Male HQ
Guest Guest

Drone with camera

Guest Guest

Anyone owns a drone with camera? Is it easy to manoeuvre and take aerial picture? Is it worth it? I'm thinking to buy something special for my father for his Birthday. He likes to take picture of his grandchildren and post it on our family whatapps group. Not sure whether the drone will be easily get burnt, or the flight action time is too short to be worthing at all. Check online but cannot find conclusion. Need some real testimonial from real user. Anyone?

Guest Drone

Singapore drone laws you should know,

Flying a drone ain’t like flying a kite. As fun and frolicsome as it may be, flying a drone is governed by certain laws in Singapore, enacted in June 2015 to ensure the safety of others. Here are some pointers to take note of.

1. Stay away from protected places

While you might have good intentions in your aerial mapping expedition, the authorities feel that some secrets should remain hidden. As such, you can’t fly your drone within 5km of a protected area – including airports and air bases.

2. Don’t fly too high

Unfortunately, you can’t quite reach for the stars, even if your drone’s physically capable of busting through the stratosphere. Watch your altitude while flying; you can’t soar higher than 61 metres above mean sea level.

3. Watch your weight

Not you, silly. Flying a drone is fit for people of all shapes and sizes. Sadly, this doesn’t apply to drones; you need a permit to fly if your drone’s heavier than 7kg. However, this hardly impedes recreational users since most drones weight far below that threshold.

4. Apply for a permit before you can point and click

Before you go trigger-happy with your drone, do bear in mind that all activities of aerial photography require an application to the Civil Aviation Authority Of Singapore. This also applies to instances of surveying and aerial advertising.

5. Don’t attach anything dangerous

We don’t quite understand why anyone would do this consciously. But you do run the risk of a hefty $100,000 fine (and a five-year jail stint) if you’re found lugging arms and explosives, biological agents, radioactive material or dangerous fireworks on your drone. Then again, why would you even have these things?    

http://thehoneycombers.com/singapore/tech-hobbies-your-ultimate-guide-to-drones-in-singapore-from-the-best-models-to-laws-and-shops/

Guest Guest
8 minutes ago, Guest Drone said:

Singapore drone laws you should know,

Flying a drone ain’t like flying a kite. As fun and frolicsome as it may be, flying a drone is governed by certain laws in Singapore, enacted in June 2015 to ensure the safety of others. Here are some pointers to take note of.

1. Stay away from protected places

While you might have good intentions in your aerial mapping expedition, the authorities feel that some secrets should remain hidden. As such, you can’t fly your drone within 5km of a protected area – including airports and air bases.

2. Don’t fly too high

Unfortunately, you can’t quite reach for the stars, even if your drone’s physically capable of busting through the stratosphere. Watch your altitude while flying; you can’t soar higher than 61 metres above mean sea level.

3. Watch your weight

Not you, silly. Flying a drone is fit for people of all shapes and sizes. Sadly, this doesn’t apply to drones; you need a permit to fly if your drone’s heavier than 7kg. However, this hardly impedes recreational users since most drones weight far below that threshold.

4. Apply for a permit before you can point and click

Before you go trigger-happy with your drone, do bear in mind that all activities of aerial photography require an application to the Civil Aviation Authority Of Singapore. This also applies to instances of surveying and aerial advertising.

5. Don’t attach anything dangerous

We don’t quite understand why anyone would do this consciously. But you do run the risk of a hefty $100,000 fine (and a five-year jail stint) if you’re found lugging arms and explosives, biological agents, radioactive material or dangerous fireworks on your drone. Then again, why would you even have these things?    

http://thehoneycombers.com/singapore/tech-hobbies-your-ultimate-guide-to-drones-in-singapore-from-the-best-models-to-laws-and-shops/

Yup. I know about the law. there are even youtube about it. What is your experience with flying a drone? Is it worth it?

I own a DJI Mavic, after buying it only used around less than 10 times. Sg gvt very strict over drones, extremely hard to find a 'legal' place to fly. I find myself just quickly taking off and packing up quickly to avoid complaints 

Guest FlyMeToTheMoon

Long term not worthy at all. Considering how controlled the law is over here. I got two smaller ones and two regular size(with cams). Both end up in the closet. Not only that -  you need to consider maintenance. Motor will get burnt and parts may get missing or spoil over time. Spare battery is a must if you want longer flight time. I dont own those hi end drones but cheaper ones that can be customise just like Tamiya car. These quad copter are great for beginners tho.

I would love to have one myself (mainly because I wanna explore videography while learning colour correction etc and photography from a new angle)

But as mentioned above, flying a drone in Singapore can be tricky. Even more so when you post any form of footage that violates the law, not to mention the troublesome procedures!

Guest DJI Mavic Pro

I have been studying and considering buying a DJI drone for my aerial photography in the past 5 months. After much thought and research, I have suspended the idea because of procedural law both here and abroad..Many countries requires you to have a permit to bring it in and another permit to fly it. It can be troublesome if you break either law.

Anyone owns or has flown a DJI Spark? Will be interested to know if it’s good in terms of video/picture quality, ease of use and flight stability, etc.

Guest guestsober

I am still waiting for the drone pizza delivery to my hse. I am sick and tired of opening the door and gate late night to collect my pizza. How nice would it be if i could collected it in my room window on top. So gd!

1 hour ago, Coolbriz said:

Anyone owns or has flown a DJI Spark? Will be interested to know if it’s good in terms of video/picture quality, ease of use and flight stability, etc.

I have both the Spark and the Mavic Pro Platinum.   The Spark take good video and photos too, its easier to use, hence better for beginner.  However, I prefer the Mavic Pro, its more stable in flight and much more reliable with its remote control as it uses Occusync instead of just regular WIFI, also its range is far more superior to Spark.  My Spark is now out of action, because it crashed after its battery popped out (a design shortcoming of Spark),  battery will pop out mid flight if  its not firmly inserted and it happened a few times to me, the latest pop out incident severely damaged it.  Spark's battery catch mechanism is very flimsily made and badly designed. 

Edited by Fit4Masc

23 minutes ago, Fit4Masc said: I have both the Spark and the Mavic Pro Platinum.   The Spark take good video and photos too, its easier to use, hence better for beginner.  However, I prefer the Mavic Pro, its more stable in flight and much more reliable with its remote control as it uses Occusync instead of just regular WIFI, also its range is far more superior to Spark.  My Spark is now out of action, because it crashed after its battery popped out (a design shortcoming of Spark),  battery will pop out mid flight if  its not firmly inserted and it happened a few times to me, the latest pop out incident severely damaged it.  Spark's battery catch mechanism is very flimsily made and badly designed. 

Ah ok, thanks for sharing. Can both be flown indoor? Or, can they hover steadily when control-free? Quite surprised for a reputable drone producer to have introduced such severe issue with the battery compartment! 

They both should be flown outdoors.  They both have built in GPS receivers to receive signals from the satellites in space to keep them locked in position during hover. hence more suited for outdoors.  Though they both have built-in downward facing cameras and sensors to try to stop them from drifting during hover indoor, but they can be affected by lighting conditions and the uniformity of the flooring surface and may not always works.  If you intend to fly indoor, than buy other drones designed for indoor use, they are much cheaper.

Edited by Fit4Masc

2 hours ago, doncoin said:

I got the Mavic Air. Fun little toy to play with and definitely takes a little practice to get use to it using gestures. 

Read some reviews. Seems like Mavic air is somewhat in-between spark and Mavic Pro in specs. Do you use hand gesture to move your drone? Is the drone accurate in returning to its designated “home” assuming gps signal is clear?

37 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

Read some reviews. Seems like Mavic air is somewhat in-between spark and Mavic Pro in specs. Do you use hand gesture to move your drone? Is the drone accurate in returning to its designated “home” assuming gps signal is clear?

So far so good with gestures. Took a while to get the hang of it but the drone has to be near enough for it to "see" your gestures. If you are using to remote to fly it further away, you can't really use gestures. The Air is somewhat noisy to me compared to Spark. 

24 minutes ago, doncoin said:

So far so good with gestures. Took a while to get the hang of it but the drone has to be near enough for it to "see" your gestures. If you are using to remote to fly it further away, you can't really use gestures. The Air is somewhat noisy to me compared to Spark. 

Right, thanks for the review! 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

counter