lot of things,” he said. “It’s easy to sit there and just type things without actually understanding what happened.

And for someone who had led a very fantastic and beautiful life, I felt that it was only right of me to just say a few words.”

According to Glen, his uncle might have wanted a change in lifestyle after flying with Singapore Airlines, where he worked as an in-flight supervisor, for more than 30 years.

“He’d come into contact with many people, so maybe he just wanted some peace to himself,” he suggested. “I guess you can just be tired of mixing around.”

Gerald was also a “headstrong” character who sometimes refused to go to the doctor or have dinner with friends, Glen said.

But his uncle was far from reclusive.

“If you flew for 30 over years, you can’t be anti-social,” he said. “I think he reached a stage of life where you sort of quieten down and mellow.”

To that end, Gerald had many family and friends who cared for him. They would occasionally text and visit him, and he would look after their pet dogs from time to time.

“The line was always open both ways,” Glen said. “He didn’t need to be checked up on all the time.

He’s always been fine, he’s always been able to do his own things.”

Furthermore, Gerald was “educated enough” to know when to look for help, Glen added.

When Gerald had a heart issue he called Glen, who brought him to the hospital where he was given a stent.

After the procedure, Glen offered to take time off from work to bring him home, but he refused.

“Next thing I know, he calls me to tell me I’m home, everything is okay,” he said. “He never liked to encroach on people.”

“FREEDOM” OF LIVING ALONE

National University of Singapore sociologist Tan Ern Ser said some elderly people choose to live alone to avoid the “restrictions and tensions” of living with others.

“Perhaps, they prefer the freedom of not having to adjust to other people’s habits or even put up with their idiosyncrasies,” he said. “Or they themselves have their own habits and idiosyncrasies, which make them difficult house mates.”

While some seniors might not have a choice when it comes to living alone, Dr Tan said, those who do might see it as a “preferred option”.

“This does not mean that they live in complete isolation,” he noted. “They could be living in close proximity to their children, and thereby enjoying intimacy at a short distance.”

According to the 2015 General Household Survey, 82,600 households – or 6.7 per cent of all households – comprised only residents aged 65 or older.

About half of these households, or 41,200, are made up of residents who live alone. This figure is estimated to hit 83,000 by 2030.

With that, a growing community network that cares for elderly people who live alone and eases their loneliness in their twilight years has emerged.

Dr Tan added that the bottom line is not whether a senior is living alone, but whether he or she can depend on social, emotional or financial support from a network of family members, relatives, friends and neighbours.

“What really matters is social distance, rather than physical distance,” he said. “One could be emotionally close to a social network of people, even when physically far apart from the people in the network.”

Nonetheless, whenever the body of an elderly person lies undiscovered for a number of days, it generates widespread concern.

Just last month, the case of a 68-year-old man who died alone in a Punggol flat saw a similar reaction online.

“GENEROUS” MUSIC LOVER

For Glen, his uncle was a “very, very generous” man who spent S$200 a month to feed the stray cats below his block.

In addition, Gerald was a music lover who bought handmade speakers and boasted over a thousand CDs in his collection. His Peranakan-styled home was also featured in the Home and Decor magazine a few years back.

“Some people who pass away (alone) at home, they live in a probably very sparsely furnished house,” Glen said. “But my uncle was totally different.”

However, Glen admitted that dying alone can be a “very sad” thing, regardless of whether one chose to live alone or not.

“The sad part about my uncle’s death and those that die at home alone is that there was no one there with them,” he said. “And as a relative, you feel like your hands were tied, you couldn’t do anything about it.”

Glen said Gerald texted him more than a week before he died to say that he was not feeling well. Glen wanted to take him to the doctor, but he opted to go to a traditional Chinese practitioner instead.

“I’m still trying to come to terms with that and you know, you try to bash yourself up over it,” he added. “Like why didn’t I do this, why didn’t I do that. But you finally come to realise that if he didn’t want it, you couldn’t do it.”

Glen also spoke of his joy at getting to see his uncle a couple of days before he died. Gerald was on his way back from a grocery run at Parkway Parade when Glen bumped into him.

Gerald looked good, Glen said. “I was happy because I got a chance to hug him,” he added, his voice choking. “At least I had a chance to hug him.”

Glen believes his uncle passed away suddenly because he had looked “perfectly fine” and would have called if he needed help.

“You can be sitting down and you get a sudden heart attack, you can’t move and that’s it,” he said. “You can’t predict this kind of thing. Because if you do, every day will be a headache for you.”

Nevertheless, Glen knows that his uncle would not have changed a thing about the way he had lived.

“There’s this song by Frank Sinatra – it’s called My Way,” he said, referring to one of the tracks on the numerous CDs that Gerald owned. 

“My uncle did everything his way.” 

Not, All of us have a great nephew like Glen

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/man-found-dead-in-marine-parade-flat-led-meaningful-life-9866868

Edited by Bodhiguy

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Bodhiguy said:

Regards to this group ( BSG ) , kindly PM interest if you prefer :

1) WhatsApp  or

2) Line Group

so that we can rekindle this interests amongst many of us here, esp those who are alone, without family support for their orientation.

Note again : Not a hook up  or quarrelsome group of such nature

I have started this BSG ( Buddhists Support Group ) on Line

Please PM with BSG indication.

Expect to start Bi- monthly meeting with the group.

Venue to be agreed

Cost - go dutch

On 8/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, Bodhiguy said:

I have started this BSG ( Buddhists Support Group ) on Line

Please PM with BSG indication.

Expect to start Bi- monthly meeting with the group.

Venue to be agreed

Cost - go dutch

Add me. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2017 at 6:48 AM, Bodhiguy said:

Dear Fellow Friends ,

The Lunar 7th month begin 22 August 2017.  

It is a time to show our filial piety. 

http://thanhsiang.org/en/ullambana-festival

Please avoid killing OFFERINGS in this month, Nor burn paper offerings as Buddhist.

Mindful chanting and return of your good merits to your past loved ones, hungry ghosts etc.

http://www.sbl.org.sg/chn/perennialactivity.aspx

http://www.sbl.org.sg/chn/fahui.aspx

https://www.kmspks.org/gallery/ullambana-2/

https://www.facebook.com/GoldenPagodaBuddhistTemple/     ( ullambana-festival 22 August - 02 September 2017 ) see table events below )

https://www.facebook.com/BuddhaToothRelicTemple/

地藏法會%201240x1754%202017.jpg

http://www.btrts.org.sg/temple-m-ksitigarbha-bodhisattva/

About Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha

mezzanine_Ksitigarbha4.jpg

Ksitigarbha (Sanskrit: क्षितिगर्भ Kṣitigarbha; Chinese: Dìzàng, 地藏; Tibetan: Sahi-sning-po; Japanese: Jizō Bosatsu; Korean: Chijang Posal; Mongol: Gachar-un Jiruken) is a Bodhisattva primarily revered in East Asian Buddhism, usually depicted as a Buddhist monk in the Orient. The name may be translated as “He who encompasses the Earth”, “Earth Treasury”, “Earth Store”, “Earth Matrix”, “Essence of Earth” or “Earth Womb”. He is one of the famed Eight Great Bodhisattvas or Mahasattvas.

Ksitigarbha is enumerated among other Bodhisattvas in the Avatamsaka Sutra, translated by Buddhabhadra into Chinese in AD 421. The Dasacakra Ksitigarbha Sutra (Sutra of Ten Wheels), which lists his qualities, was translated in full by Ven Hsuan-tsang in 651. This scripture describes Ksitigarbha as a śramaṇa arriving with His retinue from the south. The awestruck audience found themselves ornately decorated, holding a bright wish-granting jewel (this may explain the presence of the jewel in Ksitigarbha’s left hand). The Ksitigarbha Pranidhana Sutra (Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva), one of the most popular sutras in China, is attributed to Siksanada (AD 652 – 710).Ksitigarbha is known for his vow to take responsibility for the instruction of all beings in the six worlds between the nirvana of Buddha Gautama (Sakyamuni) and the arrival of Buddha Maitreya, as well as his vow not to achieve Buddhahood until all hells are emptied. He is therefore often regarded as the bodhisattva of hell beings, as well as the guardian of children and patron deity of deceased children and aborted fetuses in Japanese culture. Usually depicted as a monk with a nimbus around his shaved head, he carries a staff to force open the gates of hell and a wish-fulfilling jewel to light up the darkness.
mezzanine_Ksitigarbha5.jpg

Birth

Ksitigarbha during his past lives was born variously as the son of the elders, Brahman lady, king, etc. According to Longevetiy Ksitigarbha Pranidhana Sutra, in all these lives as commoners, he had always vowed to help all livings and to ‘ferry over’ all living beings from the hells. Hence, he had such a great compassionate vow, that it was called the “Great Vow”.

According to the Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva, Chapter 1, Buddha Sakyamuni said:

“Manjushri, indescribably many eons ago, during the time of a Buddha named Lion Sprint Complete in the Ten Thousand Practices Thus Come One, Earth Store Bodhisattva, Mahasattva was the son of a great Elder.

That Elder’s son, upon observing the Buddha’s hallmarks and fine features and how the thousand blessings adorned him, asked that Buddha what practices and vows made him so magnificent.

Lion Sprint Complete in the Ten Thousand Practices Thus Come One then said to the Elder’s son. If you wish to have a body like mine, you must first spend a long time liberating beings who are undergoing suffering.’

“Manjushri, that comment caused the Elder’s son to make a vow: ‘From now until the ends of future time throughout uncountable eons I will use expansive expedient means to help beings in the Six Paths who are suffering for their offenses. Only when they have all been liberated, will I myself become a Buddha.’

From the time he made that great vow in the presence of that Buddha until now, hundreds of thousands of nayutas of inexpressibly many eons have passed and still he is a Bodhisattva.”

Dharma

In the Ksitigarbha Sutra, between the Buddha Shakyamuni’s Maha Paranirvana and the arrival of the Buddha Maitreya, the Saha-world would exist without a Buddha. Concerned that celestial beings will have no one to turn to, Buddha Shakyamuni asked Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha to use his powers to ‘ferry over’ the devas that fall into the hells. Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha vowed that should any living beings not yet ‘ferried over’, he would not wish to become a Buddha, and this is one of the most touching story in Buddhism.

According to the Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva, Chapter 2, Buddha Sakyamuni said:

“Reflect on how I have toiled for repeated eons and endured acute suffering to take across and free stubborn beings who resist being taught and who continue to suffer for their offenses.

Those not yet subdued undergo retributions according to their karma. If they fall into the evil destinies and are enduring tremendous suffering, then you should remember the gravity of this entrustment I am now giving you here in the palace of the Trayastrimsha Heaven:

Find ways to liberate all beings in the Saha world from now until the time when Maitreya comes into the world. Help them escape suffering forever, encounter Buddhas, and receive predictions.”

At that time all the division bodies of Earth Store Bodhisattva that came from all those worlds merged into single form. Then he wept and said to the Buddha, “Throughout long eons I have been receiving the Buddha’s guidance and from that have developed inconceivable spiritual power and great wisdom.

My division bodies fill worlds as many as grains of sand in billions of Ganges Rivers. In each of those worlds, I transform myself into billions of bodies. Each body takes across billions of people, helping them to return respectfully to the Triple Jewel, escape birth and death forever, and reach the bliss of Nirvana.

Even if their good deeds within the Buddhadharma amount to as little as a strand of hair, a drop of water, a grain of sand, or a mote of dust, I will gradually take them across, liberate them, and help them gain great benefit.

I only hope that the World Honored One will not be concerned about beings of the future who have bad karma. ” In that way he addressed the Buddha three times: “I only hope that the World Honored One will not be concerned about beings of the future who have bad karma.”

Entrustment
According to the Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva, Chapter 13, Buddha Sakyamuni said:

“Earth Store, Earth Store, remember this entrustment that I am again making here in the Trayastrimsha Heaven in this great assembly of hundreds of thousands of millions of indescribably many Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, gods, dragons, and the rest of the Eightfold Division.

I again entrust to you the gods, people, and others who are still in the burning house and have not yet left the Triple World.

Do not allow those beings to fall into the evil destinies even for a single day and night, much less fall into the Fivefold Relentless Hell or the Avichi Hell, where they would have to pass through thousands of millions of eons with no chance of escape.

“Earth Store, the beings of southern Jambudvipa have irresolute wills and natures. They habitually do many evil deeds. Even if they resolve to do good, they soon renounce that resolve. If they encounter evil conditions, they tend to become increasingly involved in them.

For those reasons I reduplicate hundreds of thousands of millions of bodies to transform beings, take them across, and liberate them, all in accord with their own fundamental natures.

“Earth Store, I now earnestly entrust the multitudes of gods and people to you.”

Mantras
According to Shingon and other East Asian Esoteric Buddhist schools, the mantra of Ksitigarbha is:

1. Namaḥ samantabuddhānāṃ, ha ha ha, sutanu svāhā

In addition, a mantra they used in religious services is:

1.                On kaka kabi sanmaei sowaka

Chinese Buddhists recite the name of Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha as His mantra (also known as His name mantra) which is:

1.           Námó dìzàng wáng púsà (hanyu pinyin) (南無地藏王菩萨)

For Korean Buddhists, His mantra is:

1.             Namo jijang bosal

Tibetan Buddhists recite the following:

HA (His seed syllable)
Oṃ kṣitigarbha bodhisattva yaḥ (name mantra) OM AH KSHITI GARBHA THALENG HUM (name mantra)

According to A Garland of Jewels by Jamgön Mipham (which is a compilation of stories of the eight great bodhisattvas from the sutras and tantras taught by Buddha), Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha, after making offerings to ‘Buddhas equaling the number of sand grains of the river Ganga,’ received the ‘dharani of immeasurable benefits’ from them, which He revealed in a meeting with Buddha Shakyamuni:

20106308_1383114795129999_2994729500329759084_n.jpg

The above event  ( ( ullambana-festival 22 August - 02 September 2017 ) see table events below )
  at Golden Pagoda Temple

Highlights info row image
Highlights info row image
6582 0988

ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN :

Dress Code : NO Sleeveless. No Tank TOPS , NO shorts / Bermudas
Proper Decent Clothes, Non Revealing. Observe Strict Silence in Prayer HALL
Come with a blissful mind, and practice together.

阿弥陀佛

20229331_1421895164525380_1811024690905984705_n.jpg

20245486_1420192828028947_7774914436509845523_n.jpg

Listen to this if you understand cantonese :)
http://jeffhck.blogspot.com/2018/09/explanation-of-ksitigarbha.html

• 1 month later...

No Frills Buddhist Chanting and Ceremony, earnestly and honestly @ Singapore Buddhist Lodge.

Buddhist Lodge has no preference /bias over rich or poor, race or color....as long as  you practice metta with a good heart.

Registration opens to all @ Singapore Buddhist Lodge, 2nd Level.

释迦法会_2018.jpg

水陆法会 - https://baike.baidu.com/item/水陆法会

Liberation Rite of Water and Land

The Liberation Rite of Water and Land, also commonly known as the Waterland Dharma Function is a Chinese Buddhist ritual performed by temples and presided over by high monks.
The service is often credited as one of the greatest rituals in Chinese Buddhism, as it is also the most elaborate and extremely rare service. Wikipedia

https://www.kmspks.org/major-events/shui-lu-grand-prayer/

2018-Shui-Lu-Schedule_A3.jpg

福海禪寺 Foo Hai Ch'an Monastery

http://www.foohai.org

Founded on 1 January 1935

PfXN9vk7jn6.png
Mission
願景:弘揚佛陀教法,實踐菩薩精神;建設人間淨土,共創和諧社會。
Vision:Spread Buddha's Dharma and Actualize the Spirit of the Bodhisattva. Construct a Pure Land on Earth and Build a Harmonious Society.

使命:點燃智慧,薪火相承;莊嚴國土,利樂有情。
Mission: Ignite and Pass on the Torch of Wisdom. Enhance a Dignified and Solemn Homeland that Benifits All Being.

m.me/fhcm87

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Bodhiguy

On 11/10/2018 at 3:57 PM, Bodhiguy said:

http://digitaldhammamission.com/

http://digitaldhammamission.com/event/pilgrimage-to-india/

November 26 - December 7

A pilgrimage is a spiritual journey when one visits a sacred place as an act of religious devotions. India as the land of the Buddha is the chosen venue this year. The trip is scheduled in November. Stay tune for further registration information

A bit too late to plan.  Will try next year.

Don't read and response to guests' post

• 1 year later...

There has been a rise on enquries for this group:

Basically to join , especially for those (single/helpless)  in distress for near live end or preparing for the last journey years :

Believes in Karma 

Practice 8 Noble Path

Doing Metta

Self Cultivate

Anonymous HELP / SUPPORT chat here. ...Just IN BOX

PM IN BOX if keen

PS : We may happen to meet, Just smile and be discrete in temples / Buddhist meet ...This is the agenda.

Do not OUT anyone.

Be Discrete...Thats this group

Edited by Bodhiguy

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 5:20 AM, Bodhiguy said:

There has been a rise on enquries for this group:

Basically to join , especially for those (single/helpless)  in distress for near live end or preparing for the last journey years :

Believes in Karma 

Practice 8 Noble Path

Doing Metta

Self Cultivate

Anonymous HELP / SUPPORT chat here. ...Just IN BOX

PM IN BOX if keen

PS : We may happen to meet, Just smile and be discrete in temples / Buddhist meet ...This is the agenda.

Do not OUT anyone.

Be Discrete...Thats this group

Does yr Buddhist group tied to any denomination?

• 1 year later...