Male HQ

How was Gerald Koh able to get so lean?

Guest 72%dark

Guest 72%dark

When I saw pictures of Gerald Koh’s transformation (https://dearstraightpeople.com/2017/01/10/fitspiration-of-the-week-gerald-koh-from-singapore/) I was really in awe. But also very mystified.

How did he manage to get so lean without (a) having stubborn residual fats in problem areas, and (b) looking gaunt?

Note, I’m not asking how he lost weight — how that can be achieved is pretty well understood — but how he managed to do so without what I had always thought were pretty standard side effects.

To explain what I mean, let me contrast with my own personal experience. As someone who was obese as a kid, I’ve managed to shed most of my fats. Most, but not all. I still have a stubborn layer of fat in my belly. Which means that my abs are visible when my torso is straightened, but the fat scrunches up when I’m sitting down or my torso is otherwise bent, and that obscures the ab definition and gives the classic “rolls of belly fat” appearance.

And yet, efforts to get rid of that belly fat by diet and exercise haven’t worked. My BMI is already scraping the lower end of the healthy range. It’s quite easy for me to lose weight now by diet and exercise, but inevitably what happens is that I lose the fat in other parts of my body, especially my face and limbs, making me look gaunt/skeletal and underweight, but the belly fat remains.

Judging from his pictures, Gerald Koh doesn’t seem to have that problem. It doesn’t look like he has stubborn belly fat, nor does he look emaciated. And according to what he says in the interview, he managed to achieve this by trial and error, trying out different fitness programs he found online, rather than by consulting a fitness and nutrition professional. How was this possible?? Have I been wasting all these years slogging at the gym for meager results?

but the expert in bW did mention and I strongly agree that genes play a part!

and he is really not tht fat

one shd have visited my patronised saunas , there r really enormous ones

if that is the case, target the parts that u wish to : prolly the genes over at the belly refuse to budge

I guess learn to be grateful and appreciative, don't make yourself too skeletal , I felt a man who looks thinly is so...........wierd

"My BMI is already scraping the lower end of the healthy range. It’s quite easy for me to lose weight now by diet and exercise, but inevitably what happens is that I lose the fat in other parts of my body, especially my face and limbs, making me look gaunt/skeletal and underweight, but the belly fat remains"

4 hours ago, 72%dark said:

When I saw pictures of Gerald Koh’s transformation (https://dearstraightpeople.com/2017/01/10/fitspiration-of-the-week-gerald-koh-from-singapore/) I was really in awe. But also very mystified.

How did he manage to get so lean without (a) having stubborn residual fats in problem areas, and (b) looking gaunt?

Note, I’m not asking how he lost weight — how that can be achieved is pretty well understood — but how he managed to do so without what I had always thought were pretty standard side effects.

To explain what I mean, let me contrast with my own personal experience. As someone who was obese as a kid, I’ve managed to shed most of my fats. Most, but not all. I still have a stubborn layer of fat in my belly. Which means that my abs are visible when my torso is straightened, but the fat scrunches up when I’m sitting down or my torso is otherwise bent, and that obscures the ab definition and gives the classic “rolls of belly fat” appearance.

And yet, efforts to get rid of that belly fat by diet and exercise haven’t worked. My BMI is already scraping the lower end of the healthy range. It’s quite easy for me to lose weight now by diet and exercise, but inevitably what happens is that I lose the fat in other parts of my body, especially my face and limbs, making me look gaunt/skeletal and underweight, but the belly fat remains.

Judging from his pictures, Gerald Koh doesn’t seem to have that problem. It doesn’t look like he has stubborn belly fat, nor does he look emaciated. And according to what he says in the interview, he managed to achieve this by trial and error, trying out different fitness programs he found online, rather than by consulting a fitness and nutrition professional. How was this possible?? Have I been wasting all these years slogging at the gym for meager results?

Possibly genes, and also I like his idea of "shocking" the body. He changes based on his description, from german volume training (famous for giving sores from all the high volume training), to classic pyramid training (also pretty fatiguing). Well, its also about how much and what you've been doing. If you shed light on your exercise regime and your type of diet, perhaps it might be helpful for us to evaluating your efforts. BMI doesn't tell me the body fat percentage. Its a surrogate measurement. What could have been done is to measure your body composition using those body fat analysers available in the gym or through your own purchase. The belly fat remains because that's typically where most males deposit their body fat. Sadly, its also that region that correlates to a higher risk of developing heart disease.

15 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Possibly genes, and also I like his idea of "shocking" the body. He changes based on his description, from german volume training (famous for giving sores from all the high volume training), to classic pyramid training (also pretty fatiguing). Well, its also about how much and what you've been doing. If you shed light on your exercise regime and your type of diet, perhaps it might be helpful for us to evaluating your efforts. BMI doesn't tell me the body fat percentage. Its a surrogate measurement. What could have been done is to measure your body composition using those body fat analysers available in the gym or through your own purchase. The belly fat remains because that's typically where most males deposit their body fat. Sadly, its also that region that correlates to a higher risk of developing heart disease.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die of heart disease very very soon.

13 minutes ago, fitnessboy said:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die of heart disease very very soon.

Aww...better start exercising soon. Males tend to be at a higher risk of developing heart disease, pretty evident even in our national health survey.

Ref:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/abdominal-obesity-and-your-health

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/Publications/Reports/2011/national_health_survey2010.html

https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article-pdf/23/9/706/17885782/706.pdf

Edited by xydboy

If he had reduced weight from 100 kg to his current lean status in just 8 months, he would run into the issue of having loose skin but his ripped and lean image shows little sign of the infamous loose skin syndrome of most people who loose weight quickly. He did somehow lose tons of weights but I doubt it is 8 months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2018 at 10:05 PM, Cernunnos said:

If he had reduced weight from 100 kg to his current lean status in just 8 months, he would run into the issue of having loose skin but his ripped and lean image shows little sign of the infamous loose skin syndrome of most people who loose weight quickly. He did somehow lose tons of weights but I doubt it is 8 months.

I think so... Lose too much weight in a short period of time will result in loose skin.

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2018 at 5:11 PM, marcoc said:

I think so... Lose too much weight in a short period of time will result in loose skin.

Loose skin happened when you go for liposuction.  He is still young and active, fats were burned and replaced by muscles that pulled the skin in place. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

On 08/03/2018 at 3:35 PM, LeanMature said:

Loose skin happened when you go for liposuction.  He is still young and active, fats were burned and replaced by muscles that pulled the skin in place. 

If you loose it too fast, loose skin will happen. On YouTube there are people who share such concern. Try searching for Keto diet loose skin.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

He follow a vegan diet to slim down fast and maintain that way. I also follow a vegetarian diet to slim down fast down 10kg in 6 months time to my ideal weight. Actually the will power of eating healthier food is much easier than vegetarian and vegan lifestyle. Once you obtain the much harder will power and can maintain on it than you might as well get the easier will power as a package since health and fitness is very important.

I also nobody teach on those fitness stuff and learn everything from the internet but make sure you really read a lot especially the diet part to differentiate which is real and which is fake.

Edited by yoyo74

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.