Male HQ

Basic video Camera for Youtube

Guest Local Talent

Guest Local Talent

Hi,  any Youtuber here?  What is your recommendations for minimum gadget needed to start a Youtube Channel.

Having watched many overseas youtubers did their videos, as long as they can garner at least 30K subscribers and minimum of 10K viewership for every video they made, it seems these Youtubers were getting along pretty good in life.  

The types of videos they made were rather random.  I suspect Youtube encouraged educational videos from people who have any kind of talent.   Personally, I am good in art crafts, simple cooking, crystal appreciation, home clearing, pets care, local hiking.   A single simple video of less than 10 minutes and stay focus to bring interest to viewers around the world and get paid.  It boils down to my personal life and I will not be promoting Singapore.  I also noticed another Japanese video where the guy always masked his face when he shoot his cooking skill, sometime accidentally created a harmless fire disaster during the process, yet he did very well in getting at least 20K viewers with every video he put up.  Sometime, he received gift from sponsors too. 

It sounds very excting.  Earning some side income is one thing,  but also help you connect with people outside Singapore who share similar passion and recommendations.  I want to bring my personal interest, life and skills to the world,  I know I will never ever feel lonely with my Youtube Channel it it turn out very sucessful.  I really wanted to live a fruitful life to keep making video in front of the world.  

Any recommendations for a start?

This isn't the best place to ask this. There are google groups, Facebook groups, amino groups and YouTube forums for these novice queries. They will be better to assist you in this new venture:)

good luck with it!! Share some of you videos here so we can show our support! All the best:)

Not a youtuber here... But i do make some vids and post it there... Expressing stuffs that i like and also share with people around the world the things i do.

Those big youtubers have come a long way.... thats y they r successful... For a startup, its always hard, but its not impossible. You just gotta make things stands out from the rest... And thats the hardest part cz most stuff have been done... But still, you can do it if you think hard enough...

Earning from YouTube from the start is nvr a thing... You gotta have a legit job cz its nvr enough... Unless u r damn famous and big which obv is a long way unless u r so damn lucky...

As for equipment...

Camera:

Normal camera will do for a start... even a phone camera will do... think about content rather than what thing u use...

If u want better... maybe get a Sony A6300... Most vlogger use this... Compact mirrorless, able to shoot 4k and high fps > good for slomo... price around $1k+ brand new

DSLRs are also good but more ex... 80D, 5D and all sorts

Editing:

Startup, can just use movie maker... Noob? Yes for me... too simple...

If u use Mac, iMovie 

If u wanna do some stylo milo stuff FCPX(mac), Premiere Pro(mac/windows).

FCPX and Premiere Pro requires u to learn first... cz its way more advance and complicated than iMovie and Movie Maker...

I myself prefer FCPX due to it simple layout but more can be done on Premiere Pro

Other than that... time is a need... Spend some time brainstorming for content and editing... Look for inspiration online...

Do check out my content:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEc4PEV2WDEBquw6CV9VaWA/videos

Good luck

vroom vroom

3 hours ago, Guest Local Talent said:

Hi,  any Youtuber here?  What is your recommendations for minimum gadget needed to start a Youtube Channel.

Having watched many overseas youtubers did their videos, as long as they can garner at least 30K subscribers and minimum of 10K viewership for every video they made, it seems these Youtubers were getting along pretty good in life.  

The types of videos they made were rather random.  I suspect Youtube encouraged educational videos from people who have any kind of talent.   Personally, I am good in art crafts, simple cooking, crystal appreciation, home clearing, pets care, local hiking.   A single simple video of less than 10 minutes and stay focus to bring interest to viewers around the world and get paid.  It boils down to my personal life and I will not be promoting Singapore.  I also noticed another Japanese video where the guy always masked his face when he shoot his cooking skill, sometime accidentally created a harmless fire disaster during the process, yet he did very well in getting at least 20K viewers with every video he put up.  Sometime, he received gift from sponsors too. 

It sounds very excting.  Earning some side income is one thing,  but also help you connect with people outside Singapore who share similar passion and recommendations.  I want to bring my personal interest, life and skills to the world,  I know I will never ever feel lonely with my Youtube Channel it it turn out very sucessful.  I really wanted to live a fruitful life to keep making video in front of the world.  

Any recommendations for a start?

Hello there!

The first thing you should do is ensure that you know how to use the camera and other equipment. 

What kind of content do you plan to make?

While the content may appear random, what captures the audience is how they actually engage with the audience.

How should you tune the equipment so that people can hear your voice properly?

This is important as videos that are too loud or too soft will turn the audience off.

What video editing software should you use?

This is a personal preference, but do some research on what video editing software you should try.

I would suggest investing in

1) Tripod

2) Good microphone

3) Basic DSLR 

4) Lighting setup (in the near future but not necessary)

5) Adobe Premier/Final Cut Pro

You are not into cinematography at the moment, so a basic $20 tripod, a Canon/Nikon second hand DSLR with a kit lens and a microphone works wonders. 

There is also no need for high end editing computers as you probably only need to stitch videos together rather than colour grading/LOG video recording so a simple MacBook/Windows laptop works fine. 

Once you have a sustainable interest and income, continue investing in better equipment, filming techniques and audience engagement. These are crucial to keeping your current audience entertained while attracting new subscribers/viewers.

Good luck on your endeavors! 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

It is definitely NOT the hardware that matters most but the software (script, content, video editing and quality of presenter) that matters.  Any ordinary phone can do the trick but lighting is crucial.  

Focus on just one topic initially - let say, food or interesting places  that may highlight the very essence of uniquely Singapore.  If you want your upload video be seen by foreigners, do a video for backpackers.  Show how they could survive on SGD 10 daily by eating at hawker centres, visiting free landmarks (Gardens by the Bay 7.45 pm light show, Henderson Waves and the environ, the UNESCO Botanic Gardens, China town and that famous Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and those places of religious importance along North Bridge Road...

Recently I hosted 3 young Columbians at my place and brought them around Singapore with a daily budget of $30 for all of us.  We did quite well by taking the FREE MRT ride into the city before 7.45 am, Chee Cheong Fun, mee hoon and Yam Cake breakfast before hopping to Henderson Wave and the Marang Trail.  This led us to Vivocity for Sentosa Broadwalk... Laze around the beach before it was time for late lunch in Chinatown.  4 grown men and total damage at Maria Chicken Rice was $15... not bad before walking around the Chinatown area, temple, mosque and eventually landed ourselves at the Merlion, Esplanade, MBS, Gardens by the Bay, Marina Barrage...Dinner was at the coffeeshop nearby my flat.    So you may do a travelogue-type video and I am sure, many foreigners would like to look at it!

Guest Local Talent

Nope, not going to promote Singapore with food, heritage, people or scene.  It has no artistic value and people cannot keep it after watching my video.  I want them to learn something which they can apply in  their daily life.

I have to mention though, that YouTube is giving content creators priority IF they make videos above 10 minutes. 

So if your video has consistent views, thumbs up and a 10 minute window, your video will get promoted to the popular/trending section almost automatically. 

Of course, packing 10 minute of quality content is not easy, so it would be best to start with 3-5 minutes first and build rapport by linking your videos to friends/public spaces, asking for comments and how you can improve or what you can talk about.

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.