Male HQ

Cars Discussions

zyjd

23 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Meaning LCR is selling the cars in the secondhand market ?

yes, they are trying to offload these vehicles onto the secondhand market. A few examples:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=708760&DL=1189

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=690573&DL=3052

And there are many more on the market with tampered mileage.

22 hours ago, thorzguy said:

I am driving a Toyota Axio. I know I know, is a very uncle car. Hahaha..  I am being very pragmatic over aesthetics. I have to prioritize  my Mom & family. Also, no offence, but it is made in Japan. Very very reliable. 

Good on you! If I do not have other commitments, I would considered a coupe. Lol. Say only la. Hahaha..

Yup. Just be wary. Take a look at some of these PHV on the roads. Looked as if they went thru bumper car war. So much dents and bumps, and the way some of them drives, brakes, tyres and engine already half gone. 

haha yeah Axio might be uncle but it's one of the most reliable cars in the market now. My customer recently traded in his Axio with 3 months left and 295,000km on the odometer, and the car's air-con was still cold, suspension didn't make funny noises, and cabin was free from rattles when I went over poorly paved roads. I was very impressed haha.

19 hours ago, Elotex said:

I saw only turbo 1.0M and 1.6A... Auto for 1.6 only unfortunately... Unless you like to hold a stick then 1.0 is ok la...

I love sticks! Especially the human male one. :P

14 minutes ago, zyjd said:

yes, they are trying to offload these vehicles onto the secondhand market. A few examples:

haha yeah Axio might be uncle but it's one of the most reliable cars in the market now. My customer recently traded in his Axio with 3 months left and 295,000km on the odometer, and the car's air-con was still cold, suspension didn't make funny noises, and cabin was free from rattles when I went over poorly paved roads. I was very impressed haha.

But it didn't mention anywhere that it was offloaded by LCR leh ?

Don't read and response to guests' post

19 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

But it didn't mention anywhere that it was offloaded by LCR leh ?

of course they won't say it's formerly an LCR car. But can tell from the mileage clocked that it was almost certainly used as a private hire vehicle in its previous life. If you're eagle-eyed, you'd spot the LTA PHV decal on the windscreens of the Attrage.

17 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

How do we know or check that the mileage had been tampered with ?

nearly impossible to ascertain, but usually those 8 or 9 year old cars with mileages between 80,000km to 100,000km have had their odometers tampered with.

(Disclaimer: I said "usually", because there are also many 9 year old cars that are judiciously driven and clocked rather insignificant mileage.)

One way to check is to see if the car has service records; if it doesn't have any or has only the last 1 or 2, alarm bells should sound. Otherwise, if the car is still bearing the original license plate from day 1 (previous owner didn't retain it etc.), can call the authorized distributor's service centre to check on the mileage the car clocked the last time it was being sent for servicing there. If you were to ask "Hi, I'm enquiring about SKT1234B mileage at the last servicing.", they obviously won't release it to you because of PDPA, but if you are creative with your question, they will more often than not release the mileage and last service date to you happily. Haha.

Guest Guest
7 hours ago, zyjd said:

I also heard Axio is a workhorse

Guest Guest

I cannot wait for the arrival of the Tesla anymore. I have booked and will be getting my Hyundai Ioniq Electric in 6 months time. This model was display at both Singapore Motor Show 2018 and Cars@Expo. It may not have the cool look of a Tesla but the technology may be good at the price.

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I cannot wait for the arrival of the Tesla anymore. I have booked and will be getting my Hyundai Ioniq Electric in 6 months time. This model was display at both Singapore Motor Show 2018 and Cars@Expo. It may not have the cool look of a Tesla but the technology may be good at the price.

wah! When did you book it? How come must wait 6 months for it?

On ‎13‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, Ironrod said:

Ahaha ok, @thorzguy maybe it's time we meet up again. It's been awhile my friend. I will show u my new ride :D

Yeah. The last I bumped into A, was last year I think? Did he tell you? 

Maybe is good to get the usual gang out for a meal. Hehehe... 

On ‎14‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, zyjd said:

Apart from wear and tear, almost problem free and fuel consumption is considered low (I do ram at times, no choice la, no power mah. Hahahaa). What more to ask right? Lol 

And who doesn't love the male sticks here? Ahem. :lol:

My car broke down ytd... The clutch no pressure, not bouncing back up when depressed :(

I was otw to school to do some shoot and sh** happens...

Now ok alr... Retrofit a Toyota clutch pump...

vroom vroom

2 minutes ago, Elotex said:

My car broke down ytd... The clutch no pressure, not bouncing back up when depressed :(

I was otw to school to do some shoot and sh** happens...

Now ok alr... Retrofit a Toyota clutch pump...

What car is that?

8 minutes ago, zyjd said:

Oh ya... paiseh I forgot haha.

T11 should be able to work with Toyota parts coz it's a rebadged Toyota iirc. 

The T11 isn't a rebadged Toyota... It is a copy of the old RAV4 and mix of old CRV... All parts are Chinese...

I think you are confused with the Zotye model exist in SG... That one is a rebadged old Terios or also the Kembara.

vroom vroom

58 minutes ago, Elotex said:

The T11 isn't a rebadged Toyota... It is a copy of the old RAV4 and mix of old CRV... All parts are Chinese...

I think you are confused with the Zotye model exist in SG... That one is a rebadged old Terios or also the Kembara.

oh! Always thought the T11 is a rebadged XA20 RAV4. TIL something new.

9 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

What is the best small car to drive ?  Like below 1300cc 

Ford Focus or Fiesta (if they have stock). Both cars are brilliant to drive and they both use the award winning 1.0 EcoBoost engine. Another one to consider (but very out of the ordinary) would be the 996cc Toyota Tank that's brought in by parallel importers. It's a bare-bones basic underpowered car but it's very spacious for family use and you get the legendary Toyota reliability. Toyota's philosophy of QDR (Quality, Durability, Reliability) is exemplified through its JDM models like the Tank and the Axio.

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, zyjd said:

Ford Focus or Fiesta (if they have stock). Both cars are brilliant to drive and they both use the award winning 1.0 EcoBoost engine. Another one to consider (but very out of the ordinary) would be the 996cc Toyota Tank that's brought in by parallel importers. It's a bare-bones basic underpowered car but it's very spacious for family use and you get the legendary Toyota reliability. Toyota's philosophy of QDR (Quality, Durability, Reliability) is exemplified through its JDM models like the Tank and the Axio.

Less than 1.6l got power bo

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Less than 1.6l got power bo

the 1.0 ecoboost engine is turbocharged and produces 123bhp and 170Nm of torque. In comparison, the Honda Civic 1.6 has also 123bhp but only 152Nm of torque.

So yes, definitely enough power.

Btw I just learned the Fiesta is on an indent-basis only so can leave that out yah @LeanMature

10 hours ago, LeanMature said:

What is the best small car to drive ?  Like below 1300cc 

Other than what @zyjd have mentioned... The new VW Golf is also now a 1.0 engine only.

But as most of us know... VW will have this and that... This is a small car.

The new Audi A3 Sedan and HB is also 1.0... Reliability can be considered the same as VW as it is under a grp...

The Audi Q2 1.0 as well... I dun think this is a small car by any means.

Brought by PI, the Civic 1.0 is also avail which is built in UK... This is huge...

Kona by Hyundai is another good choice... TheStraightPipes loved this car when compared to CHR and Vezel... But again... Only manual variant avail for 1.0. A crossover so quite huge.

Opel Astra also has a 1.0... Quite a few on the road... Kinda small, like Focus and the rest.

Most of Seat's fleet in SG is also 1.0... Reliability should be same as VW due to its under a roof.

Otherwise... The Toyota Tank as mentioned, which is like a Kenari. Seen before and I really like its practicality and functionality. But its very bare.

The NBox also, same class as the Tank but with a 660cc engine.

Other than that, Axia 1.0, Bezza 1.3, Attrage/SpaceStar 1.2

vroom vroom

5 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Didn't know so many 1.0 engine models on the road.  Some look quite big like the 1.6.  Wonder the turbo charge will wear out the small engine faster or lost power after a few years ?

Yeap... Surprisingly there are a lot.... But most dont choose the 1.0 variant... Maybe cz they think underpower or something... But road tax sure cheap ah below $400

vroom vroom

3 hours ago, LeanMature said:

When you are buying a second hand car, what are the checklist besides the following:

1.  Signal / brake / headlights.

2.  Tyres

3.  Battery

4.  Engine oil/ coolant

5.  Timing belt 

Open the bonnet and look around to see if any welding has been done to the metal. If the car you're looking at is 7 years old but all the parts inside look new and shiny, alarm bells should ring because there is a chance the car was involved in an accident and had to have everything replaced. Do the same to the boot: lift up the boot board to look at the spare tyre wheel well, the paint there should look a little faded. If it has a fresh coat of paint, hmmmm.

Also, use your phone's torchlight to shine on the screws - if there are lines around the screw (signs a spanner was used to open it) then you have to ask if anything happened to the car before. If the dealer says no, it's your judgment call from there if you want to continue trusting anything he says.

Check for signs of rust along the undercarriage - this is usually applicable only for cars with renewed COE as it's not common these days to have rust on a vehicle less than a decade old.

Moving on to the interior, turn the engine on and see if the air-con is cold. If the car is 9 years old you can't expect it to be arctic like a brand new Toyota Altis, but if there's almost no cold air coming out, a new compressor can easily set you back upwards of $500, depending on the brand of car and whether you're getting a used compressor or a new one.

Shifting the gear from P to D should be smooth and the car should not hesitate to move off once you're in Drive. Watch the engine RPM too when you shift from Park or Neutral to Drive - it should not dip too much from idle.

Take the car for a test drive, and go over bumps and potholes - shouldn't have groaning or knocking sounds from the suspension. Bring the car to a corner at a slightly higher than normal speed (but do it safely!), And see if there are knocking sounds coming from the side that you are turning towards - knocks are a sign of CV joints or engine mounts starting to fail. But be forgivable, lah. If the car you're looking at has like 6 months left, a bit of creaks or knocks here and there are ok and should be able to last you till scrapday.

Also, low mileage cars are not necessarily better: most high mileage cars would have had the main wear and tear parts replaced already, while the low mileage car might still be using the same part from the factory 8 years ago.

This is what I can think of so far! Will add to this list if I suddenly remember something. Hope it helps! Haha.

4 hours ago, zyjd said:

Open the bonnet and look around to see if any welding has been done to the metal. If the car you're looking at is 7 years old but all the parts inside look new and shiny, alarm bells should ring because there is a chance the car was involved in an accident and had to have everything replaced. Do the same to the boot: lift up the boot board to look at the spare tyre wheel well, the paint there should look a little faded. If it has a fresh coat of paint, hmmmm.....

Or just bring u along lol

11 hours ago, Ironrod said:

Or just bring u along lol

That's absolutely the best way. Heheee...

1 hour ago, LeanMature said:

Yeah, bring you along. I don't think a person can be shy in the salelines.  Maybe what you need is a service charge.  Lol.

Or pay in kind. Lol..

Apart from the checks, it also depends if the dealer is trustworthy. And a matter of your luck.  Having said that, have a good time shopping. Am sure you will find some good buys out there. :)

2 hours ago, thorzguy said:

That's absolutely the best way. Heheee...

Or pay in kind. Lol..

Apart from the checks, it also depends if the dealer is trustworthy. And a matter of your luck.  Having said that, have a good time shopping. Am sure you will find some good buys out there. :)

Pay in kind, can also. Maybe a dinner.  

Yah, it is really hard to gauge how trustworthy a dealer can be. Even if you know, he may not have the car that you want. 

10 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Pay in kind, can also. Maybe a dinner.  

Yah, it is really hard to gauge how trustworthy a dealer can be. Even if you know, he may not have the car that you want. 

Haha. Let me know if you need help, lah. I definitely don't know everything but will be happy to assist if I can. :)

@zyjd, ask u something ah, me not sure abt such $$ matters..

say last yr 2nd half of e yr, I bought a new car at 105k incl coe at 53k (rounded fig for simplicity)

would it be feasible to buy back same new car with e latest cheaper coe at ard 38k? was just wondering would save some $$ not..

59 minutes ago, Guest ball said:

@zyjd, ask u something ah, me not sure abt such $$ matters..

say last yr 2nd half of e yr, I bought a new car at 105k incl coe at 53k (rounded fig for simplicity)

would it be feasible to buy back same new car with e latest cheaper coe at ard 38k? was just wondering would save some $$ not..

I would first of all need to know the following:

1. What car did you buy?

2. What was the loan amount and tenure you took?

I'll compare with the current prices and do the math to see if it's worth it to change.

3 hours ago, Guest Tesla said:

Tesla charges into Singapore. Hong Seh Motors brings in Tesla, sourced from HK, for sale in Singapore with starting price at $426,800 (Including COE).

I rather buy house hahaha...

I really like Tesla's innovations and thier tech... But it doesnt make sense to own it with that kind of pricing...

vroom vroom

7 hours ago, Elotex said:

I really like Tesla's innovations and thier tech... But it doesnt make sense to own it with that kind of pricing...

This type of pricing is for people with high SES.  I am sure there is a market here if Hong Seh Motor bring in the Tesla.

On ‎20‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, zyjd said:

Haha. Let me know if you need help, lah. I definitely don't know everything but will be happy to assist if I can. :)

Thanks Bro.  I can only offer you a dinner though.  

Guest Guest
On 08/02/2018 at 6:17 PM, Guest Guest Annoyed said:

TS seems to be trying to use this thread subtlely to promote his services. 

The rest are wise enough to judge. If you think he is doing so, yet you don't want his help, just ignore him loh. Simple as that.

21 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

Turf club will do lah.  You working at the car mall there right ?

lol no I am working at one of the distributors at Alexandra. I sell new cars, not used cars, but have quite a lot of contacts in the used car market.

No need for a meal, lah. I am fat enough. I love cars so I'm always more than happy to help others with cars if and where I can. :)

Guest Tesla
16 hours ago, Elotex said:

Smart thinking. 

As for me, I will drive a rental for 1 day when I have the opportunity overseas.

15 hours ago, zyjd said:

lol no I am working at one of the distributors at Alexandra. I sell new cars, not used cars, but have quite a lot of contacts in the used car market.

No need for a meal, lah. I am fat enough. I love cars so I'm always more than happy to help others with cars if and where I can. :)

Then IKEA will do.. haha.

16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Opel mokka is v nice.

Come July are cars going to be more ex? The new tax is coming in?

Mokka got that fat cute design... But heard funtionality and features are quite limited...

VES some cars go up 20K... Axia 1.0 now 60+k... July become 80+k, posted by Perodua SG

vroom vroom

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Elotex said:

Mokka got that fat cute design... But heard funtionality and features are quite limited...

VES some cars go up 20K... Axia 1.0 now 60+k... July become 80+k, posted by Perodua SG

Meaning everyone will rush in to buy b4 July!!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.