Male HQ

KETO DIET one of the most effective to lose weight

Guest lose_weight

Guest lose_weight

Have you guys tried KETO DIET? I've heard it is damn effective and a lot of people nowadays are trying it and seeing over the internet that yes a lot of them lose weight. It is also not difficult and also fun as you eat high fat diet (like bacon and Avocado!) and yes you just need to control your carb intake. Have you guys tried it? Any experienced? There are a lot online to read about it, because i want to try it tomorrow :) 

-----

A keto diet is well known for being a low carb diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s referred to as many different names – ketogenic diet, low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), etc.

When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.

• Glucose is the easiest molecule for your body to convert and use as energy so that it will be chosen over any other energy source.
  • Insulin is produced to process the glucose in your bloodstream by taking it around the body.

Since the glucose is being used as a primary energy, your fats are not needed and are therefore stored. Typically on a normal, higher carbohydrate diet, the body will use glucose as the main form of energy. By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis.

Ketosis is a natural process the body initiates to help us survive when food intake is low. During this state, we produce ketones, which are produced from the breakdown of fats in the liver.

The end goal of a properly maintained keto diet is to force your body into this metabolic state. We don’t do this through starvation of calories but starvation of carbohydrates.

example frittata recipe

Our bodies are incredibly adaptive to what you put into it – when you overload it with fats and take away carbohydrates, it will begin to burn ketones as the primary energy source. Optimal ketone levels offer many health, weight loss, physical and mental performance benefits.

Beginning u will feel lethagic, irritable and weak due to sugar withdrawal. After 1 week. u will feel normal again.I agreed it can help u to lose fat fast within a month. However if u don't control ur diet well, ur fat will come back fast and furious

2 hours ago, mantin30 said:

How is your keto diet looks like?

YongTauFoo, LaoHuoTang, Teh-o-kosong peng, oolong tea, no rice, no noodle, no soft drinks (at most isotonic drinks), home cook things just throw meat and vegetable into water to boil and eat, at most fry some boneless chicken meat with skin on without any oil since the skin will produce oil by itself.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

YongTauFoo, LaoHuoTang, Teh-o-kosong peng, oolong tea, no rice, no noodle, no soft drinks (at most isotonic drinks), home cook things just throw meat and vegetable into water to boil and eat, at most fry some boneless chicken meat with skin on without any oil since the skin will produce oil by itself.

This one not really keto actually. It depends if you follow the traditional one (since the founding father of keto diet, Phinney) or the other famous sports nutrition researcher (Burke). If you follow the traditional one, you need to ensure that your carbs are less than 20g of carbs? (Ref: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/0026-0495(83)90105-1/pdf) Your 1 can of 100plus is already 22g of carbs. Haven't even count some of the yong tau foo items. Some of them contains carbs too. Hence its important to document and log the food intake down. Even the fruits and veggies consumed has to be controlled. Not all can be taken due to the starch/sugar content within. However, on a separate note, you can still choose to consume the 100plus, but its at the expense of your other food intake. Following the other researcher's figures, the other approach adopted is to have  "< 50 g day−1 CHO; 78% energy as fat; 2.1 g kg−1 day−1 protein" (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/JP273230/abstract)

Edited by xydboy

6 hours ago, Guest lose_weight said:

Have you guys tried KETO DIET? I've heard it is damn effective and a lot of people nowadays are trying it and seeing over the internet that yes a lot of them lose weight. It is also not difficult and also fun as you eat high fat diet (like bacon and Avocado!) and yes you just need to control your carb intake. Have you guys tried it? Any experienced? There are a lot online to read about it, because i want to try it tomorrow :) 

-----

A keto diet is well known for being a low carb diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s referred to as many different names – ketogenic diet, low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), etc.

When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.

• Glucose is the easiest molecule for your body to convert and use as energy so that it will be chosen over any other energy source.
  • Insulin is produced to process the glucose in your bloodstream by taking it around the body.

Since the glucose is being used as a primary energy, your fats are not needed and are therefore stored. Typically on a normal, higher carbohydrate diet, the body will use glucose as the main form of energy. By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis.

Ketosis is a natural process the body initiates to help us survive when food intake is low. During this state, we produce ketones, which are produced from the breakdown of fats in the liver.

The end goal of a properly maintained keto diet is to force your body into this metabolic state. We don’t do this through starvation of calories but starvation of carbohydrates.

example frittata recipe

Our bodies are incredibly adaptive to what you put into it – when you overload it with fats and take away carbohydrates, it will begin to burn ketones as the primary energy source. Optimal ketone levels offer many health, weight loss, physical and mental performance benefits.

Actually fat adaptation takes time. Probably 3 weeks or more to see some form of adaptation.

7 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

From my understanding, pure Keto diets should only be used under clinical supervision and only for brief periods, it can do damages to the body if done over a long period.

A balanced diet is still important for the body in the long term and exercise is still the key to weight lost.

exactly!

7 hours ago, xydboy said:

This one not really keto actually. It depends if you follow the traditional one (since the founding father of keto diet, Phinney) or the other famous sports nutrition researcher (Burke). If you follow the traditional one, you need to ensure that your carbs are less than 20g of carbs? (Ref: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/0026-0495(83)90105-1/pdf) Your 1 can of 100plus is already 22g of carbs. Haven't even count some of the yong tau foo items. Some of them contains carbs too. Hence its important to document and log the food intake down. Even the fruits and veggies consumed has to be controlled. Not all can be taken due to the starch/sugar content within. However, on a separate note, you can still choose to consume the 100plus, but its at the expense of your other food intake. Following the other researcher's figures, the other approach adopted is to have  "< 50 g day−1 CHO; 78% energy as fat; 2.1 g kg−1 day−1 protein" (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/JP273230/abstract)

the diet mentioned above is perhaps good for those who are obscenely obese. For normal people like us, my YongTauFoo with mostly vegetable and perhaps an egg and my LaoHuoTang inside keeps me happy. In fact, anything less than that will start me shivering due to the lack of energy. I may even have to snack on some green peas with this diet in between. So you can forget the 20g of carbs per day for me. 20g carb per day can only be done provided if I do not need to do any physical activities for myself at all, not even work. Ultimately, I don't want my diet to affect my brain function, right?

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

the diet mentioned above is perhaps good for those who are obscenely obese. For normal people like us, my YongTauFoo with mostly vegetable and perhaps an egg and my LaoHuoTang inside keeps me happy. In fact, anything less than that will start me shivering due to the lack of energy. I may even have to snack on some green peas with this diet in between. So you can forget the 20g of carbs per day for me. 20g carb per day can only be done provided if I do not need to do any physical activities for myself at all, not even work. Ultimately, I don't want my diet to affect my brain function, right?

The whole premise of a ketogenic diet is to augment 'brain function'. In fact this is the standard of treatment for epilepsy. Some endocrinologists are starting to prescribe this for their diabetic patients as per evidence obtained from trials showing efficacy. Per unit mass of glucose versus fats, fats actually provide more energy because 1 molecule of triglyceride has 3 fatty acids, each fatty acids can have in excess of 6 hydrocarbons (Medium Chain Triglyceride/Long CT) and can be converted and used for aerobic respiration generating far more ATP than glucose can.

weniger aber besser

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

exactly!

The ketogenic diet stems from the word ketosis, which is triggered by the body under the situation of low carbs. if you are not having your carbs low enough for it, then it defeats the purpose of the ketogenic diet. In such instance, that term shouldn't be used. The keto diet is primarily low carbs high fat. That is the premise of a ketogenic diet, which I feel your diet isn't. Many people believe that it would help with weight loss because of the over subscription, but primarily, the main effect of it is to induce fat adaptation. Using fat as the primary source for fuel particularly during exercise. This is what happens when the media and people just spread the word without knowing the true underlying principles to it.

7 hours ago, xydboy said:

The ketogenic diet stems from the word ketosis, which is triggered by the body under the situation of low carbs. if you are not having your carbs low enough for it, then it defeats the purpose of the ketogenic diet. In such instance, that term shouldn't be used. The keto diet is primarily low carbs high fat. That is the premise of a ketogenic diet, which I feel your diet isn't. Many people believe that it would help with weight loss because of the over subscription, but primarily, the main effect of it is to induce fat adaptation. Using fat as the primary source for fuel particularly during exercise. This is what happens when the media and people just spread the word without knowing the true underlying principles to it.

well... whatever you say, I lost 5kg over 3 months. Keto diet or no Keto diet in your definition, and you can argue till the cows come home, my Results show. Period.

56 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

well... whatever you say, I lost 5kg over 3 months. Keto diet or no Keto diet in your definition, and you can argue till the cows come home, my Results show. Period.

I'm just correcting the misinformation. To be honest, any diet works, doesn't matter keto or not (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681#t=article). Most importantly is whether the individual is comfortable with it and keep the weight loss off. The efficacy of the diet lies not in the ability to lose weight, but in the ability for the individual to carry on with it for the rest of the life. 5 kg over 3 months, no biggie but its a commendable effort on your side. Keep up the good work and maintain the weight loss. Just fyi, people who are obese (age of 40) can lose 11kg with that duration when coupled with exercise. Without exercise was 10kg (https://www.nature.com/articles/0800499.pdf?origin=ppub). Not sure about your side, but maybe coupling with exercise might have been a good synergy to weight loss efforts. Something to consider if you haven't done so. Both yourself and them are in fact doing things that is good. So yea, regardless kudos!

Edited by xydboy

On 10/01/2018 at 1:52 PM, xydboy said:

Well said... That’s what Keto diet is about... Too much protein will kick you out of ketosis too.

Guest stillfat

I've started gymming since Nov 17. Went gym 4-5 times per week mainly to work out on squat, bench press, deadlift compound exercises.

I also alternate cardio mainly elliptical trainer for an hour and incline walk on threadmill for 30min.

I noticed my chest, legs are more solid. However my flabby tummy refuse to reduce. My weight stays constant at 92kg for the past 2 months despite I adopted LCHF diet.

How do I kickstart my body to start burning fats?

On 1/21/2018 at 2:21 PM, Guest stillfat said:

I've started gymming since Nov 17. Went gym 4-5 times per week mainly to work out on squat, bench press, deadlift compound exercises.

I also alternate cardio mainly elliptical trainer for an hour and incline walk on threadmill for 30min.

I noticed my chest, legs are more solid. However my flabby tummy refuse to reduce. My weight stays constant at 92kg for the past 2 months despite I adopted LCHF diet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

suggest you follow ketogains protocols.

a) don't eat back your exercise calories

b) don't eat superfluous fat. (ie: carbs are a hard limit, do not exceed, protein is a goal. you can exceed, fat is a lever (want to lose weight, then consume less, not hungry, then don't eat till your fat macro)

c) no fat bombs , no bulletproof coffee (ie: just black coffee)

Edited by Chris Low

On 1/21/2018 at 2:21 PM, Guest stillfat said:

Have you measured your body composition at the start and now? are there any changes? not weight but body composition via tanita, etc. And also, did you do a record of your food log for your diet? Perhaps you could note down a typical 3 day log here.

Edited by xydboy

Many people read about this keto diet but not sure how to apply as they only know low carb high fat diet from the many web sites. I myself had reduced a lot of my carb food intake and succeeded and even my friend who does it succeeded in reducing weight and body fat %. I would tell you this way of reducing body fat % is very fast if you are those high carb eater to begin with. If you can stop eating things like white rice, bread, cakes, cookies, noodles, potatoes, pasta, fried food, food that is added with lots of flour etc you body fat % will drop very fast. Try it for a month and you should see a big difference. When you see the big difference, use it as a motivation for you to maintain this hot body. In our gay society a hot body can have lots of advantages.

I am a vegetarian so i had to modify the keto diet to suit my needs. As for vegetarian to reduce high carb food had to avoid mock meat also as many of those are added with flour.

If you are those that still want carb food, make sure you choose complex carb food like brown rice, red rice etc.

I myself still consume a lot of sugary stuff but reducing the main carb food intake i already can see the results fast. 

Edited by yoyo74

3 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

Many people read about this keto diet but not sure how to apply as they only know low carb high fat diet from the many web sites. I myself had reduced a lot of my carb food intake and succeeded and even my friend who does it succeeded in reducing weight and body fat %. I would tell you this way of reducing body fat % is very fast if you are those high carb eater to begin with. If you can stop eating things like white rice, bread, cakes, cookies, noodles, potatoes, pasta, fried food, food that is added with lots of flour etc you body fat % will drop very fast. Try it for a month and you should see a big difference. When you see the big difference, use it as a motivation for you to maintain this hot body. In our gay society a hot body can have lots of advantages.

I am a vegetarian so i had to modify the keto diet to suit my needs. As for vegetarian to reduce high carb food had to avoid mock meat also as many of those are added with flour.

If you are those that still want carb food, make sure you choose complex carb food like brown rice, red rice etc.

I myself still consume a lot of sugary stuff but reducing the main carb food intake i already can see the results fast. 

did u totally stop carb?

I once tried b4 and I felt lethargic, sleepy, jittery for almost a week

4 hours ago, Guest LCHF said:

did u totally stop carb?

I once tried b4 and I felt lethargic, sleepy, jittery for almost a week

Not totally stop but reduce a lot from the main meals that i eat. Lunch time i eat complex carb red rice with vegetables at a vegetarian stall during working day and when dinner time at home i normally just eat a whole pot of vegetables.

keto is damn effective! this is my second week, less exercise but i strictly follow the rules of keto, i eat a lot some more but i dramatically lose 2 kg! my belts are all damn lose now and my body is slimmer.

• 1 month later...

I went on the Keto Diet and lost 8 kg in about 3 months. To my surprise our body does not need as much carbo as some people may claim. It is a misguided myth that you need carbo to give you energy otherwise you feel tired and weak. To avoid going to extreme and also to trick my body; once a week I take a meal with carbo, some call this the cheat meal.

17 hours ago, Patrickvivian said:

I went on the Keto Diet and lost 8 kg in about 3 months. To my surprise our body does not need as much carbo as some people may claim. It is a misguided myth that you need carbo to give you energy otherwise you feel tired and weak. To avoid going to extreme and also to trick my body; once a week I take a meal with carbo, some call this the cheat meal.

I have been thinking about adopting Keto for a while (have not yet) but wondered how that will affect my lifts with the thinking of carbs = energy. In view of what you have mentioned, what would then be the minimum amount of carbs (in % to total calories of the day) an active lifter should not go lower than and still remain at a healthy level, able to progress on lifts? 

Currently I'm running a 2600 calories plan averaging about 200g Protein, 90g Fats and 250g Carbs. Feel like I am already having a lot of protein daily for my bodyweight (63kg), would adding more be any good? Not too sure about upping the Fat level either. Any recommendation on how to redistribute my current macros for a low-carb plan, one that does not affect progress on lifts? 

It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:54 AM, Active1994 said:

Currently I'm running a 2600 calories plan averaging about 200g Protein, 90g Fats and 250g Carbs. Feel like I am already having a lot of protein daily for my bodyweight (63kg), would adding more be any good? Not too sure about upping the Fat level either. Any recommendation on how to redistribute my current macros for a low-carb plan, one that does not affect progress on lifts? 

I would not add anymore proteins. cos gluconeogenesis occurs with excessive proteins which defeats the purpose of lowering carbs. In my experience, HIIT style training, will leave one feeling inadequate on a keto diet, personally, I feel better if I change to a longer (endurance) workout. I try to organize my cheat day close to the gym training I want to do and keep the keto diet for the rest of the week.

A word of warning, keto diets aims to maintain a daily carb intake of <20g, if you are not able to do it. Dun start a 'keto' diet. Otherwise you will still burn sugar and store the fats, worst of both worlds.

weniger aber besser

22 hours ago, euphony said:

I would not add anymore proteins. cos gluconeogenesis occurs with excessive proteins which defeats the purpose of lowering carbs. In my experience, HIIT style training, will leave one feeling inadequate on a keto diet, personally, I feel better if I change to a longer (endurance) workout. I try to organize my cheat day close to the gym training I want to do and keep the keto diet for the rest of the week.

A word of warning, keto diets aims to maintain a daily carb intake of <20g, if you are not able to do it. Dun start a 'keto' diet. Otherwise you will still burn sugar and store the fats, worst of both worlds.

Thank you for the clarification.

In fact, since my last post I did some reading up on Keto and decided it isn't for me. One has to be certain they are actually in ketosis to reap the benefits of such a diet, and I've read about some who reduced their carb intake to 20-30g and still felt horrible - not realizing their protein intake was too high which then does its thing to converting to carbs as I see you have pointed out as well. Lowering carbs to such levels and not actually being in ketosis would indeed be a nightmare to function on, let alone lift weights at the gym. Plus, I love my daily oatmeal and fruits too much to give that away for...I'm not even sure how a 70-80% fat intake daily looks like, or actually enjoy consuming them tbh (because it's all about sustaining it). I'd rather apply IF to my current food plan as an option to lose weight.  

Just in-case anyone else is thinking of a low-carb nutrition plan and lifting as well to lose weight, the notion 'you don't need as much carbs for energy' is only true if you trigger ketosis, where your body runs off fat-intake primarily. Otherwise you're better off loading up on carbs (well, the standard calculating of total protein first followed by fats before allocating the remainder to carbs) for the fuel you'd need to perform. 

It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried keto about 2 years ago, early 30s.

my takeaway is that it is hard to achieve and maintain (harder than any other diet/nutrition plans)

and there might also be long term damage to liver and kidney.

first, getting to ketosis itelf is a struggle. based on my base metabolic rate and body constitution,

it took about 1 week. during that week, i did not feel so weak or dizzy or cant work

but rather very light on energy.

i supplemented the conversion by drinking a lot of caffeine-free antioxidant tea, up my probiotics

and overall intake of water. maybe it was placebo effect, but it did make the conversion easier.

i was able to do everything i needed to do, without much dip in energy on concentration.

after 8 days, i can feel that i am in ketosis. i did not pee on a keto-stick, but by monitoring my energy levels

and fat levels, i did see improvements. protein intake needed to be increased dramatically,

but this period is where i stopped taking shakes or any synthetic mixes (hidden sugar)

i converted entirely to lean animal and veg proteins.

a friend that also tried keto, realised that due to high purine in some animal and veg protein,

it actually triggered gout which he did not have previously. the occurrence of gout means that there is a

correlation to liver and kidney function, as the crystals form because the body is not able to flush the purine out.

that alone is quite worrying.

too much protein also converts back to carbs,  which defeats the purpose of trying to maintain ketosis.

so that is a delicate balance that can only truly be achieved by counting micros. (argh!)

lastly, while i was losing fat fast, it also meant my body felt looser instead of leaner. there was some skin,

which was previously plumped up by some fat. so i did have to work out harder by 30% to build muscle to

fill my skin, ergo "tighten up". i didn't quite like that, as it wreaked havoc on my schedule and recovery.

i may look better, but it was an adjustment that i dont think it worth it.

and worst of all, is when you do fall off the keto wagon, which will happen eventually,  mine was with an exotic

semolina grain pizza i ate on holiday. ate two slices, and probably with a juice that also had simple carbs.

i felt like puking an hour after eating, and was just wiped out. cancelled the day's plan and literally slept for 5 hours,

because suddenly felt so sleepy. i can only guess that my blood sugar peaked so suddenly, that i just crashed

and was drained.

in hindsight, luckily it was on holiday where i could choose to stay in.

if it was during normal life, the errant bite could screw up the whole day.

sorry its so long, but this is my whole keto experience.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 11 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 5:11 AM, Guest Guest said:

I'm sure @xydboy has a certification on his area of studies and backed up with facts, researches and evidence. not just some bro science or anything found on the internet. if you lose 5kg of over 3 months (congrats by the way) with or without keto, that means keto diet might not be the one that helped you to lose weight in the first place. i'm currently studying in sports and exercise science diploma too. and still very inexperienced and unintelligent in this area. but i really appreciate xydboy for offering information that is backed up by legit sources and information. it really amuses me to see people arguing with a professional who has a cert on ACSM.  a gold standard certification in fitness/ sports industry.

• 1 month later...
Guest waytt

I just started early march. Lost 5kg within a month. Now, im 70kg.

I fast for 14hrs 8pm to 12pm

Break fast for 8hrs 12pm to 8pm. 

No carb, no sugar. Cheat day will be on a sunday.

I jog almost every morning at pasir ris park. Sometimes change 1 day to swimming.

36 minutes ago, waytt said:

I just started early march. Lost 5kg within a month. Now, im 70kg.

I fast for 14hrs 8pm to 12pm

Break fast for 8hrs 12pm to 8pm. 

No carb, no sugar. Cheat day will be on a sunday.

I jog almost every morning at pasir ris park. Sometimes change 1 day to swimming.

Back on Keto as well -  last keto was in 2014, and then 2016. 

On to Week 2 of solid keto before heading into cyclical keto. Lost 7 kg first week, which is normal for me. It is just water weight as the body is starting to go carb-free. 1g of carbs holds up to 4g of water. So no carbs means the body purges the water fast. Need to drink more and supplement with base minerals in this phase. 

Even before Keto, my last meal is about 8pm, and similarly my next real meal is 1pm. My advice for keto beginners is that intermittent fasting will greatly reduce Keto Flu, as the body blood sugar is already kept low during those fasted states. Only thing now is that I take a coffee with MCT oil in the morning to kickstart the body's draw using fats as energy. So far very good.

Will have my first carb cycle at end of week 3 as I want the body in full ketosis. Normal days, sugar limit is 50g. Overall, Fats should be 70%, and protein 20 to 25%. Too much protein will convert to sugar, which will kick you out of ketosis - also this conversion is toxic to the body.

My muscle mass overall is 40%, will tweak so that I can optimise muscle growth while on keto. it's hard but not impossible.  My overall goal is leanness and also reduce inflammation. I don't really want fats to drop drastically, as that can be unhealthy as mentioned in my sharing last March, 2018.

This is my third round with Keto - even though spaced out within a year or two, I can see my body is adapting to the carb-deprivation, by purging slowly before coming into full ketosis. i find this is a more gradual and less damaging conversion than my first round doing it.

As I generally abstain from red meats, due to free radical damage, my main diet is Chicken, Eggs, Tofu, green leafy veg, MCT oil, Coconut oil, Fish oil, nuts and some cheese. My struggle is in meeting the 70% fat requirement without eating too much protein. It's hard to get good healthy fats in, and not to go the easy path of "dirty keto".

In terms of exercise - 30 mins cardio & 1 hr gym x 4 days a week. Alternate days is swimming for 2 hrs. 1 rest day. 

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Just did first cyclical carb intake on Keto last weekend. - This is week 3.

I was careful not to eat too much carbs that will get me evicted out of ketosis-land. My cheat was 3 sardine curry puffs (no crust), 1 cup of yoghurt and 15 fries. This probably factored into 100-120 grams of carbs, which is 50 - 70 grams over the daily limit of 50g.

Bounced back pretty ok, no dips in energy. Except that I was so sleepy after that day (Saturday), crashed at 9pm which was unprecedented. Naturally awoke at 7am the next day, full energy and hit the gym and ran all the Sunday errands (haircut, grocery shopping, meal prep, visit family, weekend movie) no problem. I had high energy until 11pm, which I took as a sign to hit the sheets.

Yesterday and Today, I had no drops in energy, or residual hangovers, so it seems the first carb cycle was successful. Body clock / metabolism seems reset, need to sleep by 9 or 10 these days - very early for me. I wake up looking very lean and defined, not sure if it's just dehydration or what. (I do drink up to 4 litres of water and rooibos every day) But my recent muscle groups that I have been training, seem bigger. Starting to not look like myself in the steamy bathroom mirror, lol. 

Will try to keep in check this coming weekend - might be hard as I will be travelling for Song Kran, so diet might be upside down, depending on what's available.  I probably won't abstain from foods, It's just that I'll have 1 sip or bite, instead of a whole plate or cup of carbs. Psychologically, that is a compromise that works for me, as I still get to eat and taste (within limits) but not completely throw my ketosis out the window. Share-share with friends, haha.

Staple things I'll stock up from Thai supermarket are going to be Eggs, Coffee, Canned Tuna, Yoghurt, Soda Water, Bottled Water. Will be bringing some nuts with me just in case, as well as, MCT oil, as liquid coconut oil is way too messy to travel with.

Will update again once back from Song Kran. This is real life Keto when it is subjected to things like Travel - glad that I pre-planned and started Keto before the trip. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Song Kran trip (11/4 to 16/4)

Overall managed to keep to 50% of my regular food routine. The weather was sweltering, and there were a few times when I craved a Sprite so badly. Luckily, Thailand seems to be the only country which has a ready stock of soda water. Bought a 6 pack, and that really hits the spot without consuming any of the sugars.

Default alcohol consumed was Vodka Soda with Lime, aka Skinny Bitch. I am not a regular drinker, so had to search which drinks were the least damaging to a Keto diet. Seems like clear liquors (Vodka, Gin) are the way to go, but surprisingly Tonic Water has enough sugar to kick me out, so Skinny Bitches it was.

My only slip up was cherry tomatoes which I bought to eat with tuna, mayo and eggs for breakfast. Turns out those actually can be quite high in sugar, so I definitely noticed the sugar bloat 1 day after having it. Sugar inflammation is real.

Exercise was gym and swim everyday. Soaking and doing light laps in the warm pool really seems to help with recovery. Hardcore partying (7pm to 5am) did mess up my normal schedule - definitely not something I can continue to do as a normal lifestyle.

Everything else was on par with the plan - I enjoyed loads of street foods, grilled chicken thighs, seafood and did eat a bite of fruit here and there. Because of the upside down schedule, there were some nights of dirty keto (burgers with no bun) - it was so tempting to scarf down the whole thing after clubbing, but i think the potential regret won out.

Back in SG for past 2 days, and back on track with whole foods, prepped lunches, MCT oil and clean eating. Inflammation and bloat has gone down, I guess I fooled my body into thinking that those few cherry tomato days was a regular carb cycle day. This is an added benefit to cyclical keto - the body is able to bounce back faster.

Extra:

I also seem to have formed an allergy to Vodka, or alcohol. First time getting a rash from it - it feels like a heat rash, appearing on my arms. I wonder if my body in Ketosis is not happy with the exotic alcohol sugars. It is going away, but an interesting observation.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I am providing nutritional coaching service through Precision Nutrition to someone who wants to eat and live well. Most nutritional plans do not work well in the long haul. So what nutritional coaching does, is to help you eat better, even if you are a vegetarian. At the same time, you understand how that works for you.

The coaching curriculum spams over a 12-month period. Here's the link. 

https://procoach.app/troy-tan

Cheers!

Troy

WWW.TROY.SG

IG: homspasg

LINE ID: homspasg

Twitter: tjantroy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, nerdyslim said:

Anyone still on keto diet? Care to share experience?

I tried it for a few days, honestly it's a tough journey if you decided not to meal prep.

Good options that I went for is subway salads, caifan without rice/carbs-related dishes and chicken chop without fries.

I would say I lost a bit of weight even though it's a short period, but probably it's not because of keto but just the lack of food in general.

I would either recommend meal prepping, or if you willing to spend, subscribe to those meal prep services online that cost about $12~ per meal.

Keto diet definitely requires a lot of delication and self-discipline as I read up that it is not advisable to have cheat days when you are on a keto diet.

• 3 months later...

How Saturated Fat Took Cigarettes' Blame, Toxic Seed Oils, & the Dirty AHA - Dr. Cate Shanahan
https://youtu.be/1-1isEj2CSc

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.