Male HQ

Easy Single Pan Rainbow Cake Recipe

45 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Would there be alternatives to artificial colouring i.e. cuz natural options might be healthier?

I was also thinking the same, however doubt it can achieve that intense and rich color, may end up with a softer pastel color (which may not be that bad). Also read that veg dyes tend to bake brown. Anyone try with Blue Pea Flower blues if the color holds up?

PS: Should do these rainbow/unicorn cakes/ice cream & drinks to sell at Pink Dot.

... journey through my fractured mind,

a fragment at a time...

1 hour ago, Cube3 said:

Would there be alternatives to artificial colouring i.e. cuz natural options might be healthier?

I did consider natural options! I realized for red, you can use beetroot, for green you can use pistachio or matcha. Then I am lost at blue, violet and orange! I tried making orange cake once and oranges don't really contribute a lot to the pigment :( Yellow isnt too difficult because the batter is already yellow in colour :P 

I did just google ingredients to make other colourings naturally but they seem so tedious!!! 

43 minutes ago, poet said:

I was also thinking the same, however doubt it can achieve that intense and rich color, may end up with a softer pastel color (which may not be that bad). Also read that veg dyes tend to bake brown. Anyone try with Blue Pea Flower blues if the color holds up?

PS: Should do these rainbow/unicorn cakes/ice cream & drinks to sell at Pink Dot.

I am so unaware with blue pea flowers I dont even know where to obtain them :P

Don't you need a food license for selling at Pink dot though? :o And currently still in NS, so very difficult to produce more except for my personal enjoyment :yuk:

1 hour ago, BakingWizard said:

I did consider natural options! I realized for red, you can use beetroot, for green you can use pistachio or matcha. Then I am lost at blue, violet and orange! I tried making orange cake once and oranges don't really contribute a lot to the pigment :( Yellow isnt too difficult because the batter is already yellow in colour :P 

I did just google ingredients to make other colourings naturally but they seem so tedious!!! 

1 hour ago, BakingWizard said:

I am so unaware with blue pea flowers I dont even know where to obtain them :P

Don't you need a food license for selling at Pink dot though? :o And currently still in NS, so very difficult to produce more except for my personal enjoyment :yuk:

Blue Pea Flowers has been used traditionally by nonyas to color their kuehs, and the Thais to make the color changing tea, it should be readily available in malay provision shops around Joo Chiat, if all else fails, can try ordering online.

Bluechai-5.jpg7802403570_ecba7b2e7a_z.jpg

Another alternative, more common in western cooking, is boiling purple cabbage and adding baking soda to make it more alkaline, which will change the color to blue, color will turn out more pastel than that rich intensity. I'd imagine BPF is more viable.

Yellow - turmeric

Green - spinach, liquid chlorophyll, wheat grass 

Orange - carrots

I think beetroot tends to bake to a darker red (slightly brownish?) rather than that rich vibrant color, maybe using a base of carrot darkened slightly with beets?

All said, will need to moderate the amount and concentration, you wouldn't want the cake tasting funny with these combination of flavours.

Edited by poet

a fragment at a time...

Not all natural Colours will bake out as vibrant as the above rainbow cake. Quite a few things to consider. Colour can change when it interact with other ingredients. I recall getting dirty brownish when I mixed my strawberries with yogurt in a cake. Also the amount of natural ingredient to get the desire colour effect would also affect the taste. Take for instand to get a bright yellow from turmeric, the cake will have a bitter taste. 

Nevertheless, Thanks @BakingWizard for the post and sharing of recipe. Looks good.

11 hours ago, BakingWizard said:

I hope I will be able to do so some day :P

How about doing a video on this as well? It'll be clearer how the layering effect is achieved for tie dye cakes.

Also on the cake recipe, I'd go for a good quality vanilla extract (madagascar preferably) or even the actual bean itself.

Happy baking!

a fragment at a time...

On 7/3/2017 at 0:49 AM, shyc said:

Not all natural Colours will bake out as vibrant as the above rainbow cake. Quite a few things to consider. Colour can change when it interact with other ingredients. I recall getting dirty brownish when I mixed my strawberries with yogurt in a cake. Also the amount of natural ingredient to get the desire colour effect would also affect the taste. Take for instand to get a bright yellow from turmeric, the cake will have a bitter taste. 

Nevertheless, Thanks @BakingWizard for the post and sharing of recipe. Looks good.

Wow thanks for the pointer! I did notice the same thing but took it for granted! I should include it in as well as a precaution for anyone planning to bake this, and thanks so much for your compliment :P

On 7/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, poet said:

How about doing a video on this as well? It'll be clearer how the layering effect is achieved for tie dye cakes.

Also on the cake recipe, I'd go for a good quality vanilla extract (madagascar preferably) or even the actual bean itself.

Happy baking!

I will probably move on to videos after I ORD! I am currently saving up for a good quality camera for this purpose :P if you want a picture it's on my blog or I can PM you the picture! Didn't want to exceed the file size limit!

and I considered but currently can't really afford vanilla extract so I decided to go for the cheap alternative :P I might consider making my own vanilla extract using vodka and vanilla beans though, its quite sustainable! 

• 4 months later...
Guest ColouredLayeredNice
On 02/07/2017 at 3:45 PM, Cube3 said:

Red : use hawthorn powdered flowers / beetroot / strawberry / cranberry

Yellow : use mashed cooked pumpkin or sweet potato

Orange : shredded orange / lemon skin / carrot juiced

Purple : japanese sweet potato / dragonfruit / blueberry

Blue : blue pea butterfly clitoris ternatea flowers

Green : fragrant pandan leaves (Pandanus amaryllifolius )

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 2:02 AM, Guest ColouredLayeredNice said:

Red : use hawthorn powdered flowers / beetroot / strawberry / cranberry

Yellow : use mashed cooked pumpkin or sweet potato

Orange : shredded orange / lemon skin / carrot juiced

Purple : japanese sweet potato / dragonfruit / blueberry

Blue : blue pea butterfly clitoris ternatea flowers

Green : fragrant pandan leaves (Pandanus amaryllifolius )

Brilliant!

• 3 months later...

18 Rainbow Recipes That Will Send Everyone Over the Rainbow

rainbow-for-pride-ribbon-salad
We went through our extensive stash of rainbow recipes and picked the very best for celebrating Pride. Put on your party pants and let’s do this.

In our humble, rainbow-obsessed opinion, these are the best recipes to celebrate Pride Month (and we do mean “celebrate,” because many of these are jello shots). We’ve got 18 ways to eat and drink all-rainbow everything, all month long.

1. Rainbow Cherry Jigglers
We have a whole list to get through, and we’re not even pacing ourselves. Already the first items are too cute to behold, too tasty to contemplate. These sweet jelly jigglers can be made kid-friendly or adultified with alcohol.

rainbow-for-pride-cherry-jigglers

2. Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies
Obviously we love these pretty swirled cookies, but how’s a person supposed to get through this whole list when every photo makes you stop and stare?

rainbow-for-pride-rainbow-pinwheel-cookies

3. Rainbow Cake Roll
We find this one a lot more than a little hypnotizing, you feel us? (And yes, that’s rainbow chip frosting you see in there.)

rainbow-for-pride-rainbow-cake-roll

4. Rainbow Fudge
The best part of this recipe is that you have to trim the edges, and then guess what? You get to eat those edges.

rainbow-for-pride-rainbow-fudge

5. Skittles™ Rainbow Cake
Taste the rainbow, indeed! It’s almost too pretty to slice, but when you see those layers you’ll be glad you did.

rainbow-for-pride-skittles-cake

6. Rainbow Pasta
How beautiful are all those colored noodles together in one bowl? And the cheese “clouds” are delightfully on-theme.

rainbow-for-pride-rainbow-pasta

7. Rainbow Peppermint Patties
The most colorful fresh-breath makers are right here. And the only thing easier than making them is eating them.

rainbow-for-pride-peppermint-patties

8. Lucky Charms Rainbow Vodka
Uh-oh. It’s getting a little boozy out. Just separate those lucky marshmallows by color, add vodka and viola!

rainbow-for-pride-lucky-charms-vodka

9. Rainbow Cheesecake Swirl Bars
If you’re starting to wonder, “are these people a little obsessed with rainbows, or what?” the answer is a hard yes.

rainbow-for-pride-cheesecake-bars

10. Rainbow Pizza
The healthiest rainbow you’ve ever encountered. You should probably have a few slices before all of those rainbow shots? Just sayin’.

rainbow-for-pride-pizza

11. Rainbow Cakes in a Jar
Too cute to resist. But then, why would you want to?

rainbow-for-pride-cake-in-jars

12. No-Bake Trix™ Rainbow Bars
Does dessert get any easier than this? No, it does not.

rainbow-for-pride-trix-bars

13. Rainbow Pinata Cake
It’s a bright, beautiful, cute-as-all-get-out cake—and it has more awesome on the inside. It’s the little cake that keeps on giving.

rainbow-for-pride-pinata-cake

14. Rainbow Chex™ Mix
Copy: This fun Chex™ mix is almost too beautiful to eat. We think you’ll get over that quickly though, on account of all the sweet-crunchy deliciousness.

rainbow-for-pride-rainbow-chex-mix

15. Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Rainbow Roasted Vegetables
Even dinner gets the ROYGBIV treatment around here. Veggies have never looked so downright irresistible.

rainbow-for-pride-pork-rainbow-veggies

16. Rainbow Sprinkles Fairy Toast
With just three ingredients (hint: one of them is Nutella™) this five-minute treat is pretty much the easiest snack you’ll ever make.

rainbow-for-pride-rainbow-french-toast

17. Rainbow Waffles
Who wouldn’t want to start their day with these cheery waffles? You get a lot of bang for your effort buck, too—they look stunning but are shockingly easy to make.

rainbow-for-pride-waffles

18. Spiked Rainbow Ribbon Salad
Capping things off with the jello shot to end all jello shots. Happy Pride Month!

rainbow-for-pride-ribbon-salad

There’s no such thing as too many rainbow recipes. Browse ‘em all right here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.