Male HQ

the relationship ideal

ctglobal

I have little to say here, given my age and a couple of unsuccessful relationships. But since you crafted such a long and insightful post (and because you are one of the very few good guys here), I thought why not. Doubt you'll find it helpful though.

i was in a relationship for about 2years. He is a great guy, funny, adorable and really sweet. We connected on so many levels, emotional, sexually and more or less intellectually. But like you, I started to question things about over a year into the relationship. I told a little break from him (not a relationship one), went to the states where we rarely chatted - we were both aware of this, but still committed. I needed the time to think about where the relationship is going and sort my feelings out. I came to realize that I was so dependent on him. My emotions were tied to his. I needed to text him, and when I don't I get a little anxious. Jealousy was a constant thing. I realized that there was something fundamentally wrong with this relationship, more specifically me. I used to describe that self as a love parasite. (Not exactly the best picture comes to mind) When I came back I tried to be more independent and relaxed. But it didn't work out because that's the relationship ship he wanted, to be adored and cared for - to know that I would do anything, no matter how I conceivable, for him. I was young. He was amazing. But that's not what I want. So I left.

its after this relationship and a few more that I realized I needed time away from this mess. People say in a relationship is when two become one or that they are incomplete and need someone to complete them. I used to buy into all these, thinking it was sweet and romantic. Took a long while to develop an understanding that we aren't here in parts. We are here as a whole person. I don't want someone to complete me. I complete me. Whoever I end up with will merely add wonderful things to my life, but it doesn't make me any more complete than I could potentially be. Unlike you, I don't have a list and I try not to think too hard about this. This is human/emotional relationship, it's not a business one, feelings matter most of all. We can be fighting but when look or think about you, I don't feel hate. Anger sure. But love is always there. Love doesn't drop one moment and suddenly leave without warning - the tree growing from a seed analogy works especially well here. So I don't buy into the counter argument that centers around "what if suddenly you look at him one day and feel nothing"... how is that even possible (I'll admit maybe I'm too naive and have yet (god forbid) to experienced this). If I feel my relationship a little wonky, I do something to fix it. And if it doesn't get better, we talk about it. We are into this together. Communication plays a huge part, as it should. Anyways I don't wanna go on and on. Unlike you, I don't have a list of qualities in mind. Well a short one. Independent, confident and respectful.

There isn't a right way to be in a relationship or even to think about one. Every couple is unique so only you will know what to do from here on.

i would like to add that I'm not currently in a relationship so only god knows if this philosophy works, but I'm happy with this for now. Of course it changes as I get exposed to new ideas but the general principles remain a constant. I don't ever need to be in a relationship, I will never someone other than myself to make me ME.

sorry I tend to digress so much I think I made this whole comment about me. Tend to do that something, I apologize if you read the whole thing. Not one of my better days for writing cohesively. Regardless, hope that helps in whatever way (bad or good). All the best with your relationship and I do hope things work out. It's always sad to see a relationship end.

oh, one more thing. Drama is find from time to time. But not every couple days... that's actually one of the things about that relationship I didn't particularly like - fight about something stupid then have sex and be all lovey and forgiving. He just needed me to prove I loved him. How fucked up is that. I could go on and on about trust in a relationship but I wouldn't want to bore you. Have a great weekend ahead:)

1 hour ago, dynox said:

I have little to say here, given my age and a couple of unsuccessful relationships. But since you crafted such a long and insightful post (and because you are one of the very few good guys here), I thought why not. Doubt you'll find it helpful though.

Thanks mate, I like your comments and insights as well--- age is but a number.  You find dumb shit old people who act far younger than your years and experience, so don't discount yourself ;0)

1 hour ago, dynox said:

i was in a relationship for about 2years. He is a great guy, funny, adorable and really sweet. We connected on so many levels, emotional, sexually and more or less intellectually. But like you, I started to question things about over a year into the relationship. I told a little break from him (not a relationship one), went to the states where we rarely chatted - we were both aware of this, but still committed. I needed the time to think about where the relationship is going and sort my feelings out. I came to realize that I was so dependent on him. My emotions were tied to his. I needed to text him, and when I don't I get a little anxious. Jealousy was a constant thing. I realized that there was something fundamentally wrong with this relationship, more specifically me. I used to describe that self as a love parasite. (Not exactly the best picture comes to mind) When I came back I tried to be more independent and relaxed. But it didn't work out because that's the relationship ship he wanted, to be adored and cared for - to know that I would do anything, no matter how I conceivable, for him. I was young. He was amazing. But that's not what I want. So I left.

Wise move.  Sounded kinda like he wanted a pawn or a toy, not a bf?  

1 hour ago, dynox said:

its after this relationship and a few more that I realized I needed time away from this mess.

Ya, I tried that before too.  Can help add perspective, but I wonder what else tbh! haha.  A bit dry that stretch : /

1 hour ago, dynox said:

People say in a relationship is when two become one or that they are incomplete and need someone to complete them. I used to buy into all these, thinking it was sweet and romantic. Took a long while to develop an understanding that we aren't here in parts. We are here as a whole person. I don't want someone to complete me. I complete me. Whoever I end up with will merely add wonderful things to my life, but it doesn't make me any more complete than I could potentially be. Unlike you, I don't have a list and I try not to think too hard about this. This is human/emotional relationship, it's not a business one, feelings matter most of all. We can be fighting but when look or think about you, I don't feel hate. Anger sure. But love is always there. Love doesn't drop one moment and suddenly leave without warning - the tree growing from a seed analogy works especially well here. So I don't buy into the counter argument that centers around "what if suddenly you look at him one day and feel nothing"... how is that even possible (I'll admit maybe I'm too naive and have yet (god forbid) to experienced this). If I feel my relationship a little wonky, I do something to fix it. And if it doesn't get better, we talk about it. We are into this together. Communication plays a huge part, as it should.

Yes. The comms piece is critical, and ever so tricky cos there are so many ways of doing it and each person (myself included) has their own preferred style.  Ah humans... 

1 hour ago, dynox said:

Anyways I don't wanna go on and on. Unlike you, I don't have a list of qualities in mind. Well a short one. Independent, confident and respectful.

There isn't a right way to be in a relationship or even to think about one. Every couple is unique so only you will know what to do from here on.

Yeah I will figure it out sooner or later.  Like I said, things now are generally OK lah, nothing to be really distraught over.  If anything I am questioning my ideals and trying to find a good balance or temperance with the reality of life and being human.  What I *don't* want to do is SETTLE for the sake of it, or feel myself gravitating towards that blindly as the defacto option (life is what happens while you are busy making other plans as they say).  

1 hour ago, dynox said:

i would like to add that I'm not currently in a relationship so only god knows if this philosophy works, but I'm happy with this for now. Of course it changes as I get exposed to new ideas but the general principles remain a constant. I don't ever need to be in a relationship, I will never someone other than myself to make me ME.

sorry I tend to digress so much I think I made this whole comment about me. Tend to do that something, I apologize if you read the whole thing. Not one of my better days for writing cohesively. Regardless, hope that helps in whatever way (bad or good). All the best with your relationship and I do hope things work out. It's always sad to see a relationship end.

oh, one more thing. Drama is find from time to time.

The drama thing: I have a no drama policy.  There is genuine emotion and I think that stands out from people who are merely muddying the waters with whatever they watched on a TV series.  Anyone caught busting that one and treating me as their soap opera is kerbside post haste. 

1 hour ago, dynox said:

But not every couple days... that's actually one of the things about that relationship I didn't particularly like - fight about something stupid then have sex and be all lovey and forgiving. He just needed me to prove I loved him. How fucked up is that. I could go on and on about trust in a relationship but I wouldn't want to bore you. Have a great weekend ahead:)

... yeah, that's plain old childish re the "proving it" part.  Gosh.  

Thanks for your post!

8 hours ago, Rhyn said:

I'm back! Finally in the mood to write something. 

For some background knowledge, I've been in a monogamous relationship for over 4 years now. We went to Lanzarote, Spain for our fourth year anniversary celebration that was longggg overdue since February. Studies held us back so we decided to postpone the trip till our studies were cleared.

Personally speaking, the ideal relationship (to me) consists of a few, crucial building blocks. 

Trust

This is a no-brainer. Both of us are committed to each other for a really long time. We have to trust each other in almost everything (except the many times I tried to trust him while crossing the streets of England; might be involved in an accident if I kept listening).  

Sometimes, you have to give them a benefit of doubt. People have to realise that it is impossible for one person to comprehend and understand a person 100%. 

Reality check: it's usually about 50-70% confidence. And even then, when you have opened yourself up to that person, it is not improbable that problems might occur because of differences. 

Lack of trust from any side of the party creates an environment of suspicion. It's unnecessary negative baggage, one that you burden not just yourself, but your partner too. 

Imagine them going out for dinner with friends and you're having mild anxiety at home wondering if he's flirting behind your back. 

Let them be who they are. If you do find out that something about what they do is bothering you, talk about it. Leading me to my next point...

Communication

Another vital building block as per above. Proper and clear communication does result in a better understanding of the person. 

More specifically, honest communication. That is to say, you have to be honest with your loved one. Honesty is closely tied to trust and communication; think of it like the middle stone of a bridge, where both ends are trust and communication. Without it, the bridge will crumble.

Even if have a fight, talk it out. Talk about everything. Talking about everything breaks down communication barriers and both of you get more and more comfortable by understanding the limits to which both of you can handle. 

Freedom

To be in a relationship is not a 1/2+1/2=2, as you've said above. 

As Aristotle once said, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I'll repurpose this quote though.

Human beings are more than parts. We are dynamic creatures roaming the Earth, ruled by social, political and other constrains. These rulings mould and shape us into who we are today. 

Two or more people coming together for a union creates something bigger than just 1+1. Because while the 1 indicates a person, but it does not show the countless possibilities that the 1 person is capable of. 

Add that 1 with another amazing 1, and the relationship becomes another dynamic adventure, both as an individual and a combined entity. 

With all that said, both people in the relationship have to come to terms with the constrains upon them: family and friends are the obvious ones. Let your partner have that freedom of going out with who they want and talk to who they want. 

You will know if your partner is worthy of your love just by what they choose to do with the permission you give them. 

As we (sort of) celebrated our 4th anniversary (dinosaur years for gay relationships!), I always make it (subconsciously) a point to ask him the same questions I asked before, even though the answer might remain the same. Things like "What would you be doing if you've never met me?" or "Will we ever break apart?" are some of the things I've asked and I won't ever stop asking. 

The questions keep the relationship alive and going by peering into the possibilities, discussing the circumstances and gaining knowledge, ensuring that we mutually understand the difficulties ahead of us!

Thanks, really well articulated and your point about trust and freedom especially. How long will you be in the UK? 

44 minutes ago, Rhyn said:

I'm here till 2018/19 possibly (:

cool, pls do stay safe there. seems a bit of a wild place.

incidentally, going back to your earlier post and in the case of your current relationship, what has helped you both build trust?  i mean, it is easy to say "you should have trust" but how does that happen in experience?  i know part of it is in clear communication.  what else?

It's fine actually! But the night is pretty wild and people are less inhibited than Singapore. Even more so when they are fueled with alcohol!

Lots of communication. Like, honest, clear-cut communication. Talking to your partner builds the trust aspect as well.

Trust is a very nebulous, intangible growth in relationship. It's not like a grade card that tells you out of 100%, how trustworthy a person is. 

So if you're at the start of dating, it's communicating with the person. 

Once you're official, it's getting to know each other. 

Trust should be built indirectly; knowing more about the person essentially means that the other party is willing to trust you on things they say. It's not like I tell my friends everything I tell my beloved. Kinda like giving them access to information about yourself you don't usually tell others. 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.