Male HQ

Discussion on getting a Domestic Maid (compiled)

Guest Gay Maid looking for hire

13 hours ago, jason said:

Hi,

I intend to hire a maid to take care of my eldery mum. Any of the bros here who have experienced in hiring maids could advise:-

a. what is the market price for indonesian, myanmar and pinoy maids ?

b. is agent fee a ONE time payment ? or every time I change maid, have to pay agent fee ?

c. can maid levy be lesser or even waive ? if waive, under what circumstances ?

d. is it true that most maids DO NOT get paid for a few months until they have paid off their `loans' to their respective countries agent ?

e. is it the employer have to buy health insurance for maid ?

f. the employer have to buy airtickets for maid return trip even though it is for her home visit (i.e own vacation)?

I would like to add one more point.  Ensure the maid you are going to hire is not anti-gay, otherwise you will have difficulty making her do the work and she will take advantage of your softness.

Guest Lulwut
50 minutes ago, Guest Gay Maid looking for hire said:

I would like to add one more point.  Ensure the maid you are going to hire is not anti-gay, otherwise you will have difficulty making her do the work and she will take advantage of your softness.

Gay = soft? 

Guest guest

each has their advantage and disadvantage. For pina, advantage is they can speak english better, but they are more arrogant and can have bad attidtude and give trouble. For indonesian, may be a bit cheaper, but language barrier if u are not malay, and they also cannot eat pork, plus u run the risk of drinking their menstrual blood in coffee/soup. Indonesian maids are known for their black magic

I was brought up in an almost religious (Roman Catholic) ground and I took up all the good virtues from my mom.  Of course I strayed ..But that is best not discussed here.

Communication and mutual respect are very important.  My mother actually cared for the mental state of my kakak... My mom went all the way by giving her own money (from me lah) to the kakak on her day-off.

They never had BIG quarrels , just minor ones when my mom refused to eat her meals...Kakak was patient with her...She bribed my mom with curry puffs and otah...

Enjoy the services that a little money can buy...More seriously let your mom live pleasantly before her..... Departure...

• 3 weeks later...

Since the title is on the topic of getting a maid. I was thinking if a gay couple staying tgt. Both dun like to do housework. Do u think is appropriate to get a maid. U know all the inconvenience when both of u wanna have time tgt. For the maid to live alone with 2 guys even is gay she also felt danger. So how?  Is there guy maid ahhaha

On 02/04/2017 at 8:24 AM, jason said:

thanks for the many advices

how do you pay the maid salary ? cash or transfer to their bank account ?

reason asking as I am afraid they would claim they are not paid if I pay by cash.

Normally agents will give you the Maidas P file. There's a form for her to sign every month when you pay her. Especially so when you pay her in cash.

For my advice, interview the Maid you think are alright with Skype. Request from your agent for it. Have had really bad experience with Nation the Maid Agency. Got a Myanmar Maid from them and it was horrible. Not going into details about it, but it seems like she was paid to come Singapore for vacation. 

Using back my previous agent now, he's not the cheapest, but his service and follow ups are really good and prompt. 

Do your research for the various agencies before you engage them.

I was advised by him that normally for elderly, get Indo maids as generally they're Much more stronger if heavy lifting is required.

Last but not least, actually when employing Maid, it's like a lucky draw, every country's Maid have good ones and bad ones. Despite what many others said about Filipino maids, I had a good one before. Too bad she had to go back to her country to take care of her kids. Really have to interview them properly and make sure to ask as much questions as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi bros, thanks for all the advices. As my family dont cook and we pack lunches and dinners, how much should i give the maid for daily lunches ? As she is a pinoy, usually they take rice. Will $3 be enough for a packet of economy rice at HDB coffee shops?

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, jason said:

Hi bros, thanks for all the advices. As my family dont cook and we pack lunches and dinners, how much should i give the maid for daily lunches ? As she is a pinoy, usually they take rice. Will $3 be enough for a packet of economy rice at HDB coffee shops?

If you have the maid, won't it make more economical sense for you to get her to do the cooking now, instead of asking her to buy her own meals?

• 1 month later...
Guest STRESS

does any of your parents have issues or find faults with maids ? my dad is an example as he doesnt trust maids and always finding fault. I have already sent off the 1st maid who worked less than 2 weeks. She was hardworking but just that dad horoscope doesnt match hers, though there were not argument with her. I forsee the old man will do likewise for the 2nd maid.

Any of you encounter such situation before ? I am very stressed stuck in between dad and maid.

53 minutes ago, Guest STRESS said:

does any of your parents have issues or find faults with maids ? my dad is an example as he doesnt trust maids and always finding fault. I have already sent off the 1st maid who worked less than 2 weeks. She was hardworking but just that dad horoscope doesnt match hers, though there were not argument with her. I forsee the old man will do likewise for the 2nd maid.

Any of you encounter such situation before ? I am very stressed stuck in between dad and maid.

I think what you need is to hire an astrologer first before hiring a helper to make sure the stars align with your father's. As a precaution, hire Chinese, and Western (Zodiac) astrologers to cover both ends. 

Love. 

• 6 months later...

Just recently hired a maid and would like to seek some advise from brothers here who have a maid. Both my parents are in their 80s and the maid main duty is to take care of my mum eg. transferring her around in wheelchair, bathing, feeding her and washing her clothes etc. Other jobs include vacumn and mop the floor once a week. My family just comprise of 3 persons (parents and myself as I do not have siblings). For lunches and dinners are mostly packet. She is paid $630 a month (basic $570 + $60 compensate for 3 no day offs, she gets 1 day off a month). I am thinking whether I should ask her to cook. Basically, she just need to cook dinner on alternate days for myself and hers only. Mum is tube-fed while dad prefers to eat out and chit chat with his friends in coffeshops.

Am I asking her too much to cook simple meals (mainly steam veg, meat or just a pot of veg soup with meat/fishballs) and rice ? I am not a fussy person when comes to eating. In order not to `stress' her too much, I am thinking that after meals, she will do the washing and I help to dry the cooking pots, utensils etc.

This thought came to my mind as I'm afraid that sometimes these maids will feel that they are being exploited  for such little pay and I'm also afraid that they will resort  to harm my aged parents esp. my mum eg. putting things into her food/water/medicines.

The maid has been with us for half a year since Jul 2017. Aug - Oct mum was hospitalised and I was unable to ask her to cook other than do simple house chores.

Hope to get some advise here. Thanks and wish all Best Wishes in 2018!

geee, i didn't realise your maid got so much restriction ?

my previous maid do everything from taking my dad (bathing and changing diaper) cleaning ,cooking and massage too.

i recall i pay much cheaper without any off day $450 and levy.

she complaint to me about my brother kids naughty, so i help to spank the kid on behalf of her.

she complaint my mum alway scold her for useless - so i help her to ask my mum to shut up.

i guess she appreciate it but work until her contract expire...gave her a big angpow cash for her.

my advice - u must exert some authority especially she collect salary.

there no such thing to stress her up, u must learn to delegate her work and also consider her welfare.

sometime they are slow doesn't mean stupid or lazy - is culture stuff

You pay a slave $630 a month. What do you expect. Will you expect to work full time 29days a week $630 a month? Did you provide annual leave? Medical? Allowance and so on? Does she work 44 hr a week? You pay OT?

You should be paying her market rates with full benifits. 

Our government must step in.

Oops this is a rather long message...

Skip this if you don't need a maid..

To infuse new cooking duties gradually, bring her to the nearby markets or supermarket.  Tell her to pick the food she would like to cook and eat herself.

Observe how she handles your cookware.  Making sure she knows how to use the cookers, kettles, microwave and conventional ovens.  Dont laugh..my precious domestic helper had not used a rice cooker nor the ovens her entire life.  She will definitely appreciate your generosity in teaching her.

Compliments the aroma of her food whenever possible.  Slowly show her how Chinese food is prepared..Such as stewed chicken, stir fry veg's etc.. let her observe your method of cooking...And when she understands, I doubt she will refuse to chip in...  Take your time when giving her cooking tips...

Most importantly be mindful of religious taboo. What you and your family eats, she have the same food...

After all, a. Happy maid is better than an unhappy one...By the way, you must give presents for Christmas and birthdays...Red packets for CNY and green packets for hari raya..

One last thing, you must set aside money for household stuff like toilet paper, detergent etc...Tell her that she can use the money to buy her feminine stuff too... Be kind to her...

34 minutes ago, abang said:

Oops this is a rather long message...

Skip this if you don't need a maid..

To infuse new cooking duties gradually, bring her to the nearby markets or supermarket.  Tell her to pick the food she would like to cook and eat herself.

Observe how she handles your cookware.  Making sure she knows how to use the cookers, kettles, microwave and conventional ovens.  Dont laugh..my precious domestic helper had not used a rice cooker nor the ovens her entire life.  She will definitely appreciate your generosity in teaching her.

Compliments the aroma of her food whenever possible.  Slowly show her how Chinese food is prepared..Such as stewed chicken, stir fry veg's etc.. let her observe your method of cooking...And when she understands, I doubt she will refuse to chip in...  Take your time when giving her cooking tips...

Most importantly be mindful of religious taboo. What you and your family eats, she have the same food...

After all, a. Happy maid is better than an unhappy one...By the way, you must give presents for Christmas and birthdays...Red packets for CNY and green packets for hari raya..

One last thing, you must set aside money for household stuff like toilet paper, detergent etc...Tell her that she can use the money to buy her feminine stuff too... Be kind to her...

Please. Pay her a decent wage..like $8.00 per hour. If you make her work 12 hours a day, do pay her $3500 a month with OT. All these be kind, gifts will not fill your tummy. This isbthe problem with singapore. We turn a blind eye to such issues of modern slavery.

7 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Please. Pay her a decent wage..like $8.00 per hour. If you make her work 12 hours a day, do pay her $3500 a month with OT. All these be kind, gifts will not fill your tummy. This isbthe problem with singapore. We turn a blind eye to such issues of modern slavery.

$3500 for a maid? Which cty u from? Obviously u dun understand the standard practice in this region.

1 minute ago, Saggiboy said:

$3500 for a maid? Which cty u from? Obviously u dun understand the standard practice in this region.

I am true blue Singaporean. What standard practice?? You willing to work 7 days a week for a monthly paybof $630?

13 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I am true blue Singaporean. What standard practice?? You willing to work 7 days a week for a monthly paybof $630?

So u paying ur maid $3500? Like that everyone also wanna work for u as maid. No more cleaners to sweep the streets, coffee shop, etc!

anyway, u r a guest, no profile. No credibility in ur comments. For all we know, r u probably a foreign worker working here as a maid!

Edited by Saggiboy

My maid wash, feed ,wheel my to n from washroom ,accompany her to dialysis ctr,clean the house , wash clothes n cooks. All this for $590. She is my BEST maid .Whenever we go for meal outside she is being treated as well. My festival n hers will get new dress for her and angpow. She is enjoying her life here n imagine i gave time off to rebond her hair . Sadly her contract gonna end n she insists to go back her hometown. Gotta get a new maid. Very very sad infact.

42 minutes ago, Saggiboy said:

So u paying ur maid $3500? Like that everyone also wanna work for u as maid. No more cleaners to sweep the streets, coffee shop, etc!

anyway, u r a guest, no profile. No credibility in ur comments. For all we know, r u probably a foreign worker working here as a maid!

I have no maid as i am not rich. I do not live in a mansion only in hdb..

Please use your brain lah...what cleaners to sweep ghe streets...those cleaners work 12 hours 7 days a week? 

You do not have money do not show off by emoloying a maid.

19 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I have no maid as i am not rich. I do not live in a mansion only in hdb..

Please use your brain lah...what cleaners to sweep ghe streets...those cleaners work 12 hours 7 days a week? 

You do not have money do not show off by emoloying a maid.

No wonder, that explains where u from and wat u r. A troll. 

1 hour ago, Saggiboy said:

No wonder, that explains where u from and wat u r. A troll. 

And you find it ok to pay someone $620 a month to work 29 out of 30 days a month, 12 hrs or more a day with no paid leave and medical is ok in 2017?

You have not answer my question. Will you accept a job with such salary and working conditions? 

20 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Well as I don't want to reply to you directly, may I stand in line to be your domestic helper..With salary of $3500

29 minutes ago, abang said:

Well as I don't want to reply to you directly, may I stand in line to be your domestic helper..With salary of $3500

Why you so kaypoh when that is not replied to you? Don't you read I am not rich and do not have a maid. You want to be rich, than pay people a decent wage. And please..you expect us to believe you will be will8ng to work everyday of the week exxept 1 day off, no ph, no al, no medical, 12 hrs a day for $3.5k? Dun tok cock. Kay pooh kia.

Hmmmmm... Sounds like a Filipino masquerading as a "TRUE BLUE" Singaporean here. Otherwise we have Jolovan Wham or his kaki fighting for the privileges of Migrant Workers here in this forum. 

22 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Hmmmmm... Sounds like a Filipino masquerading as a "TRUE BLUE" Singaporean here. Otherwise we have Jolovan Wham or his kaki fighting for the privileges of Migrant Workers here in this forum. 

Do not mudsling Jolovan. I am a true blue singaporean from 100% singaporean parents. I am a pure bred singaporean. Born and raised in Singapore. Do not slander my reputation.

Than you must be a pay and pay supporter. Opposition supporters will not stand for this or any policies set by pap! 

I am speaking from the viewpoint for an ex employer of a domestic helpher.  I am quite puzzled by the remarks from those who had never engaged one before.

Dont understand why some forum users here are full of angst and making this subject matter very political.

We need domestic helpers to look after our aged parents.  We offer them an agreeable  wage that could be 3 to 5 times what they will probably get at home.  Not forgetting, they are not paying rent nor food.  Treat them with respect and they will be loyal to you.  

For those who had never had the responsibility of employing one before, shut the fuck up.  We don't need you to comment on how we treat our helper.

Do allow me to share my perspective as an ex-employer of maids.

Maids salary is about 600 per month, depending on which country your maid is from. For some countries, there’s a minimum amount. The salary excludes the cost of lodging, insurance, medical and food that you provide. If you include all these, it will work out easily to about 1800 per month (assuming lodging is about 600 and food is about 300, and the rest making up the difference). I gave her a 2-week break to visit her aging parents yearly and gave her a 10% increment after her first contract. There is no “law” per se about such breaks or increment but as an employer, you pay with your head and reward with your heart and gratitude. For the latter, it is different from what business do - reward guided by P&L.

For me a maid is a necessity and I started employing one when I eventually couldn’t manage on my own as my mum had dementia and I had to work. To mitigate financial constraints, my siblings chipped in for the salary. When my mums dementia deteriorated, I send her to the daycare center and my maid followed along daily to look after her.

Do treat your maid like how you’d treat any other human - with dignity and respect. Guide them well and they will reciprocate in kind with the same, hard work and much more. See things from their viewpoint and you will understand the challenges they face being removed from their home and culture. Help them assimilate into our environment. Not everything can be measured in monetary terms, eg for my late Mum (who weighs 86kg), without my asking nor was it stated in her contract, my maid would carry her from the wheelchair to the car when her legs are weak after a Long hospital stay. She insisted I don’t help as I have a history of slipped disc. After some time, a maid is like a family member. 

My maid left midway into her second contract after my Mum passed away. She mourned the loss just like any other of my family member and she continued keeping contact after leaving.

Edited by raind

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

singaporeans always target Filipinos in everywhere i dont know why they can just move on their hatred. sad life.

5 hours ago, abang said:

Don't ever call me a Kay poh Kia...Cos you are the only one who talks cock here

Because you are..you said you will be willing to work as a domestic helper for $3500 a month. Working conditions are the same...12 hrs shift or more a day, 1 day off a week, no bonus, no medical, no AL and so on. You said you will stand in line to be my domestic helper. Knowing very well I said I am not rich and do not need a maid.

So why am I talking cock where you pay your maid $600plus a month because you need a maid to look after your mom? Your problem can justify paying your maid to earn $600 a month?

This is the end of my exchange of words with the frivolous pauper who is seriously lacking in academic materials and brain matters.  Perhaps it is better for us as Sane employers to stop affirming their superb lack of information.  Allow them to dwell in their pitiful self indulgence..

Time for us to kick back and savour the better things in our lives.  World Peace...

• 6 months later...
Guest guest

I’d like to get some advise on maids.

My current maid is on a 2 year contract (July 2017 – July 2019). She has been with us now for 1 year. However, she mentioned that she’d need to return to her home in Nov 2018 to celebrate her mother’s 90 year old birth (don’t know if its true). She ever mentioned that she’d like to extend after her 2 year contract (who knows if she keeps her word??) expires in July 2019 and she `promise’’ will not return home from July –  Dec 2019 if I granted her favour to go home in Nov 2018.

Questions

If they have not complete 2 years contract and wish to return home, who will pay her airtickets ? Employer ?

Do I need to pay her salary for those days she’s on vacation ?

If maid decides to extend before her contract expires in July 2019, can MOM renew her work permit ?

Is it after contract expires, the maid must return to her home country first then return as re-employment ? can she choose not to return ?

Before the current maid leaves Singapore, let’s say I’ve found a new maid, can MOM process the new maid’s work permit ?

If maid extend, how much montly pay increment for Pinoy maid ? $20, $30, $50 per month ?

• G_M changed the title to Question about Domestic maids
Guest Guest

1 maid pays for this time assuming she comes back

2 vacation salary depends on you

3 you can ask your agent to extend her contract while she is still in SG

4 you can find a replacement and terminate her permit after

5 $50?

** be careful dont trust their story 100%

9 hours ago, Guest guest said:

My current maid is on a 2 year contract (July 2017 – July 2019). She has been with us now for 1 year. However, she mentioned that she’d need to return to her home in Nov 2018 to celebrate her mother’s 90 year old birth (don’t know if its true). She ever mentioned that she’d like to extend after her 2 year contract (who knows if she keeps her word??) expires in July 2019 and she `promise’’ will not return home from July –  Dec 2019 if I granted her favour to go home in Nov 2018.

Questions

If they have not complete 2 years contract and wish to return home, who will pay her airtickets ? Employer ?

If maid decides to extend before her contract expires in July 2019, can MOM renew her work permit ?

Is it after contract expires, the maid must return to her home country first then return as re-employment ? can she choose not to return ?

Before the current maid leaves Singapore, let’s say I’ve found a new maid, can MOM process the new maid’s work permit ?

If maid extend, how much montly pay increment for Pinoy maid ? $20, $30, $50 per month ?

If it's her own vacation, I don't think you'll need to go to the extend of paying her vacation, however that really depends on how good your relationship with the maid. 

Not sure of some of the points made by you but you can check out the following link:

https://www.helperchoice.com/singapore/employer-need-domestic-helper

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-permit-for-foreign-domestic-worker/employers-guide/contracts-and-safety-agreement

Will you be my valentine's? :D

Guest Guest
11 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Questions

This is problem with enploying female maids!! Woman are calculating and bear grudges! They are also manupilative and coniving! They also love to gossip and badmouth you.

I strongly urge you to not employ female maids or employee. I had also forgo going to places like ntuc or sheng shiong as their female auntie cashier love to gossip about me. Whenever I go places like polyclinic I always insist to be served by male nurse and male doctors.

Guest John
12 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Questions

Ask your agent lah , what are they there for , esp when u paid agent fees 

They are the proper channel right, instead u come here and ask and solicit , all the "i think" answer 

Guest Guest
11 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Questions

When you take mrt to work, your boss pay your mrt fare? Will your boss give you additional annual leave? You garuntee every year got pay increase? If yes by how many percent? Please note you had also gave free housing, free food, free use of electricity and water. 

If I were you, i will increase her salary by $50.00 but I will charge her usage of electricity and water. She also have to provide her own food and lodging.

I have heard few cases regarding them wanting to go home after 1yr of service with all sort of reason...(eg, family members getting married, daughter/son graduate, etc).

Its really depends on your trust between you and the helper.(just pay for her air-tickets, rather than getting a new helper to replace her).

** if you refused, most likely you will see some attitude change frm your helper...:doh:

As for the extension, of just 6months (july to dec) ;)..no point doing the extension (you still need to apply a 2yrs work permit and insurance), might as well get a new helper.

Guest Guest
8 minutes ago, xavier98 said:

I have heard few cases regarding them wanting to go home after 1yr of service with all sort of reason...(eg, family members getting married, daughter/son graduate, etc).

Its really depends on your trust between you and the helper.(just pay for her air-tickets, rather than getting a new helper to replace her).

** if you refused, most likely you will see some attitude change frm your helper...:doh:

As for the extension, of just 6months (july to dec) ;)..no point doing the extension (you still need to apply a 2yrs work permit and insurance), might as well get a new helper.

This is bad work attitude! Also you have to watch that they do not have boyfriend in sg! Manybwear tight sexy cloths to seduce blangla on their days off. Have you seen singpost center on a sunday??? Government must do something about this and not just take million dollar salary!

Your maid, or rather domestic helper is entitled to take vacation. It is the same as any other job. Imagine if your boss does the same thing to you, whereby if you take a vacation, or leave, you are not paid. Would you still want to work for this person? Or as some pointed out, you get an increase in salary, but the boss charges you for using the desk at work, electricity, etc.? 

If your maid has been performing her tasks and you have no complains or concerns with the quality of work, it wouldn't hurt to be the nice employer and give her what she wants. She renegades on her word, take it a lesson, and you do not have to deal with her again. If she keeps her word, comes back, you know you have someone who is trustworthy and dependent. Why create a hostile work environment? 

Love. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

If my maid has completed her 2 years contract and her job attitude is good, how much to increase her monthly pay ? anyone can share your experience ? thanks

Guest Paya Lebar MRT Maid

There are many cases .... where they want to go home for all sorts of excuses.  Once you let her got, she will never return.  Of course, there are REAL cases.  So, you take the bet.  You don’t have to buy air ticket for her or pay her to go home. Just pay her salary and get her to sign to acknowledge she collected her last pay.  If she returns, she will return. If no, go to maid agency to find a new one.  

If she decided to go home, better let her go. Or, she will play prank to let you give her up yourself. They are smart, don’t underestimate them.

• Guest locked and locked this topic
  • 7 months later...
Guest Sebastian

I Will relocate in Singapore for a longer period this time and thinking of getting a maid. I need a good suggestion which to hire.

It depends on your needs; do you need a live-in 24 by 7 one? If no, for part-timers, do you prefer a male or female maid? 

For me, as I am physically healthy, I will not want a live-in maid. Part-timers work best for me. And as I am more comfortable with a male one, I got one through BW thread. 

• G_M changed the title to Discussion on getting a Domestic Maid (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.