Male HQ

Are you a perfectionist?

smallboy

Are you a perfectionist and what is your idea of perfectionism?

For me, I love my paper to be new and crisp, especially my study notes, even the sides can't be bend, otherwise I Can't bring myself to accept the notes and read it!

Also when I do groceries, I never choose the things outside, I must choose the best item out of all and must be somewhere in the middle, so I usually spend double the time to choose! If it is the last item, even if I need it now, I won't buy it.

Edited by smallboy

I am a 24 years old guy, just wanting to know more friends..

Hmmm... sounds like a thin line between perfectionist VS OCD.

I would want my things to be neat and tidy, clean too. My work will be done/presented neatly. But my home desk is perpetually in a mess!

Groceries wise, as long as its ok (visually), I will buy. Same goes for apparel etc..

Guest 100% perfect

I arranged and rearranged my furniture until it is visually appealing, even if I have to take whole day doing it.   When I buy grocery, I will pick one with the furthest expiry date even if I have to mess up the items on the shelves.  When I buy fruits, I must ensure no sign of blemish like black spot, fingernail print, fruit too small, color not deep enough and yes, it took me 10 minutes to choose 5 pieces of "good" apples,  Grapes too, must be at least the sign of my thumb, heavily packed with no drop-out from its stems.

My study notes, at least I insist on using 80gsm white paper for school notes, not 70gsm type.  The punched holes must be exactly matched all other notes so that when I filed them up, they should be well aligned to each other. And yes,  I used reinforcement ring sticker to protect those punched holes too.

Color.  I makes sure that if I were to use purple, other matching color should be blue, violet or red.  If I use yellow,  other matching color should be green, orange or blue.

Smell,  I hate garbage smell, petrol smell or haze smell or Blachang smell.  My room must always have smell of fruits or flora: berry, apple, lily, lavender, jasmine.  As such I invested in aroma diffuser to counter bad smell and have them at least every corner of the room - bath room, kitchen, bedroom, living room.   I want my wall white and will not tolerate any other color even beach color.

I will not take lift with other people,  I cannot stand the breath of others inside an enclosure and yes, I hate furry animals too. They got fleas and sweat smell.

Calender,  I will not accept any form of calender that doesn't please my eyes nor match the surrounding furnishing.  I will comb the town just to buy one.  I hate office planner because I don't like planning, it is a waste of time.  I prefer instant feels when deciding what I want. 

Gift,  I will usually throw them away because nobody knows what I wanted.

People, I hate those who talk boastfully all day long and I hate those who are not focus on the topic.  People who spend more time on smart phone or TV are less intelligent than those who spend their time reading books in library.

People, who wore too much jewelleries from ring to necklace is considered a lot to me.

Shopping,  I hate sales people asking what I want as if I can't make my own decision.  I want more quiet time to focus on buying what I want so as not to mess up being impulsive buyer or regret buying all the wrong things.  I picked pens that are sealed and not used or those that show high volume of ink and wrote smoothly with deep color.   I prefer items that come with boxes or sometime I self-service by shuffling the item to ensure they mix and match to my taste which wasn't originally packed that way.  I want to make sure that I smell the items before buying - even if it is just an eraser, glue or color pencil.

Anything Glass, make sure not chipped, blurred, unslightly tiny bubble, uneven rim or corner. 

Music CDs,  I won't buy any album that only have less than 20% of the songs I like.  I want at least 90% of the song I like before making purchase.

Fresh flowers,  all petals and leaves must be intact.  If one flower out of 20 have impecfection, I will not buy and probably  will do a little "self-service" shuffling from other bouquet....never mind.  You will judge me, I know.  What to do, I am a perfectionist.

Toilet roll,  must be at least 3-ply and cheap.

Toilet detergent.  Prefer one spray and wipe out all dirts, not few squirts here and there.  Am particular about spending money and not getting my toilet spotless.  Showering Soap or facial lotion must be foamy type.

Bus, hate taking bus with students, they are smelly and loud.  I want to enjoy a quiet and less crowded trip home and I don't like to take too many things with me on the bus - one grocery bag is the maximum.

Queing - the faster the better,  service provider should shut up, served and move on.  No chatting, no talking, no enquiring, no requesting and no further selling. Customer should likewise move on because I take time-wasing as a very serious matter.

Smokers,  I avoid these people like leprosy.

Prices.  I always compare prices of similar items and get the cheapest and best deal.

I don't like bulky things, like whale, elephant, trucks and the fat lady next door.

I know you will hate me for all of the above.  I hate..haters too.

More OCD than I would call myself a perfectionist. I have to say I like to be the best and over do stuff to get at to a higher level. But when I fail.... it might sting a little but give me a fea days later and I will talk myself down and not let it effect me so much that I hate myself or be negative about and even happy for those who does better then me. I hate jealousy as an end effect. That is too negative and destructive not just towards others but more about damaging your own self. 

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

On 18/07/2017 at 6:44 PM, smallboy said:

For me, I love my paper to be new and crisp, especially my study notes, even the sides can't be bend, otherwise I Can't bring myself to accept the notes and read it!

Haha. I used to be like that when I was a student with my study notes. Nowadays, I cannot be bothered already. Time to look at the bigger picture. :-)

I consider myself as a (recovering) perfectionist. As a perfectionist, I impose unrealistic demands on myself (and sometimes others) - to attain perfection. It's not only about achieving high standards, but the work that I do has to be 'flawless'.

7 hours ago, upshot said:

More OCD than I would call myself a perfectionist. I have to say I like to be the best and over do stuff to get at to a higher level. But when I fail.... it might sting a little but give me a fea days later and I will talk myself down and not let it effect me so much that I hate myself or be negative about and even happy for those who does better then me. I hate jealousy as an end effect. That is too negative and destructive not just towards others but more about damaging your own self. 

There's nothing to be proud about being perfectionist. Rather, as mentioned by @upshot, perfectionism is quite damaging to one's psyche. My personal struggle with perfectionism is that I often get too overwhelmed in trying to achieve perfection in my work that I would often avoid the task completely by procrastinating. Having procrastinated my time away, I'm given little time to finish my work resulting in slipshod outcomes. The poor quality of the end result often creates even more negativity which feeds the perfectionist. It's a vicious cycle.

As part of my 'recovery', I try do things in small manageable chunks and be mentally aware when the perfectionist is imposing its unrealistic expectations. 

Edited by Geekout

Guest Guest

Also when I do groceries, I never choose the things outside, I must choose the best item out of all and must be somewhere in the middle, so I usually spend double the time to choose! If it is the last item, even if I need it now, I won't buy it.

Learn to string a sentence..

thought most uncle aunties behave this way? 

Edited by snowball

My colleagues at work deem me too much of a perfectionist. My slides must looks nice with subtle animations and just the right amount of information so I don't look like I'm reading off it. 

The visuals my team propose needs meaning and believable rationales. Anything less and I'll make them rework it. If a longer timeline is needed I'll tell my clients I need more time. I'm a psycho that way. But concepts are sold more quickly and work gets done too.

I check the kerning and leading on all my collateral and I can't stand anything that's inconsistent. I'm no designer, but I like to see everything in place, neat and tidy. Unless there's a necessity for freestyle text. I even get my designers to check the font type they use if I spot deviations. They're amazed at how I can pick out these nuances because to them no normal consumer can tell and they want me to chill. 

But I simply can't. These things just stick out like a sore thumb. So am I perfectionist or OCD? 

Guest concern

are you describing perfectionist in terms of personality or mundane things that occured in humanity.personality wise, i don't think so is because if a gay is a perfectionist,he will follow the nature of getting a virgina instead of an asshole.

• Guest locked this topic