Male HQ

Ideas for CNY goodies

Guest Goodies

1 hour ago, bluerunner said:

CNY goodies are very expensive this year. Fish skin w salted egg, basically junk food,

is selling at almost $12!!

Im really cutting down my expenditure

on CNY goodies this year. Money not enough. 

the who is selling these at a discount in bw

But isn't most of these cookies already selling above $8 for years. There are so many these days, all year round, hardly anyone who visit want to eat them. In fact my family had cut down on buying for the past few years. Some relatives whom we had to do yearly exchange already request to either stop or cut down too as they face the same problem; no one eating and it goes to waste. 

Sorry deviated from topic but just saying...:D

The standard fares, love letters, peanut cookies, pineapple tarts, kuih bangkit, etc All store bought. I used to bake using shredded coconut, found the recipe in a cook book Long time ago. And my colleague tried dried shrimps cookies from the same book which she said stink her whole house during baking. Good old days, these days just cannot be bothered to bake. 

7 hours ago, shyc said:

But isn't most of these cookies already selling above $8 for years. There are so many these days, all year round, hardly anyone who visit want to eat them. In fact my family had cut down on buying for the past few years. Some relatives whom we had to do yearly exchange already request to either stop or cut down too as they face the same problem; no one eating and it goes to waste. 

Sorry deviated from topic but just saying...:D

The standard fares, love letters, peanut cookies, pineapple tarts, kuih bangkit, etc All store bought. I used to bake using shredded coconut, found the recipe in a cook book Long time ago. And my colleague tried dried shrimps cookies from the same book which she said stink her whole house during baking. Good old days, these days just cannot be bothered to bake. 

indeed Shyc

in sg

I trust some will go over to JB to get them

wow shredded coconut,  u made me hungry again

On 1/28/2018 at 5:33 PM, Guest Goodies said:

what interesting goodies you serve during CNY ?

Nothing! :yuk:

I don't want people to come over!

But my Mama has been pestering me to let my auntie visit, so bo bian. "Open House" during one of the CNY days to let them come.

I still got buy some bak-kwa. Hmmm, i think I ONLY bought bak-kwa. xD

Will have to serve that. Oh, and sugee cookies. I love these already, so it's not bought specially for CNY. Sometimes will snack on them also.

Drinks: Not buying any tetra-packs. Will buy 1.5L / 2L bottles and use cups to serve. If not, I always have my CEO coffee or RuChun tea that my SO makes everyday.

Hope my lack of CNY goodies will deter all my relatives from visiting!

Oh.. your relatives still make visits? Tot these days most people go Travelling. 

Long ago we all go Ah Gong's house. All will be there whole day. Eat 3 meals, play cards, watch tv, laugh, chat etc. 

After Ah Gong's gone, all move to Tua Gu house, slowly slowly one by one all disappeared. So dun worry, one day your turn will come too.

wow.. you atas serve Bak-Kwa. Getting more and more expensive leh. For the past years we always buy and eat ourselves, never take out and serve guests. :shhh:

Idea: Boycott CNY and the need to waste money and add to the fake appearances and shallow personalities! No CNY goodies at all...maybe just a nice family dinner outside, and the rest of the holiday purely for one's own relaxation and enjoyment. :whistle:

Today I pass by Chevron B1 where there are some small stalls selling CNY cookie. Omg! One small can of any cookie, >$20! I dun remember paying that much last year. 

This year, chopped and confirmed not buying. Not even for home nor office. Way too expensive.  :whistle:

Edited by bluerunner

22 hours ago, gabbyisbot said:

My family usually do homemade goodies like Kuih Loyang (蜂窝酥 ), Kuih Mor (soft short bread rolled in icing sugar), kuih sapit and also order some layered cakes (kek lapis). And not to forget prawn crackers served with "acar" :) 

Honeycomb
first time hearing their official names now

ShyC, really? about the bak kwa,but as gays are q conscious, not all wish to gobble down so much fats and sins

elderly in the home neither want to consume unhealthy food anymore

so this year, all decided NOT to purchase

22 hours ago, shyc said:

Oh.. your relatives still make visits? Tot these days most people go Travelling. 

Long ago we all go Ah Gong's house. All will be there whole day. Eat 3 meals, play cards, watch tv, laugh, chat etc. 

After Ah Gong's gone, all move to Tua Gu house, slowly slowly one by one all disappeared. So dun worry, one day your turn will come too.

wow.. you atas serve Bak-Kwa. Getting more and more expensive leh. For the past years we always buy and eat ourselves, never take out and serve guests. :shhh:

he is nt in the local/sg scene

On ‎30‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, sayfirst said:

How come?

On 1/31/2018 at 12:34 AM, shyc said:

My family not rich one, don't go travelling during CNY. xD

Same la. But since I still have a few Grand-aunts, we still visit them. Then after that we go to my Ah ma's house for the night. Makan dinner, play cards, Blackjack, watch tv, getting asked about why still not married, etc etc. xD

I bought the bakkwa mainly to eat myself one, since I eat/buy bakkwa even when it's not CNY. So, just for show only, put outside for my aunties to munch abit if they come lor. It's not like I bought any other goodies ma. Plus, they also got serve us when we go visit them. So, 礼尚往来 lor.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:34 PM, bluerunner said:

Today I pass by Chevron B1 where there are some small stalls selling CNY cookie. Omg! One small can of any cookie, >$20! I dun remember paying that much last year. 

This year, chopped and confirmed not buying. Not even for home nor office. Way too expensive.  :whistle:

Ya lor! That's why i only stick to things that I would buy/eat EVEN if it's not CNY. But the spicy Prawn Rolls are so hard to find when it's not CNY period. :(

13 hours ago, Guest Tit Bit said:

For bak kwa can buy more than a month before CNY, just freeze it. CNY come then pop it in the oven before eating.

I pre-bought mine at AMK Hub. The lady was saying this is pre-CNY price, after Feb will increase price liao. Pre-order can come pick up anytime after that.

So I bought 5kg for me and family. It was around 45+. The increased price is about $50+. Not that much increase, actually. :/

But at least I earned some extra LinkPoints. xD

CNY is frustrating time of the year

spending money like money drop from sky

some its become it has become a custom to give especially to old folks (aunties relatives)

feel bad if dun give, and it reli burn the wallet

followed by huge credit card bill to clear

honestly CNY is never my favourite time of the year

16 hours ago, Nipoet said:

I pre-bought mine at AMK Hub. The lady was saying this is pre-CNY price, after Feb will increase price liao. Pre-order can come pick up anytime after that.

So I bought 5kg for me and family. It was around 45+. The increased price is about $50+. Not that much increase, actually. :/

But at least I earned some extra LinkPoints. xD

really not much of an increase loh

the link can exchange for what? very limited, Nip

and I didn't know all gays who are into lifestyle and muscle n gym all into bak kwa woh

so glad as a Chinese, CNY is never my fav Chinese fest and never bakkwa is into (though I don't gym) my top listed fd

For pineapple tarts lover (so much can go into discussing whether is it wrapped as a pillow or the unwrapped type) , I will never forget the 2017 HPB well-done video
they hit hard on audience who deemed that CNY is to  go for CNY movies (esp on kungfu style)

many will claim once a year, it is fine

3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

really not much of an increase loh

the link can exchange for what? very limited, Nip

and I didn't know all gays who are into lifestyle and muscle n gym all into bak kwa woh

so glad as a Chinese, CNY is never my fav Chinese fest and never bakkwa is into (though I don't gym) my top listed fd

For pineapple tarts lover (so much can go into discussing whether is it wrapped as a pillow or the unwrapped type) , I will never forget the 2017 HPB well-done video
they hit hard on audience who deemed that CNY is to  go for CNY movies (esp on kungfu style)

many will claim once a year, it is fine

Linkpoints redeem at NTUC lor. xD 

I'm not the muscle and gym type (hence need to go RT T.T ), that's why I love bak kwa! But eat in moderation la. :D Like, 2-3 months buy 1 time.

Not a pineapple tart person, but a Spicy Prawn Roll person. -drool- 

9 minutes ago, Nipoet said:

Linkpoints redeem at NTUC lor. xD 

I'm not the muscle and gym type (hence need to go RT T.T ), that's why I love bak kwa! But eat in moderation la. :D Like, 2-3 months buy 1 time.

Not a pineapple tart person, but a Spicy Prawn Roll person. -drool- 

cute sia

I guess that liao from ur name and your cutesy icon pic

actually in sg, we could get bak kwa all the time, don't have to wait till CNY
prawn roll is my top fav when I was a kid
but somehow as I grow er herm..... "older" ,  I can forgo prawn roll, pork floss roll or whatever bak kwa

but I looked at my parents, they somehow still enjoy eating durian or pinepart tarts, I m not sure why??????????
I don't hate all these local goodies, but somehow not eating is not a loss

when I was younger ,  I will cry if someone ate my share or didn't ask me to go for durian hunt or food hunt

Yes, I don't take tidbits like chips/crackers

(hardly . rarely, once a blue moon maybe?)

but I felt female colleagues and some men they will want to have tidbits during the planning table - not sure why?

I am old man so very traditional.  For kuih kuih I always have stock of kuih tart, kuih belanda, kuih bangket, kuih ma'mor, kok chai and hei bee hiam in pohpiah skin deep-fried.

I also serve guests deep-fried kuih bakul sandwiched between yam slices and steamed kuih bakul covered in dessicated coconut with a sprinkling of salt.

Then there is always Lim Chee Guan bakwa, ground nuts and sweetmeats like sugar-coated melon strips, sugar-coated lotus seeds, walnut in molass etc

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

kimlo

are u a Cantonese? those melon strips lotus seeds etc are typical of Cantonese
I have a sweet tooth too, I like the coconut strips

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, kimlo777 said:

I am old man so very traditional.  For kuih kuih I always have stock of kuih tart, kuih belanda, kuih bangket, kuih ma'mor, kok chai and hei bee hiam in pohpiah skin deep-fried.

I also serve guests deep-fried kuih bakul sandwiched between yam slices and steamed kuih bakul covered in dessicated coconut with a sprinkling of salt.

Then there is always Lim Chee Guan bakwa, ground nuts and sweetmeats like sugar-coated melon strips, sugar-coated lotus seeds, walnut in molass etc

14 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

kimlo

are u a Cantonese? those melon strips lotus seeds etc are typical of Cantonese
I have a sweet tooth too, I like the coconut strips

i am hakka

All in sex is fair.

19 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

oooh a hakka who knows those typical Cantonese sweets or is it cos hakka also eat those?

my grandpa from HK will have those and I luv them

hakka customs has strong cantonese influence, if i am not wrong.  but i am 90% peranakan and has very little hakka characteristics.

All in sex is fair.

32 minutes ago, kimlo777 said:

hakka customs has strong cantonese influence, if i am not wrong.  but i am 90% peranakan and has very little hakka characteristics.

Yes i rem u r a baba

suddenly u knew so much abt cantonese stuff and hakka

that is really like a big melting pot

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.