Male HQ

Joining a gym a MUST? or just make do w whatever we have

lovehandle

Options for workout/exercise  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

what is your take about joining gym? or there are plenty of good and effective methods like swimming etc?

Depends on your goals.

If you are into bodybuilding and/or aesthetics/lean and want the good looks of a more developed body, you can still do it at home but the exercises would not be as complete as a gym. A gym is also not always needed because you can get a wall or door-way mounted pull-up bar, some decent dumbbell and barbell sets with exercise mats to cushion your heavy weights, a foldable exercise bench to lie on to do your workouts and a portable squat rack to turn your room into a self-contained mini gym. It is surprisingly space efficient if you manage to find those foldable and compact variants but the down side is you wouldn't want to do too much weights on collapsible and portable racks if you are into very heavy squatting or weight lifting that goes beyond 100 kg.

The use of gym would be to enhance your already existing workout routines and hit other muscle groups and regions that you do not have the opportunity to develop with the use of specialized machines and equipments that is not feasible to install at home. One example is the cable machines which is a highly versatile and infinitely useful machine that can be used in multiple types of exercises but you wouldn't want to invest and setup one of those cable machines at home due to the space constrain and cost.

If you just want to be fit, you have swimming, running and other sports where gym is not a requirement.

Also, Tabata should not be a sole source of cardio or for fat lost. The best source of cardio is jogging/running as it is the most practical with least cost and most efficient to execute.

Guest 72%dark

When I first started gymming a couple years back, one of the reasons I found it helpful to go to the gym was simply as a way of ‘forcing’ myself to workout. Before that, I did bodyweight exercises and used dumbbells at home; but more often than not, because I was at home (and didn’t enjoy the exercise), I found it easy to procrastinate or find an excuse to do something else instead of workout. However, each time I went to the gym, I felt compelled to make it worth the time and effort traveling and spent there and the money on the entrance fee. And with little else to distract me, I could do a proper workout.

Subsequently, once it became a habit to exercise, I no longer needed that as a form of motivation. I continue to use a gym for the equipment, but on days when I’m unable to make it during the opening hours, I use the neighborhood fitness corner instead.

(Oh and unlike some other gym users, I didn’t join one so I could check out hot guys. In fact I find it both distracting and demoralizing to see them at the gym.)

Edited by 72%dark

On 1/9/2018 at 7:58 PM, 72%dark said:

(Oh and unlike some other gym users, I didn’t join one so I could check out hot guys. In fact I find it both distracting and demoralizing to see them at the gym.)

I totally can relate to this. When I just started working out in my first gym, this tall, well-built and handsome Vietnamese guy from our office happened to workout in the same gym. I had to go out and wait for him to finish and leave before I can workout because I'm so anxious of my scrawny, 5kg benching body. XD

As for TS,

It will come down to your goals and self-motivation. You'll eventually need to build a habit so it's up to you which environment can make you keep on doing it for at least a month be it cardio, weights, etc.

Edited by yoo_ris

@72%dark, @yoo_ris

The qn is what makes u sign up for one?& not other form of exercise?& why muscle? So as to look good for certain virtues in life?

or just wanna to keep a healthy lifestyle?

I thk he adapted from coco chanel’s quote 
“In order to be irreplaceacle, one must always be different.”

Guest 72%dark
3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

@72%dark, @yoo_ris

The qn is what makes u sign up for one?& not other form of exercise?& why muscle? So as to look good for certain virtues in life?

or just wanna to keep a healthy lifestyle?

For me, in the beginning, it was purely for physical fitness. There was a time when I couldn’t pass my IPPT and the main reason was inadequate muscle strength (my problem station was pull-ups). So I did weight training at the gym rather than cardio. 

Eventually I gained enough muscle strength to hit my physical fitness goals. A nicer looking physique was initially just a bonus side effect of all that training. But after I had surpassed my fitness goals, I continued to work out at the same intensity so that I could maintain the physique (hoping that it would help me be more attractive to other guys).

But honestly, I think I will probably cut back drastically on the training once I no longer have to pass IPPT every year. Cos maintaining the physique is a rather costly endeavor (especially time-wise), but using it to attract guys hasn’t really been very successful and it’s very difficult to compete with the grade A prime beef out there, of which there is a lot.

3 minutes ago, 72%dark said:

For me, in the beginning, it was purely for physical fitness. There was a time when I couldn’t pass my IPPT and the main reason was inadequate muscle strength (my problem station was pull-ups). So I did weight training at the gym rather than cardio. 

Eventually I gained enough muscle strength to hit my physical fitness goals. A nicer looking physique was initially just a bonus side effect of all that training. But after I had surpassed my fitness goals, I continued to work out at the same intensity so that I could maintain the physique (hoping that it would help me be more attractive to other guys).

But honestly, I think I will probably cut back drastically on the training once I no longer have to pass IPPT every year. Cos maintaining the physique is a rather costly endeavor (especially time-wise), but using it to attract guys hasn’t really been very successful and it’s very difficult to compete with the grade A prime beef out there, of which there is a lot.

oh

I failed my ippt too at tht earlier stage

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.