Male HQ

Front Load Washing Machine

zyjd

I've been using top load washer all my life, until recently when i moved into my own place and decided to try getting a front loader so I could stack a dryer on top of it to save space.

However, it is unnerving to see almost no water in the washer's window. Yes the clothes are wet but I don't see any water or bubbles from the detergent I added. Worried that my clothes will come out unclean or with detergent residue (I have very sensitive skin), I end up manually adding water via the detergent drawer - about 10l in total until I can see the water fill up the drum to about half. I also add about 5l of water to each rinse cycle.

It is tiring and I dread doing laundry now because I have to keep holding a heavy jug of water over the detergent drawer (on the upside my left arm has become a little stronger lol) multiple times when I fill the drum up with water. I totally regret buying a front loader (the silly salesgirl kept expounding the supposed benefits of a front loader - less water, cleaner clothes etc.).

Is this normal? Sorry I know it's quite a silly question that's why I don't dare to ask any of my colleagues and friends... I am so undomesticated I swear I could burn water.

*I am using a Samsung WW70H5200EW/SP if that helps.

Hey there! This is entirely normal. I've lived with and used front and top loaders, and in my opinion, front loaders are actually more environmentally friendly (in terms of water and energy usage) and also better for your clothes. But don't just take my word for it 

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/appliances/laundry/washing-machines/top-front-loader-pros-cons/

https://www.stayathomemum.co.uk/houseandhome/laundry/front-load-washing-machine-versus-a-top-load-washing-machine/

It uses less water and spins it around to clean properly. Don't worry about the seemingly insufficient amount of water- the washing machine is intelligent enough to detect the load and adjust the water inside! Also, it evenly distributes the water over the spin cycles, so each and every piece of clothing should be properly mixed with water and detergent. 

However, you should figure out exactly how much detergent you need because too little might look like there is no detergent and too much will cause bubbles to overflow into your floor. 

All the clothes that I've stuffed completely to the brim (like, 100% lol i'm pretty sure my washing machine hates me now) in the machine washes extremely well, and every piece has the detergent smell. With every new technology comes the need to adjust ourselves, so take your time to understand your machine!

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

10 minutes ago, Rhyn said:

Hey there! This is entirely normal. I've lived with and used front and top loaders, and in my opinion, front loaders are actually more environmentally friendly (in terms of water and energy usage) and also better for your clothes. But don't just take my word for it 

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/appliances/laundry/washing-machines/top-front-loader-pros-cons/

https://www.stayathomemum.co.uk/houseandhome/laundry/front-load-washing-machine-versus-a-top-load-washing-machine/

It uses less water and spins it around to clean properly. Don't worry about the seemingly insufficient amount of water- the washing machine is intelligent enough to detect the load and adjust the water inside! Also, it evenly distributes the water over the spin cycles, so each and every piece of clothing should be properly mixed with water and detergent. 

However, you should figure out exactly how much detergent you need because too little might look like there is no detergent and too much will cause bubbles to overflow into your floor. 

All the clothes that I've stuffed completely to the brim (like, 100% lol i'm pretty sure my washing machine hates me now) in the machine washes extremely well, and every piece has the detergent smell. With every new technology comes the need to adjust ourselves, so take your time to understand your machine!

Ok thank you! Haha perhaps like you said I just need time to get used to this machine 

Hate ‘em, top loaders for me. I’ve used both, but front loaders only in rented homes. To me, it may save water but I think it uses more electricity. Top loaders can do two washloads in the time it takes a front loader. Also, if a front loader breaks down and cannot drain itself, you are stuffed. Being a cleanliness freak, I also cannot stand not having dirty laundry swill around in a pool of water - how to get clean?

Furthermore, I would not get a front loader just so I can have a dryer, cos I hate dryers. If I lived in a cold climate, maybe. But in Singapore, just hang it out in the sun. Dryers really wear down your clothes. I hope you at least turn your clothes inside out when drying, or they will bobble before you know it.

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Hate ‘em, top loaders for me. I’ve used both, but front loaders only in rented homes. To me, it may save water but I think it uses more electricity. Top loaders can do two washloads in the time it takes a front loader. Also, if a front loader breaks down and cannot drain itself, you are stuffed. Being a cleanliness freak, I also cannot stand not having dirty laundry swill around in a pool of water - how to get clean?

Furthermore, I would not get a front loader just so I can have a dryer, cos I hate dryers. If I lived in a cold climate, maybe. But in Singapore, just hang it out in the sun. Dryers really wear down your clothes. I hope you at least turn your clothes inside out when drying, or they will bobble before you know it.

Yeah I'm also not used to how long a cycle takes: with the extra rinses I add to them my programme ends up taking 3:17. In the past a top load would be done in under an hour.

Huh we have to turn our clothes inside out when using the dryer? OMG I didn't know that and just throw my entire load up from the washer to the dryer once it's done oops.

I live in a private apartment and I can't hang my clothes outside - plus not much sun comes into my yard area so it takes a longer time to dry if I were to just hang it up.

There's now a massive sense of buyer's remorse lol. I shouldn't have listened to the xmm salesgirl at courts egging me to buy the front loader.

again like Rhyn, I have used both in my life and of course have used both jp and lately the Samsung brand (front load)
- do note that jp tend to use all topload (& do note that Japanese are tech adv and resourceful, they too do not design something ie very important yet not achieve its role)
but I m confused by the sharing of guests

so long  u press the programme u wish to have eg silk materials

daily wash- the daily wash of 1hour plus should be adequate so long u  don't work in constructions or always land yourself in muddy area like army work

if u press the appropriate setting, eg jeans/dark colours it will reflect the timing and then I don't see how it end up 3hrs?!?!?!!

the longest in my Samsung is 2hr+

and unless u press for pre wash, if not , it will not increase or extra rinsing or tumbling....

What the salegal claimed is partially true ie (the silly salesgirl kept expounding the supposed benefits of a front loader - less water, cleaner clothes etc.).

less water hence less elec, less taxing on utility (but just a small difference only)

but doesn't mean cleaner clothing, so worldwide all those using front load has dirtier in comparison clothing?

how could she said that?

and ONLY front load can use higher temperature (do note that enzymes in soap,detergent can only work up till body temp or slightly higher, so don't set a high temp for max working by enzymes) , top load cant so u cannot use higher temp to  ensure a better wash

by the way , all dishwashing machines etc uses hi temp to really kill germs and bacs on plates and cloth , we do send in our table cloth to wash too

and we always turn the tap to higher temp to wash oilier fabric and cloth

If u go to certain (self-diy) laundry shop, u need to even pay extra for setting higher temp
(humans did not design higher temp for fun but for a gd reason)

@zyjd feel free to raise more qns if need be

if to rate : I will rate front load higher scoring points

also like u rightfully mention (I don't use a dryer) , on top of a front load, we can place stuff like cloth pegs, clothes basket  and plants and etc stuff 
save a lot of space
Plus technology has made such machines so intelligent

As all of u know that lately in sg , plus  usu before CNY , it is rainy season but I did manage to do some experience , parents not at home for a week, so I have to do my own laundry (incldg towels and bedsheets of good quality)

I was surprised that all dried in one day's time (hung up in the flat)
Mine is not direct sun-facing too  (spread out your fabrics and cloth, don't lump them together , if possible hang them on two poles,instead of just 1, to ensure air pass thru)

So I m not sure when u guys expected it to be fast drying, how fast must it be? if it is within two days under normal drying/hanging method , even at rainy season, it should be quite ok

Tips: let me share one more easier method to ensure even quicker way of drying and NO wastage
U realised that it is nt drying fast enough though it is partially dried only

then u took it down and bring it to your aircon rm, before  sleep hang it directly under your aircon (anyway most of u r pampered w aircon esp if can afford a dryer, surely is pampered)

it will dry up in hours (esp in sg or even in msia, no1 wear thick clothings, some even freeball and tear up the lining/mesh in their shorts, goodness) so all our clothings are q thin

I assumed the above are not winter clothings, suite and jackets stuff like this, I will use laundry services for such items

How I get 3:17 ok my Samsung: I use the "super eco wash", increase rinse cycle to the max (5 rounds), and select all the extra options like pre-wash, soiled clothes, rinse, etc. I work in an office environment but I have a medical condition where I perspire excessively - just a 5 minute walk from the carpark to my office is enough to soak my entire shirt wet - so I usually add all the extra settings to ensure it is super clean (I'm a bit of a hygiene freak).

2 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

do note that enzymes in soap,detergent can only work up till body temp or slightly higher, so don't set a high temp for max working by enzymes

I didn't know that! I always wash my towels and blankets in 90deg water under the "baby care" settings so it is squeaky clean haha. Always thought hot water will kill the germs in a more effective way.

2 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

If u go to certain (self-diy) laundry shop, u need to even pay extra for setting higher temp

Yeah am aware of this. I visit the coin laundry once a week to wash my dog's towel, bedding, and blanket plus all the floor rags I have because I don't want to dirty my machine. I select this "ozone" function - there are numerous posters around showing the supposed efficacy of it - but tbh I don't really see any difference in cleanliness. Keep scamming my extra $1 for that silly function.

3 minutes ago, zyjd said:

How I get 3:17 ok my Samsung: I use the "super eco wash", increase rinse cycle to the max (5 rounds), and select all the extra options like pre-wash, soiled clothes, rinse, etc. I work in an office environment but I have a medical condition where I perspire excessively - just a 5 minute walk from the carpark to my office is enough to soak my entire shirt wet - so I usually add all the extra settings to ensure it is super clean (I'm a bit of a hygiene freak).

I didn't know that! I always wash my towels and blankets in 90deg water under the "baby care" settings so it is squeaky clean haha. Always thought hot water will kill the germs in a more effective way.

Yeah am aware of this. I visit the coin laundry once a week to wash my dog's towel, bedding, and blanket plus all the floor rags I have because I don't want to dirty my machine. I select this "ozone" function - there are numerous posters around showing the supposed efficacy of it - but tbh I don't really see any difference in cleanliness. Keep scamming my extra $1 for that silly function.

one way is to use the old housewives' method, soak your clothing before washing to remove all that odour due to med condition

I trust many males face similar problems just like u, I called them 汗宝宝
(a few even a little bit of spicy stuff and they behave as though they r drenched in the rain)
but again if u felt better w the 3:17 then so b it, i dont think such good functions will be offered by top load

baby care is for baby due to their delicate skin and i do that is cos there r kids in my family and we are washing them by using special baby washing detergent/soap ( dont tell me u r using that) and reason why the function is cos baby clothing are tiny , we dont wanna have the buttons and designs dropping off from their cute clothing after a few wash

Your towel is not that delicate right?

yes , hot water kills germs as well as the enzymes in the soap (unless your soap has no enzymes to perform their function)
so to me , to kill germs hot water which is why some pour water in for soaking first

some choose not to wash w soap (w enzymes) so the hot water will not have an issue in killing enzymes

- all these are Biological facts (not cooked up from some hearsay or myths), and yes I studied Pure bio when in secondary sch

Of cos if u luv the extra hot water or ozone or whatever special eco function , u name it they have it but it s all front load
which is why I m confused why did u say u regret your choice

yes it is a norm that no1 will wash their rags and dog stuff in their own machine (except some of my lady frens they have done it all in their own homes, yucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they claimed that the high heat from the machine will kill all their germs ), no matter how dirty they are, again didn't this prove that front load is good ? cos a topload will never allow u to have higher temp in the waters

44 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

but it s all front load
which is why I m confused why did u say u regret your choice

Haha I regret because it takes sooo long and I see no water inside! Whereas for those coin laundry ones it only takes 39 mins and I can see water splashing around inside.

46 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

汗宝宝

I can't speak much Chinese let alone read lol what are those characters?

1 minute ago, zyjd said:

Haha I regret because it takes sooo long and I see no water inside! Whereas for those coin laundry ones it only takes 39 mins and I can see water splashing around inside.

I can't speak much Chinese let alone read lol what are those characters?

one cannot regret just cos of seeing no water

and again you choose to press all the function

nex time try pressing just one function eg daily wash or cotton

and then u will see your "water" coming soon

U already mentioned that the coin laundry is a short duration (compared to your LONG 3hour+)  one

u have to get it translated (homework for u, so that u will spend time worry unduly on a machine). rem in another thread? I asked about is it due to your culture  hence there was an issue......

I was trying to help u narrow down, sadly u didn't mention about your race or culture u r in

Rem?

Guest Dry in shade

You can buy certain brands of detergent powder designed for indoor drying with anti-bacterial agents so there won’t be that smell. Tbh, I often wonder how some people can walk around with clothes that have that smell.

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

u have to get it translated (homework for u, so that u will spend time worry unduly on a machine). rem in another thread? I asked about is it due to your culture  hence there was an issue......

I was trying to help u narrow down, sadly u didn't mention about your race or culture u r in

Rem?

Google translates it as "Sweat Baby". Hmmm.

I'm a Singaporean Chinese, lah. No need to help me narrow down what I already am haha. The environment I was brought up in wasn't very local though. And due to some issues I'm not really Chinese literate... but I really wish I could be proficient in it unlike some people who pretend to not be able to speak it - order banmian also macam so difficult.

Guest Detergent counts
1 hour ago, Guest Dry in shade said:

You can buy certain brands of detergent powder designed for indoor drying with anti-bacterial agents so there won’t be that smell. Tbh, I often wonder how some people can walk around with clothes that have that smell.

Never try ‘top’ detergent for front loaders. They suck! Clothes not clean and remained smelly after washing. There is literally no difference before and after washing! 

Guest Malaysia truly asia
2 minutes ago, Guest Detergent counts said:

Never try ‘top’ detergent for front loaders. They suck! Clothes not clean and remained smelly after washing. There is literally no difference before and after washing! 

Pssst.... its a malaysian brand. No wonder!

Guest sweatalot

after trying different types for indoor drying. i now swear by "quick clean" by attack. got rid of the sweat smell even with only one rinse cycle.

11 minutes ago, Guest Detergent counts said:

Lol I used to use persil. Then I found it didn't work well on the front loader.

The name Top says it all: it's meant for tops using Top loads. And nothing wrong with buatan Malaysia ok. Many good things come out from there too haha.

17 minutes ago, Guest Detergent counts said:

Mine ok leh

suddenly many guests

good to learn good chinese

not singnese ok?

gd to know your culture u grew up too

26 minutes ago, zyjd said:

Google translates it as "Sweat Baby". Hmmm.

I'm a Singaporean Chinese, lah. No need to help me narrow down what I already am haha. The environment I was brought up in wasn't very local though. And due to some issues I'm not really Chinese literate... but I really wish I could be proficient in it unlike some people who pretend to not be able to speak it - order banmian also macam so difficult.

Guest Top behaved like bottom
4 minutes ago, zyjd said:

Lol I used to use persil. Then I found it didn't work well on the front loader.

The name Top says it all: it's meant for tops using Top loads. And nothing wrong with buatan Malaysia ok. Many good things come out from there too haha.

Top actually is made meant for front loaders. Its stated on the packaging, with less suds, which front loaders can’t handle. No matter how much more powder i put, still unclean, and end up with powder residue on clothes. Persil worked like a charm for me. Smells great too without that damp odour unlike using top.

Malaysia produced lots of nice things. This i agree. But even more ugly things came out of it, a large percentage which ended up in singapore.

I am using front load cos the condo gave me. I always set the temperature lower to 30 degree n wash timing to 1.15hr to 50 mins. So far no issue w unclean clothes.

38 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

Mine ok leh

suddenly many guests

Bitch please!!  At least they are all different guests, and not someone posting under 3 different accounts. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Guest Top behaved like bottom said:

Persil worked like a charm for me. Smells great too without that damp odour unlike using top.

I had the damp moldy smell with the persil I used to use for my top load so it threw the entire box down the rubbish chute. My friend recommended me this liquid Korean MLM brand called Atomy so I tried it out and it seemed fine; stuck with it since lor. But it's expensive at $18 for a 1l bottle :(

1 hour ago, Guest Top behaved like bottom said:

Malaysia produced lots of nice things. This i agree. But even more ugly things came out of it, a large percentage which ended up in singapore.

Yes and cheap petrol/groceries too. Now I almost exclusively pump Petronas and buy home essentials from Jusco hahaha #pennypinching

The only ugly thing that come out from them are the pesky motorbikes. Anyhow ride on the roads, cutting in and out, overtaking from the left etc.. They don't want their life nevermind. I want my license.

Edited by zyjd

I love my new Samsung front load washer. It save more than half of my water usage. Plus clothes are cleaner after each wash. 

No more tangled of all clothes. In the past my polo t or t-shirt always get tiny holes on collar etc. No more such issue with front load. 

To get cleaner whiter or brighter clothes. Do add 2 big scoops of baking soda to your wash. The result is amazing. You can cut down the use of detergent if you add baking soda. 

2 hours ago, zyjd said:

I had the damp moldy smell with the persil I used to use for my top load so it threw the entire box down the rubbish chute. My friend recommended me this liquid Korean MLM brand called Atomy so I tried it out and it seemed fine; stuck with it since lor. But it's expensive at $18 for a 1l bottle :(

Yes and cheap petrol/groceries too. Now I almost exclusively pump Petronas and buy home essentials from Jusco hahaha #pennypinching

The only ugly thing that come out from them are the pesky motorbikes. Anyhow ride on the roads, cutting in and out, overtaking from the left etc.. They don't want their life nevermind. I want my license.

Ah yes, i forgot to mention the difference in detergent because front loaders use temperature and low water to achieve the same cleaning standards as a top loader that purely uses water.

Since you’re using front loafers, you need to know that the detergent is affected by front loaders, and the difference is the front ones regulate the temperature and water. 

So in detergent, there are usually two categories: non-biological or biological powder/fluids. The difference between these two is that one operates and cleanses your clothes optimally at 30-40 degrees temperature, and the germs and sweat will go off just fine! (No need for high temperature, because some bacteria even thrive in above 90 degrees Celsius temperatures!) Biological contains enzymes that help with grease etc, which is best used in 30-40 degrees Celsius. Non-bio works best above 40 degrees Celsius. Refer to this article! It has comprehensive coverage on when to use and what to choose, between bio and non-bio types of laundry detergent (: https://www.persil.com/uk/laundry/laundry-tips/washing-tips/difference-bio-non-bio-detergent.html 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

42 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I love my new Samsung front load washer. It save more than half of my water usage. Plus clothes are cleaner after each wash. 

No more tangled of all clothes. In the past my polo t or t-shirt always get tiny holes on collar etc. No more such issue with front load. 

To get cleaner whiter or brighter clothes. Do add 2 big scoops of baking soda to your wash. The result is amazing. You can cut down the use of detergent if you add baking soda. 

Indeed!
so much advantage though the holes' issues are not resolved from the same Samsung front load

yes, plenty of solutions to cleaner clothing, not by increasing the working hours of our machine

persil is never a brand at the back of my mind though

so much is learnt from the article

What is biological detergent? Biological detergents contain enzymes that help break down the fatty, greasy, and starchy compounds that are found in some of the most common clothing stains such as pasta sauces, bike oil, and hamburger grease. These enzymes work to lift the stains out of fabrics, making them excellent stain removers and  a very welcome addition to laundry detergents, turning stain removal into a quick and easy task.  

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I use Kao color bleach! Always add a capful of it together with whatever detergent I'm using. Wonder if I mix baking soda and the color bleach together will rainbows appear out of the washer hahaha

46 minutes ago, zyjd said:

I use Kao color bleach! Always add a capful of it together with whatever detergent I'm using. Wonder if I mix baking soda and the color bleach together will rainbows appear out of the washer hahaha

too much bleach is not a good thing esp on quality clothing/undies

n I don't think the colour bleach is really helpful

after using so much bleach , u still need 3 hour? and thinking of baking soda?

it s best for whites

Try to cut down on bleach and use baking soda instead. Bleach is bad for environment and baking soda is safe for environment. Add some regular vinegar to your last rinse cycle soften your laundry too.  

Most importantly must always "wash/clean" your machine. Washing machine's drum is a place where mould and germs like to inhibit. So regular cleaning ensure your clothes are truly clean

One can also add a spoon or two of BORAX to the wash to enhance the effectiveness of the detergent and so use less of it.

I find modern front loaders superior to the old top loaders in many aspects. While old dryers work as good as new ones.

Dear all Front Loader Washing Machine user, front loader cannot allow too much water and detergent bubble. It will damage the washing machine... It is supposed to be like that.. less water usage. 

It is clean.. it is different from top loader, you cannot load too much clothes at one time to wash. Just follow the procedure from the guide.. 

不要假厉害。

Understand first how both machine works to clean the clothes.

Top loading

Clothes are soaked in a tub of sud water and the tub rotates back n forth to force the sud water to flow over and thru the fabric, cleaning it. You also notice there's  more lint collected end of washing. 

Front loading

The clothes are wet just enough with sud water and while the tub roll, the wet clothes get "dropped" continuously to clean the fabric. This action is similar  to the old traditional wash but hitting with stick. Here, with less water used in the first wash,  the sud concentration is much higher which in turn providing a cleaner wash with less sud  powder. Always use low sud washing powder here, too much sud reduces the dropping cleaning effect, this you can see happening from the glass window. 

Front loading may take much longer time but who needs to watch over the wash cycle, you can always do something else productively.

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

The clothes are wet just enough with sud water and while the tub roll, the wet clothes get "dropped" continuously to clean the fabric.

Eh. I load my machine to the brim, to the point that I end up stuffing it sometimes. I don't see any tumbling or dropping action as a result. Does that mean it isn't cleaning as optimally?

On 01/02/2018 at 7:14 AM, Guest Guest said:

Add some regular vinegar to your last rinse cycle soften your laundry too.

I tried this yesterday and my clothes came out smelling like puke... I had to rewash everything :(

For the baking soda do you put it into the drum itself with the clothes or in the detergent drawer?

On 2/1/2018 at 3:44 AM, leechee2010 said:

where to get borax in sg?

It seems that it is a "controlled substance" in SG.

I could bring you some from the US next time I visit, but I'm afraid your Customs could mistake it for another "controlled substance" that is snored, and give me the death penalty.

Guest yahoo yoohoo
5 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

It seems that it is a "controlled substance" in SG.

I could bring you some from the US next time I visit, but I'm afraid your Customs could mistake it for another "controlled substance" that is snored, and give me the death penalty.

"   but I'm afraid your Customs could mistake it for another "controlled substance" that is snored, and give me the death penalty. "

Image result for ROFL gifs

Related image

Are you nuts ??   Steve 5380 , have our police ever searched you and made a false arrest, you are maligning.

1 hour ago, Guest I hate MOLD said:

class action from owners of front load wshing machine in US with mold problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lSdyNmeB78

Yes, I had this problem with my front-loading washer, that started to stink.  I solved it by leaving the door always open, and using borax in each load.

1 hour ago, Guest yahoo yoohoo said:

"   but I'm afraid your Customs could mistake it for another "controlled substance" that is snored, and give me the death penalty. "

Related image

Are you nuts ??   Steve 5380 , have our police ever searched you and made a false arrest, you are maligning.

It's nice to see that you Singaporeans have a sense of humor over this death penalty hanging over your heads if they catch you with some dope when entering the country :lol:

12 hours ago, zyjd said:

Eh. I load my machine to the brim, to the point that I end up stuffing it sometimes. I don't see any tumbling or dropping action as a result. Does that mean it isn't cleaning as optimally?

Yes, with a regular front loading washing machine, I would say the clothes level should not exceed the "half line" of the washer window.

Edited by SuperSentai

皆々様には、御機嫌麗しゅう、恐悦至極に存じ奉ります。

25 minutes ago, SuperSentai said:

Yes, with a regular front loading washing machine, I would say the clothes level should not exceed the "half line" of the washer window.

true

and b it front or topload mold and dirt exist too after years of usage as well as

from all your fav chilli container/scoop to scoop chilli sauce that all Singaporeans hanker after
to toilet doors/buttons

I tot we have ended on this top , never did I expect to see another topic on equipment or cars coming up (we shd separate a group just for all products instead)

was wishing some males having opinions on sound systems , I tot all males like such stuff?
why are males so "housemaker" into such hairdryer lah, dryer lah, washer lah

next will be the multipurp vacumn cleaner by Dyson

15 hours ago, zyjd said:

Yes,  you're  overloading. 

Simple logic - how to clean the clothes when they're  so packed? 

For front loading washing machines after using for some months , inevitably you will have this musty odor funky odor coming from your clothes because inside the washing machine where you can't see under the stainless steel drums there will be hidden mold and fungus growing, and then causing very bad odors, the rubber and  water proof gaskets will also grow mold and cause bad smell, 

even if you religiously clean the rubber gasket under the glass front door after every wash , wipe it with vinegar and air dry , and vent the whole set up with a fan , eventually front load washing machines with a glass door located at knee level facing the front will  eventually stink up , its because of its design with the front door facing horizintally for home owners to load their laundry from the front, hot moist air rises up not do an L shape movement to get out of the machine so there alwasys be mosit air stuck in the front load washing machine.

Image result for front load washing machines door gasket mold pics

Its very mar farn to keep having to stoop down and wipe and clean the rubber door seals religiously everytime, everyday, and then making sure it can dry completely, its a lot of work to position an electric  fan to point at the precise angle to blast air into the drum of the washing machines to dry them properly and after all these effort you still find mold growing in some dark corner of these washing machines. 

The solution is to buy French made top loading but horizontal tumble washing machines like brands from THOMSON, Brandt, CANDY .

the dry so much better on their own . 

For example,

tomtop_m.png      http://www.brandt.sg/laundryBWT2812T

Related image

Related image

top load washing machine

These washing machines tumble and drop the clothes like a front loading washer , but the foor opens at the top and you load the clothes from the top , advantages are home owners do not need to bend down to load and unload laundry, good for those old and frail and those with painful knees and poor back muscles or sore back, 

and after washing, leaving the door open will allow hot steamy water vapor and moisture to rise by convection naturally and it vents and dries itself.the door opens upwards and outwards.

these type of washing machine is also more compact in dimension then normal front load , it has hot water settings too nad uses the same low suds washing powder as front loaders and washes in the same duration.

Except in Singapore's case , they are considered more expensive as less people will buy these type but they are available at Courts, and Best Denki and some established electrical neighbourhood shops in Ang MO KIO.

17 hours ago, zyjd said:

I tried this yesterday and my clothes came out smelling like puke... I had to rewash everything :(

For the baking soda do you put it into the drum itself with the clothes or in the detergent drawer?

drawer

Now we can clearly see where is the issue even though set at more than 3hours per wash

and then blaming that the front loader spoilt soon after a year
goodness
Spend time on reading up the right sources , don't spend time discussing too much over here

now is time to walk the talk now

17 hours ago, zyjd said:

poor thing , even for coin machine, they clearly indicated half too
and I mentioned in a diff thread that no 1 should be doing their laundry once per week esp undies

https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/topic/93569-front-load-washing-machine/?do=findComment&comment=1927849

I usually put the baking soda inside the drum all the way inside before adding my clothes. For detergent I highly recommend tides brand. It is HE. mean high efficiency for front load machine. 

Don't forget to use your machine 'clean drums' function every now and then. I do it every 2 months with a pack of washing machine cleaning powder which I bought from daiso. 

I also hv high absorbant small towel to clean the rubber tub and removed detergent drawer and dry the inside each time after using. Make sure the front door always open. This will ensure less mold build up. Machine  always smell good. 

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I usually put the baking soda inside the drum all the way inside before adding my clothes. For detergent I highly recommend tides brand. It is HE. mean high efficiency for front load machine. 

Don't forget to use your machine 'clean drums' function every now and then. I do it every 2 months with a pack of washing machine cleaning powder which I bought from daiso. 

I also hv high absorbant small towel to clean the rubber tub and removed detergent drawer and dry the inside each time after using. Make sure the front door always open. This will ensure less mold build up. Machine  always smell good. 

inside the drum? but there r holes in the drum so it is as gd as disposing the bakg soda woh

" In a small bowl, mix together the baking soda and warm water. Place it in the detergent slot of your machine, as if you were doing a regular wash with powder or liquid" https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/89519063/How-to-clean-your-front-loading-washing-machine

I agree w the cleaning drum function too
For those who don't hve the clean drum function

can press "soak"  (Since the Samsung brand is often mentioned here)

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/skp/faq/135996
http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/home-appliances/samsung-top-loader-washer-how-to-clean-a-washing-drum-in-automatic-mode/

• Guest locked this topic