Male HQ

Call Me by Your Name

Guest kian wee iec97

Guest kian wee iec97
On 3/9/2018 at 1:16 PM, CKW said:

Yeah, man!! That scene was brilliant acting on the part of Timothee! You could see the floods of emotions sweeping over him just by looking at his face and eyes.

Actually, not sure if you know this already, but Timothee had a earpiece playing the song Visions of Gideon while he was filming that scene  :D

He said this during an interview.

who is this Gideon? anyone care to elaborate the significant of this name to the story?

41 minutes ago, Guest kian wee iec97 said:

who is this Gideon? anyone care to elaborate the significant of this name to the story?

Read from internet the writer could be referring to the biblical Gideon who had visions of God.

Perhaps Elio is Gideon and Oliver is his vision. 

Read that for this scene, Chalamet did 3 takes. This is the take where the director told him not to hold back.

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

11 hours ago, Guest kian wee iec97 said:

Yes, as glowingember said, the titular Gideon is referring to the Hebrew prophet in the Jewish/Christian Bible (in Judges 6 - 8, if you want to read about him).

In the video below, there is a short explanation of that song from 4:11 onwards.

Edited by CKW

I am enjoying listening to the audio book when I'm public transport.

Tim lost because he was 2nd best next to ....

Gary Oldman is a veteran and Hollywood likes to honour "long overdue" thespians ..

Anyway Tim is still young and look out for him to be the NEW Leonardo.

Guest Guest
50 minutes ago, abang said:

I am enjoying listening to the audio book when I'm public transport.

Tim lost because he was 2nd best next to ....

Gary Oldman is a veteran and Hollywood likes to honour "long overdue" thespians ..

Anyway Tim is still young and look out for him to be the NEW Leonardo.

He is actually very good looking and I can’t decide whether he is better off remaining waif-like or becoming more buff as Hollywood actors often do as they become more mature, like Adrien Brody.

Perhaps it’s because of the budget, the author and the producer’s husband did a cameo in the movie. They were the gay couple ‘Sonny and Cher’ who visited the family in the evening, before Elio called ‘Elio’.

i find the cast acted very well. I like the girlfriend Marzia. Her acting as the misled love interest was also heartbreaking. Also, Elio’s Mother - she’s elegant and beautiful.

The statue which the Father’s team dredged out from the sea looks like Elio. Oliver touched the statue on the lips and later on, before Elio and Oliver had their first kiss on the grass patch, Oliver also touched Elio’s lips like he did with the statue.

In the book, the scene where Elio played different versions of the same tune. He had wanted to show Oliver that they are not made for one instrument only. Also Elio was flirting by gifting Oliver different versions of the music, knowing the parts in the music that would stir his emotions.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

On 3/3/2018 at 8:59 AM, Guest Call Out said:

‘Call Me by Your Name’ is a dishonest, dangerous film

“Call Me by Your Name,” the new film by Luca Guadagnino, is a deftly directed, beautifully photographed, wonderfully acted master class in sexual predation and abuse.

The lush, dream-like movie chronicles a summer romance between 17-year-old Elio and his father’s hunky 24-year-old graduate assistant, Oliver. Although many reviewers touch on the problematic “age gap” between them, for the most part, they minimize those concerns and lavish praise on the movie. (“An erotic triumph,” says one; “a romantic marvel,” says another.)

But even the brief “age gap” caveats miss the point. “Call Me by Your Name” isn’t about an older man and a younger man. It falsely romanticizes an exploitative relationship between a grown man and a teenager. These manipulative relationships cause lasting damage, as I know from my own experience. 

As a 15-year-old scholarship student starting at Choate Rosemary Hall in 1989, I liked to think of myself as an autonomous adult. But like Elio, sprawling across his parents’ laps on a rainy afternoon, I was not.

That first year at Choate, I met Angus Mairs, my math teacher and dorm adviser. We all went to Mr. Mairs for math help, but somehow “math help” turned into personal discussions. Mr. Mairs pried and probed into my personal details until I revealed to him that a family member had sexually abused me throughout my childhood. Instead of making a prompt report to Child Welfare, Mr. Mairs used that information to pose as my protector and savior.

Over and over, he would ask me, “What are you thinking about?” It might seem like an innocent question, but it wasn’t. He wanted access to my most personal thoughts and feelings — and if I wanted his approval, I had to hand them over.

It was a gut punch to watch Oliver and Elio have nearly the same exchange. When Elio refuses to tell Oliver what he is thinking about because “it’s private,” Oliver withdraws his approval. “I guess I’ll go hang out with your mom,” he says, and walks away. 

When the school year was over, Mr. Mairs wrote me “love letters” and arranged to take me camping. We got lost and ended up in some general store in the middle of nowhere, him drinking a beer and me, now 16, sitting on his lap.

Later that night, I lost my virginity. When I crawled out of the tent the next morning, I looked at my legs and my arms. My skin, the moles on my legs, the hair on my arms, all looked the same, but somehow none of it felt like mine anymore. I told myself over and over that I was in complete control. That this was a choice that I was making. This was a story I held onto fiercely – even long after I had severed all ties with Mr. Mairs. 

In actuality, like Elio, I was a lonely teenager who desperately wanted approval. Also like Elio, an adult who should have been a role model instead took me as a lover.

In real life and in the movie, these shouldn’t be thought of as sexy coming-of-age romances, deliciously painful trysts from which both partners emerge better for having known each other. When an adult grooms a teenager, and engages her or him in a sexual relationship, it’s neither romantic nor consensual. It left me shattered. For years I lived with intense shame, believing I was a bad person.

In the movie’s last scene, Elio and his parents are together for Hanukkah. The phone rings and it’s Oliver. They clearly haven’t spoken in a long time. Oliver has big news. He is getting married. The film ends with Elio crying. Oliver has moved on. His life continues without consequence. But as experts on this type of abuse will tell you, Elio is at the very beginning of a long struggle with the misery and the challenges that survivors inevitably face. A real-life Elio would most likely suffer from depression and perhaps even become suicidal.

This film has the potential to cause real harm by normalizing this kind of sexual predation. It could be particularly damaging for LGBT youth, who are already at a high risk for depression and suicide.

So no, “Call Me by Your Name” isn’t a radical, brilliant piece of art. We need to call it by its name. That name is abuse.

Cheyenne Montgomery lives in Portland, Ore., where she teaches high school biology and zoology and works to address educator sexual misconduct. She is writing a memoir. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/01/25/call-your-name-dishonest-dangerous-film/I7urrCBxwZYrfPTT7eycdM/story.html

The author of this article makes a valid point. It is a powerful, thought-provoking  response that highlights the abuse that can certainly happen in relationships where there is a big age disparity. But Oliver in the movie hesitates to get close to Elio because he knows how doubly forbidden a romantic relationship with Elio would be - both in its being homosexual and the age difference. That is not to say though that all relationships between a young 17 year old and someone much more mature would automatically translate to abuse/trauma. A 17 year old (as Elio is) or even a 14 year old is capable of consent (even if the law doesn't allow him to).

I actually lost my virginity at the age of 15 to a much older man, and it opened up a world that I simply did not have access to at that age. The relationship didn't last, but the lessons and experiences were all positive and impactful - from learning to choose the type of guys who treated me well (cause he did) to realizing that a sexy body/face was not everything and that ambition, achievement, and intelligence  were even more important. He was 30 years old, and his life - with all of its freedoms, hopes, achievements- were awe-inspiring for a deeply closeted young teenager. That is not to say I think everyone should go out and date a much older guy, but nonetheless, we shouldn't call Call Me By Your Name "dishonest". It is one person's truth, just like Cheyenne Montgomery writes of her own  wholly separate truth. 

Anyways, on a separate note, part of what makes Call Me By Your Name so unique is how generation-specific it is. It is set in the 1980s when smartphones  were not a thing. Dating is so different today. I am part of the generation that was raised with social media. Being stranded in a beautiful small Italian town in your family's beautiful villa and spending time with equally bored and attractive visitors (without any modern distractions like the internet or snapchat)  seems too good to be true. But it was once a reality I guess for people raised before social media.

1 hour ago, glowingember said:

In the book, the scene where Elio played different versions of the same tune. He had wanted to show Oliver that they are not made for one instrument only. Also Elio was flirting by gifting Oliver different versions of the music, knowing the parts in the music that would stir his emotions.

That's one of my favourite scenes!  :D

Apparently, Timothee has some piano background but he had to practice quite hard in order to play that Bach piece so flawlessly during the show's filming.

Also, I always get a bit distracted by Armie's thighs when he sits down at the end   :twisted:

• Guest locked this topic