Male HQ

public swimming pool: Cost Increase 15 Folds!

Guest Guest

I am utterly shocked! I came across an old article that said the cost to swim in a public swimming pool was $0.10 or free in 1931..what is thr cost to swim in a public pool now? $1.50! This was an increase og 1500%!!!!

The government of that time made swimming a cheap activity as it cost just 10cents..now everything increases so much as compared to the past. I wish our salary could increase 15 times! If such cost is not managed just imagine your grandkids will have to pay a whopping $15 to enter a public swimming pool to swim!

3 minutes ago, Swisse said:

a bowl of noodles cost 5cents in 1931.. it's minimum $3 to $4 now...

why don't you stay in the past where the salary was $90/month?

So does that mean cost have to increase 15 times? Food increase that much? Its shocking than you imagine in future a bowl of meepok cost $300 in future than you do not complain!

Guest, There is a term called inflation. 50 years ago. A 3 room flat cost $6000. What is the price now?

If Salary is $90 dollar then and Noodle is 5 cents and a visit to swimming pool cost 10 cents. Which is more expensive?

If your future noodle cost $ 300 a bowl. You be earning 1 million dollars per month. Dun worry, you will survive somehow.

OMG, the New Generation..Hmm

14 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I am utterly shocked! I came across an old article that said the cost to swim in a public swimming pool was $0.10 or free in 1931..what is thr cost to swim in a public pool now? $1.50! This was an increase og 1500%!!!!

The government of that time made swimming a cheap activity as it cost just 10cents..now everything increases so much as compared to the past. I wish our salary could increase 15 times! If such cost is not managed just imagine your grandkids will have to pay a whopping $15 to enter a public swimming pool to swim!

People also made like $1 an hour in 1931. Do you want your salary to go back to the "good old days" rate too?

2 hours ago, Andare said:

Guest, There is a term called inflation. 50 years ago. A 3 room flat cost $6000. What is the price now?

If Salary is $90 dollar then and Noodle is 5 cents and a visit to swimming pool cost 10 cents. Which is more expensive?

If your future noodle cost $ 300 a bowl. You be earning 1 million dollars per month. Dun worry, you will survive somehow.

OMG, the New Generation..Hmm

not true at all. In 2007, a three room hdb resale cost $150-160. In 2017, it costs $320k at least. Doubled. But salary has not doubled for sure. 

17 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Well assuming that the costs of running the swimming complex is $20,000 per month. This includes maintenance costs, staff, lifeguards etc. To keep charging $0.10 per entry. the swimming complex will need to have 200,000 people using the facilities per month to breakeven, which is about 6,666 visitors per day. Assume that the pool is open for 12 hours a day from 9am to 9pm, that means we need about 555.5 visitors per hour. 

Assume the swimming complex has 3 Olympic sized pools and each pool has 10 lanes. Therefore within each hour, there will be 185 people within each pool and 18 people per lane. 

So based on the math, if you are fine with squeezing with 184 other people in a pool for an hour, I am sure you can use this math to petition for a price reduction to $0.10 per entry. 

It is possible to reduce the costs to $0.10 per entry, just that you have to share the pool with a lot more people at any given time. 

Trivia: 

An Olympic size pool is 1,250m2 (50m x 25m). Assume a person takes up 0.25m2 space. You can technically fill up to 5,000 people in the pool. Not moving of course, but just standing in the water. 

Love. 

What a lame comparison!

Anyone with Economics 101 would know that if you want to compare value of commodities, you need to adjust to Present Value.

Taking some raw data from 1931..oh come on, even this old uncle wasn't born yet!

If you really want to do some research or whining, do your references from 1980s and observe the trend of pricings of everyday items.. do the sums and come out with some cyclic patterns and/or exponential patterns.  

Actually for a good start, TS, take prices from 2000 and compare with against that of 2017.

That is more scholastic than mere whining.  

If you are still pondering about admission prices of swimming pool, did you not apply for the ACTIVE Singapore package?  They gave out $100 (or was it more with some Facebook likes) to local citizens some year ago.  With that you could have used the facilities a hundred times --- I had my deduction of just 50 cents per visit!

4 hours ago, abang said:

What a lame comparison!

Anyone with Economics 101 would know that if you want to compare value of commodities, you need to adjust to Present Value.

Taking some raw data from 1931..oh come on, even this old uncle wasn't born yet!

If you really want to do some research or whining, do your references from 1980s and observe the trend of pricings of everyday items.. do the sums and come out with some cyclic patterns and/or exponential patterns.  

Actually for a good start, TS, take prices from 2000 and compare with against that of 2017.

That is more scholastic than mere whining.  

If you are still pondering about admission prices of swimming pool, did you not apply for the ACTIVE Singapore package?  They gave out $100 (or was it more with some Facebook likes) to local citizens some year ago.  With that you could have used the facilities a hundred times --- I had my deduction of just 50 cents per visit!

I am a normal singaporean. I am a low wage worker working normal job. I do not know what is economics 101. I am complaining from a view of a nornal singaporean not from a elite person like you. The problem with Singapore and people like you is you think you are so clever and do not think views of people like me count.

10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I am a normal singaporean. I am a low wage worker working normal job. I do not know what is economics 101. I am complaining from a view of a nornal singaporean not from a elite person like you. The problem with Singapore and people like you is you think you are so clever and do not think views of people like me count.

What abang means is that, every year, prices of items and your salary will increase by an amount called inflation. This increase every year is usually an average of 3-4% if we assume a long duration of time from 1931 to 2017. Assuming that inflation has been 3% every year, $0.10 in 1931 will be 0.1*(1.03^86)=$1.30 in 2017. Thus, $1.50 is not crazy.

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I don't think @abang was being elitist. Your views do count except that they are unrealistic. Even without referring to economics 101, it is something you experienced in-person while growing up in Singapore. Assume you started working at a fast food restaurant back in 1990, you may be making $3.50 per hour. Fast-forward to 2017, your starting hourly wage would have been $5.00 per hour. The increase of $1.50 between 1990 and 2017 is the result of adjustment for inflation. Inflation can be caused by multiple factors, including demand and supply. 

Going back to the swimming pool, assume the swimming pool used to pay $5 per hour for a life guard. To fulfill your wish for a 15x Increase in salary, it will costs $75 per hour. A life guard works 10 hours per day, and the swimming pool has 5 lifeguard and the swimming complex has a  monthly total budget of $8,000 for their salaries, which included $500 to cover overtime.

Under the 15x salary increase, it would costs $22,500 per life guard each month, compared to $1,500. With 5 lifeguards, the total costs would be $112, 500 per month. Since the budget is only $8,000 each month for the 5 life guards, the only option for the swimming pool to keep operating without increasing the entrance fee is to have the lifeguards work about 1 day per month each to stay within budget. 

Well instead of complaining from a view of a normal Singaporean, come up with a solution instead on how you think you can reduce the costs of the swimming pool entry to $0.10?

It is much easier to sit on your ass and complain than to really think of a solution that works isn't it? 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:51 AM, Guest Fatty said:

Employ foreigners who ask for lower wages to keep operating cost Low.

yeah, employ foreigners who ask for lower wages to replace you.

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

yeah, employ foreigners who ask for lower wages to replace you.

Well since foreigners are not the solution as they will replace local workers, what do you think the swimming complex can do to reduce the entry costs to $0.10 without impacting the safety, cleanliness, etc. of the swimming complex while increasing the salaries of by 15x?

You've pointed out the problem. So what is your solution? 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Guest Neh Neh

In 1931, going to Swimming pool runs by British white men was a high class recreation for the riches.

Other commoners swim at Kallang river for free!

In modern world if you want to swim free can go East Coast or West Coast.

1 hour ago, doncoin said:

Well since foreigners are not the solution as they will replace local workers, what do you think the swimming complex can do to reduce the entry costs to $0.10 without impacting the safety, cleanliness, etc. of the swimming complex while increasing the salaries of by 15x?

You've pointed out the problem. So what is your solution? 

reduce the Ministers' multimillion dollars salary for a start. Each reduction of one or two  minister salary should be sufficient to operate each pool already. So what's your solution?

Guest Guest Gold Standard

We must remember in the 1930s, the world was on the gold standard and money was literrally equivalent to the price of gold. That's one reason money was so "big" then.

In the 1930s 1 oz of gold was worth about US$30. 3 Straits Dollars was roughly equal to US$1. So 1 oz of gold was worth about $90 Straits dollars. 10cents in 1930s would have been equivalent to 0.001 oz of gold. Today the price of gold is SGD1,800. SGD1.50 would be equal to 0.0008 oz of gold. In that context, it's cheaper to go to the pool today than it was in the 1930s.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Gold Standard said:

We must remember in the 1930s, the world was on the gold standard and money was literrally equivalent to the price of gold. That's one reason money was so "big" then.

In the 1930s 1 oz of gold was worth about US$30. 3 Straits Dollars was roughly equal to US$1. So 1 oz of gold was worth about $90 Straits dollars. 10cents in 1930s would have been equivalent to 0.001 oz of gold. Today the price of gold is SGD1,800. SGD1.50 would be equal to 0.0008 oz of gold. In that context, it's cheaper to go to the pool today than it was in the 1930s.

in other words, we are paid worse than the coolies of 1930?

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

reduce the Ministers' multimillion dollars salary for a start. Each reduction of one or two  minister salary should be sufficient to operate each pool already. So what's your solution?

OK. How many percent do you think the ministers' salary should be reduced to? 

Frankly, there is no real solution to keeping the entry fee at $0.10 while increasing the salaries by 15x. Keep in mind, in the example I had stated, I only included the 15x increase on the lifeguards. What about the cleaning crew, administration etc. Their salaries should go by 15x as well. When you factor in other costs such as utilities, security, etc. You need to keep in mind that their employees' salaries would have gone up by 15x as well. 

A solution to keep the entrance fee at $0.10 is to have more people in the pool and fill the 3 Olympic pools with as many people as possible during the hours of operations. Assuming each pool can fill 5,000 per hour, with 3 pools, the swimming complex makes $1,500 per hour. Since the entry price is good for 2 hours, and the pool operates 12 hours day, the swimming complex can generate $9,000 daily or $270,000 per month, which actually is more than enough for the salaries of the 5 lifeguards with a 15x salary increase but we are not factoring the other costs into the picture. 

So, there is  solution to the $0.10 fee. Just that nobody will be swimming in the pool.

Love. 

OK. How many percent do you think the ministers' salary should be reduced to? 

Frankly, there is no real solution to keeping the entry fee at $0.10 while increasing the salaries by 15x. Keep in mind, in the example I had stated, I only included the 15x increase on the lifeguards. What about the cleaning crew, administration etc. Their salaries should go by 15x as well. When you factor in other costs such as utilities, security, etc. You need to keep in mind that their employees' salaries would have gone up by 15x as well. 

A solution to keep the entrance fee at $0.10 is to have more people in the pool and fill the 3 Olympic pools with as many people as possible during the hours of operations. Assuming each pool can fill 5,000 per hour, with 3 pools, the swimming complex makes $1,500 per hour. Since the entry price is good for 2 hours, and the pool operates 12 hours day, the swimming complex can generate $9,000 daily or $270,000 per month, which actually is more than enough for the salaries of the 5 lifeguards with a 15x salary increase but we are not factoring the other costs into the picture. 

So, there is  solution to the $0.10 fee. Just that nobody will be swimming in the pool.

You are assuming the pool need "$270,000 per month, which actually is more than enough for the salaries of the 5 lifeguards", so you want to squeeze in 5000 people into the pool per hour, resulting in nobody swimming in the pool?  

On 10/20/2017 at 7:09 PM, Guest Guest said:

You are assuming the pool need "$270,000 per month, which actually is more than enough for the salaries of the 5 lifeguards", so you want to squeeze in 5000 people into the pool per hour, resulting in nobody swimming in the pool?  

Exactly the point. 5,000 people squeezed into a pool is not swimming. When you have a fixed number, i.e. costs, you either charge more to break even, or you sell more of the product to break even. However, when you sell more, without properly managing the costs to break even, the quality goes down since the costs of producing the item went up. In this case, the pleasure of swimming in a pool is gone because to cover the costs of operations and salaries of lifeguards, went up, and the pool is unable to charge more to cover the costs. 

Love. 

It is super-OK to pour your grievances and unhappiness over many matters.

I do complain alot but the difference is that I am rational.

If I am (mis)behaving like mad, I will blame the government for not bringing in AMDKs for me.. but I don't associate my preference with the lack of government efforts.  Similarly, there are many things that are beyond the controls of the authorities...

Perhaps the best way is to learn to accept changes graciously in our lives .. yes, things may be cheaper across the Causeway but do you want to compromise it with safety and security?  Read widely and you will realise that medical cost in the US is beyond imagination - as they say, you can die but cannot fall sick.

So instead of lamenting of the GOOD OLD DAYS and whine non-stop how life was then, armed yourself to face the uncertainties of the future.... pick up a new skill, stop walloping yourself in self-pity ..你要想“钱/前“看。。。走出来去面对现实。。人比人,气死人的。。  

Exactly the point. 5,000 people squeezed into a pool is not swimming. When you have a fixed number, i.e. costs, you either charge more to break even, or you sell more of the product to break even. However, when you sell more, without properly managing the costs to break even, the quality goes down since the costs of producing the item went up. In this case, the pleasure of swimming in a pool is gone because to cover the costs of operations and salaries of lifeguards, went up, and the pool is unable to charge more to cover the costs. 

So, again, how did you come up with this assumption of $270,000 monthly operation cost to call for this need of 5,000 patrons? Are you deliberately blowing up this monthly operation costs to justify your excuse? And, are we talking about a public pool or a private pool here? 

https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/outdoor-pools

http://www.centralpark.com/things-to-do/attractions/lasker-pool/

Just for perspective, 1931 is before WW2 and Japanese Occupation. Do we even have singapore dollars then?

Some of our parents are not even born yet.

1.50 for an entry to a decent pool is decent.

It cost more in transportation to get the pool.

Even a pool entry in HK is 17 HKD.

So, again, how did you come up with this assumption of $270,000 monthly operation cost to call for this need of 5,000 patrons? Are you deliberately blowing up this monthly operation costs to justify your excuse? And, are we talking about a public pool or a private pool here? 

On 10/20/2017 at 5:14 PM, doncoin said:

The problem we are trying to solve is how feasible it is to increase salaries by 15x, while keeping the entry fee at $0.10. We are not factoring the other costs in, nor the salaries of other staff but only the salaries of lifeguards.

I assume it is public pools from the first post. 

Love. 

8 hours ago, doncoin said:

The problem we are trying to solve is how feasible it is to increase salaries by 15x, while keeping the entry fee at $0.10. We are not factoring the other costs in, nor the salaries of other staff but only the salaries of lifeguards.

I assume it is public pools from the first post. 

If you already know we are referring to public pools and your question is only "how feasible it is to increase salaries by 15x, while keeping the entry fee at $0.10", It has already been proven feasible in at least these 2 places here:

But the cost of a swimming pool entry is $1.0 on weekdays... $1.30 on weekends? Average 1.085 if you swim daily. So the initial question should have been if wage can increase 10.85 times! :P

Anyway even if I divided by 15 or 10.85 based on my current salary, it sounds like a reasonable amount of pay in the 1930s... I hope it's the same answer for most of you :)

1 minute ago, Guest Guest said:

If you already know we are referring to public pools and your question is only "how feasible it is to increase salaries by 15x, while keeping the entry fee at $0.10", It has already been proven feasible in at least these 2 places here:

Pools are free in NYC because the tax dollars cover for it regardless whether you use the pool or not during the months when they are open. That is why tax rates are higher in NYC than Singapore since the money goes to maintain and sustain many public projects. The reality is the public pools in NYC can be a little gross (read the infamous brown cloud situation) and the facilities are nowhere near what we find in Singapore. 

Most New Yorkers, if they can afford it, will actually swim at the YMCA, or their gym pools (very few have one) versus the city's public pools.

Yes, the pools are free, but that is because the salaries and other operating costs did not go up by 15x and city residents are paying for it via tax. 

Love. 

3 hours ago, doncoin said:

Pools are free in NYC because the tax dollars cover for it regardless whether you use the pool or not during the months when they are open. That is why tax rates are higher in NYC than Singapore since the money goes to maintain and sustain many public projects. The reality is the public pools in NYC can be a little gross (read the infamous brown cloud situation) and the facilities are nowhere near what we find in Singapore. 

Most New Yorkers, if they can afford it, will actually swim at the YMCA, or their gym pools (very few have one) versus the city's public pools.

Yes, the pools are free, but that is because the salaries and other operating costs did not go up by 15x and city residents are paying for it via tax. 

SG is so rich. Can't the government make it free? Tax here tax there..in singapore there are already so many taxes and cost of living is the highest in the world. Please do not tell me we are paying low tax. 

Expensive government housing, yet must pay monthly fee to town council.

Expensive water and electricity

Erp

Coe

Gst

Expensive medical bills

Expensive education fees

Expensive public transport

Expensive food

Expensive milk powder

Expensive alcohol and entertainment

Expensive cable tv

Everything is expensive in sg.

Except our salary is cheap except for ministers.

54 minutes ago, fireblaze_69 said:

Public transport, cable tv not expensive if u consider in absolute terms... gst is not too high either 

Not expensive to you because you earn a high salary. If you do not know, singapore is the most expensive country in the world so please do not tell me public transport and cable tv are cheap.

Guest... Its not a discussion about my salary. Just go to other countries network providers and check their tv prices and contract terms and you'll know... Sounds like you have a lot of angst about living costs... 

Plus I didn't say sg is not expensive. Just pointing out some areas where it is not expensive compared to other countries... 

Edited by fireblaze_69
Plus

11 hours ago, doncoin said:

So, again, If you already know we are referring to public pools and your question is only "how feasible it is to increase salaries by 15x, while keeping the entry fee at $0.10", It has already been proven feasible.

And if you really want to talk about taxation, take a good look at the statistics on disposable income after taxes here, and see who's ranking at number 9 and who at 80. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_price_rankings?itemId=105

Please don't make it sound as if the government lowered the taxes for Singaporean benefits. They only lowered taxes to make this place into tax havens for companies to come in. If one is to consider the CPF as another form of tax (since you don't get to see it, anyway), the amount of money taken out from our salary has never been low at all. So, give me New York anytime, dirty pools or not.

Let's see what more you have to argue about now.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

So, again, If you already know we are referring to public pools and your question is only "how feasible it is to increase salaries by 15x, while keeping the entry fee at $0.10", It has already been proven feasible.

And if you really want to talk about taxation, take a good look at the statistics on disposable income after taxes here, and see who's ranking at number 9 and who at 80. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_price_rankings?itemId=105

Please don't make it sound as if the government lowered the taxes for Singaporean benefits. They only lowered taxes to make this place into tax havens for companies to come in. If one is to consider the CPF as another form of tax (since you don't get to see it, anyway), the amount of money taken out from our salary has never been low at all. So, give me New York anytime, dirty pools or not.

Let's see what more you have to argue about now.

The city has been running red in some areas for a while with funding slashed in those affected. Compared to Singapore, income taxes are still a lot higher in NYC, rounding around 35%. There is no such a thing as CPF here. Instead they have 401K which is privately managed, and depending on your company, some companies will match what you put in, others you have to put in 100% of it yourself. An alternative to 401K is IRA which is capped at $4,000 per year. Also if you make a bonus that year, you are taxed about 50%. I.e. If your bonus is $1,000, your take home is $500. Interests you earned from the bank is also taxable as it is considered bonus income. Granted the way your money is managed is a little more transparent here in the US than Singapore where the CPF can get murky. 

While the numbeo site may be right in stating that New Yorkers have higher disposable incomes compared to Singapore, it is also true that NYC does have a higher costs of living. No doubt Singapore is ranked #1 as the most expensive city to live in, but the Singapore government has ensured to that the majority of the citizens own their own homes versus renting. In NYC, 69% rent versus own. So if you look at the number $4,752, realistically, about $2,400 will be taken up by rent for a studio or $3,400 for 1 bedroom apartment depending on location. Then when you factor in other costs, they add up. NYC has a sales tax of 8.725%. 

Singapore government does make corporate taxes lower to be competitive. It is predominantly a service-based economy, since we manufacture very little. To make Singapore attractive to them, the government has to incentivized companies to set up shop. Usually this is done through tax breaks, but they usually have a limitation, i.e. 10 years. 

The reality with most New Yorkers is when they want access to a pool, they join a gym with pool versus using public pools. Most gym pools are heated and are indoors, so they are open year round, while public pools are not. The free public pools also have limited facilities, i.e. no lockers to store your stuff, and most pools are over 30 years old, if not older. They are not going to be like the ones in Singapore.

My point is it is feasible to keep $0.10 entry but you are going to forego some of the other stuff that makes a pool nice and enjoyable. $1.50 is not bad because when you compare to similar facilities etc. to NYC, you are paying $160 a month. 

Love. 

SG is so rich. Can't the government make it free? Tax here tax there..in singapore there are already so many taxes and cost of living is the highest in the world. Please do not tell me we are paying low tax. 

Expensive government housing, yet must pay monthly fee to town council.

Expensive water and electricity

Erp

Coe

Gst

Expensive medical bills

Expensive education fees

Expensive public transport

Expensive food

Expensive milk powder

Expensive alcohol and entertainment

Expensive cable tv

Everything is expensive in sg.

Except our salary is cheap except for ministers.

Income tax in Singapore is actually relatively low compared to countries like US or some EU countries. Prices go up as the result of demand and supply. It is basic common sense. 

The town council fee, I believe, goes towards maintaining your neighbourhood. I.e. rubbish collection, lift maintenance, fixing the lighting on the corridor, etc. You are consuming these services, so it is fair that you pay a fee to the town council to take care of it? Otherwise who is going to collect the rubbish daily? 

Singapore treats water and has limited fresh water supply, so this is an area where demand is high and supply is low. Same with electricity. Singapore do not have the resources for hydro-electric dam or space for solar farms etc. So prices are subjected to demand and supply. 

GST or VAT is found is most economies around the world. Singapore is still pretty low. 

Medical bills... Singapore does have a more comprehensive health care and insurance system compared to the US with its complications. In the US if you are not getting healthcare insurance through your company, be prepared to pay up to $850 a month out of pocket for health insurance for yourself. If you have a family, the price goes up. 

Education is still pretty affordable in Sg. If you are looking at higher education, i.e. university level, the tuition fees for an Ivy League, i.e. Columbia University is about US$71K. Not sure how much NUS or NTU is. 

Food? You can go to hawker center and spend about $5. In NYC average meal is about US$9. Using the Big Mac index, in the US, the average Big Mac costs US$5.30 while in Singapore it is US$4.06.

Milk Powder- There are no cows in Singapore. or very few who can produce enough milk and other diary products to feed the demand. So they have to be imported. When you factor in shipping and other costs, the price goes up. 

Alcohol is expensive in Singapore. That I totally agree, but it also reduces the number of alcohol related diseases and problems compared to other countries where it is easily accessible. Entertainment I think is expensive too, but it is also partially so many of the acts and performances are imported. 

Expensive cable tv... well you can don't subscribe to it. :) 

Not everything is expensive in Sg. I find airfares relatively cheap in Singapore if traveling nearby. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Just ignore the troll. Guest Guest is obviously unhappy with his life and just wants to blame the system instead of himself. Originally claiming that he does not understand economics, Guest Guest now cites statistics and is able to come up with a cost analysis of swimming pools (albeit a terrible one). Maybe you can save the time spent on trying to come up with terrible rebuttals and use them on continuous education/skillsfuture instead to upgrade your skills and get a better salary to afford more expensive swimming pool entrance fees?

Edited by Genitif

2 minutes ago, Genitif said:

Just ignore the troll. Guest Guest is obviously unhappy with his life and just wants to blame the system instead of himself. Originally claiming that he does not understand economics, Guest Guest now cites statistics and is able to come up with a cost analysis of swimming pools (albeit a terrible one). Maybe you can save the time spent on trying to come up with terrible rebuttals and use them on continuous education/skillsfuture instead to upgrade your skills and get a better salary to afford more expensive swimming pool entrance fees?

Good point. I think my goal was to educate. However, stupidity is invincible. :)

Love. 

6 hours ago, doncoin said:

While the numbeo site may be right in stating that New Yorkers have higher disposable incomes compared to Singapore, it is also true that NYC does have a higher costs of living. No doubt Singapore is ranked #1 as the most expensive city to live in, but the Singapore government has ensured to that the majority of the citizens own their own homes versus renting. In NYC, 69% rent versus own. So if you look at the number $4,752, realistically, about $2,400 will be taken up by rent for a studio or $3,400 for 1 bedroom apartment depending on location. Then when you factor in other costs, they add up. NYC has a sales tax of 8.725%. 

Singapore government has ensured to that the majority of the citizens own their own homes versus renting? But at what expense?? We never really "own" our own homes anyway, majority merely lease it from HDB , and at the expense of paying mortgagee for 40 years until you are 62 years old. 

Singapore government does make corporate taxes lower to be competitive. It is predominantly a service-based economy, since we manufacture very little. To make Singapore attractive to them, the government has to incentivized companies to set up shop. Usually this is done through tax breaks, but they usually have a limitation, i.e. 10 years. 

What a load of bullshit. Singapore government has been keeping taxes low even during our manufacturing days. You are such a liar.

My point is it is feasible to keep $0.10 entry but you are going to forego some of the other stuff that makes a pool nice and enjoyable. $1.50 is not bad because when you compare to similar facilities etc. to NYC, you are paying $160 a month. 

GOOD! SO IT IS INDEED FEASIBLE TO KEEP $0.10 ENTRY. MY POINT HAS BEEN PROVEN.

5 hours ago, doncoin said:

Good point. I think my goal was to educate. However, stupidity is invincible. :)

Your goal was never to educate, your goal was just to argue argue argue. And if stupidity is invincible, you sure are an INVINCIBLE LIAR.

18 hours ago, fireblaze_69 said:

Guest... Its not a discussion about my salary. Just go to other countries network providers and check their tv prices and contract terms and you'll know... Sounds like you have a lot of angst about living costs... 

Plus I didn't say sg is not expensive. Just pointing out some areas where it is not expensive compared to other countries... 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Singapore government has ensured to that the majority of the citizens own their own homes versus renting? But at what expense?? We never really "own" our own homes anyway, majority merely lease it from HDB , and at the expense of paying mortgagee for 40 years until you are 62 years old. 

What a load of bullshit. Singapore government has been keeping taxes low even during our manufacturing days. You are such a liar.

Your goal was never to educate, your goal was just to argue argue argue. And if stupidity is invincible, you sure are an INVINCIBLE LIAR.

Hello? Are you ignoring me or just picking on someone? Lol

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Why are you so angry? If you want to be right then by all means be right or feel that Singapore and the world at large is against you. There is a difference between an argument and a discussion. I was discussing, and challenging your thought process so as to understand why you feel and think the world owes you a $0.10 entry to the swimming pool. There is no right or wrong. Just logic and facts and figures to back your position.

If you feel you are entitled to a 10 cent pool entry by all means take action and rally support to make it happen. Complaining on BW is not going to change the costs. Work out an action plan and convince people to back you. Look at campaigns on change.org or Kickstarter and see how they convince people to back their cause. 

If it makes you feel better, I will apologize publicly for ruffling your feathers since i5 is clear you cannot differentiate the difference between discussion and argument. I was wrong to have assume that you are intellectually capable. It was an oversight on my part. I should have known better. I will make a point not to point out your shortcomings again.  My apologies. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

everything cheap except these..............

List of salaries of heads of state and government

State Head of state (USD) Head of government (USD)
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png Algeria 168,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Angola.svg.png Angola 60,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 130,000 (President)[2]
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia 425,000 (Governor-General) 507,340 (Prime Minister)[3]
23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria 367,000 (President)  
23px-Flag_of_Bangladesh.svg.png Bangladesh   17,500 (Prime Minister)
23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png Belarus 33,600 (President)[4]  
17px-Flag_of_Belgium.svg.png Belgium   148,450 (Prime Minister)[4]
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil 120,000 (President)[5]
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada   296,400 (Prime Minister)[3]
23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile 180,000 (President)
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 22,000 (President)[6]  
23px-Flag_of_the_Comoros.svg.png Comoros 408,000 (President)[1]  
20px-Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_ Congo, Democratic Republic of the 110,000 (President)[1]  
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark 11,350,744 (Queen)[7] 174,351 (Prime Minister)[4]
23px-Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg. Dominican Republic 120,000 (President)[8]  
23px-Flag_of_Ecuador.svg.png Ecuador 75,132 (President)[9]  
23px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png Egypt 70,400 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland 190,000 (President)[3] 154,000 (Prime Minister)[10]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 194,300 (President)[5] 200,000 (Prime Minister)
20px-Flag_of_Gabon.svg.png Gabon 65,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_The_Gambia.svg.png Gambia, The 65,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 240,933 (President)[11] 299,784 (Chancellor)[11]
23px-Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png Ghana 76,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 154,739(President)[4]  
23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png Hong Kong 591,000 (Chief Executive)[4]
23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Hungary   65,000 (Prime Minister)
21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 191,000 (President) 115,000 (Prime Minister)
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 28,000 (President) 30,000 (Prime Minister)[5]
23px-Flag_of_Indonesia.svg.png Indonesia 124,171 (President)
23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland 340,000 (President)[3] 209,000 (Prime Minister)[12]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 275,147 (President)[5] 131,608 (Prime Minister)[4]
23px-Flag_of_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire.svg.pn Ivory Coast 100,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan   202,700 (Prime Minister)[5]
23px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png Kenya 132,000 (President)[3][1]  
23px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png Liberia 90,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Libya.svg.png Libya 105,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Luxembourg.svg.png Luxembourg   340,000 (Prime Minister)[3]
23px-Flag_of_Maldives.svg.png Maldives 78074.17 (President)
23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico 148,000 (President)
23px-Flag_of_Namibia.svg.png Namibia 99,241 (President)[13] 76,339 (Prime Minister)[13]
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 6,082,736 (King)[14] 170,000 (Prime Minister)[3]
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand   325,546 (Prime Minister)[3]
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway 100,000  
23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png Philippines 120,000 (President)
23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal   58,680 (Prime Minister)[4]
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Romania 61,296 (President)[15] 61,296 (Prime Minister)[15]
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 136,000 (President)[5]  
23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png Rwanda 85,000 (President)[1]  
23px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png Singapore 1,540,000 (President)[16] 2,200,000 (Prime Minister)[3]
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa 223,500 (President)[5]  
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea 187,000 (President)[3]  
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 260,000 (King)[17] 78,185 (Prime Minister)[4]
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden   220,000 (Prime Minister)
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 507,000 (President)[18] 495,000 (Federal Council)[19]
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 197,400 (President)[5]  
23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 94,000 (President)[4]  
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 42,800,000 (Queen)[20] 214,800 (Prime Minister)[5]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 400,000 (President)
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png Uruguay 12,500 (President)[4]  
23px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.png Venezuela 24,570 (President)[21]  

On 17/10/2017 at 7:33 AM, Guest Guest said:

Most people like you only remember how price increased. Have you also recalled that salary increased a lot too? Back in 1931 how much is the median salary per month? I Guess maybe $200? Now it's $4000 man!

• Guest locked this topic