Male HQ

Dizi theory question

Guest Confuse

Guest Confuse

Hi

Not sure this is the correct place to put the thread,  anyway

I am learning dizi with a tutor.  I have F dizi. With my tunner,  when all they holes are covered and blown,  it shows Do note.  But my tutor said it is low Sol note,  and the Do is when first 3 holes are cover,  wheras the tunner shows Fa instead.  Which is the correct one if any one play dizi here? 

Try goggle but have no info so far

Guest GuestHere
34 minutes ago, Guest Confuse said:

Hi

Not sure this is the correct place to put the thread,  anyway

I am learning dizi with a tutor.  I have F dizi. With my tunner,  when all they holes are covered and blown,  it shows Do note.  But my tutor said it is low Sol note,  and the Do is when first 3 holes are cover,  wheras the tunner shows Fa instead.  Which is the correct one if any one play dizi here? 

Try goggle but have no info so far

Whats ur id? Can add?

Guest Confuse

My tunner is chromatic KORG one,  should be able to detect roughly (maybe not eaxct true pitch compare with ear tunning like Violin),  but should give one idea what the pitch of the note playing :)

I am no good at giving examples but it's about transposing. If u try to play using 'C' key flute than it will match your tuner 'Do' .

u can Find out more and do a research too.

btw, i like the sound of Dizi.  Which school u attended ?

can pm me?

Edited by Chn_guy_sg
More details

Google "Tranposing instrument"

The confusion arises because of the difference between notated pitch and the pitch that

actually sounds (i.e. concert pitch).

On a F-tranposing flute/dizi, when you see the notation for the note C (or "Do"), you play your flute by covering all the holes.  However, the note that sounds is an F.

Conversely if you want your instrument to produce the concert pitch C, you need to play the notated pitch of G (or "So").  

It has nothing to do with the tuner.  A chromatic tuner tells you the actual pitch that sounds.  

Hope that helps!

Since u hv a F key flute, means F note is as Do. Actually u r referring C major where C note is refer as Do. In 五线谱, any key can be Do. For any dizi, if it is a D key flute it mean D can be used as Do and the 4th to 6th holes has to cover. If it is a E flute, it mean E is used as Do when the 4th to 6th holes r covered. For ur F flute, besides F can be used as Do, A note can be used as Do by covering 4th and 5th holes. If u hv line. Give me ur id, I can explain to u more details

In those chinese music if it is D调mean D note is Do. For D Key flute, Do is by covered the 4th to 6th hole to play a D 调 music. If playing a E 调 music by a E key flute, the E note is Do and need to covered the 4th to 6th holed

There are a lot of Chinese traditional music around in Singapore: SCO, PACO, Dingyi, Keat Hong CO, City CO etc.

Then there are the local composers Phoon Yew Tien 潘耀田, Wang Chenwei 王辰威, Benjamin Lim 林亿 and Phang Kok Jun 冯国峻.

Otherwise, there is always Youtube! Enjoy!Also watch out for the Singapore National Chinese Music Competition in 2018!

• 1 year later...
  • Guest locked this topic