Male HQ

Traditional Yong Tau Foo as I remembered it.

Guest pak chiu cheng terng

Guest pak chiu cheng terng

For those of you who remembered the old days when you can still get traditional Hakka  yong tau foo , they were made with minced pork with some fish paste and some prawn thrown in and for those really lucky, they had a chance to eat in a Hakka home cooked Yong Tau Foo also shredded sliced dried squid or cuttlefish was added into the minced pork misture to really elevate the flavors to the high heavens.Image result for yong tofu with minced pork fillings pics

Yong Tau Foo made with minced pork and and some other add ons like minced prawns and veggies like spring onions, water chestnuts, 

P1260447a

Traditional Yong Tau foo with minced pork and other ingredients

P1260437

Real pork minced, 

DSCN8539.JPG

Above pic .

Yong Tau Foo prepared and before being lightly deep fried to keep the ingredients inside and intact before throwing in to a clear soup stock made with ikan bilis and dried chinese mushrooms and sometimes soya beans sopu stock.

20151125_195237.jpg?w=840

20151125_155914

20151125_163046

The magic ingredient added to elevate the YONG Tau Foo pork mince mix is shredded dried squid which some will deep fry and add to the mis while some will steam it to cut easier.

Image result for yong tofu with minced pork fillings pics

Todays Yong Tau foo is boring bland with standard POlicitically correct fish paste and pork free.

20161114 Ampang Niang Tou Fu East Coast 1314

Today's young fellas grew up without knowing the real taste of Yong Tau Foo which is ubiquitous at all hawker centers and food courts but only a shadow of itself.

Image result for chee cheong fun red sauce pics

And the red sauce it is served with is actually the traditional Chee cheong Fan sauce that people drizzled on chee cheong fan becuase it was plain tasting without the sauce.

Its like not having real sex  eating to days , pork free and faint shadow of it self .

If you have a Hakka good friend , try to get into his  good books and be invited for a home cooked tasty real yong tau foo, with the whole real ingredients.

The traditional Yong Tau Foo has disappeared from the hawker centers and food courts.

cantonese delights yong tau foo

This one is masquarading as yong tau foo which it actually is tau foo in curry mee sauce.

2.+Orchard+Yong+Tau+Foo+(Cuppage+Plaza).JPG

Boring food court and hawker center yong tau foo ingredients stuffed with factory made fish paste bought from central kitchen supplier and just left to rot without refrigeration in the heat whole day.

Image result for yong tau foo pics

I don't remember shimeji golden mushrooms and ngoh hiang and chicken nuggets being used as ingredients in Yong tau foo of the past , stall holder trying to get rid of stake leftovers?

my grandma adds salted ikan kurau instead of dried octopus (incidentally not squid) in the minced meat to give it that unique fermented taste. it was heavenly and missing it. 

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

Guest Young Tao Fool

Some hawker got more traditional type lah, just have to eat around to find out. For eg, the new Tampines Hub hawker centre got a YTF stall that does mince pork with fish, quite popular stall, some others got chopped chestnut too, adds a nice crunch.

What I like about some home made traditional ones are mushroom stuff with pork/fish filling, wrapped in caul fat before deep frying, finished with garlic black bean sauce - YUM!

Guest Big juicer
On 10/01/2018 at 3:21 PM, Guest Young Tao Fool said:

Some hawker got more traditional type lah, just have to eat around to find out. For eg, the new Tampines Hub hawker centre got a YTF stall that does mince pork with fish, quite popular stall, some others got chopped chestnut too, adds a nice crunch.

What I like about some home made traditional ones are mushroom stuff with pork/fish filling, wrapped in caul fat before deep frying, finished with garlic black bean sauce - YUM!

Wah.....eye popping orgasm hor . 

Pig caul where can get at hawker stalls must specially order from butcher.

Guest Young Tao Fool
4 hours ago, Guest Big juicer said:

Wah.....eye popping orgasm hor . 

Pig caul where can get at hawker stalls must specially order from butcher.

Aiyoh Juicer Zeh Zeh, that's why I separate into second paragraph and indicate home made, not hawker made.

for those who are into gd food, many come to me claiming they are doing a balanced diet and healthy life style by having vege and yongtauhoo as their meals

I m sorry  that is nt the case

the most sinful part of this is the sauce and the chilli

• 2 months later...

for all the ytf lovers, can please list your fave hawker stalls?

I shall start with my fave list not in order of preference:

1)  Lao Huang, North Bridge Road Market & Food Centre

2)  Ikan Bilis YTF, Chinatown Food Centre, Smith Street

3)  Hakka YTF, Mosque Street (closed permanently)

4)  Poy Kee, People's Park Food Complex (the one selling textile upstairs)

5)  Yong Xiang Xing, (same address as above)

6)  Hup Chong, Blk 116 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh (right behind exit of Braddell MRT Station)

All in sex is fair.

13 hours ago, kimlo777 said:

for all the ytf lovers, can please list your fave hawker stalls?

I shall start with my fave list not in order of preference:

1)  Lao Huang, North Bridge Road Market & Food Centre

2)  Ikan Bilis YTF, Chinatown Food Centre, Smith Street

3)  Hakka YTF, Mosque Street (closed permanently)

4)  Poy Kee, People's Park Food Complex (the one selling textile upstairs)

5)  Yong Xiang Xing, (same address as above)

6)  Hup Chong, Blk 116 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh (right behind exit of Braddell MRT Station)

didn't know kimlo liked such traditional stuff

5)  Yong Xiang Xing, (same address as above)  is good but

poy kee? u sure? or is Goh kee? 高记 - they have franchise all over sg

These are my favourites YTF's. Must check it out. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Anyone who has lived in Ang Mo Kio long enough will know about this famous Yong Tau Foo stall, which always has a long queue! Ikan bilis and soy beans are added into its soup, making it very sweet and tasty. Doesn’t matter if you slurp down the entire bowl of soup, as no MSG is added. There are close to 40 food items for you to pick from. Xi Xiang Feng’s bee hoon is slightly different from the bee hoon at other noodle stalls. It is thicker and firmer, which gives it a nice bite.

Yong Tau Foo: Xi Xiang Feng

Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo

Address: #01-23, Blk 724 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6, Singapore 560724

Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 7am to 7pm. Closed on Sundays.

Yentafo, our equivalent of Yong Tau Foo, is a Thai noodle dish comprising rice noodles crowned with a myriad of ingredients in a light broth tinted pink with a mildly-sweet ‘yentafo’ sauce. Both the flat rice noodles and pink broth are imported directly from Thailand. There isn’t any soya bean in the broth. Instead, it is prepared by simmering pork bones, radish and coriander root, then tinged with a pink sauce that the owner, Madam Mallika, makes. She uses natural ingredients such as fermented red tofu and cooked Thai red rice in her recipe.

Yong Tau Foo: Yentafo Kruengsonge Pink Noodles

Yentafo Kruengsonge

Address: #02-06 A/B, Cathay Cineleisure Orchard, 8 Grange Road, Singapore 239695

Phone: 6736 0971

Opening Hours: 11am to 10pm daily.

Although this eatery is famous for their ping-pong sized beef balls, which is served in a clear soup with thin bee hoon, kway teow or mee kia, the Hakka Yong Tau Foo here is also worth a try. The ingredients for each bowl of yong tau foo are fixed and very fresh. Paired with minced pork and mee pok, which is thinner than those we get elsewhere, every mouthful is full of texture and flavour.

Yong Tau Foo: Hakka Beef House

The Beef House (Hakka Food)

Address: 217 Syed Alwi Road, Gar Lok Eating House, Singapore 207776

Mobile: 9665 4919

Opening Hours: 9am to 6pm daily. Closed on Fridays.

The dry Yong Tau Foo comprises items of our choice generously drenched in a gooey brown minced chicken gravy(the chef’s secret recipe) and Fu Lin’s signature thick bee hoon in a starchy sauce. The deep fried items absorbed the gravy very well, especially the deep fried beancurd skin. 

Yong Tau Foo: Fu Lin Bar Kitchen

Fu Lin Bar & Kitchen

Address: 127 Telok Ayer Street, Singapore 068596

Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 10am to 12midnight. Sat & Sun 4pm to 12midnight.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fulinbarandkitchen/\

The hawker uncle arrives at his stall at 4.30am every morning, and painstakingly hand-makes the yong tau foo items. With a gradually disappearing traditional hawker scene in Singapore, it’s hard to come across hawkers still hand-making their own yong tau foo ingredients nowadays. There are 3 sets to choose from, with the most expensive being $4.80. 

Yong Tau Foo: Siew Lin

Siew Lin Yong Tau Foo

Address: 30 Stanley Street, Singapore 068739

Opening Hours: 11.30am to 2pm, or till sold out. There is no fixed rest day.

The hakka yong tau foo served at this unpretentious eatery took us by surprise! Instead of tau kwa, they use silken tofu with a velvety smooth texture. The fish paste is prepared fresh daily, and used as a filing for the chilli, bittergourd, tau pok and ngor hiang. The sweet sauce is fantastic. Thick, sweet and very shiok! Individual portion costs $5-$6 while sharing portion starts from $8.

Yong Tau Foo: Goldhill Hakka

Goldhill Hakka Yong Tau Foo

Address: 299A Changi Road, Singapore 419777

Phone: 6842 4283

Opening Hours: Tue-Sun 11.30am to 4pm. Closed on Mondays.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Goldhill-Hakka-Restaurant-1997-112024985486753/

Don’t expect a wide selection of ingredients here. The standard yong tau foo ($4) comes with bee hoon, tau kee, minced shrimp balls, mushroom-minced meatball, and more, in a light savoury soup. The items are quite well-prepared and fresh. They will ask if you want the stuffed bittergourd, or have it replaced with other items if you aren’t a fan. The best part? Extra bee hoon is free!

Yong Tau Foo: Bai Nian Yong Tau Foo

Bai Nian Yong Tau Foo

Address: #01-58, Albert Centre Market & Food Centre, 270 Queen Street, Singapore 180270

Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 8.30am to 9pm. Closed on Sundays.

Those working around Clarke Quay can head here for your yong tau foo fix. 109 Teochew Yong Tau Foo started off 35 years ago manufacturing and selling fishball and yong tau foo items, before they finally opened a two-storey eatery. There are many items for you to choose from, and each bowl of yong tau foo (soup or dry) costs around $6, with a minimum of 6 ingredients.

Yong Tau Foo: 109 Teochew Yong Tau Foo

109 Teochew Yong Tau Foo

Address: 90 Circular Road, Singapore 049441

Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 11am to 10pm. Closed on Sundays.

The elderly hawker behind the stall prepares individual items freshly on a daily basis. The ingredients are unique and are mostly steamed, not deep fried. The ingredients go very well with the clear and tasty yong tau foo broth. We prefer the dry version which comes with a sweet sauce that gives the dish an extra oomph. The chilli sauce here is also homemade. It’s not too spicy, and possesses just the right amount of punch.

Yong Tau Foo: Cambridge Road Yong Tau Foo

Cambridge Road Yong Tau Foo

Address: #01-47, Pek Kio Market & Food Centre, 41A Cambridge Road, Singapore 211041

Opening Hours: 7am to 2pm, or till sold out daily.

This ‘brand’ of yong tau foo can be found islandwide. There’s always a line even before lunch time at People’s Park Food Centre. Despite being a chain, the standard of their yong tau foo is good. The star of their stall is actually the noodles that have been drizzled with a mixture of their secret sauces.

Yong Tau Foo: Gao Ji Yong Tau Foo Kookee

Koo Kee (Gao Ji) Yong Tow Foo Mee

Address: #01-1114, Blk 32 New Market Road, Singapore 050032

Opening Hours: 8am to 9pm daily.

Placing your order is very simple at Xiu Ji, as you just need to inform the hawkers whether you want 6 or 8 pieces, with or without noodles, and whether you want additional ingredients such as fishcake, bittergourd, brinjal, and more. The clear soup is light and tasty, perfect for days when you’re seeking some solace. 

Yong Tau Foo: Xiu Ji Yong Tau Foo

Xiu Ji Ikan Bilis Yong Tau Fu

Address: #02-88, Chinatown Complex Market, 335 Smith Street, Singapore 050335

Mobile: 9191 4889

Opening Hours: 5.45am to 3pm, or till sold out daily.

Edited by Ethan_Oleh

3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

poy kee has no franchise as far as I know.  they are very traditional and all the workers are above 60 years old.  usually sold out by 5 or 6pm.   the franchise chain store is koo kee 高记 which is terrible ... won't touch it with a five-foot pole.

All in sex is fair.

but I have no impress of that Poy Kee

Yong xiang xin definitely

3 minutes ago, kimlo777 said:

poy kee has no franchise as far as I know.  they are very traditional and all the workers are above 60 years old.  usually sold out by 5 or 6pm.   the franchise chain store is koo kee 高记 which is terrible ... won't touch it with a five-foot pole.

19 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

but I have no impress of that Poy Kee

Yong xiang xin definitely

here is a write-up on poy kee for your reference - http://aromacookery.com/2008/06/18/poy-kee-yong-tau-foo/

All in sex is fair.

• 2 weeks later...

I went @kimlo777

it doesn't have a q -which is a good thing for me

however it is not as fantastic, definitely better than the franchised koo kee (mentioned above)

but still far from the ever-Long q Yong xiang xin (glad that both of us agreed it is good)

bai nian mentioned above is now opend @ the same pp pk (at least not as long q as its original store)park

not sure why Ethan didn't shortlist Yong xiang xin (no noodles will be served)

https://foursquare.com/v/yong-xiang-xing-tou-fu-永祥兴豆腐/4c985c2b05a1b1f768fc8c53

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

I went @kimlo777

it doesn't have a q -which is a good thing for me

however it is not as fantastic, definitely better than the franchised koo kee (mentioned above)

but still far from the ever-Long q Yong xiang xin (glad that both of us agreed it is good)

bai nian mentioned above is now opend @ the same pp pk (at least not as long q as its original store)park

https://foursquare.com/v/yong-xiang-xing-tou-fu-永祥兴豆腐/4c985c2b05a1b1f768fc8c53

have you tried Lao Huang which imho is for now the best hakka ytf in singapore. they open only 4 days a week.

All in sex is fair.

5 minutes ago, kimlo777 said:

have you tried Lao Huang which imho is for now the best hakka ytf in singapore. they open only 4 days a week.

no, I have not  I usu only venture in the city

hardly goes beyond that boundaries

but I liked the syrup/sauced yong tao hu ie Ampang 安邦酿豆腐

not many stalls bother to do this!

Guest Expose
3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

The reason is Ethan likes to copy and paste wholesale from other blogs/articles without crediting them into this forum, like so many other threads he started/posted in. For example, his YTF post is actually from Miss Tam Chiak’s site, you think he really wrote all those reviews meh?

On 4/15/2018 at 1:47 AM, juzabishanguy said:

You guys can try this Hakka one as mentioned by Dr Leslie Tay from ieatishootipost...

I also ate before...not too bad i suppose...

http://ieatishootipost.sg/hup-chong-hakka-yong-tau-fu-why-yong-tau-fu/

yes i eat at hup chong (the original one beside braddell mrt station) and love it especially their fried meatballs.  the copy at block 127(???) lorong 1 market is not as good.

All in sex is fair.

Actually it took me quite awhile to get used to the meatball...that..ermm...looks crispy on outside..but inside was meat...well..initially when i first ate it i took one bite and stopped cos in my mouth was all.....fats....it wasn't abt half a year later i ate it again and this time was actual meat lol.....

8 hours ago, juzabishanguy said:

Actually it took me quite awhile to get used to the meatball...that..ermm...looks crispy on outside..but inside was meat...well..initially when i first ate it i took one bite and stopped cos in my mouth was all.....fats....it wasn't abt half a year later i ate it again and this time was actual meat lol.....

actually i love it that the deep-fried meatballs contain some fats which gives it that extra smoothness and the feeling of the fats oozing onto my tongue is priceless.

All in sex is fair.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 5:51 AM, -Ignored- said:

It is Poy Kee (very traditional) not the franchised Kow Kee which is terrible imho.

All in sex is fair.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.