Male HQ

If you are buying an expensive watch for the first time, what would it be?

DrKartist

Good question. I guess quality, aesthetics, functionality and legacy are the main choosing criteria for the watch below. I would swap out the metal bracelet for leather strap to give it an even more vintage look and a much more formal (i..e Black Tie event) feel to it in my personal opinion.

JLC Master Chronograph (http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/sg/en/watches/master/master-chronograph/1538171.html)

1344952.png.crop.1000.high.png

17 minutes ago, Cernunnos said:

Good question. I guess quality, aesthetics, functionality and legacy are the main choosing criteria for the watch below. I would swap out the metal bracelet for leather strap to give it an even more vintage look and a much more formal (i..e Black Tie event) feel to it in my personal opinion.

JLC Master Chronograph (http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/sg/en/watches/master/master-chronograph/1538171.html)

1344952.png.crop.1000.high.png

I don't really fancy leather straps personally as I believe that metal or steel bracelet lasts longer. You are right though that leather straps looks better with formal wear.

tumblr_ney41r8VsL1rc13aso2_500.gif.6b4cd0f19156729ba89885c999b5c873.gif

3 hours ago, DrKartist said:

I have been eyeing the Rolex Submariner 116610LV for some time. It has even a nickname - Rolex Hulk! :D

If you have the means to acquire an exquisite timepiece, what would it be? Any thoughts? 

4337003b.jpg

I prefer the Rolex "Batman" compared to the hulk, I love the blue and black bezel. This "hulk" looks good too, maybe the green resonates with the colour of US dollars perhaps? :D

2 minutes ago, Sibelius said:

I prefer the Rolex "Batman" compared to the hulk, I love the blue and black bezel. This "hulk" looks good too, maybe the green resonates with the colour of US dollars perhaps? :D

Yes, the Batman is another great looking watch. :clap:

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_ney41r8VsL1rc13aso2_500.gif.6b4cd0f19156729ba89885c999b5c873.gif

If budget allowed (and you mean really expensive), then go for A. Lange and Sohne. If you just want the classic look without the chronograph function then the Saxonia Moonphase would be the best choice. Classic, timeless and holding its resell value.

On 1/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, NE-STR said:

I think this fits the bill as well...

Rolex-Daytona-8.jpg

This model is Solid white gold model.. lol!

Hulk and Batman is a good choice for entry level, almost look the same, but Hulk is diving watch, while Batman is GMT.
Personally I like hulk more.
Anyhow, new Daytona launched last year with cerachrome, which I love the most. =)

On 07/01/2018 at 1:25 PM, DrKartist said:

I have been eyeing the Rolex Submariner 116610LV for some time. It has even a nickname - Rolex Hulk! :D

If you have the means to acquire an exquisite timepiece, what would it be? Any thoughts? 

4337003b.jpg

Over time can't go wrong with Rolex sports. Their value always appreciate. 

My choice would be the Franck Muller Giga-Tourbillon in rose gold with diamond

giga-tourbillon-rose-gold-full-diamond-p8596-14336_image.jpg

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

20 minutes ago, Cernunnos said:

Going to cost a lot of money while having not much returns in terms of value unless the main objective is never to use it as a value piece but a personal piece.

nah ... not buying it as an investment piece ... just a thing of beauty.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/product/

^I like its understated elegance and timeless chronograph design. I have a Rolex too but I don't want to come across as too flashy or show-y to my customers/colleagues lest they think I'm doing boomtown Charlie business.

If it's the first time you're buying an expensive watch, though, you might want to consider something slightly lower down the line like Tissot, Tag Heur, or Bell & Ross then gradually progress up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Since we're at it. I have plans to get the rolex oyster perpetual 39 in the new black dial.

Budget is around there, was also looking at the Tudor black bay 41.

Looking for an everyday piece, preferb something slimmer in profile, not too chunky.

Any models i should also be looking at?

Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-39-ref-114300-Black-Dial.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just sharing...

got a new yatch master in 2003. 

sadly it did not appre but deppre - can only fetch slightly less than 70% of the purchased price.

what i wish to share is, if i have the chance to do it again i will save up the doughs and invest in property , low to mid risk investments or simply go for a holiday. :)

Edited by Tampenises
typo

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, Tampenises said:

just sharing...

sadly it did not appre but deppre - can only fetch slightly less than 70% of the purchased price.

what i wish to share is, if i have the chance to do it again i will save up the doughs and invest in property , low to mid risk investments or simply go for a holiday. :)

For Rolex, the only worth watches getting new is the Steel Daytona, the other model, just go pre-owned..

But of coz, if you are keeping the watch for life and not selling then.. you can also buy new ba..at least the papers/ warranty card will reflect your name and date of purchase. 

On 7/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, Tampenises said:

just sharing...

Watches should never be used as investment pieces. As you mentioned, proper investments in stable stocks or properties are better.

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, 66xing99 said:

Is it true that the price of Rolex watches increase yearly so in a way it is a form of small investments? And certain models are sold out and there's a long waiting list.

I'm thinking of buying one for the first time. Any advice?

It increases along with the increase of the retail pricing of the new watches. 

The values of Old watches doesn't increase per se.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

I received a Rolex watch at work, and it spent years in some drawer in my closet until one day I discovered that it had been stolen.

Such an impractical thing!  A mechanical action that would stop unless the watch was continuously used.  Accuracy was not bad, but any cheap electronic Timex was more precise.

I have been owning for 25 years a Tag & Heuer watch that is precisely what I like:  very precise electronic action,  submersible to 200 m  (has never been more than 2 meters under water), heavy and good looking.  But again...  I never have a chance to use it, because my cellphone is sufficient time information.  When I travel overseas I have no reason to use it either because, again, the cellphone does it all.  But I like to find it in my night drawer and look at it in admiration  :)

Maybe I should use it to complement an elegant manly look...  but I think the body is sufficient. 

8 hours ago, 66xing99 said:

Is it true that the price of Rolex watches increase yearly so in a way it is a form of small investments? And certain models are sold out and there's a long waiting list.

I'm thinking of buying one for the first time. Any advice?

Hi bro,

it is the limited edition watches that will appreciate in value.

The base value of the weight of the gold casing is another

point to consider, and if there are good quality diamonds in it.

A good investment watch does not come cheap... and may 

not even have a resale value you imagined... there may not 

even be a buyer for it if trends change away from the design

you invested in that particular watch.

The classic designs tend to be a safer bet, unless you are able 

to buy an exclusive one-off timepiece.

I've bought a few limited edition Rolex..etc. when I was much younger,

thinking to sell it later, however, now I've gotten rid of the timepieces

that no longer appeal to me(at a good profit), but kept a special one

that I like so much that I will never think of selling it, even though

I've received very good offers over the years!

I believe, it is better to buy  timepieces that you'll enjoy wearing,

rather that just to think of selling.

Cheers, Mike