Male HQ

Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)

Heya guys,

Am single, 36 years of age and have recently applied for a 2-room HDB BTO in Yishun. Fortunately enough, I managed to get an appointment to select my apartment this coming September. Pretty excited and thrilled at the thought of getting my own place. Just would like to get some opinions perhaps. Is there anyone here who is already living in a new 2-Room apartment? How is it like? Is it cramped or just nice? What kinda design layout did you settle for to maximise space? With such a small space, I believe I will spending a lot on interior design and renovations to make it a place I can truly call home.

Currently am living with my parents in a 4-bedroom house and there's only the three of us at home. Living on my own, I'm sure it could be pretty daunting but it's high time I get started huh? I would certainly miss the tonnes of space I am used to now, but at least I will get my own freedom, no matter how small my new apartment will be. I guess I will make a trip down to HDB Hub soon to take a look at their showroom for the 2-Room apartment.

Advice from a couple of my friends have been ringing in my ears recently, telling me not to buy the 2-Room but instead to purchase a bigger resale apartment. A sort of way to think about my future (possibility of renting out rooms to earn extra income / when I get a boyfriend / when I decide to adopt / etc). I get where they are coming from. But I also feel like this 2-Room apartment will sort of be my retirement home. A cosy space to spend the remaining years of my life. Being gay, I kinda see myself living on my own in the future and hence not finding the need to share my space with a significant other. I know, I know, that might change but highly unlikely I guess.

25 minutes ago, vodka_supernova said:

Heya guys,

Am single, 36 years of age and have recently applied for a 2-room HDB BTO in Yishun. Fortunately enough, I managed to get an appointment to select my apartment this coming September. Pretty excited and thrilled at the thought of getting my own place. Just would like to get some opinions perhaps. Is there anyone here who is already living in a new 2-Room apartment? How is it like? Is it cramped or just nice? What kinda design layout did you settle for to maximise space? With such a small space, I believe I will spending a lot on interior design and renovations to make it a place I can truly call home.

Currently am living with my parents in a 4-bedroom house and there's only the three of us at home. Living on my own, I'm sure it could be pretty daunting but it's high time I get started huh? I would certainly miss the tonnes of space I am used to now, but at least I will get my own freedom, no matter how small my new apartment will be. I guess I will make a trip down to HDB Hub soon to take a look at their showroom for the 2-Room apartment.

Advice from a couple of my friends have been ringing in my ears recently, telling me not to buy the 2-Room but instead to purchase a bigger resale apartment. A sort of way to think about my future (possibility of renting out rooms to earn extra income / when I get a boyfriend / when I decide to adopt / etc). I get where they are coming from. But I also feel like this 2-Room apartment will sort of be my retirement home. A cosy space to spend the remaining years of my life. Being gay, I kinda see myself living on my own in the future and hence not finding the need to share my space with a significant other. I know, I know, that might change but highly unlikely I guess.

Your friends are right. You  can't rent your 2 room flat. When you own a 3 room flat then you can have an extra room to rent out. The passive income from the rental would help pay for your utilities.

The other advantage of having a house mate is to that should something happens to you, someone will be there should you need help, assuming that you are single at that time.

I personally feel that its also better to get a bigger flat. Until you are old in your 50s or 60s then use your 2nd chance to get a 2room apartment, provided if you are still single then.

Edited by GachiMuchi

Since you are still young and able, if I were you, I'd get at least a 3 or 4 room, as what your friends adviced. Once you hit your later years it may be harder, you may face sudden unemployment and there'll be options to rent rooms, Worse case scenario you may be able to downgrade to a 2 room then and still have some money left from the sale of your 3 or 4 room.

Guest My 2cts

You make the right choice,  2-room is affordable and will not drain your CPF completely.  I hope you get all the grants that you needed.  Small also does not mean no space, you just need to plan.  The less clutter the better and always start small from the functional and practical thing before you consider adding on more things later.  My philosophy is that adding is easier than substracting later on.

The basic you will need"

Kitchen

Fridge

Stove

Cabinet (built-in) as you need to store all the utensils, food items and cans/instant noodles

I used hand to watch normal laundry (bigger item I use my parents washing machine to wash thus save space in getting a washer)

Bedroom

Bed (super single should be comfortable)  Queensize or kingsize will take up lots space which you could otherwise add writing desk or wardrobe

Wardrobe (no need too big, just enough for normal wears to work and outing)

Writing desk (optional, I used my dinning table for multi-purpose thus this table you can skip in your bedroom)

Living Room

Dinning table - with two (or four) neat chairs (you can find them in ikea).  You will spend most of the time here eating, writing, sorting mails and surfing your computer thus important you consider where and how you want it to look.

Sofa - small one for watching TV or you can skip by sitting on a floor with good mat (Japanese style)

TV/consol

WINDOW

if your privacy is not intruded,  skip all curtains.  Lights is space.

Other important investment that will change your living space forever

Electrical wiring,  carefully select the plug-points for your lightings.preferebly at least  4 in each rooms.  Best localation is a feet or two above the ground to avoild unsightly

wire within eye-level and you can high the switch-point with other ornaments like plant pot, sofa or side coffee table..

With the extra space, add standing lamps, table lamps from room-to-room to give you that hotelier cosiness.

Ceiling fans is better than standing fan which took up space.

Avoid normal flourscent tube lighting (they are dated and hideous). 

Bookshelves, shelves for ornamant objects, wall pictures can look quite clutterd for a small space.

COLOR SCHEME 

All white (from wall painting to furnitures)

NOTE

This should be the most exciting time for you.  With the HDB layout plan before you, start visualise where you want what at which places.  Than google some  decor ideas of a small home.  Decide whether you want guests (mostly your parents or siblings)  and add additional chairs (which can be stored away in store room)  or sitting area

Trust me, your home will look bigger than any other home with BASICS and cosy  with plenty of warm lights.    I hope your neighbour is a gay person too. 

Disclaimer

The above idea was simply my own idea according to my personality and in no offense to TS who are probably has more colorful  lifesytle.   

Thanks for your input GM and HDBer. If I do decide to get the 2-Room apartment, I can use my CPF to completely pay it off and thus, not requiring any loans at all. So, in a way, I can instantly get a house that totally belongs to me with no strings attached (albeit it will be 4 years away, and for a lease of 99 years). But if I go for a resale, then the loan will have to come into play. So, my thinking is, once I have secured this 2-Room apartment, then maybe a couple of years down the road, I can take up a HDB loan and use that for my second property (resale). That's my train of thought currently.

Your friends are right. You  can't rent your 2 room flat. When you own a 3 room flat then you can have an extra room to rent out. The passive income from the rental would help pay for your utilities.

The other advantage of having a house mate is to that should something happens to you, someone will be there should you need help, assuming that you are single at that time.

I personally feel that its also better to get a bigger flat. Until you are old in your 50s or 60s then use your 2nd chance to get a 2room apartment, provided if you are still single then.

Edited 33 minutes ago by GachiMuchi

Edited by vodka_supernova

Guest My 2cts
33 minutes ago, GachiMuchi said:

Until you are old in your 50s or 60s then use your 2nd chance to get a 2room apartment, provided if you are still single then.

You are refering to shorter lease of 2-room flats for the elderly?  I think HDB will require you to find another person as joint tenant and you can't get a 2-room apt singly?

5 minutes ago, Guest My 2cts said:

You make the right choice,  2-room is affordable and will not drain your CPF completely.  I hope you get all the grants that you needed.  Small also does not mean no space, you just need to plan.  The less clutter the better and always start small from the functional and practical thing before you consider adding on more things later.  My philosophy is that adding is easier than substracting later on.

Thanks for the in-depth advice, My 2cts! Will surely take note of the points you mentioned, in the case that I decide to go along with getting the 2-Room apartment. :)

Guest My 2cts
4 minutes ago, vodka_supernova said:

Thanks for the in-depth advice, My 2cts! Will surely take note of the points you mentioned, in the case that I decide to go along with getting the 2-Room apartment. :)

Those who advised you to consider bigger room flat have stated the pro.  Don't forget, these people bought their flat more than decades ago and nearly equivalent or cheaper than the 2-room flat you are applying.  On paper, they have profitted.  

BUT

In this days and age,  the price of 3-room is way beyond many single people reach, not to mention the hefty interest of taking lengthy  loan and HDB can repossess them if you fall short of 4 installments overdue.   You must consider the possible nighmare of not being able to pay up if you run out of job and rendered you sleeping in the park or someone's else place.  With the current property price of resale flat,  the late comer paper profit is nearly zero or negative depending on the remaining lease left of the HDB.

23 minutes ago, vodka_supernova said:

Whatever don't forget to invite us for the housewarming.for a change make it a nude housewarming invitation.lol

Just kidding.all the best to u.hope everything goes well with the process of buying the flat. Advanced congrates.

Hi, u mentioned u r 36yrs old...when u go n apply for the bto flat? How long it take to know the result of the application? Wat requirements needed to apply for it? I also thinking of applying...I m 37 yrs old..

Guest 2 rm owner

i am living in a 2 rm flat, with a slight regret that i never knock down the bedroom to living room wall

i assume u are the 45-49 sqm type, if u are going to live alone best is to knock down the wall

putting a queen size bed will leave u with no space for wardrobe.

not to say a study table in the bed room. no space at all.

u will need to combine your study table or work desk and dining table as one (to save space)

for tv console i suggest u do it simple,  sofa is another small regret for me, if i can re-do i will choose to have a massage chair, just 1 will do since i live alone.

i will also opt do a smart home type with e.g. google home and all items remote controllable

kitchen is simple, since we are guys, seldom cook, just get an induction cooker, a microwave, airpot or coffee machine and washing machine with dryer

u can consider to do up the bomb shelter as your wardrobe (to save space too) which i did not, end up i wasted a lot of precious space

;)

Just now, Guest Guest said:

Hi, u mentioned u r 36yrs old...when u go n apply for the bto flat? How long it take to know the result of the application? Wat requirements needed to apply for it? I also thinking of applying...I m 37 yrs old..

as long as u are single u can go for resale or bto

result of yr ballot base on luck

average time for the flat ready is 3 years

i apply in 2014 this mth i move in finally

7 hours ago, Magenta_Lilies said:

Heya guys,

I also apply BTO 2 room HDB around 2 years back, still waiting for my keys to start my own home.  Same as you my friends advise me to buy resale flat but i prefer new home with new unit number that my wish. i choose much bigger size for 2 room of 47 sq ft compare to another smaller size ya... now have 2 choices for big and small 2 room BTO flat.

Reading through the opinions here, and some of them are really useful! 

Mum's egging me to get my own place even though I've yet to be financially stable and only 24 this year. Would love to read everyone's thoughts on this!

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

35 minutes ago, Rhyn said:

Mum's egging me to get my own place even though I've yet to be financially stable and only 24 this year. Would love to read everyone's thoughts on this!

She is hinting u to get married la.lol

3 hours ago, Rhyn said:

I am surprised she is getting tired of you so fast.  She does know the min age of getting a house is 35yo right?

3 hours ago, Rhyn said:

Either she wants to rent out your room for extra income or you are not contributing enough to the household.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

15 hours ago, Guest 2 rm owner said:

i am living in a 2 rm flat, with a slight regret that i never knock down the bedroom to living room wall

i assume u are the 45-49 sqm type, if u are going to live alone best is to knock down the wall

;)

Awesome! Thanks for the ideas! Definitely lots to think about and plan when it comes to renovating and designing such a small space. 

6 hours ago, cutejack said:

She is hinting u to get married la.lol

She knows I'm gay so I don't think so (; 

4 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Either she wants to rent out your room for extra income or you are not contributing enough to the household.  

I'm currently studying overseas and we live in a 5 room flat. I told her to rent out my room and the other room so she does not have to be stressed out by finances (: 

Also, we don't follow the conventional..."wisdom" of contribution lol.

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

basically.. i live in yishun 600+ area.. the new bto batch is a mixture of 3 room flats & 2 room units. The bto flat is already tailored out for you. be it where u gonna place ur stove, sink, the kitchen cabinet, your wardrobe, the bathroom is connected to ur bed room & kitchen area. ur bedroom, the gov already tells u where u can place ur bed, ur wardrobe, ur tv, ur tv console.. etc. u just have to measure everything out, buy it accordingly. u need to even paint ur interior. ur switches are al settled for u. you've fibre optics running thru ur apt. where are ur lights, ceiling fan.. the no. of aircon u gonna have it's all tailored out for you.

your apt is most likely to be walking distance to ktph, yishun safra & khatib area only. 

I like to suggest to you on not doing hacking at all. and ur unit will be near the lift lobby area facing the main road with sunlight coming into your house at all angles. the only thing u will do is to cover ur windows as yr privacy will be the most impt thing. from the lift lobby, i can look thoroughly into one of the 2 room flat unit & see everything clearly.

And to the TS, if you can, one shot, you can pay up for ur 2 room flat unit, then by all means go ahead. like mine, I fully paid up my 3 room hdb unit. and i gotten the best view, i can see the roof top garden which is on top of most multi storey carpark nowadays. there will be a work out area located at the foot of ur block. 10mins walk away, you have 24hrs ntuc fairprice supermarket & sheng shiong at khatib central. 24hrs mac at safra. and if ur hdb building is the green color blocks, you will have eateries, wet market, retail shops allocated within ur blk including a police station & community centre together. 

23 minutes ago, Zackling said:

And to the TS, if you can, one shot, you can pay up for ur 2 room flat unit, then by all means go ahead. like mine, I fully paid up my 3 room hdb unit. and i gotten the best view, i can see the roof top garden which is on top of most multi storey carpark nowadays. there will be a work out area located at the foot of ur block. 10mins walk away, you have 24hrs ntuc fairprice supermarket & sheng shiong at khatib central. 24hrs mac at safra. and if ur hdb building is the green color blocks, you will have eateries, wet market, retail shops allocated within ur blk including a police station & community centre together. 

Alamak. Sound more like studio apartment for elderly.lol

On 8/10/2017 at 6:14 PM, Magenta_Lilies said:

Heya guys,

Yay, welcome to the club! I'm the re-sale sub-club, though. xD

I just bought my 2rm resale flat in AMK last year July. Finished reno in Nov, now staying in my very own Ivory Tower! -dance-

Initially thought of buying 2rm BTO also. At a max of $100k after subsidies, I can pay off the whole sum in full using my CPF + some cash also. Instant house-owner without the stress of a loan! But then I wanted to move out of my parents house ASAP, and balloting + waiting for BTO to finish is gonna take at LEAST 3 years, when I'll be at least 38 liao.

Which is why I turned to re-sale instead. At my the moment I turn 35, I applied for the HLE, then started short-listing areas for my future 2rm flat. I was lucky to get one quite fast, and was the highest level also for that block (12), which was part of my consideration also.  Being a re-sale, I took up a HDB loan, but didn't need much cash up-front, so I could spend immediately on reno + furniture + appliances.

Knocked down the wall between my living rm and bedrm, re-do the wiring, flooring. Customized a wall-length ward-robe, new wall painting. Kitchen only did the cabinet + electric hob. Didn't reno my toilet, which I now regret. Used to pooping squatting down (old-school), but the re-sale flat had a bowl. Shoulda done up a squatting toilet instead.

No curtains, but used blinds (lazy to wash).

Bought my bed-frame and sofa at IKEA. I know, I know, but they cheap ma. My TV console I bought at Courts. TV also. Mattress I bought Sea-Horse brand, coz 20+ years used to sleeping on hard-as-wooden-board beds. xD Got a dining table, but that one more used for a study table by my SO. We usually just dine in front of the TV on a portable small table.

Ah, anyway!

If you intend to buy a BTO, you should re-do your flooring and toilet, probably. If you want to cook, you can invest more in your kitchen also. However, I think your wall colour is the single most prominent thing you will see whenever you go home. It should scream "WELCOME HOME!" instead of "OMG!" You should feel happy and at east whenever you return home. For me I used two shades of blue. Coz I like blue. :D My ceiling also the lighter blue.

Furniture and electronics, up to your preference. If too ex, settle for cheaper alternatives. If don't want to settle, save up and buy later. In the meantime, USE the CHEAPER alternative! Bed important! Every night must rest comfortably. That goes for bed sheets and blanket/quilt/pillows too. Must see liao then make you got desire to jump into bed one. :D

That's all I have for now. In the meantime, save up for your future renovations, so that you can create your own Ivory Tower also!

Cheers! :D

Guest Am I the only one?

Not sure about the rest of you.  When I was young, I always dreamt of having a roof of my own and find a bf to make it complete.  Once I got a roof of my own,  the thought of having a bf seems less important because the house has became a bf, where you make permanent committment with.  It is a place of warmth, to seek solace,  at your disposal, a palace and a security ground for you physically and emotionally.   You may not even want a bf to stay there to take up those much needed quiet space.    Are we sharing the same thinking?

On 8/10/2017 at 6:14 PM, Magenta_Lilies said:

Heya guys,

I think if you are planning to sell your apartment, or make profit from it by renting, you should buy from the resale market.

But if your intention is to have a home where you'll live in for life, then a BTO 2-room flat is fine as long as you can get used to the space.

One tip which you might already know is, if you do go to Ikea to get inspiration for your small home, do note that the lack of ceiling in the display areas gives people a false sense of space. If you step into the "studio apartment design area", take a piece of paper and cover it above your eyebrows so that you get a sense of how big it is, with that false ceiling you're creating.

So many steps to getting one's own place, but it's very enjoyable.

I'm not a housing agent but I've been through this myself. My sister also involved me when she got her own place, so if you need more pointed advice / views / tips offline, feel free to get in touch :)

And congrats! heh

3 hours ago, Blogger Adam said:

I think if you are planning to sell your apartment, or make profit from it by renting, you should buy from the resale market.

Thanks for the awesome tips, Blogger Adam! Ikea will definitely be one of my go-to places for furnishing. And will take the ceiling thingie into serious consideration.

Will definitely be getting in touch with you if I do have further need for tips/design ideas! :)

And thank you all for the 2-cents you have provided! Certainly does help in guiding my decision and provided me with great tips for my new home. :)

Guest Mirror Mirror on the Wall
4 hours ago, Blogger Adam said:

I e.

One tip which you might already know is, if you do go to Ikea to get inspiration for your small home, do note that the lack of ceiling in the display areas gives people a false sense of space. If you step into the "studio apartment design area", take a piece of paper and cover it above your eyebrows so that you get a sense of how big it is, with that false ceiling you're creating.

Same apply to those wall mirrors in the show flat.

I am also toying with the idea of getting a new 2-rm BTO as me & my mom are intending to downgrade from our current 5rm, and have started applying this year. Still have yet to get balloted....but my mom got a queue liao. Our intention is to stay near each other, or even within the same block so that essentially I get my own privacy but still not too far away from my mom to check on each other.

I think also many of my friends have been advising on getting resale + renting out rooms (or sell in future) as a better monetary option.

I think some have pointed out the pros & cons, but important thing is you must and be willing to rent out the spare room.

One big issue I or you have to contend with is the rentee....

Most people don't talk about this, but you must be able to handle the person renting the room/flat and that's my biggest issue.

Still mulling over haha

33 minutes ago, aedirn said:

I am also toying with the idea of getting a new 2-rm BTO as me & my mom are intending to downgrade from our current 5rm, and have started applying this year. Still have yet to get

Same concerns here about tenants actually. I'd much prefer to have my own space instead of sharing. Just feels off to have a stranger in the house with you. Don't think I am able to get used to that. I know, getting rent would be a perk but if it cramps my style, then I don't think I'll be doing that.

If u r a first time HDB owner, u should always buy ur first property (be it 2 or 3 room) from HDB directly in order to enjoy all your grants. it's ur birth right, so don't miss out on it. never buy a resale HDB for ur first property if u can help it, cos u r paying realised profit into the first owner's pocket. 

if u can be loan-free with a 2 room, then stick to a 2 room. it's always good to have no financial liabilities. never assume singapore's future to be rosy all the time.

Edited by gc0805

My opinion and experiences.

You should get a resale 3 room flat IF you can afford as you're only in your 30's with at least another 15 years of work life ahead.

Choose a layout with an area of around 75 sq metres in which you can split your unit into 2. Then you can live in one side while renting out the other.

This can supplement your income and becomes very useful should you choose to retire and live simply. You can have increased privacy compared to renting out a room and also fetch higher rental price.

With this in mind, location is key as then you'll find it easier to rent out and fetch a higher price. Of course, the other side of the coin is that you'll be paying a higher price for it. Again, affordability is key. You do not want to stretch your income trying to cover monthly payments should you find yourself unemployed.

When you are in your 50's, your flat's payments should be nearing its full payment and then you can start thinking of applying for a 2-room unit in another location. Your current 3 room flat would fetch a higher price should you sell it, giving you profits. This allows you to change to another location should you get tired of your current location.

You can then decide to go for the 99-year lease or the shorter lease depending on your situation.

In your 50-60's, you would appreciate a smaller space as it's easier to upkeep and maintain.

1 hour ago, night listener said:

My opinion and experiences.

You should get a resale 3 room flat IF you can afford as you're only in your 30's with at least another 15 years of work life ahead.

Choose a layout with an area of around 75 sq metres in which you can split your unit into 2. Then you can live in one side while renting out the other.

Could you elaborate how to 'split the unit into 2' ?

8 hours ago, Magenta_Lilies said:

Same concerns here about tenants actually. I'd much prefer to have my own space instead of sharing. Just feels off to have a stranger in the house with you. Don't think I am able to get used to that. I know, getting rent would be a perk but if it cramps my style, then I don't think I'll be doing that.

Anyway hope you get to choose a good unit @ Yishun!

Aim to get the bigger Flexi-Type 2 at 45sqm!

Guest Sotong Curry
19 hours ago, aedirn said:

I am also toying with the idea of getting a new 2-rm BTO as me & my mom are intending to downgrade from our current 5rm, and have started applying this year. Still have yet to get balloted....but my mom got a queue liao. Our intention is to stay near each other, or even within the same block so that essentially I get my own privacy but still not too far away from my mom to check on each other.

I think also many of my friends have been advising on getting resale + renting out rooms (or sell in future) as a better monetary option.

I think some have pointed out the pros & cons, but important thing is you must and be willing to rent out the spare room.

One big issue I or you have to contend with is the rentee....

Most people don't talk about this, but you must be able to handle the person renting the room/flat and that's my biggest issue.

Still mulling over haha

I see that as a perfect arrangement.  I hope  two of you stayed in the same block.  I agree on the tenant part, not easy, after some times can get quite dirty literally and metaphorically speaking.

rent or not rent? ask yourself, do u want an asset or liability?

from economic point of view, a house is a liability if u keep forking out money every month but nothing come in.....u carefully choose your tenant, there are certain nationality that unfortunately need to be avoided based on experiences....if your house is in the east, your target rental audience will be airport staff, don't forget we are going to have 5 terminals by 2019.....if your house is in the south, your target rental audience will be sentosa, both places employ lots of foreigners and shift workers, in fact if u rent to night shift workers, chances are u will seldom get to see them except on off days....get those with toilet in the masterbed room so u do not have to share the toilet...  tenant may not your friend but it need not be a complete stranger to u too....lastly something important to note:

You will not be allowed to buy a 2 room BTO if you had previously own a 3 room resale

On 11/08/2017 at 8:32 PM, Nipoet said:

Yay, welcome to the club! I'm the re-sale sub-club, though. xD

I just bought my 2rm resale flat in AMK last year July. Finished reno in Nov, now staying in my very own Ivory Tower! -dance-

Initially thought of buying 2rm BTO also. At a max of $100k after subsidies, I can pay off the whole sum in full using my CPF + some cash also. Instant house-owner without the stress of a loan! But then I wanted to move out of my parents house ASAP, and balloting + waiting for BTO to finish is gonna take at LEAST 3 years, when I'll be at least 38 liao.

Which is why I turned to re-sale instead. At my the moment I turn 35, I applied for the HLE, then started short-listing areas for my future 2rm flat. I was lucky to get one quite fast, and was the highest level also for that block (12), which was part of my consideration also.  Being a re-sale, I took up a HDB loan, but didn't need much cash up-front, so I could spend immediately on reno + furniture + appliances.

Knocked down the wall between my living rm and bedrm, re-do the wiring, flooring. Customized a wall-length ward-robe, new wall painting. Kitchen only did the cabinet + electric hob. Didn't reno my toilet, which I now regret. Used to pooping squatting down (old-school), but the re-sale flat had a bowl. Shoulda done up a squatting toilet instead.

No curtains, but used blinds (lazy to wash).

Bought my bed-frame and sofa at IKEA. I know, I know, but they cheap ma. My TV console I bought at Courts. TV also. Mattress I bought Sea-Horse brand, coz 20+ years used to sleeping on hard-as-wooden-board beds. xD Got a dining table, but that one more used for a study table by my SO. We usually just dine in front of the TV on a portable small table.

Ah, anyway!

If you intend to buy a BTO, you should re-do your flooring and toilet, probably. If you want to cook, you can invest more in your kitchen also. However, I think your wall colour is the single most prominent thing you will see whenever you go home. It should scream "WELCOME HOME!" instead of "OMG!" You should feel happy and at east whenever you return home. For me I used two shades of blue. Coz I like blue. :D My ceiling also the lighter blue.

Furniture and electronics, up to your preference. If too ex, settle for cheaper alternatives. If don't want to settle, save up and buy later. In the meantime, USE the CHEAPER alternative! Bed important! Every night must rest comfortably. That goes for bed sheets and blanket/quilt/pillows too. Must see liao then make you got desire to jump into bed one. :D

That's all I have for now. In the meantime, save up for your future renovations, so that you can create your own Ivory Tower also!

Cheers! :D

Good Advice. :)

Edited by HydroNaut
Wrong questions asked

On 10/08/2017 at 7:12 PM, Guest My 2cts said:

The basic you will need"

Kitchen

Fridge

Stove

Cabinet (built-in) as you need to store all the utensils, food items and cans/instant noodles

I used hand to watch normal laundry (bigger item I use my parents washing machine to wash thus save space in getting a washer)

Bedroom

Bed (super single should be comfortable)  Queensize or kingsize will take up lots space which you could otherwise add writing desk or wardrobe

Wardrobe (no need too big, just enough for normal wears to work and outing)

Writing desk (optional, I used my dinning table for multi-purpose thus this table you can skip in your bedroom)

Living Room

Dinning table - with two (or four) neat chairs (you can find them in ikea).  You will spend most of the time here eating, writing, sorting mails and surfing your computer thus important you consider where and how you want it to look.

Sofa - small one for watching TV or you can skip by sitting on a floor with good mat (Japanese style)

TV/consol

WINDOW

if your privacy is not intruded,  skip all curtains.  Lights is space.

Other important investment that will change your living space forever

Electrical wiring,  carefully select the plug-points for your lightings.preferebly at least  4 in each rooms.  Best localation is a feet or two above the ground to avoild unsightly

wire within eye-level and you can high the switch-point with other ornaments like plant pot, sofa or side coffee table..

With the extra space, add standing lamps, table lamps from room-to-room to give you that hotelier cosiness.

Ceiling fans is better than standing fan which took up space.

Avoid normal flourscent tube lighting (they are dated and hideous). 

Bookshelves, shelves for ornamant objects, wall pictures can look quite clutterd for a small space.

COLOR SCHEME 

All white (from wall painting to furnitures)

NOTE

This should be the most exciting time for you.  With the HDB layout plan before you, start visualise where you want what at which places.  Than google some  decor ideas of a small home.  Decide whether you want guests (mostly your parents or siblings)  and add additional chairs (which can be stored away in store room)  or sitting area

Trust me, your home will look bigger than any other home with BASICS and cosy  with plenty of warm lights.    I hope your neighbour is a gay person too. 

Disclaimer

The above idea was simply my own idea according to my personality and in no offense to TS who are probably has more colorful  lifesytle.   

Quite like your analysis of the layout. 

Can you PM me, I need to ask you something for my kitchen. :)

Guest Stolen Bread
2 hours ago, HydroNaut said:

Quite like your analysis of the layout. 

Can you PM me, I need to ask you something for my kitchen. :)

Any question, share here leh, so that everyone can learn from the answers too.  May be your question is also the same as the rest of people here.

18 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Paint vs wallpaper, which is a better option?  Wallpaper has more designs but also more expensive. 

I would most likely go for paint. Though there are some awesome wallpapers out there. The thing with wallpapers is, I find that they are hard to maintain/ Might peel off / discolouration / etc.

Gee, I'm now getting way too excited to get the keys in my hand. Have been occupying myself this past week, looking at design ideas/layout! And my appointment to book the damn apartment is still a month away! :)

Edited by Magenta_Lilies

On 8/14/2017 at 10:21 PM, Magenta_Lilies said:

I would most likely go for paint. Though there are some awesome wallpapers out there. The thing with wallpapers is, I find that they are hard to maintain/ Might peel off / discolouration / etc.

Gee, I'm now getting way too excited to get the keys in my hand. Have been occupying myself this past week, looking at design ideas/layout! And my appointment to book the damn apartment is still a month away! :)

The possibilities for wallpapers are endless!

I've even thought of getting custom made vinyl wallpapers to stick around my walls, but too lazy and too ex. xD

And since I've knocked down the wall between my bedroom and living room, I don't actually have a big wall left to put wallpapers on. :/

If you can afford to buy resale flat, i still think it is still a better option than getting a 2 room bto. As you have the flexibility of renting the extra room or even the whole unit as it fetches higher rental. With bigger flat, you also have the chance to allow your friends or relatives to come stay with you. But one thing to note, if you bought your first flat as resale, you are not able to buy the 2 room bto anymore under single scheme, unless you are buying under the eldery scheme when you reach 55.

Also buying 2 room bto depends a lot on your luck, if your luck is no good, you might ended wasting few years to be able to ballot for a flat. I have a friend who tried 2 years still could not get a queue number!

• HendryTan changed the title to Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.