Male HQ

Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Birds watcher

I heard the govt is planning to building green-corridor bto flats in Lim Chu Kang area. For those who loves nature and greeneries, you may consider  those area.

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Also buying 2 room bto depends a lot on your luck, if your luck is no good, you might ended wasting few years to be able to ballot for a flat. I have a friend who tried 2 years still could not get a queue number!

Actually, when I received my ballot number, which is 322 out of 320 available units, I thought I was dealt a very shitty card.

Now I appreciate that number way waaaay more because I've gotten to know that there are some out there whose ballot number is in the 800+ region for the same location.

And also realising that there are some singles out there who has been trying to get a 2-room since it came out in the news 4 years ago and is still not successful. 

Hence, I think the stars have aligned and decreed that I should and must get a 2-room BTO as my first property as oppose to a resale. Lol.  

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If you can afford to buy resale flat, i still think it is still a better option than getting a 2 room bto. As you have the flexibility of renting the extra room or even the whole unit as it fetches higher rental. With bigger flat, you also have the chance to allow your friends or relatives to come stay with you. But one thing to note, if you bought your first flat as resale, you are not able to buy the 2 room bto anymore under single scheme, unless you are buying under the eldery scheme when you reach 55.

I bot my first flat as resale but sold it a few years ago...now i am waiting for my 2room bto keys  "NOT" under the elderly scheme...FYI. :D

So it's possible....

2 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

I bot my first flat as resale but sold it a few years ago...now i am waiting for my 2room bto keys  "NOT" under the elderly scheme...FYI. :D

So it's possible....

You sure it is possible?

Guest Nightlight
4 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

So it's possible....

Impossible.  How did you get around with it?   HDB website said cannot.

5 hours ago, Guest Nightlight said:

Impossible.  How did you get around with it?   HDB website said cannot.

When i read it i certainly could and met their conditions hence i applied and it got approved...

I only got a successful ballot after the 3rd attempt.

Mine was the 2room BTO as singles are not  eligible to buy any larger units for the BTO exercise...

My first flat 3room was bot from the open market....again at that time that was the only size singles could buy from the resale market and at least 35yo.

Rules later changed and that singles could now buy larger flats than 3room...when the property market was depressed... if you remember.

Dont worry they will reject your application when you dont meet their pre conditions.... :D

Guest Don't get it
36 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

My first flat 3room was bot from the open market....again at that time that was the only size singles could buy from the resale

... :D

If you have owned a 3-room flat before (criteria that disqualify you from buy 2-room direct from HDB), how can you be allowed to ballot for a 2-BTO flat DIRECTLY from HDB?

On 14/08/2017 at 0:40 AM, Guest HDB said:

It should read:

You will not be allowed to buy a 2 room BTO if you had previously purchased a resale HDB with a government housing grants.

12 hours ago, Magenta_Lilies said:

Apparently, you can. But perhaps your chances are slim, pending the fact that you have owned a house previously/currently owning one.

ScreenHunter 08.png

I'm reading this for the first time - and it's definitely good to know.

Sadly, there is an income ceiling so not everyone is eligible after all.

But definitely good info

9 hours ago, Guest Don't get it said:

If you have owned a 3-room flat before (criteria that disqualify you from buy 2-room direct from HDB), how can you be allowed to ballot for a 2-BTO flat DIRECTLY from HDB?

If information from hdb stated this, i still don't understand why can buy 2 room bto under single scheme if owned a 3 room resale flat before?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who already are waiting for TOP and their keys, please remember to start saving money for furnishing the flat. If it is your first time buying a property, you'll be surprised how much furnishing an apartment can be. All the little things add up, so it is best to start saving as soon as possible.

Слава Україні!

Guest helpless_single

any single here facing a dilemma whereby ur salary exceed $6k which disqualify u from buying bto. U can only buy from resale market which is so much expensive

On 17/08/2017 at 9:02 AM, Guest Guest said:

If information from hdb stated this, i still don't understand why can buy 2 room bto under single scheme if owned a 3 room resale flat before?

Old singles downgrading to 2 room at shorter term lease?

Guest Guest 1980

Hello guys, I recently heard from HDB in response to my appeal for a waiver of the income ceiling. HDB said no. They advised I could still buy resale flats (2 rm, 3 rm, etc). My income is just over 6k per mth.

If I can't get a new job when my contract ends in 2019 or suffer a pay cut (below 6k), then perhaps I might be eligible for 2rm BTO.  Looks like I have to strive harder and climb up the management ladder to earn more...to afford a resale plus reno costs etc...and cut down on leisure travel plans...

I hope people can start renovating and buying furnitures before the GST increase.  I have this nagging feelings that the govt is going to increase GST heftily before the next GE.  You know lah, they are money-faced.

Using this logic of inflation, would the locals flock to Malaysia for cheaper furniture?  

We know all along that the bulk of furniture sold here are imported, so does it not make sense to venture overseas for the higher-priced items?  

I know for sure that I did it during the recent HIP for the 2 toilets - I bought all my bathroom equipment and stuff from JB at about 50% of the price.  Yes, the DIY shop near the Indian Temple sells good-enough stuff at a fraction of the price offered at those Jalan Besar shops.  

On ‎29‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:20 AM, Guest Guest 1980 said:

Hello guys, I recently heard from HDB in response to my appeal for a waiver of the income ceiling. HDB said no. They advised I could still buy resale flats (2 rm, 3 rm, etc). My income is just over 6k per mth.

If I can't get a new job when my contract ends in 2019 or suffer a pay cut (below 6k), then perhaps I might be eligible for 2rm BTO.  Looks like I have to strive harder and climb up the management ladder to earn more...to afford a resale plus reno costs etc...and cut down on leisure travel plans...

chances of appeal with hdb or any other bodies is as good as "0", unless is serious cases like divorce, someone pass away etc....6k can definitely afford a resale flat unless u r looking at that crazy pinnacle or city view with hundreds of million dollar dreams there.....choose wisely :P

th?id=OIP.oAmvyMrFvtsz10MRWnjQdwEsEE&pidor               th?id=OIP.hfXoxLDOQMKMbeCSRAKegAEYEs&pid

Guest Contract
10 hours ago, Guest Guest 1980 said:

I would focus on thinking what will happend beyond 2019 instead of now I want a flat.

On 8/29/2017 at 7:47 PM, sgmaven said:

For those who already are waiting for TOP and their keys, please remember to start saving money for furnishing the flat. If it is your first time buying a property, you'll be surprised how much furnishing an apartment can be. All the little things add up, so it is best to start saving as soon as possible.

When you shop for furniture, you might find yourself visiting the same few shops more than twice - and that's normal. Don't buy impulsively!

Another tip is - and I hope I'm not treading on thin line because this might come across as brand-slamming - don't go for the big brands that sell very expensive furniture pieces because if you spend enough time going around Singapore, you'll find that there are many similar products that look like those sold at big brands.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:48 AM, abang said:

Using this logic of inflation, would the locals flock to Malaysia for cheaper furniture?  

We know all along that the bulk of furniture sold here are imported, so does it not make sense to venture overseas for the higher-priced items?  

I know for sure that I did it during the recent HIP for the 2 toilets - I bought all my bathroom equipment and stuff from JB at about 50% of the price.  Yes, the DIY shop near the Indian Temple sells good-enough stuff at a fraction of the price offered at those Jalan Besar shops.  

All my lights are bought in JB. And so are my bed sheets. But to drive into JB every weekend to run those errands is a bit challenging. I have friends who halved their budgets by going into JB to get all their white goods.

When buying furniture, consider what you are like. If you are likely to change furniture and remodel your flat every few years, then most of the self-assembled stuff from Ikea is good enough. Note that many of the light-weight furniture do not survive the assembly-disassembly-assembly process well.

While solid wood furniture is in general more expensive than MDF furniture, it is usually a lot more durable. So keep this in mind when buying furniture.

As for white goods, most are not designed to last. Do consider practicality past the marketing. An "inverter" air-condition may reduce electrical consumption, but the extra cost of the unit may not realise any savings, if you are not a heavy user of air-conditioning, for example.

Слава Україні!

Guest Ordinary Joe

When I first got my flat,  I created a theme and bought the necessary items that I never get tired for the past 15 years and still going crazy about my theme.  You need to ask yourself,  what would you need or want in order to make yourselves feel at home and never get tired of it.  No point buying things for show, and than you don't need it and having to pay to get someone to throw them away, especially bulky item like bed, table, sofa, cupboard, wardrobe...etc.   

Than came maintenance,  is your furniture too trouble for you to do simple chores like sweeping or mopping the floor, or is the item always gathering dust due to its design or will you foresee having diffiulty reaching out to the top level of the self once you gets older and will your furnishing block any air circulation at home or are they easily movable so you can always relocate them to your liking....etc.  

You really need to be very meticulous from the tangible and intangible aspect to ensure  a more permanent lifestyle as your age progresses from one stage to the next.   People always "wow" at my house 15 years ago and even 15 years later when the minister did a home-visit.  He thought my house was simple and elegant.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:14 PM, Magenta_Lilies said:

Heya guys,

Am single, 36 years of age and have recently applied for a 2-room HDB BTO in Yishun. Fortunately enough, I managed to get an appointment to select my apartment this coming September. Pretty excited and thrilled at the thought of getting my own place. Just would like to get some opinions perhaps. Is there anyone here who is already living in a new 2-Room apartment? How is it like? Is it cramped or just nice? What kinda design layout did you settle for to maximise space? With such a small space, I believe I will spending a lot on interior design and renovations to make it a place I can truly call home.

Currently am living with my parents in a 4-bedroom house and there's only the three of us at home. Living on my own, I'm sure it could be pretty daunting but it's high time I get started huh? I would certainly miss the tonnes of space I am used to now, but at least I will get my own freedom, no matter how small my new apartment will be. I guess I will make a trip down to HDB Hub soon to take a look at their showroom for the 2-Room apartment.

Advice from a couple of my friends have been ringing in my ears recently, telling me not to buy the 2-Room but instead to purchase a bigger resale apartment. A sort of way to think about my future (possibility of renting out rooms to earn extra income / when I get a boyfriend / when I decide to adopt / etc). I get where they are coming from. But I also feel like this 2-Room apartment will sort of be my retirement home. A cosy space to spend the remaining years of my life. Being gay, I kinda see myself living on my own in the future and hence not finding the need to share my space with a significant other. I know, I know, that might change but highly unlikely I guess.

it's all about being simple and honest to your budget and spending.

know many people with beautiful homes, with equally explosive loans.

brings a lot of unnecessary stress to their lives and relationships.

there is also a user that posted he is being denied an assignment of a home type based on his salary.

so for him, it means he needs to maintain this salary or progress higher when his contract ends. 

when planning for the future, you must consider the worst case scenarios.

that is the difference between planning and hoping.

if the worst does happen, he will find himself in financial woes that is completely preventable.

just buy what you can afford at the moment, and there is no shame is saving up for something.

for my partner and our pets, space itself is a luxury. so for just two occupants in a 4 room unit,

an organised, minimalist home that is peaceful and calming is best.

very easy to clean too, less than 1 hr to wipe down/vac and mop the whole house.

we used to have a weekly maid, but after paring down our lifestyle, no need anymore

and we enjoy doing the weekly cleaning together.

for a 2 room flat, i would advise no walls and just have movable partitions installed. 

something similar to the HDB showroom studio flat, but you can find those that are translucent

this lets in more light even when closed, and doesn't close up the whole space.

try to spend more on hidden built in storage, even shallow cupboards will help when they are floor to ceiling.

for small units, it is important to use the vertical space, while elevating things off the floor.

for example, floating cupboards or wardrobes give you storage without visually eating up floor space.
you are able to store away your belongings, while visually having enough space to relax in your home.

additional notes:

• before moving, also go through your belongings and minimise what to bring over. this makes packing less insane, and if you engage moving services, there will be less to move.
  • about 2 years from your move-in date, you can start looking out for home items. buy at a good price when you come across it, don't wait to get everything at once, it will stress you out, you won't get good deals and also your wallet will cry.  

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

First thing first, if you have the funds to do it, pay the balance of the mortgage as soon as possible.  I can attest to that as I was lucky to clear the sum when I hit 36.  

It was a major decision and a painful one because a large chunk of my CPF and personal savings evaporated overnight. Of course, it was the best decision and much better than a good relationship with a gorgeous AMDK. 

With furniture and fitting, do the basic minimal necessity first.  You can always buy newer stuff as time goes on...Start with the hardware - flooring, walls, lightings, kitchen cabinet... Just scout around for the best prices..Like I said earlier, try JB for bargains..

Many people approach renovations with a last-minute mentality. They do not save ahead for it, and end up taking a loan (one of the worst kinds) for it. Interest is high (average is now about 6% effective), and you can avoid it by saving up during your wait for the flat to be completed.

Like many of us have mentioned, understand your buying/spending power, and budget from there. Do also budget for contingency, since most renovations do not totally go according to plan (delays and modifications are almost inevitable).

Once you have the budget for the renovation, then you can see what you can afford. No use looking at furniture and designs that are out of your league, it will only make you miserable. You'll be surprised how simple designs can be so practical in the long run.

Слава Україні!

That is a very nice design (for magazines). I find it a little too bare for my liking - where is the space to relax and unwind to the lovely melodic voice of Cai Qin...

One other thing is its practicality in Singapore.  The dust level is much too high and unless the room is completely sealed and air-conditioned, cleaning could be an issue.

Overall nice to look at but ...I have reservations...my alternative to this design is to use more glass than wood, i.e. sliding glass doors (to replace the Japanese folding doors and that wall that divides the room), glass top tables and almost transparent chairs can still enlarge the area.. throw in mirrors to "double-up" the space.  

Guest Minimalist talking
1 hour ago, abang said:

That is a very nice design (for magazines). I find it a little too bare for my liking - where is the space to relax and unwind to the lovely melodic voice of Cai Qin...

One other thing is its practicality in Singapore.  The dust level is much too high and unless the room is completely sealed and air-conditioned, cleaning could be an issue.

Overall nice to look at but ...I have reservations...my alternative to this design is to use more glass than wood, i.e. sliding glass doors (to replace the Japanese folding doors and that wall that divides the room), glass top tables and almost transparent chairs can still enlarge the area.. throw in mirrors to "double-up" the space.  

Wood creates warmth, a sense of nature.  Glass, personally to an old man, could be very risky.  What if he slipped and crashed the glass.  I know of someone who placed glass sliding door and it looks as if it wasn't there at all and than he walked into it and smashed the glass door. It  was bloody accident.

As for the above design, it looks zen but the two tins hanging on the wall  spoil the show.  The ceiling looks ugly, was it artificial?  The dinning table seems out of place, close to blocking the walkways in the living room towards the kithcen and the chair was not consistence nor comfy  for the small table.  The space can house a larger table for readings. The black rug, darkened the hall.  Red rug would give the white design an elegant touch.   The glass vase for the giant tree, might be a little too small.  However, to hold the tree, instead of using white paper,  I suggest using a transparent  singpost bubble wrappers.    Other than the lightbulb hanging above the table,  there isn't much lightings in the room to create the warmth after the sunset.   Do up a simple white hanger for the guitar,  hide the books in the cupboard and in its place a standing lamp would do the tree a favour.

Guest Minimalist talking
On 9/6/2017 at 2:31 PM, sgmaven said:

Many people approach renovations with a last-minute mentality. They do not save ahead for it, and end up taking a loan (one of the worst kinds) for it. Interest is high (average is now about 6% effective), and you can avoid it by saving up during your wait for the flat to be completed.

Before I got my house,  I visited every hotel in Singapore and see how they design to give tourist the comfy and warmth.  Of course my house is not a hotel, but the idea is there.  Three things were vital - nature, lightings and simplicty.  Ornaments differ from hotel to hotel depending on the theme - some used oriental ornate decor,  other were very english and classical,  there was also the balinese concept.  Once you walked into those places and your immediate reaction is "awesome" than you are meant for that theme.  My friend created PUB/Lounge concept for his home.  I was borne from an oriental home, and I don't fancy too much of colorful items regardless how vintage they were.   I felt comfortable with a blend of Japanese and classical concept. 

Once I got a house, I don't jump into renovation nor furnishing.  I took at least a week to walk around the empty house, feeling its energy and visualise every corner and spaces that need to be used.   In my mine,  we paid for the expensive space, so we need to create more space by having less of items.  Than you will know what you want.  But different people may think differently.  I am a very stressful person, so I don't like cluttered or colorful house to add to my stress.  If I didn't hear the echo of my footstep, than I know I have overstocked my space.

Loving the minimalist aesthetics though it's pricey for a interior design costing $80k-$90k.

Might consider saving up for a 2-bedroom or 3-bedroom, but I don't plan to stay in Singapore for the long term. Might invest a chunk of money (or do it myself, I wanna learn minimalism design and see if I can apply it to my home!) to decorate the place so it feels right.

9 hours ago, tomcat said:

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

1 hour ago, abang said:

To avoid knocking onto glass doors, stick a decal on it...

I am a cheapo and I took several PINK DOT decals during the past few events and now, I can be reminded of PINK DOT anytime...

No lah, it was like shaving off your hair and than put on a wig to remind you for having a hair.

14 hours ago, Guest Minimalist talking said:

Once I got a house, I don't jump into renovation nor furnishing.  I took at least a week to walk around the empty house, feeling its energy and visualise every corner and spaces that need to be used.

7 hours ago, Rhyn said:

Loving the minimalist aesthetics though it's pricey for a interior design costing $80k-$90k.

As a practising minimalist for the past 6 years or so, i find there are a few things about it that most people

misunderstand. For some it is just a "look"or aesthetic, others it's a trend thing, but really it is a spiritual practice

and philosophy.

Of decluttering, simplification that roots from self-reflection and honesty. Clarity about what is important,

and of priority in your home, which is seen as an extension of yourself.

so yes our homes are sacred spaces - it is where we feel safe, rest, nurture and nourish our body and mind.

it is a space of love, discovery and growth, powered by the intention of its occupants.

Our 4rm unit looks 80% like the apartment. Very bare, only some large pieces of furniture, no tv, just plants.

It is a harmonious space, we can see that it relaxes our adult guests, but also animals and children.

Even fussy children tend to calm down and be quiet.

Lately, we also enjoy small carpentry and DIY projects - it seems more meaningful.

having the ability to creating something when we need it is also very empowering!

so being creative is also a huge part of minimalism, design thinking solutions and thinking out of the box.

our own "invisible" storage is actually a series of low tv consoles joined to make one statement piece.

it is storage for shoes, cleaning supplies, router/modem, some exercise equipment, cat toys.

and also doubles up as a display shelf (as seen below), low seating and literally a cat walk.

they love lounging on it, and walking up and down its whole length of it.

15937107_1202666693122405_86398575023338

15338732_1164788523576889_86764524476289

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  I need advice as to how to apply for a bto  when I'm not employed for many years and I do not have any income tax form to fill up. 

I do part time assignments  with no cpf  , as good as saying I'm self employed and I earn less than 2K  , so how do I go about applying for the BTO? 

38 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Hi,  I need advice as to how to apply for a bto  when I'm not employed for many years and I do not have any income tax form to fill up. 

I do part time assignments  with no cpf  , as good as saying I'm self employed and I earn less than 2K  , so how do I go about applying for the BTO? 

Don't take risk, even if your BTO is accepted with part-time income.  Financially not prudent.  If you owe more than 3-months installments, your home will be re-possessed by HDB.  Don't believe in the govt saying that you can still own a flat with $1000 income.  You need to factor many other cost like town council fee (also govt will re-posses your flat if you owe them several months), utilities, internet, meal, transport,  foreseeable breakdown maintenance - plumber, electrical...etc.   You can afford meh?

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

I don't know if the hdb loan or bank loan be approved if you are working on part-time job? Best is to check with hdb on the procedure of applying for the bto.

1 hour ago, sgmaven said:

Perhaps he has enough cash? And just needs the approval to get the flat from HDB? Amongst older guys, it is quite common that they will be able to pay down most of the costs with money in CPF.

I think if you are planning to full cash the house, should not be a problem to buy the bto from hdb if you meet all the requirements.

• Guest locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

Presumably you are single >35yo and have sufficient cash, a resale 3-room HDB is more worthwhile in long run. If you just want to own a house with no intention to rent or sell in future, then a single BTO is much cheaper.

1 hour ago, Guest Choices said:

What are the pros and cons?

BTO

(Suitable for people with insufficient cash or CPF or young generations) - cannot choose the level of storey, or unit me think.

Pros -  New, fresh lease of 99 years and cheaper  (as in no COV)

Cons -  Non matured estate,  can only buy 2 room BTO,  got to wait at least 3 years to get the key,  need money to renovate.  Need special approval if you wanted to rent out your flat.

Resale

(suitable for people with sufficient cash or CPF)  - can choose your type of flats, locations, storey level and flat layout.

Pros - can buy any type of flats in matured estates of your choice.  Get key instantly. Probably save on renovation cost if house is well maintained.

Can consider renting out a room or whole room if you buy 3-room with instant HDB approval.   Old flats tend to have bigger spaces than BTO.  More pros than

cons...me think

Cons - aging lease, so have to wait for Enbloc  SER or VERS in the future (this part will excite many people as to what the politicians are going to do about it).    

Me think most people will not outlive their flat final years., especially if you are born in the Millenium generations too.

Need to pay COV, amount depend on market sentiment and remaining lease. 

6 hours ago, Innocentguy said:

3room resale better

Can choose any preferred location. Bigger in size n can rent out if mind change in future. 

3 room resale only better if your flat is new, if you buy those 3 room above 35 year old, by the time you want to sell your flat already more than 40s year old, might not able to fetch high price. But 3 room can rent out room or whole unit and price is not bad if your flat location is good.

2 room flat not much resale value even if it is new cause not much high demand for 2 room flat. Cannot rent out room. But if buy 2 room flat, very fast can pay off the flat loan due to flat price is low. Or if you have lots of CPF, can even one time pay off the flat and no more loan.

• HendryTan changed the title to Buying BTO Vs 3-Room HDB Discussion (Compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.