Male HQ

STD in singapore

Guest Ah Boy

What are the consequences of being detected with std in Singapore for foreign worker and for local? are they going to report this to MOH, to your parents, to your colleagues and everyone near to you or they will keep it private? 

Is it safer to go Malaysia or other country for check up or Malaysian Doctors will also report this back to sg?

Sorry im just seeking for people who gone through this and have knowledge about this thanks!

In Singapore, all doctors have to notify MOH if they detect an infectious disease in a patient. Notifiable diseases includes most common STDs like herpes, syphillis, gonorrhoea. However, doctors are not required to reveal the patient's identity unless this patient has HIV or Hep B/C. 

If your friends suspect they may be HIV positive, they should get checked at the AFA  walk-in clinic or at one of the GPs that offers anonymous HIV testing. Their confidentiality will be protected there even if the results are positive. 

21 minutes ago, TopChinese said:
In Singapore, all doctors have to notify MOH if they detect an infectious disease in a patient. Notifiable diseases includes most common STDs like herpes, syphillis, gonorrhoea. However, doctors are not required to reveal the patient's identity unless this patient has HIV or Hep B/C. 

If your friends suspect they may be HIV positive, they should get checked at the AFA  walk-in clinic or at one of the GPs that offers anonymous HIV testing. Their confidentiality will be protected there even if the results are positive. 

But if it is only STD let say gonorrhea, is it ok to get checked in sg, cause my friend is thinking of the consequences like MOH would interview him etc etc or they will keep track record that affect all his future applications?

Guest poka doshu

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ban-on-entry-into-singapore-eased-for-foreigners-with-hiv

Ban on entry into Singapore eased for foreigners with HIV

Short-term visit pass holders allowed to enter Singapore, but ban remains for long-stayers

SINGAPORE - For more than two decades, foreigners infected with HIV have not been allowed to set foot in Singapore. However, the ban on those entering on short-term visit passes was lifted on April 1, The Straits Times has found out.

The ban remains for long-term visitors, such as those looking to work in Singapore or those who want to accompany a child studying here, the Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed.

"The policy on the repatriation and permanent blacklisting of HIV-positive foreigners was recommended in the late 1980s when the disease was new, fatal and no effective treatment was available," a spokesman said.

But the ban was lifted "given the current context with more than 5,000 Singapore residents living with HIV and the availability of effective treatment for the disease".

The human immunodeficiency virus causes Aids, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome.

The Straits Times understands that foreigners here - excluding permanent residents or spouses of Singaporeans - found to be HIV- positive will be deported and put on a permanent blacklist.

The MOH spokesman added: "Lifting the short-term travel restrictions... poses very low additional risk of HIV transmission to the local population.

"However, the public health risk posed by long-stayers is not insignificant, hence the restriction on long-term visits has been retained."

The rule is similar to immigration laws found in countries such as Australia and New Zealand, he added.

{Comment by me poka doshu ,, My own observation in the cases of Australia and New Zealand is that the home minister have discretion to grant entry on humanitarian grounds to people with HIV wanting to enter these 2 countries to visit relatives who they have not seen for long time or will see for the last time, or have family or children from previous marriages or may come into these 2 countries for the sake of marriage or coomon law marriage , or defacto reltionships with an Australian partner or New Zealand partner, the HIV positive visitor or prospective marriage partner or defacto lived in relationship partner may enter into australia or new zealand and live there and appy for defacto relationship visa, on the basis that they sign an undertaking to not bleed the welfare system or burden the tax payers when they get admitted to their public health care system, in other words the HIV positive person either pays only full price private healthcare when they get sick or go back ot their home countries for treatment and medication when eventually they get very sick and may be dying can only receive health care outside of Australia and New Zealand.  The keyword is the home minister may grant entry visa on a case by case basis on humanitarian grounds so that their citizens oz and Nz can be united with their partners. } This part was added by me ,not found in original article. Please take note.

HIV attacks the body's immune system and is transmitted mainly through sexual intercourse, although it can spread in other ways, such as by sharing contaminated needles.

A spokesman for advocacy group Action for Aids said it welcomed the change, but restrictions should also be lifted for long-term visitors.

"People living with HIV or Aids are not criminals and should not be banned from entering the country," he said. "(They) can and should be able to have fulfilling and rewarding lives, with loving relationships and be integrated as part of the community. Unfortunately, discrimination is still prevalent."

Professor Roy Chan, who is on the governing council of the International Aids Society and is also the president of Action for Aids, added: "People living with HIV infection who are on antiretroviral therapy and are successfully virally suppressed are not infectious to other people."

Antiretroviral therapy can reduce the virus to undetectable levels in the blood, enabling the immune system to recover and function almost normally.

A 56-year-old who is HIV-positive and declined to give his name said: "Some of my friends who are HIV-positive are worried about how to pack their medication and if they will be barred when they travel. We hope to be allowed into other countries, so we would want to accord the same treatment for people who enter our country."

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 31, 2015, with the headline 'Entry ban eased for foreigners with HIV'. Print Edition | Subscribe

I found anonymous clinics and i called them they said they wont report std to government as well as hiv. hmmm just curious if that is actually credible or they actually like bait for people who have disease. because i know in sg if you are foreigner you certainly cannot have std, hiv or hepa but they said they wont report it is it true? for hiv by the way they even said they dont need particulars, just curious cause if you are positive in hiv means they just allow you to go and just like nothing happened?

I also found anonymous clinic i didnt know that having std will cost you at least 500 for the treatment. Guys be careful see the cost. i dont even know if i will spend that much or go outside sg to do it so i wont spend that much.

Guest GHYTUEI
11 hours ago, Guest Ah Boy said:

I found anonymous clinics and i called them they said they wont report std to government as well as hiv. hmmm just curious if that is actually credible or they actually like bait for people who have disease. because i know in sg if you are foreigner you certainly cannot have std, hiv or hepa but they said they wont report it is it true? for hiv by the way they even said they dont need particulars, just curious cause if you are positive in hiv means they just allow you to go and just like nothing happened?

9 hours ago, Guest STD said:

I also found anonymous clinic i didnt know that having std will cost you at least 500 for the treatment. Guys be careful see the cost. i dont even know if i will spend that much or go outside sg to do it so i wont spend that much.

https://expatliving.sg/sexually-transmitted-diseases-in-singapore-all-you-need-to-know/

SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES IN SINGAPORE: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

6 MARCH 2014

Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) are a scourge of modern society, and Singapore isn’t exempt from them. In fact, the rate of STD infection in Singapore has increased sharply in recent years.  It’s important that sexually active people in every country arm themselves with knowledge about STDs in their area and protect themselves. Here, we look at the current state of STDs in Singapore and some basic ways to ensure that you and your loved ones can protect yourselves.

Reporting in Singapore
In many countries, obtaining statistics on rate of infection and total numbers of infected individuals can be quite difficult, since patient identity remains confidential. In Singapore, however, this is not the case. By law all new serious sexually transmitted infections – namely: chancroids, chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis, HIV/AIDS and syphilis – must be reported to the Singapore Ministry of Health (SMOH) for follow-up monitoring.

The intention of this reporting is to provide care for the infected individual and those around him or her and to limit the spread of disease. Regardless, the SMOH does admit that some cases do slip through the cracks as a result of under-reporting.  On the other hand, it has also caused a few people embarrassment and some others have refused testing for fear of discovery. So, without a doubt, the system is far from perfect, but at least most Singaporeans have an idea of the risks faced, and that treatment is available.

The ones to watch out for… 
The most common serious venereal disease in Singapore is gonorrhea, which can be spread through all forms of sex. When left untreated, it can have serious consequences. For information on gonorrhea symptoms, treatment, and prevention visit the Singapore Health Prevention Board’s gonorrhea page (Warning: Slightly Not Safe For Work!).

Additionally, HIV/AIDS is on the rise with a 469 new cases diagnosed in 2013, bringing the total number of Singapore residents dealing with this incurable disease to about 3,000. For a brief run-down of all the most common STDs in Singapore, head here.

Fortunately, most sexually transmitted infections are treatable, especially when detected early. Furthermore, should you ever discover you have been infected with a sexually transmitted disease, it’s the right thing to do to discreetly inform your sexual partner(s) as soon as possible so they can get tested, and receive treatment if needed.

Protect yourself
The importance of using a condom every time cannot be overstated, since condoms can prevent both unwanted pregnancy and most STDs. So talk to your children before they become sexually active so that they know how to protect themselves.

Finally, because the cost of medical care in Singapore is constantly on the rise, it is highly recommended that everyone protect themselves with a comprehensive health insurance policy that includes coverage for any medical care required to treat STDs.

• Guest locked this topic