Male HQ

Cars Discussions

zyjd

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I like countryman. Earlier mini has some problems right

Currently driving R57 Cooper Cabrio, but thinking of upgrading to Countryman.  Have been driving MINI”s since 2005 and never had any serious issues from a point of reliability.  SG MINI supporters on FB as Mini Mafia Singapore. 

17 hours ago, soffa88 said:

I love MINI design,  which my EX partner have it. small, compact, powerful.. sg car so boring, all the same model, must drive difference then other ma..

anyone drive MINI? 

1200px-2012_Mini_John_Cooper_Works_Coupe_--_11-26-2011_front.jpg

Used to have an R53 Cooper S manual. My goodness. If anyone had any doubts that a front wheel drive car can do four wheel slides, you have to buy this car. Just a half lift-off throttle thru the bends and a slight tug of the steering wheel and you can slide this car with complete confidence and control without needing a scandi flick. BMW reliability is dreadful after 3 years, but if you don't plan to keep the car that long, I'd totally recommend trying a mini out just for kicks.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Cause government won't not let coe to drop until last time 20k and below.

Ahaha no lar, govt has committed to zero coe growth this year. Whatever COE prices you see are the effect of the Uber and Grab merger.

The last round 3000+ over bids but only 1600+ available. How to go down?

Next year when govt make coe -neg then effect would be more.

47 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

Ahaha no lar, govt has committed to zero coe growth this year. Whatever COE prices you see are the effect of the Uber and Grab merger.

The last round 3000+ over bids but only 1600+ available. How to go down?

Next year when govt make coe -neg then effect would be more.

Meaning coe will go up or down?

• 1 month later...

COE go down le! Super tempted. 

Of these 3 choices, which will you get for a used car?

1. Volvo S80 D2

2. BMW 116d

3. Toyota Prius

The Volvo is quite nice and spacious. Though it may look too matured for my age. But who cares? It's a luxury sedan segment.

The BMW is great as I'm not married. Small Car and good fuel efficiency. Very powerful and zippy too. It's a hatchback segment.

The Prius is quiet and fuel efficient. But I think it's overpriced for a Toyota car. Also it's a typical Grab or taxi car. It's a standard sedan segment. 

26 minutes ago, Xiaoxianrou said:

1. Volvo S80 D2

2. BMW 116d

3. Toyota Prius

The Volvo is quite nice and spacious. Though it may look too matured for my age. But who cares? It's a luxury sedan segment.

The BMW is great as I'm not married. Small Car and good fuel efficiency. Very powerful and zippy too. It's a hatchback segment.

The Prius is quiet and fuel efficient. But I think it's overpriced for a Toyota car. Also it's a typical Grab or taxi car. It's a standard sedan segment. 

None of the above

Guest hips don't lie
28 minutes ago, Xiaoxianrou said:

1. Volvo S80 D2

2. BMW 116d

3. Toyota Prius

How much are you willing to pay for the resale prices, of these cars.

Can you list the prices of these cars please.

when COE is low, cheaper to buy new cars coz depreciation is lower.

If you're considering the S80 D2, bear in mind that it is very slow and noisy. Also, Volvo parts are among the most expensive for its segment. For the S80 D2, it will be even more so because the D2 engine is discontinued in Singapore so parts are rather scarce. If you want an S80, go for the petrol T4 minimum. The diesels are woefully slow and noisy, and if you aren't a high mileage driver the cheaper cost of diesel won't be able to offset the higher road tax incurred. Volvos have legendary front seats though, the comfort it provides are second to none :)

The BMW 116d it's a good car - one of the most affordable RWD cars in the market now and running costs are really low: I have driven that car for a fortnight and I got 1,120km on a single tank. Downsides are a very cramped rear seat and sketchy equipment level: no reverse camera, cruise control, auto-hold. Also, front seats are a bit shorter and is a little lacking in thigh support.

Prius is overpriced if you buy new, but quite reasonable on the used market. But get one that is from Borneo Motors: you will need their warranty when the battery is worn out and needs replacing. If you get a non-agent unit and the battery dies it's a five figure digit. Also, need to be very careful when buying one because the mileage might have been tampered with: many of them had a past life as a private hire vehicle and clocked colossal mileage.

If you get a used car (depending on the age of it), stay away from those with high COEs ($65,000 and above) because even if you buy the car at paper value (quite rare coz that's the dealer's buy-in price), your depreciation is already $6,500 just on the COE itself (based on a $65,000 COE), and that's excluding the PARF depreciation as well. A new bread-and-butter car like the Honda Jazz/Hyundai Elantra/Toyota Vios all have an annual depreciation of about $6,000+, and you get a brand new car with free servicing and new warranty.

Hope this helps!

Guest Pok Pok 车
19 hours ago, zyjd said:

when COE is low, cheaper to buy new cars coz depreciation is lower.

If you're considering the S80 D2, bear in mind that it is very slow and noisy. Also, Volvo parts are among the most expensive for its segment. For the S80 D2, it will be even more so because the D2 engine is discontinued in Singapore so parts are rather scarce. If you want an S80, go for the petrol T4 minimum. The diesels are woefully slow and noisy, and if you aren't a high mileage driver the cheaper cost of diesel won't be able to offset the higher road tax incurred. Volvos have legendary front seats though, the comfort it provides are second to none :)

The BMW 116d it's a good car - one of the most affordable RWD cars in the market now and running costs are really low: I have driven that car for a fortnight and I got 1,120km on a single tank. Downsides are a very cramped rear seat and sketchy equipment level: no reverse camera, cruise control, auto-hold. Also, front seats are a bit shorter and is a little lacking in thigh support.

Prius is overpriced if you buy new, but quite reasonable on the used market. But get one that is from Borneo Motors: you will need their warranty when the battery is worn out and needs replacing. If you get a non-agent unit and the battery dies it's a five figure digit. Also, need to be very careful when buying one because the mileage might have been tampered with: many of them had a past life as a private hire vehicle and clocked colossal mileage.

If you get a used car (depending on the age of it), stay away from those with high COEs ($65,000 and above) because even if you buy the car at paper value (quite rare coz that's the dealer's buy-in price), your depreciation is already $6,500 just on the COE itself (based on a $65,000 COE), and that's excluding the PARF depreciation as well. A new bread-and-butter car like the Honda Jazz/Hyundai Elantra/Toyota Vios all have an annual depreciation of about $6,000+, and you get a brand new car with free servicing and new warranty.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing.

I think this discussion is informative and enlightening, you have been very helpful.

On Wed Sep 26 2018 at 4:28 PM, Hornday said:

Can any bros share what is a good value for money car in the range of <90k? 

Am deciding between Toyota altis and vios which are in that price range but open to other suggestions and advice. 

Thanks

Skoda octavia

Edited by coconut11

On 9/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Hornday said:

Am deciding between Toyota altis and vios which are in that price range but open to other suggestions and advice. 

Thanks

Ever consider Korean cars? Think they r catching up with Japanese cars and might be more value for money.

Maybe can consider Kia Forte

On 9/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Hornday said:

Thanks

Since both are under the same AD, just arrange for a test drive for both models. Easier to compare. 

Having said that, I have 2 friends who are driving the current model of Altis - their feedback: some paint works issue. Though under some warranty or so, is a hassle to go back to the workshop. FYI la. 

5 hours ago, Singroc said:

Ever consider Korean cars? Think they r catching up with Japanese cars and might be more value for money.

Given the specs (which can be found in higher end cars), definitely very good value for money. One aspect to note: higher fuel consumption though. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 8:07 AM, Singroc said:

I would totally go for a Kia Stinger over a 3 or 4 series if that sort of car category was what I was looking at. It seems almost mad to pay extra for things like bluetooth integration, LED headlamps, memory seats, folding mirrors, larger alloy wheels, etc at supposedly premium brands when I think the word premium really means you should be getting these features and way more as standard that shouldn't even be available at more value driven brands.The purpose of premium should mean that you can get something that simply can't be had at a lesser price (and personally, I mean something more tangible than the ephemeral nature of a brand experience).

16 hours ago, noldor said:

I would totally go for a Kia Stinger over a 3 or 4 series if that sort of car category was what I was looking at. It seems almost mad to pay extra for things like bluetooth integration, LED headlamps, memory seats, folding mirrors, larger alloy wheels, etc at supposedly premium brands when I think the word premium really means you should be getting these features and way more as standard that shouldn't even be available at more value driven brands.The purpose of premium should mean that you can get something that simply can't be had at a lesser price (and personally, I mean something more tangible than the ephemeral nature of a brand experience).

How much does the stinger cost with coe now? Do u think can test drive?

Actually I am also very obsessed with the Renault Megane RS but unfortunately changing to a new car is not my priority now...

2 hours ago, Singroc said:

How much does the stinger cost with coe now? Do u think can test drive?

Actually I am also very obsessed with the Renault Megane RS but unfortunately changing to a new car is not my priority now...

You still have your Scirocco? 

Should be almost reaching its 10yr cycle? 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:32 PM, Guest guest said:

Car expo coming but I think sales won't be good.

Economy going down....

yeah sales was BAD; my worst expo ever. Only sold 1 car and many of my colleagues didn't even sell any. All of us were demoralized and cursing at our bad luck. Apparently Subaru was doing well though, they sold more than a hundred units on Saturday alone.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:02 AM, noldor said:

the Stinger is a damn good car! I've driven the 2l turbo and can definitely say it drives better than my colleague's BMW 328i. But that's just me lah haha those diehard beemer fans pls don't slay me and dig out my intestines.

16 hours ago, Singroc said:

Yes, 10 years next year. And the car is still in quite good condition. So maybe I will extend the coe.

is yours the 1.4l or 2l version? 1.4l is apparently more problematic (mechatronic issues et al), but more ideal for COE renewal coz the PARF is only about $10,000 to $12,000. The 2l is more reliable but the PARF lost is dearer (around $16,000). So I'm kinda in two minds about this, lah. But it's less "heartpain" to renew the COE now coz the PQP is much lower than the same time last year. That said, if COE continues to drop (and I foresee it will), it might be wiser to buy a new car :)

47 minutes ago, zyjd said:

yeah sales was BAD; my worst expo ever. Only sold 1 car and many of my colleagues didn't even sell any. All of us were demoralized and cursing at our bad luck. Apparently Subaru was doing well though, they sold more than a hundred units on Saturday alone.

the Stinger is a damn good car! I've driven the 2l turbo and can definitely say it drives better than my colleague's BMW 328i. But that's just me lah haha those diehard beemer fans pls don't slay me and dig out my intestines.

is yours the 1.4l or 2l version? 1.4l is apparently more problematic (mechatronic issues et al), but more ideal for COE renewal coz the PARF is only about $10,000 to $12,000. The 2l is more reliable but the PARF lost is dearer (around $16,000). So I'm kinda in two minds about this, lah. But it's less "heartpain" to renew the COE now coz the PQP is much lower than the same time last year. That said, if COE continues to drop (and I foresee it will), it might be wiser to buy a new car :)

Yes VW is well known for their MU issues. Mine fail after one mth after I got a 2nd hand car. Luckily it was covered by the car dealer. 

9 hours ago, zyjd said:

Mine is the 2l scirocco. 9+ years already and the gear box has not given me any problem. 

Yah, the 1.4l gear box problem is well known.

Anyway I have other priorities and am not prepared to take up a loan for a car, so renewing my coe is the more viable option

1 hour ago, Singroc said:

Mine is the 2l scirocco. 9+ years already and the gear box has not given me any problem. 

Yah, the 1.4l gear box problem is well known.

Anyway I have other priorities and am not prepared to take up a loan for a car, so renewing my coe is the more viable option

Hopefully COEs will maintain this downward trend 

Guest Guest M

I am choosing between Jaguar XF or the new Lexus ES 250 ... Which of the two is a good buy ? I tested both ... In terms of drive and handling, XF is better than the Lexus ...   in terms of safety features and functionalities, Lexus is better .... price wise, both are about the same .... Both are given me 5 years free servicing and 5 years warranty ....

3 hours ago, Guest Guest M said:

I am choosing between Jaguar XF or the new Lexus ES 250 ... Which of the two is a good buy ? I tested both ... In terms of drive and handling, XF is better than the Lexus ...   in terms of safety features and functionalities, Lexus is better .... price wise, both are about the same .... Both are given me 5 years free servicing and 5 years warranty ....

oh..2 very different characteristic..1 is a wild cat another 1 is like a gentleman in suit..;)

hmm..for me i will choose the ES over XF, XF is kinda old model already, and the fits n finishing, is not up to its segment level..always feel that is d weakness for British cars..of cos Jag always excel in handling portion and driving dynamics which are the plus point if you are into it..other than that, if i want a European car i will choose a typical German car over a Jag..

the new ES wit the new platform certainly feel more sportiness than previous version, but still more on comfort instead of outright handling..and Lexus renowned for thier reliability which i think Jag will b jealous of, and interior is also much more spacious if u carry passenger often, I usually not a Japanese car fanboy, but i would say the ES interior is much better than the XF, much more plusher n nice to touch..

just my 2 cents;)

Guest Priscilla Queen de desert
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Thought jaguar made in UK?

JAGUAR LAND ROVER owned now by TATA india car manufaxturer.

EXPENSIVE Jaguars are made in Coventry , UK.

But now they are starting to Manufacture XF in India for Indian.domestic consumption.

SINGAPORE jaguars are currently from UK. 

Things may change in the future.

4 hours ago, Guest Priscilla Queen de desert said:

JAGUAR LAND ROVER owned now by TATA india car manufaxturer.

EXPENSIVE Jaguars are made in Coventry , UK.

But now they are starting to Manufacture XF in India for Indian.domestic consumption.

SINGAPORE jaguars are currently from UK. 

Things may change in the future.

Find jaguars design quite old school, no nice. If have the money to buy that range of luxury cars, i would choose merc or lexus.

Guest Priscilla Queen de desert
22 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Find jaguars design quite old school, no nice. If have the money to buy that range of luxury cars, i would choose merc or lexus.

GOOD choice, Merc cars are over engineered, meaning they are engineered so that they are 2 to 3 times more sturdy than other car makers. Their A, B,C piilars are super thick , double  to triple that of typical jap cars.

LEXUS also over engineered , meaning the manuf acturers go beyond set limit and surpass normal standards.

7 hours ago, Guest Guest1183 said:

First-time car buyer here, Currently I am looking for a car, around  <90k. Any recommendations? 

Instead of asking here and assumed all are car guru 

why dont u visit showroom or go SG car forum or it related sites 

9 hours ago, Guest Guest1183 said:

First-time car buyer here, Currently I am looking for a car, around  <90k. Any recommendations? 

must depends if you like jap or korean car then you can narrow down the choice available.

On 10/27/2018 at 2:18 AM, Guest Tesla said:

I am taking a closer look at Hyundai Ioniq electric at The Cars@Expo tomorrow. The future is electric.

This is a compact family car. Limited boot space. Under $135 k ideally suitable for those staying in landed properties with own charging point.  The public charging point will take a while before it is available islandwide. 

On 11/1/2018 at 1:47 PM, Guest Tesla said:

This is a compact family car. Limited boot space. Under $135 k ideally suitable for those staying in landed properties with own charging point.  The public charging point will take a while before it is available islandwide. 

SG$135k ??  This car costs about US$30k here in the US. 

Amazing what you pay for cars in your island.

I own two Nissan Maxima 23 and 24 years old, each of value under US$500

and an Acura TL 10 years old, value  US$7k. 

All running fine.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:18 PM, Guest Tesla said:

I am taking a closer look at Hyundai Ioniq electric at The Cars@Expo tomorrow. The future is electric.

I am looking for cars that are not only electric but also self-driving.

I can wait still some years,  and I am hopeful these cars will be available

when I don't want to drive anymore and are too old to do it safely.

7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am looking for cars that are not only electric but also self-driving.

I can wait still some years,  and I am hopeful these cars will be available

when I don't want to drive anymore and are too old to do it safely.

Good to have a car that can have feature that can self-driving. Imagine half way you are driving, you suddenly feel unwell or giddy, you can activated the feature and no need to worry and still can arrive home safely.

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Good to have a car that can have feature that can self-driving. Imagine half way you are driving, you suddenly feel unwell or giddy, you can activated the feature and no need to worry and still can arrive home safely.

Once I have the self-driving car I will not wait to feel unwell, but I will tell it when I step in where it should take me (it probably will have voice recognition) and it will drive me like if it comes with a chauffeur, a chauffeur available round the clock who does need to be paid and feeds on gasoline.

2 hours ago, Guest Tesla said:

None of that mess would have happened with a self-driving car.  Even if he was completely drunk and drugged, the car would always stay sober.

• 4 weeks later...

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.