Male HQ

Terminated without notice for taking 16 MC in 3 months

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

1) TS' friend is a lair. He willfully deceived the doctor and the employer every time he took MC without actually being sick enough to warrant one.

2) The company owner could be a small-time entrepreneur with a family to feed too. It is very simple-minded of you to picture it as a situation where its a very wealthy businessman vs a destitute on the streets.

Small time businessman so what? It is still a company ranking in money? It is very arrogrant to sack someone with a valid MC(unless its fake) and demand $1000! This payment is so uncalled for! Who want to fall sick? I believe TS friend is a true blue singaporean so its very unlikely TS friend will lie. Also by sacking, the company is disregarding the doctor profession! The company instead of helping TS friend get better sack him causing him more stress!

Ts pls tell us the name of the company so that we can boycott its services!

A strange com.

If u plan to sack ts, should not pay him the 3rd mth in full. Just pay him the difference n sayonara.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Workerbee
7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Rubbish. The company has a responsibility to people they hire. Are you calling TS's friend a lair? Why are iou taking side with a for profit company instead of the man in the streets?

You are either deluded, completely niaive or just plain stupid, why would any company want to be responsible for a fake ass leech who has never proven himself and is there to drain its resources. Companies are there to make money, they are not charities or parents feeding lazy entitled bums. 

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Workerbee said:

You are either deluded, completely niaive or just plain stupid, why would any company want to be responsible for a fake ass leech who has never proven himself and is there to drain its resources. Companies are there to make money, they are not charities or parents feeding lazy entitled bums. 

You must be the entitled elites thats why you talk this way. Companies have a social responsibility to society. 

Or you are part of the establishment and wear white!

Guest guest
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Small time businessman so what? It is still a company ranking in money? It is very arrogrant to sack someone with a valid MC(unless its fake) and demand $1000! This payment is so uncalled for! Who want to fall sick? I believe TS friend is a true blue singaporean so its very unlikely TS friend will lie. Also by sacking, the company is disregarding the doctor profession! The company instead of helping TS friend get better sack him causing him more stress!

Why don't you go start a company if you think all business owners just rake in the money that easily? All businesses run the risk of incurring massive losses. And this hits especially hard if its a small business because the owner's entire livelihood depends on it. So yeah the owner might actually be poorer than TS' poor malingering friend.

Btw, why don't you tell us where you work so I can come work for you? I would love to take 1-2 days MC per week and enjoy my extra free time while still having you fight for me. Sounds like a dream job.

30 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Why don't you go start a company if you think all business owners just rake in the money that easily? All businesses run the risk of incurring massive losses. And this hits especially hard if its a small business because the owner's entire livelihood depends on it. So yeah the owner might actually be poorer than TS' poor malingering friend.

Btw, why don't you tell us where you work so I can come work for you? I would love to take 1-2 days MC per week and enjoy my extra free time while still having you fight for me. Sounds like a dream job.

Where's the like button? 

Guest Correction
4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I have to correct you on this. 

Even if the MC is valid, it does not mean the staff can take as many days as he likes. 

Even if the company is making money, it does not also mean it cannot terminate staff and demand compensation. 

And even if TS friend is a true blue Singaporean, it does not mean he won't lie.

If TS friend think he is unjustified terminated, there are many avenues he can seek for assistance.

14 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Rubbish. The company has a responsibility to people they hire. Are you calling TS's friend a lair? Why are iou taking side with a for profit company instead of the man in the streets?

Seriously you call this rubbish??? No one owes this sorry ass a living, not even the govt to whom he pays taxes. If he can't contribute to the company, it's time for him to go.

I would think the company is being VERY responsible by getting rid of this mc king so that the remaining staff wouldn't have to take on his duties in addition to their own. 

To think he had actually deprived a more deserving candidate of this job opportunity.

3 hours ago, gc0805 said:

Seriously you call this rubbish??? No one owes this sorry ass a living, not even the govt to whom he pays taxes. If he can't contribute to the company, it's time for him to go.

I would think the company is being VERY responsible by getting rid of this mc king so that the remaining staff wouldn't have to take on his duties in addition to their own. 

To think he had actually deprived a more deserving candidate of this job opportunity.

Very well said

19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Why do we still have people with ur type of thinking around ah??

He took 16 MC within 3 months - our regulations here is 14 days per year. He is obviously unfit to work.

Also, your sentence ".... tell us the name of the company so that WE can boycott its services" - please don't use we. You certainly do not represent the majority of us. On the other hand, you are one of those weird outliers with an incredible sense of entitlement and who always play the victim card.

WAKE UP - the world does not own us a living.

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, HotIce said:

Why do we still have people with ur type of thinking around ah??

He took 16 MC within 3 months - our regulations here is 14 days per year. He is obviously unfit to work.

Also, your sentence ".... tell us the name of the company so that WE can boycott its services" - please don't use we. You certainly do not represent the majority of us. On the other hand, you are one of those weird outliers with an incredible sense of entitlement and who always play the victim card.

WAKE UP - the world does not own us a living.

So you saying those who are not so healthy should not work to support themselves? Are you Singaporean?

3 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

So you saying those who are not so healthy should not work to support themselves? Are you Singaporean?

Given that most mnc only pay up to 28 days of outpatient mc, 16 days within 3 mths is way too much.

Perhaps ts should consider working part time n rest more given his health condition.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Probably under contract and under probation, as long your friend sign contract , he can be terminated just for any number of excuses.

Anyway crux of the issue is the paying the $1000, unless your friend never damage company property with intent  or steal from the company(both are which criminal offense)

he can choose not to pay and ignore the company.

Most to most  the company can only claims against your friend via small claims tribunals and even that is  not set in stone since if your friend is garang enough to stubbornly not pay.Unlike banks/creditors which is covered under the law to bankrupt you. This pay back the company practice is frown upon by MOM and is not legally binding.

It is mostly a scare tactic and not even considered a civil case.Ask your friend to play it cool and when conversing with the employer to start conversation saying I am recording this conversation. exclude any expletives ,play it cool.

Taking MC might be a very bad practice but as long your friend took the mc because he was really sick, then his conscience should be clear.I too have a bad luck of contracting chicken pox with shingles when i started working a few years ago, got three weeks MC straight. Sometime some circumstances cannot be avoided.

My employer did not terminate me but they did extend my probation .

But note this will confirm burn any bridge your friend might have with the employer in question

Edited by SazNura

Guest Guest
On 05/08/2017 at 2:59 PM, Guest Guest said:

I pity your friend that he was working for such company. Where is the compassion and empathy? The company has no feelings and think humans are robots? This is the state of singapore where compassion is thrown out of the window. Please tell us what company is this so that I will not render my service and boycott!

Your company 1 year MC quota is how many days?

Guest Guest

It's National Day today and I am back in the empty office to do work, even at 9pm right now. I hate this place due to all the office politics and yet I feel obligated to try getting on top of my work, one way or another. Over the course of more than 5 years here, the number of MCs I took number less than what TS's took in 3 months. The world of difference here is so starkingly ironical. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest I think
5 hours ago, astroboi24 said:

Hi guys asking on behalf of my friend isit true that a foreign work from myanmar working under healthcare assistant can only work here in singapore for 10 years only

What passes is your friend holding?  Not that I know there is a timeframe unless he is bonded or under special contract term.  Most Healthcare is still well sought after.  If your friend cannot work in one place, he can choose to work in another healthcare company.

1 hour ago, Guest I think said:

What passes is your friend holding?  Not that I know there is a timeframe unless he is bonded or under special contract term.  Most Healthcare is still well sought after.  If your friend cannot work in one place, he can choose to work in another healthcare company.

He is holding a work permit

Guest I think
1 hour ago, astroboi24 said:

He is holding a work permit

Work permit is subjected to renewal every couple of years as long as you are still working.  Once you are out of job, not sure whether you can hold the WP for how long.  As for 10 years to work as HA,  I think it was under a different contract between employee and employer,  nothing to do with MOM law.

34 minutes ago, Guest I think said:

Work permit is subjected to renewal every couple of years as long as you are still working.  Once you are out of job, not sure whether you can hold the WP for how long.  As for 10 years to work as HA,  I think it was under a different contract between employee and employer,  nothing to do with MOM law.

I went thru the mom sector but in the service sector i dun see any max years in other sector i saw that myanmar holding a wp can only work for 10 year in sg

Guest I think
37 minutes ago, astroboi24 said:

I went thru the mom sector but in the service sector i dun see any max years in other sector i saw that myanmar holding a wp can only work for 10 year in sg

Sometime, the devil is in the detail.  MOM handbook can be very confusing and most of the time things were dealt with on case-by-case circumstance.  Even local HR professional can cast doubt on MOM's regulations.     If in doubt, always call them up to check instead of making guess.

14 minutes ago, Guest I think said:

Sometime, the devil is in the detail.  MOM handbook can be very confusing and most of the time things were dealt with on case-by-case circumstance.  Even local HR professional can cast doubt on MOM's regulations.     If in doubt, always call them up to check instead of making guess.

thanks we will see how things goes ba 

Guest HR Person
10 hours ago, astroboi24 said:

Hi guys asking on behalf of my friend isit true that a foreign work from myanmar working under healthcare assistant can only work here in singapore for 10 years only

Yes, it is true. Basic-skilled Myanmese Work Permit workers are only given max 10 years to work in Singapore. I had to send off one such worker away because MOM refused to renew the person's work permit.

Basic-skilled workers in the Service Sector can get upgraded to Higher-Skilled workers and be allowed to stay for 18 years. Info here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-worker/sector-specific-rules/services-sector-requirements. Look under "Qualifying for higher skilled worker levy" to see the requirements to become a Higher-Skilled Worker.

FYI for your friend.

20 minutes ago, Guest HR Person said:

Yes, it is true. Basic-skilled Myanmese Work Permit workers are only given max 10 years to work in Singapore. I had to send off one such worker away because MOM refused to renew the person's work permit.

That is a great Manpower loopholes in Singapore.  A mayanmese, spending 10 years and became localised with learned skills, suddently asked to go home and in his place we bring in someone who is new to Singapore, unable to adapt to local lifestyle,  and has to pick up from scratch.  Sad isn't it? 

Guest I think
31 minutes ago, astroboi24 said:

thanks we will see how things goes ba 

Try to help your friend.  See if he could leave Singapore briefly and than re-enter with a fresh work permit to restart the cycle but you need to help him find job before he can enter.   I would rather all india indian leave Singapore and keep only the good nationalities like the maynamese, thai.

Guest HR Person
2 minutes ago, Guest I think said:

Try to help your friend.  See if he could leave Singapore briefly and than re-enter with a fresh work permit to restart the cycle but you need to help him find job before he can enter.   I would rather all india indian leave Singapore and keep only the good nationalities like the maynamese, thai.

Nope, doesn't work that way. MOM keeps track of the individual's work history in SG. They cannot stay in SG for more than 10/18 years in total, no matter how many employers they have worked with before. Even as employers, we can see a foreign worker's work history in SG by doing a search in Work Permit Online. 

Guest I think
10 minutes ago, Guest HR Person said:

Nope, doesn't work that way. MOM keeps track of the individual's work history in SG. They cannot stay in SG for more than 10/18 years in total, no matter how many employers they have worked with before. Even as employers, we can see a foreign worker's work history in SG by doing a search in Work Permit Online. 

What about him applying for S passes once he re-enter Singapore?  I am a Singaporean, I respect Good foreigners who have been part of Singapore for so long rather than using us as stepping stone like other PRC/Indian nationalities.

1 hour ago, Guest HR Person said:

Basic-skilled workers in the Service Sector can get upgraded to Higher-Skilled workers and be allowed to stay for 18 years. Info here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-worker/sector-specific-rules/services-sector-requirements. Look under "Qualifying for higher skilled worker levy" to see the requirements to become a Higher-Skilled Worker.

FYI for your friend.

But why is nt stated under the service sector in the first place i only saw the construction sector say so that they can only work for 10 year maximum is nt really fair that way. U mean he can be automatically upgraded to higher skill worker 

Edited by astroboi24

my condolences to ur myanmese friend.

many thai workers in singapore have not had their permits renewed either. they are highly skilled workers who had helped build our very sturdy older hdb flats in the past. they have now been replaced by poorly skilled and inexperienced indian, bangladeshi and chinese workers, who are building new flats plagued by myriads of problems even before their occupants move in.

suffice to say that MOM's ways are more mysterious than God's.

7 minutes ago, Guest Workerbee said:

Probably only want them to work here in their young and prime years, once they get older throw them back like used tissue paper.

Probably,  but if their employer still treausred their service, they should step in to help them achieve higher skill (like allow them to attend short courses to be certified to next skill)  to prolong their stay for another 8 to 10 years. Better still, convert them to S passes without any time frame limit.  Most work permit workers do not have much benefits to remain in Singapore and often this category of workers were being exploited by bad bosses.

if your friend is really sick and needs to take mc so often, i suggest he takes on a part-time job working 3 days a week so that he doesn't succumb to work and physical stress thus damaging his health further.  no employer can accept a staff who takes mc every week - i personally wouldn't too.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

either your friend is super creative with his excuses or HR is also sleeping.

those new hires under probational 3 months, usually will get advisory or flagged when excessive leave.

so your friend too happy take so many MC, and HR never even talk to him about it.

shows HR is also blur and slack, now my guess is that the management is also barking down their neck.

"you better terminate him ASAP. and he is probational right, let him know we will not cover his MC.

all pay back NOW! if not you also kena sack!"

i know of bosses who are like these, hehe. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

21 hours ago, Guest I think said:

What about him applying for S passes once he re-enter Singapore?  I am a Singaporean, I respect Good foreigners who have been part of Singapore for so long rather than using us as stepping stone like other PRC/Indian nationalities.

Any other way to help him to come back n work

Guest I think
2 hours ago, astroboi24 said:

Any other way to help him to come back n work

If you are Singaporeans, you will have to think of a way to help him by finding out what you can do.  May be, take up some courses conducted by MOM to understand more of the employment act.   Worse case scenario is to see him off at the airport,  hug him and cry but assure him to wait for your good news that you will try your best regardless how long it take, and than wish him the very best living in his home country.    

Alternatively, he may want to consider working in his homeland and see whether his company willing to transfer him to Singapore as an expat and apply for EP.

Well, a couple things to keep in mind:

-The company is paying this guy to work, he owes them his best effort. If he doesn't like the job, then quit (or in this case he got himself fired)

-The company doesn't owe any employee retraining, sympathy or "cutting him some slack", all they owe is the job, the salary + benefits and the truthfulness of the job description.

-For the guys here who take the Obama approach "you didn't build this" wake up...if people didn't invest and start companies, people would not have jobs and thus, would be living on the street.  These business owners DID build it. 

-This generation is soft (just like here in the USA)....wake up.  You want a good income and want to have a job that you can work the way YOU want..start your own business.  Look at the food hawkers in SG...most, these are their own businesses. They do what they want to do, they are their own bosses. Do they make big $, nope, but I bet they are satisfied cause they know they can do it on their own. 

-Sometimes...a hire just doesn't work out. I have fired people for consistent lateness, being on "sick leave" multiple days in a very short time period (without a proper doctor's explanation), surliness, not doing their job after being taught how to do it and given their job description.

The "friend" (I sincerely doubt it was a friend that posted the first post in this thread)...I would have gotten rid of him pronto. Lots of other people that would appreciate a job.  IN my SG business...we make it clear what we expect, the level of quality of work, work time, etc. 

The "affected" employee asked for it..that "ME" and "I am unfairly treated/dismissed" attitude needs immediate rectification.    Taking excessive medical leave and perhaps, even late for work, late for completion of tasks are definitely the surest way to get booted out of the company at the first instance!

As employee, we are merely bartering our time for the measly wages.  Likewise, as employer, they hire us because work and results are expected from us.

The friend of TS has hugely abused the benefits and it is definitely a wake-up call for all of us, the employees.  It is shaped up or shipped out - Remember no one owes us a living.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:44 PM, astroboi24 said:

How old is your friend?

My 2¢: There is a social contract that is sealed when an employee works for an employer, which usually goes beyond the confines of the legal employment contract. If one party chooses only to draw-down on the contract, without ever topping-up, then the other party would tend to take action of receive restitution.

In this case, when an employer engages an employee, it is based on the assumption that the employee pulls his own wait and is at work for the 260 working days, minus paid leave and a certain amount of medical leave (usually worded in the contract) - about 230 days. The remuneration is based on this, and the value (profit generation) that the employee would bring to the company with that output. If, however, calls in sick every week, the economics change significantly. Chances are, the fixed cost of maintainining that employee (insurance, rent of office space, utilities, etc.) are still the same, but the value drops correspondingly. Hence, the employer may then look at whether there is a way to address this, and get back to an equitable position - note that the employer is not a charity, and does not owe the employee anything if the employee is not even pulling his own weight.

While some actions about the suddenness of the dismissal, and the claw-back may leave a bitter taste in the employees mouth. However, looking at the viewpoint of the working world, it is totally justified. Note that depending on contractual details, it is some times stated that any medical leave beyond the contractual rate of 14 days a year is liable for it as no-pay-leave. As such, salary gets deducted.

Слава Україні!

• Guest locked this topic