Male HQ

When people telling you are not friendly

Guest shouldIworried

I've been told that before. My response was, "I'm here to work and earn money. Making friends is a nice bonus but it's not in my list of priorities here. While I'm sorry that people feel I'm hostile, I'm here to work."

I was telling this gossipy auntie to f off politely when she told me I shouldn't appear so "dao" because some of my colleagues were intimidated by me.

Usually these people are never sincere about being truly friendly but just the opposite. This is just their way of trying to sort out those in their 'power' clique to try to enlist more people on their gang at the office in order to build a power base which at time might not be good if it was done with the intention to pressure another group or even management over some issue. In a place where you are only there for money for work... there are some toxic people that have this impression they can come in, rally to form group(s) to enforce influence

Friendship in an office? Never happens 90% of the time. Never eat and shit in the same place is a better way to go. Not being friendly does not mean you should be mean to someone you work. You just need to be professional and careful with who you trust and share information. You can never be sure what information you have that can change the dynamic of any relationship you are involve in with people.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Kylegogo

Recently being told by my sales director (via a colleague) that I'm not friendly. I don't really care about what my colleagues think, but coming from the management, that's rather alarming. 

Guest Colleague

Friend?  Once you leave the company for good, nobody will call you friend. Everyone will go their way and do their own things. 

Actually there will still be some genuine friendship developed when you work in a company for some time. While it doesn’t make sense to force myself to go around making friends if I’m not that kind of person, somehow, I will meet like-minded people and we still keep in touch once a while to catch up with things even after I have left the company. 

If you need to climb up the corporate ladder, sometimes you really got no choice but need to appear “friendly” to the right person. But if you heck care about that just like me, ya don’t really have to bother what ppl say to you. 

Be cool, like a breeze...

Is being not friendly in office same as being lone ranger? In most cases, bosses would not like their staff to be unfriendly or cant get along well with colleagues. No matter you like your colleagues or not, you still need to act like you like them. Being unfriendly not a very wise behavior to survive in office. My office has one colleague who have worked in the company for almost 20 years, all people in the company dont dare to offend this person and all maintain a friendly relationship with this person. 

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

7 hours ago, Guest Kylegogo said:

Recently being told by my sales director (via a colleague) that I'm not friendly. I don't really care about what my colleagues think, but coming from the management, that's rather alarming. 

Not friendly with your colleagues or with your customers?  In sale jobs, you must have a friendly DNA, it's very hard to act out or pretend.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

19 hours ago, Guest Colleague said:

Friend?  Once you leave the company for good, nobody will call you friend. Everyone will go their way and do their own things. 

This is so true, no matter how close u guys were, once u left, there is less common thing to talk about and slowly the connection will be drifted away....the problem with being friendly is that they will start to ask u personal question, why u not marry etc....if u r in service industry, u only need to be "friendly" with your customer because they are responsible for your paycheck and not your colleague :whistle:

I am retired now, but I remember the many years as an employee with so much energy wasted over personal issues.

If I return to work, I will have a friendly attitude resulting from not taking ANYTHING personal, not getting angry about ANYTHING, and not having bad feelings about ANYONE.  This takes a "thick skin" and a lot of discipline, but there is really no basic reason to having to give up happiness for work.  Now as a senior I realize the immense importance of life and health, and how trivial in comparison are the personality skirmishes. 

Guest Guest
On 5 March 2018 at 1:10 PM, lonelyglobe said:

This is so true, no matter how close u guys were, once u left, there is less common thing to talk about and slowly the connection will be drifted away....the problem with being friendly is that they will start to ask u personal question, why u not marry etc....if u r in service industry, u only need to be "friendly" with your customer because they are responsible for your paycheck and not your colleague :whistle:

Agreed, when no longer see each other often, people would start to drifted away as the days go by. Last time in my previous company, i am close to some colleagues there, but after i resigned from the company, the first 1-2 years still keep in touch but after that no more.

50 minutes ago, sum1outhere_03 said:

Sounds like some mediacock auntie's quote :P:D

Lol.

Actually i don't understand how they r not friends when both of them share the same best friend.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

There is a difference between being friendly and being friends with someone. I agree with those who state not prioritizing making friends in the workplace as seldom do turn out as real friends and it is better to keep personal and workplace separate. But you can still be friendly towards your colleagues though, and it should not come in the way of your work or 'be a chore' for you to dismiss it as an added effort on top of work. Again, be friendly but don't set out to make friends. 

On 3/7/2018 at 6:33 AM, Steve5380 said:

I am retired now, but I remember the many years as an employee with so much energy wasted over personal issues.

If I return to work, I will have a friendly attitude resulting from not taking ANYTHING personal, not getting angry about ANYTHING, and not having bad feelings about ANYONE.  This takes a "thick skin" and a lot of discipline, but there is really no basic reason to having to give up happiness for work.  Now as a senior I realize the immense importance of life and health, and how trivial in comparison are the personality skirmishes. 

Words of wisdom. I so agree. 

• Guest locked this topic