Male HQ

The word "Bro"'

benedict5856

Being a gay, how do u guys feel when another guy called you "bro".

From stranger, 

From customer whom u met first time, or

anyone u have known....

What's your thoughts at that point of time?

is the word Bro a straight guy greetings, or its common gays will use the word Bro?

Edited by benedict5856

Guest Good looking guy
23 minutes ago, benedict5856 said:

From stranger, 

anyone u have known....

It means nothing.  If you call people "Sir" it means the same thing.  Sometime people call you "bro" because you look young, otherwise they call you "uncle".    In fact, I have people call me "Mr Handsome".  So ya, "bro" means nothing to me.

I don't know what being gay, bi or straight, have anything to do with someone calling them "bro". Personally it creates a more casual interaction.

Just like what guest said, the significance of a word is determined by the weight you put behind it. To me bro is okay, regardless of orientation.

I doubt it's a must to refer to all gays as sis right?

good deeds never go unpunished

Ok. 

To me, i will get irritated when ppl call me Bro. 

It was like - errrr..... we came out from same hole?

or did we go through life and death, such that we are sworn brothers?! 

or what......

is bro bro a straight thing or what? or that we gays don't like to be called bro?!

21 minutes ago, benedict5856 said:

Ok. 

To me, i will get irritated when ppl call me Bro. 

It was like - errrr..... we came out from same hole?

or did we go through life and death, such that we are sworn brothers?! 

or what......

is bro bro a straight thing or what? or that we gays don't like to be called bro?!

Sometimes someone who totally doesn't know you call me bro I will not like it because they trying to get friendly with you to temporarily gain your "trust "and try to fulfil their ulterior motives. 

I have no issues being called "Bro" even by strangers.

But many guys in gay apps specifically state that they will block you if you "Bro" them. So I have been wondering what's the big deal

When I heard a handsome str8 guy called me bro. Deep inside me, I am thinking... "You wanna Bro me, I wanna Blow you." :D

Last week, my gay buddy asked someone from a str8 cute guy over for a mj session, keep calling me bro....I also called him "Blow" in reply many times....

hahaha.... Normally when we play mj among our regular gay friends, we normally address each other as Sisters when i told my other gay mj kakis about this... they jested me.

1 hour ago, benedict5856 said:

From stranger, 

anyone u have known....

Bro is like "abang"in english.

I.dont call gays in apps as bro n dont like to b called bro in those apps bcoz i dont have fun with brothers.only strangers. Hehe

1 minute ago, bigdanbeam said:

Its annoying when colleagues Bro me. Like someone mentioned, we aren't that close we are merely colleagues. Dont come and 称兄道弟 with me. And it simply implies that they cant be bothered to address you by name

So serious ar?

I guess it varies with each individual based on sensitivity. To me,it means nothing. Its like when u first started your first day at work and people are trying to get to know you better. Would u prefer a casual convo starting with "bro" or "oi or hey!" I treat them as trying to be friendly. So no issues for me :) tell me if im

wrong.

1 minute ago, sam_mccarthy said:

I guess it varies with each individual based on sensitivity. To me,it means nothing. Its like when u first started your first day at work and people are trying to get to know you better. Would u prefer a casual convo starting with "bro" or "oi or hey!" I treat them as trying to be friendly. So no issues for me :) tell me if im

wrong.

Xx

Edited by cutejack

2 hours ago, benedict5856 said:

From stranger, 

anyone u have known....

I don't quite like it, I prefer others to address my name

Bro is a generic term and save it for their closest bro pls

nt for me

but if u want me to choose to be address as "Uncle" or bro, of cos Bro is pref!

I guess my stand is similar to Bro Bigdan

I don't mind if strangers call me bro. In most asian countries eg cn hk tw thailand etc, most ppl address each other as big bro or sis eg when asking for direction.

But i don't like it when service staff address me in order to short change. Eg. Bro we run out of towels already.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

3 hours ago, bigdanbeam said:

Its annoying when colleagues Bro me. Like someone mentioned, we aren't that close we are merely colleagues. Dont come and 称兄道弟 with me. And it simply implies that they cant be bothered to address you by name

Agree with him as well as OP. 

We're not even close. Don't call me Bro. I feel uncomfortable. 

I feel honoured to be called bro.
It bring us closer. Easier to break the ice, seal the deal. More friendly. 
It may be only a salutation but it makes a world of difference, to me. 
Esp to the guy I like. There is no distance between us... hug (:

Just now, Ben Ben Ben said:

Some China gal called guys 小哥

To me, that's quite cute, although I thought they only use that in kungfu shows  :D

Didn't know they use it in real life too!

yang+guo+and+xiaolongnu.png

I notice that often, a younger China service staff guy will address an older male customer as "帅哥"。But because they use it for most of their male customers, it kind of loses its meaning for me.

5 hours ago, benedict5856 said:

From stranger, 

anyone u have known....

To me, if I like a certain guy, whether it's an ICT platoon mate, colleague, or friend, I will find it a big turn on when he addresses me as "bro".  :D

But if I find that a certain guy is a scum, then whether he is gay or straight, if he calls me "bro" (usually with the intention of asking for some unreasonable favours), I would find it very repulsive.

14 minutes ago, Ben Ben Ben said:

Some China gal called guys 小哥

This reminds me of a Chinese client, who always refer me as little brother (小弟) which I felt weird about. He has been a pretty good client, and although I felt weird about the reference, I rationalised that maybe I am too westernised about the whole thing, and it is just their way of expressing their comfort level with me. Still, it feels funny to be referred in such overtly familial context when the relationship I feel I have with him is one of business/professional. 

Love. 

From stranger, 

anyone u have known....

I dislike it.

It sounds so superficial and fake.

Utterly phoney, trying to act like we are blood related or at least chums.

I don't care for it one bit.

So guys, will u called others BRO? 

Being a gay, will u like to call others "bro", or u would call by their names.

We can't stop other calling us bro, but will u call others, yr friends, colleagues - bro bro.

I purposely call some of my gay friends BRO to neutralize their tendencies to call one another SIS.

At first when someone called me bro, it feels awkward as "we are not close", but when you are surrounded by most straight guys, you will eventually accept it coz that's how they just called each other. No matter whether they are close friends or no. Bro is like a common word for "Hi". And by time i used to call other guys as bro as well. I mean it's not a big deal now. As long as you dont call me "Sis". Haha..... 

If i know the person/acquaintance, most definitely i will address them by name...

If we are really close, i will call them with an affectionate nickname or a term of endearment...

But somehow, this term 'bro' kinda irks me.... Dun mind but just hope the person dun use the word too much on me... Same thing with the kids nowadays using the word 'legit'...

The word 'dude' rolls off my tongue much more often though...

Been chatting with a guy from Grindr.. And then we move on to whatsapp....  

One of the morning as I was having conversations with my personal trainer, I accidentally text  okay bruhh(bro)...  I immediately text say.. Wrong person..   

He replied..  " I thought so too.. Why suddenly bro me.." 

Does that mean that....  He is like..  Hmm expecting us to be more than friends? Or early stages of it?  Haha

Just wondering.. 

I have been called "bro" uncountable times in different variations, in different languages and places. It did feel uncomfortable at the very beginning but I have gotten used to it and does not place any significance to it anymore. However, after reading this thread, I remembered one incident that it totally weirded me out. It was in China many years back and we were doing the deed. In the heat of the moment he was going....“哥儿....快...啊..哥..快点儿!!“ and it gave me goosebumps but not really in a good way. It's a bit funny thinking about it now ^_^.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Guest locked this topic