Male HQ

Cars Discussions

zyjd

On 7/6/2018 at 8:31 AM, Guest Guest said:

Do you think the reduced COE will lay for a few months till the cars expo fair in ?Oct or ?nov or it will go up again next month? Wondering whether to wait till the car expos before getting one. Hmmm. 

the next few biddings sure go up - a rebound is expected after Honda closed 500 cars over the weekend at both branches (Ubi and Leng Kee), Hyundai did 470 at their Alexandra HQ, Mazda did 300. But after 4 rounds or so I think it will go down again, maybe even below the current low of $25,000. This is due to the lack of support level in the prices - current prices are too low for dealers to bid high for COE; they don't have enough bidding power for it to go above $35,000.

There will be a spike, but it will drop again. Just be patient.

Disclaimer: the above is my opinion only yah. Later people say I act industry expert etc. again haha.

Guest Guest
On 5/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, zyjd said:

If I knew the answer I'd play around with the lottery every day. :)

But if you're asking about a prediction, I think COE might continue dropping in the coming months, especially after July when many cars

7 minutes ago, zyjd said:

thanks

Guest Guest

Thanks. Actually I am quite confused about the coe bidding exercise. There will be a new price every 2 weeks? Wondering whether to quickly rush into getting one now or watch and wait till oct during the expos car fair again. Do you know when the fair will be? Early October or November? Thanks again! 

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Thanks. Actually I am quite confused about the coe bidding exercise. There will be a new price every 2 weeks? Wondering whether to quickly rush into getting one now or watch and wait till oct during the expos car fair again. Do you know when the fair will be? Early October or November? Thanks again! 

there are 2 bids a month - they always fall on the first and third Wednesday of each month. Car prices definitely will fluctuate together with the COE - if COE shoots up you'll end up paying more as well. This is the raison d'etre why everyone is rushing to the showrooms to book their purchases - COE is now the lowest in close to 9 years and car prices have dipped (quite significantly) as well.

The next expo is in October. Do you urgently need a car now? Is your current car expiring in October/November? If the answer is no to both questions, my suggestion is to wait till the next cars@expo in October. COE prices should fall again by then (whether below current levels, I can't accurately predict), and if your current ride isn't expiring in October/November, you can afford to get the cheaper non-guaranteed COE packages then and not top-up to guaranteed COE packages. Don't rush into a decision now just because everyone is buying cars. :)

Guest Leanmature
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:43 AM, zyjd said:

the next few biddings sure go up - a rebound is expected after Honda closed 500 cars over the weekend at both branches (Ubi and Leng Kee), Hyundai did 470 at their Alexandra HQ, Mazda did 300. But after 4 rounds or so I think it will go down again, maybe even below the current low of $25,000. This is due to the lack of support level in the prices - current prices are too low for dealers to bid high for COE; they don't have enough bidding power for it to go above $35,000.

There will be a spike, but it will drop again. Just be patient.

Disclaimer: the above is my opinion only yah. Later people say I act industry expert etc. again haha.

Is that right to say that if I extend my COE for another 5 years, I will just pay $12,500 or $25,000 for 10 years ?

On 7/9/2018 at 11:26 PM, Guest Guest said:

What Cat A car is now good to buy in your opinion?

Or should just go Cat B

What CAT A car is good to buy imo? Depends on a lot of factors: what's your budget, what you'll use the car for, are you a high mileage driver, what features are important to you, etc.

The focus is now on CAT A cars. CAT A COE will definitely shoot up on next Wednesday's bidding (18 July) but CAT B might drop or at most increase just a little. If you want a CAT B car, my advice would be to akan datang. :)

1 hour ago, Guest Leanmature said:

Is that right to say that if I extend my COE for another 5 years, I will just pay $12,500 or $25,000 for 10 years ?

nope, you pay the Prevailing Quota Premium (PQP), which is the moving 3 month average of the category of COE you are intending to renew. It varies every month because it depends on the COE prices for the last 3 months.

7 hours ago, zyjd said:

nope, you pay the Prevailing Quota Premium (PQP), which is the moving 3 month average of the category of COE you are intending to renew. It varies every month because it depends on the COE prices for the last 3 months.

I still have have one more year before my car’s coe expires. Can I extend my coe now instead of waiting for it to reach 10 years?

13 hours ago, zyjd said:

Oh, ok. That means if I extend my COE on 1 Aug, they will take the average of May, June and July.  So for extension of 5 years, the average will be divided by two ?

Don't read and response to guests' post

8 hours ago, Singroc said:

I still have have one more year before my car’s coe expires. Can I extend my coe now instead of waiting for it to reach 10 years?

why would you want to do that? If you renew your COE early you will be forfeiting the unused portion of the current COE... the renewed COE will start from the first day of the month after you renewed the COE. But if you renew it and decide to scrap your vehicle before the current COE's due date, you will still get back the PARF value.

2 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Oh, ok. That means if I extend my COE on 1 Aug, they will take the average of May, June and July.  So for extension of 5 years, the average will be divided by two ?

yes, to find out the exact amount payable you can check via the following link:

https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=EnquirePQPRates

3 minutes ago, suckmegood said:

Any idea where to get RainEx, the spray nozzle type? Many places selling the solution type that need to pour over cloth to apply. 

RainEx not very advisable.

It will cause your wiper to judder when sweeping. Tried before and won’t recommend

1 hour ago, noldor said:

I use the Bosch Aerotwin silicone wipers and man, they work a treat. 

Oh yes, wipers are to  be replaced regularly as well; especially that my car park ain't fully sheltered and the heat from the sun is unforgiving. 

Tried Bosch many moons back (may not be this Aerotwin silicone) -  IMO, overpriced and the design wasn't flat (as compared to the previous Japanese brand I gotten).

So far, I gotten my wipers online, twice. Some Korean brand. A pair for less than $20. But hey, even the more expensive ones (Bosch included) also can't last... So why pay double to almost triple the price?

My 3 cents thought. 

Edited by thorzguy

22 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Oh yes, wipers are to  be replaced regularly as well; especially that my car park ain't fully sheltered and the heat from the sun is unforgiving. 

Tried Bosch many moons back (may not be this Aerotwin silicone) -  IMO, overpriced and the design wasn't flat (as compared to the previous Japanese brand I gotten).

So far, I gotten my wipers online, twice. Some Korean brand. A pair for less than $20. But hey, even the more expensive ones (Bosch included) also can't last... So why pay double to almost triple the price?

My 3 cents thought. 

That's a good thought.. I haven't tried the other brands yet, and maybe I should shop around online. My car is quite rare in Singapore, so I was already quite happy to find a set of the correct length and the type of fitting ( no idea if its a socket or plug etc) because apparently there are few connector types.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, noldor said:

That's a good thought.. I haven't tried the other brands yet, and maybe I should shop around online. My car is quite rare in Singapore, so I was already quite happy to find a set of the correct length and the type of fitting ( no idea if its a socket or plug etc) because apparently there are few connector types.

What car you driving? How rare?

On 7/13/2018 at 11:39 AM, LeanMature said:

COE already in 8 years low.....and now they increase quota?  What is the rationale?

increase of quota is due to COEs from vehicles deregistered in April to June being pumped back into the system. :)

Guest Guest

The now defunct Uber's massive deregistered COE number depressed the prices the past few months. For those not in a hurry to get a car, wait for round 2 in the PHV.

15 hours ago, zyjd said:

increase of quota is due to COEs from vehicles deregistered in April to June being pumped back into the system. :)

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

The now defunct Uber's massive deregistered COE number depressed the prices the past few months. For those not in a hurry to get a car, wait for round 2 in the PHV.

Will that affect the price of the secondhand car market ?   Will dealers adjust or lower the car price ?

Don't read and response to guests' post

On 7/14/2018 at 1:13 PM, Guest Guest said:

What car you driving? How rare?

Unfortunately rare enough that if i mentioned what it is, i would be recognisable by those who know of me. But just be aware of the various types of wiper blade connectors or you'd end up with something you'd have to return to the shop.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, LeanMature said:

Will that affect the price of the secondhand car market ?   Will dealers adjust or lower the car price ?

used car prices will definitely be affected. When COE drops the first to get burnt are actually the used car dealers because their existing stock all "die cock stand" - because they bought at a higher depreciation per annum but new car prices will drop as well... leading to more people choosing new cars over used if the difference isn't big.

21 hours ago, Guest Car sex girl girl said:

Knn...does that mean I can get very cheap, new and good cars from the 2nd hand market

you can, but bear in mind that some of these cars have been sitting there for more than a year without being driven. That will affect the condition of the car as well. And the price gap between those cars and new ones aren't really that great tbh.

13 hours ago, noldor said:

Unfortunately rare enough that if i mentioned what it is, i would be recognisable by those who know of me. But just be aware of the various types of wiper blade connectors or you'd end up with something you'd have to return to the shop.

haha. Is it a vintage car?

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, noldor said:

So long if is able to fit and works well, you may consider. I mean, why pay more when you can have savings, right? 

8 minutes ago, zyjd said:

haha. Is it a vintage car?

I think I can make a guess about what it maybe.. Respect @noldor discretion. Heheee..

Guest Guest
On 7/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, LeanMature said:

The prices have already been adjusted downward weeks ago. If the low COE prices persist, the used-car dealer may consider deregister the current stock which are a financial liability to them; depreciation, road-tax are payable, then the COE system may be bloated again going forward. Do not rush to buy a car as it will be cheaper ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Is Hyundai Elantra a good buy? Should should go for its Ioniq or i30

Imo Korean cars are a value buy: you get quite a lot of features for less money than a Japanese car. Besides the Elantra why don't you consider the Kia K3 as well? It's uses the same engine and chassis as the current Elantra but the lower 2 models have slightly lesser safety equipment than its cousin. What it makes up for, however, are more frills like LED DRLs and rear combination lights, 16" wheels, cruise control, and drive mode select (all the aforementioned features are for the EX model only).

So it really depends on what you prioritize more I guess. Personally I'd go for the Elantra because I value safety very much but there are a good number of people who would rather have 2 airbags instead of 6 and give up traction control in exchange for the frills mentioned earlier.

Are you a high mileage driver? If not, don't bother with the Ioniq because it costs about $20,000 more than the Elantra; you have to ask yourself if you are able to save $20,000 worth of fuel in the time you own the car.

The i30 is a similar sized car to the Elantra but has more power and torque... you also pay about $10,000 more than the Elantra. But in exchange for that it loses 4 airbags (for the hatchback, wagon has 7 airbags) so it again brings you back to the point I raised earlier: What do you prioritize in your vehice? Power/Safety/Gadgets?

Hope this helps! :)

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, zyjd said:

Imo Korean cars are a value buy: you get quite a lot of features for less money than a Japanese car. Besides the Elantra why don't you consider the Kia K3 as well? It's uses the same engine and chassis as the current Elantra but the lower 2 models have slightly lesser safety equipment than its cousin. What it makes up for, however, are more frills like LED DRLs and rear combination lights, 16" wheels, cruise control, and drive mode select (all the aforementioned features are for the EX model only).

So it really depends on what you prioritize more I guess. Personally I'd go for the Elantra because I value safety very much but there are a good number of people who would rather have 2 airbags instead of 6 and give up traction control in exchange for the frills mentioned earlier.

Are you a high mileage driver? If not, don't bother with the Ioniq because it costs about $20,000 more than the Elantra; you have to ask yourself if you are able to save $20,000 worth of fuel in the time you own the car.

The i30 is a similar sized car to the Elantra but has more power and torque... you also pay about $10,000 more than the Elantra. But in exchange for that it loses 4 airbags (for the hatchback, wagon has 7 airbags) so it again brings you back to the point I raised earlier: What do you prioritize in your vehice? Power/Safety/Gadgets?

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you.

I read somewhere (was it here?) that in order to make more..KIA or Hyundai's latest models are still using old engines

I am 25 .. used to own BMW 520i but since upgraded to BMW 7 Series and legroom in the 7 series passenger seat is exactly what my parents are looking for for Long-drive comfort from sg to KL and vice versa ... and the 7 series has many built-in features compared to my 5 series last time ... 

Guest Guest
On 8/1/2018 at 8:48 PM, Guest BMW said:

I am 25 .. used to own BMW 520i but since upgraded to BMW 7 Series and legroom in the 7 series passenger seat is exactly what my parents are looking for for Long-drive comfort from sg to KL and vice versa ... and the 7 series has many built-in features compared to my 5 series last time ... 

25 years old still driving parents car, at best I can say your parents dote on you....you are useless

On 8/1/2018 at 11:57 AM, Guest Guest said:

Thank you.

I read somewhere (was it here?) that in order to make more..KIA or Hyundai's latest models are still using old engines

not necessarily so: the current Hyundai Elantra, for instance, utilizes Hyundai Motor Company's latest Smart Stream technology. The Kia Cerato, however, doesn't because Cycle & Carriage tries to bring down its cost. In other markets it uses a CVT gearbox, but C&C dropped that option and stuck to the old 6 speeder because the car would be slapped with a $10,000 VES surcharge if the CVT option were brought on - somehow the numbers simply didn't add up for it to be in the VES neutral band.

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Anyone bought SEAT car?worth?

SEAT cars are actually quite nice imo, but I am not comfortable with the local dealer: Vertex Euro Auto is part of the Lian Fong Group, and Vertex Auto is their sister/clone company. Sounds familiar? Because Vertex Auto (VA) used to distribute Chery cars. As such, 100% of their mechanics are mainlanders. I have a friend working in VEA and he said that the SEAT cars are serviced by chinamen, and they use OEM parts to bring down cost as well. Don't know how true lah but I definitely wouldn't buy one.

Guest driving toyota
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

25 years old still driving parents car, at best I can say your parents dote on you....you are useless

aiyoh you so sour grapes, why begrudge others who have a good easy life.

when you do that it accumulates bad karma for yourself. 

and how do you know the guy is useless ....its just pure jealosy and sour grapes on your part.

no religion or pgilosophy in the world ever teaches humanity to begrudge some else who have done better than us. 

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, soffa88 said:

I love MINI design,  which my EX partner have it. small, compact, powerful.. sg car so boring, all the same model, must drive difference then other ma..

anyone drive MINI? 

1200px-2012_Mini_John_Cooper_Works_Coupe_--_11-26-2011_front.jpg

I like countryman. Earlier mini has some problems right

Guest Tesla

My dream of driving a Tesla has faded away due to high price tag. A cheap alternative will be the Hyundai Ioniq Electric and I understand that ComfortDelgro has put 2 units on trial. If the numbers increases over time, it means the Ioniq is a practical car for Sg hot and humid climate and I will make a decision then.

Guest Guest
56 minutes ago, Guest Tesla said:

My dream of driving a Tesla has faded away due to high price tag. A cheap alternative will be the Hyundai Ioniq Electric and I understand that ComfortDelgro has put 2 units on trial. If the numbers increases over time, it means the Ioniq is a practical car for Sg hot and humid climate and I will make a decision then.

IONIQ also not cheap....

If it becomes a common vehicle for cab, then: (1) means it is durable (2) no uniqueness, might as well hail a cab instead of owning a "cab"

7 hours ago, soffa88 said:

I love MINI design,  which my EX partner have it. small, compact, powerful.. sg car so boring, all the same model, must drive difference then other ma..

anyone drive MINI? 

1200px-2012_Mini_John_Cooper_Works_Coupe_--_11-26-2011_front.jpg

I am absolutely MINI mad. Love the direct feel of driving them and almost go kart suspension.  Hope to see you in a MINI somewhere! :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.