Male HQ

Gay Stereotypes - Dangerous ones

tomcat

i am not particularly disturbed by most gay stereotypes.
however, as much as masculinity does not define preference,

i think getting dick from a sissy top would be a bit uncoventional.

but lately, there is a stereotype that i do find troubling.
because of White Party, Song Kran and other circuits/cruises/events 

even straight people think ALL gay guys are party animals.

"eh, why you never go countdown in bkk?

all my other gay friends going! see them cheong-ing already!"

in reality, only a section of the community

actually partake in the sex/party/drug lifestyle.

what are some other stereotypes that you have been subjected to?

are they all silly fun, or like #circuitlife, can some of them actually be damaging?

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Stereotypes of any group of people can be dangerous and misleading because it is not an accurate representative of the group. While the party boys get the most attention, not every gay guy goes to them. Just as not every gay guy is fashionable, not every gay guy has a to die for body. 

The stereotypes I have been subjected to were I play the violin, am great at maths have a tiny penis/ must be bottom. 

Circuit parties can be fun, if you have a group of friends that you can go together and just have a good time. Taking illegal substances is a personal choice. 

Love. 

Ehh, it's mostly straight (and a few other gay people) jumping to conclusions because that's what they all know about. You can't exactly blame them for not knowing all the time, but it takes a while for them to think otherwise. Most of the time, a lot of people are highlighting the clubbing, sex and drugs because that's what they're been told most of the time, and then the stereotype would seep out and a lot of people will assume it being so.

That's why you kinda have to simply tell them that sometimes it's not the case because of personal reasons and whatnot. Either way, these stereotypes aren't exactly harmful, it's how you take the stereotype from people who doesn't really know about the community, whether you're genuinely offended or not.

I'm only offended about the racial preferences, but other than that, that's it really.

14 hours ago, micrhoid said:

Ehh, it's mostly straight (and a few other gay people) jumping to conclusions because that's what they all know about. You can't exactly blame them for not knowing all the time, but it takes a while for them to think otherwise. Most of the time, a lot of people are highlighting the clubbing, sex and drugs because that's what they're been told most of the time, and then the stereotype would seep out and a lot of people will assume it being so.

That's why you kinda have to simply tell them that sometimes it's not the case because of personal reasons and whatnot. Either way, these stereotypes aren't exactly harmful, it's how you take the stereotype from people who doesn't really know about the community, whether you're genuinely offended or not.

I'm only offended about the racial preferences, but other than that, that's it really.

My favourite way to counter them is to bring up literally any straight war criminal.

"Omg gays all go club and take drugs and have promiscuous sex one! Bad influence!"
"Ya lor, ya lor. Like that one guy, Hitler? He do genocide leh! Tiagong he's a straight guy you know! So scary." 

• Guest locked this topic