Male HQ

How To Cook Fry Bee Hoon ?

Can somepne please teach me how to cook fry Bee Hoon ? I have tried but never seem to succeed much. At first I tried to boil th hard bee hoon a bt first and fry but it ended up to watery. Later someone told me not to boil it and I soaked it in water for few hours and fry but it seems to hard, so I need to fry more and add more water but it seems funny also. It did not end up as a good texture as it should be seen. Please help. Thank you in advance. You know when you stay overseas sometimes you like to take some Bee Hon and it goes with beer perfectly. I managed to cook my Hainaese Chicken home quite satisfactory and would like to share the recipe out if anyone is keen.

Just soak the bee hoon till soft before frying. Don't need a few hours lah... It will soften when treated to the heat... Add extra water to the consistency you want for your bee hoon during the frying...

Thanks Buaya. Actually I tried to soak the bee hoon for short time also but when I fried it seems to be to hard and it eats up all the oil. I added and added water and the texture becomes funny, I can only eat myself ( can't server other people ) and just envy all those bee Hoon been sold at the store.

Q

--

1. How many minutes the bee hoon has to be soaked ?

2. How many minutes u need to fry the bee hoon ?

3. Roughly how much oil and water do youn use when u fry the bee hoon ?

4. When do you add the ingredients ?

5. When and what 調味料 you add to make your bee hoon tasty, salt ? soya sauce ? or others.

Thanks in advance.

DOM

Use the Chilli brand bee hoon. Easier to cook. I put pork lard, tou kay and ajinomoto in my bee hoon too.

Erm ... pork lard and ajinomoto ... is that very unhealthy? :o

Why not use 上汤 (chicken stock, not the cube but the really boil your ownself one) for flavour instead of just plain water?

Why not use 上汤 (chicken stock, not the cube but the really boil your ownself one) for flavour instead of just plain water?

Hi,

1.Pork lard is nice for frying mee hoon without it it wudnt be nice.For healthy cooking subtitude it with Canola oil or Olive oil

2.The mee hoon must be soak in water for at least 20 minutes(use Red chilli type as per recommended by redken)

3.Fried white mee hoon style with deep fried onion(major ingredient) with raw cut of carrot(like bean sprout size) as topping and seafood

or

Dark black soya sauce with pork lard.Add green vegtable.

4.Your friyng must be hot including the cooking oil and the frying time should not more than 15minutes.Add adequate volumeof water as toomuch water will onlymade the meehoon soggy..

DOM ,maybe u cud invite usfor the meal tasting

..... :lol: :clap:

Hope it help

Hi,

1.Pork lard is nice for frying mee hoon without it it wudnt be nice.For healthy cooking subtitude it with Canola oil or Olive oil

2.The mee hoon must be soak in water for at least 20 minutes(use Red chilli type as per recommended by redken)

3.Fried white mee hoon style with deep fried onion(major ingredient) with raw cut of carrot(like bean sprout size) as topping and seafood

or

4.Your friyng must be hot including the cooking oil and the frying time should not more than 15minutes.Add adequate volumeof water as toomuch water will onlymade the meehoon soggy..

Hope it help

Hi,

or

Hope it help

The most challenginf parts for me is "Fly for not more than 15minutes and do not add to much water." I need to make sure this part is well done. Yesterday I tried again using the Spagetti stype, meaning boild the hard bee-hoon for short time and pour off the water then fly, it seems to me this is the fastest way. But will try further.

I sure would like to invite you to taste my Bee Hoon and other dishes as I often hold home gay parties. But I live in Japan though and let me know when you come to Japan and I can invite you to my house as guest.

Fried Bee Hoon with Canned Stewed Pork Ribs

Ingredients:

300 gms of beehoon (pre-soaked for 1 hour and drained) personally i prefer "Chilli" Brand Bee Hoon.

1 can of stewed pork ribs (do not throw the gravy away)

150 gms of cabbage (sliced) - you can have more if you like more vegetables

1 carrot (optional - sliced into strips)

2 eggs

3 bulbs garlic (minced)

3 tablespoons of cooking oil

1 cup of hot water

Flavouring:

1 tablespoon dark soya sauce

2 teaspoons light soya sauce (more if you prefer the dish to be saltier)

Dash of white pepper powder (to taste)

Method:

Heat oil in wok add in 1 tablespoon of oil, then add in the beaten eggs fry till cooked. remove from wok and cut into strips.

with oil in the wok and at high heat, fry the minced garlic (till light yellow colour). Then add cabbage and carrot and stir fry for 2 minutes till vegetables are slightly limp. Add in the stewed pork ribs and its gravy.

When the mix above starts to boil, add the beehoon and egg strips and stir fry for about 5 to 7 minutes. Add flavouring to taste whilst stir frying.

Add the hot water gradually to keep the beehoon moist whilst stir frying. Beehoon is cooked when it is no more translucent and is soft.

Do not cook for too long..and do not stir non stop...just stir fry till all flavouring is evently spread will do.......

there was once i went to a colleague's house and on the way to the toilet, passed by kitchen....i saw something on the Wok and acclaimed.... "Wah~ your wife knows how to cook Glutinous Rice ah~" my colleague came to the kitchen and softly said...... Its fried bee Hoon.. i was like.... WTF!!!" <--- result of stir frying for 30 mins on high heat NON STOP. LOL

Edited by Stoner79

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

Stone... I can imagine the wife hating you if she hears you... :lol: :lol: :lol:

er....... she did actually. hahahaha and i taught her the proper way of cooking. i'm quite close with the family wan anyway. i even taught her a few dishes.. if not. my colleague and his son will have to eat white rice, with deep fried nugguts, deep fried fishball , fried eggs .... etc when she decides to cook. haha

Would It Shatter Your Illusion If This Angel Had Been Cursed?

http://shitou79.blogspot.com

I see, maybe the point here is we should add hot water to the fry bee hoon but not cold water. I will try next, anyway my spgatti method seems to work fine, meaning that I boiled the bee hoon and then throw them to fly.

A lady should learn how to cook otherwise how to be qualifies as a woman ? You comment is good and she should be taught lessons to learn how to cook, or else she better be a man. Man can cook better sometimes. I enjoy cooking nowadays and it makes my life richer, have to eat 3 times per day boy ! If don't cook how to survive, "see liao", "wa-pian".

If pork lard unhealthy, can try to use bacon or luncheon meat. Slow fry them and let all the oil ooze out. Then use the oil and the bacon/ meat to fry the bee hoon. Would be delicious. Canned pork leg with mushroom is also very nice. Ya, its the same fats, but it will feel more healthy. :rolleyes:

Erm ... pork lard and ajinomoto ... is that very unhealthy?

if you want to eat char bee hoon...

there is no substitute to pork/pork based oil... even if you use peanut oil or whatever oil you will need to add beacon, or spam or ham etc and chicken stock to liven up the taste...

yes soak the beehoon until you feel it is soft... then prep the ingredients in the wok...

remember that beehoon fries/dries faster as it absorbs the water content in your 'sauce' so more is needed ... you add till you are happy, and if too wet, den just let it be, and make it 'wet style' char bee hoon lor... dun add too much water, chicken stock is a very good alternative to keep the beehoon moist.

stir frying.. is a technique... not just char char char... all sure break one...

do it wif care and turn it carefully and it shud not be broken... i learnt this from my mom... haha

also would be nice to add dao kee sticks...

and ready a good chilli sauce on the side, or sliced red chilli peppers/chilli padi... in soy sauce...

damn.. the detailed reciepe made me hungry... haha...

b

I dunno if I'm just unlucky... but all the NTUC supermarkets i visited, do not have any pork ribs or braised pork from china ...

some of the shelves that usually house this is empty... can't even find the Ma Ling pork luncheon meat cans ...

we are imposing ban on made in china foodstuff becos their food is often found contaminated?

sigh... no more 'hong shao kou rou' etc already... so sad... who got old stock?? black market can sell hahahaha...

b

May be that explain high cancerious population, due to China food ! Sad !!!!! Where is the morale ???????? Like that how to Olympic ?

Edited by Asura
DOM, whist this is a area where we talk about food, please do not bring in other topics which may be unrelated or political in nature.

erm.... so that means... all Athletics who are set to appear in the china Olympic..... are on a one way ticket to early death?

It is possible and it has proven the pollution in Beijing is very high, like Tokyo level is 3 and Bejing is 5, and also worsen by the "yellow sand". Can you imagine during Olympic the sportsmen just struggling to win and there is a possibility of death.

• 2 weeks later...

i fried one round last weekend...

becos of limited ingredients available... this is what i did...

1. soak the chilli brand bee hoon

2. sliced two sticks of lap cheong to thin discs...

3. beat 4 eggs and cooked 4 thin egg pancakes, sliced it to strips.

4. chopped a few garlic pieces

5. prepared a small pack of chicken broth (tetrapak type... 200ml)

warmed up the wok, poured in a liberal amount of oil, and heated up before frying up the garlic till slightly brown and fragrant.

put in the beehoon

using TWO wok frying paddles, i turned the beehoon - tossing the lot a few times...

sprinkled a few table spoons of kikkoman reduced salt soy sauce

toss the beehoon some more...

fry in the lap cheong discs...

added the chicken broth intermettently to keep the beehoon moist. control your fire not to be TOO hot... but must sizzle else too low.

and water as well as the beehoon is slow tossed, taking care not to break them too much.

some beehoon of course gets stuck to the wok, and dries up there during cooking... you can use the wok spades to spade them out but dun be distracted...

concentrate on turning the beehoon and tossing it.. to get it evenly cooked...

ready put onto a nice big plate... garnish with the egg strips, and standby the chilli sauce or ketchup...

seems to be quite ok... and the beehoon did not break into matchstick lengths...

pity there wasn't any veg in the house (all used up) else a green leafy veg blanched in boiling water, and added some oyster sauce on top will make a perfect side dish to the bee hoon...

as it was, quite enjoyed by the family, many going for second and third helping... *phew* lucky...

:thumb:

Guest guest
if you want to eat char bee hoon...

...stir frying.. is a technique... not just char char char... all sure break one...

do it wif care and turn it carefully and it shud not be broken... i learnt this from my mom... haha...

To make stir fry easier and not break up the beehoon, use a pair of long chop stick on 1 hand and the spatula on the other and lift the beehoon to kind of disentangle it. this will also evsure that yr beehoon is more evenly cook and the beehoon will remain nice and lengthy.

Asura note:

Thank you for giving us a great tip on how to make the bee hoon nice and lengthy. Please refrain from quoting the whole of a post. Just to keep the thread easier to read :)

Cheers

Edited by Asura

• 1 month later...

Hi greeting to all fellow bw'ers.

Fried bee hoon is actually quite a simple dish to prepare and cook.

I have tried the fried bee hoon at Lavender cafe in Johore Bahru, i think it is nice and tasty as the ingredients used is quite simple.I personally enjoys cooking and trying out nice simple recipe that is easy to prepare.

I have tried cooking it at home using the same basic ingredients and it turns out nice and delicious.

Ingredients:- Bee hoon - depends on how many persons

Prawns - 6 or more

Fish cake - 1 piece or more

Japanese crab stick - 3stick or more

Eggs - 2 or more

Tow gay - two handful or more

Garlic - 6 or more

Shallots - 6 or more

Chilli - 2 or more

Parsely- two stalk or more

Method :- Soak bee hoon 2-3 hrs before in cold water

Boil water until boiling then add in the prawns,wait until it turn reddish and then drain out prawns

Save the water and use as stocks by adding 2tsp of knorr ikan bilis granules

De-shell the prawns and then slice into 3 smaller pieces

Slices the fish cake and crab stick into thin slices.

Fried the egg and make an omelette and shred into thin slices.

Pluck the tow gay roots

Chops garlic and shallots

Heat up wok and add even amounts of oils according to your taste

Fry garlic and shallots until fragrants or when turn slight golden brown

Next add fish cake and crab stick and stir fry with the garlic and shallots until it is even,then add in the bee hoon

Stir fry the bee hoon,then add in the stock, cover the wok, and let the bee hoon simmer a while and then stir bee hoon

Make sure the stock water not dry up,if not can just add abit more stock to it

When bee hoon is soft and almost cook

Add in the prawns,and tow gay and stir to mixed with the bee hoon

Add abit of light soy sauce, abit of salt or pepper for taste.

Scope up the bee hoon into plate or bowl and garnish with the egg omelette and parsley

Add the slice chilli for granish.

Try it out guys, it is nice and simple to prepare and cook.

Cheers

Edited by hands_of_light

Hi again guys

Forget to mention, when frying bee hoon there are amateur and season cook. Normally you see those season cooks, like those in the hawkers centre how they fry the chay kuay teow or hokkien mee. They usually add the stock to the bee hoon or noodle, using high fire to stir fry and control the heat when it is almost done, the covering of the wok retain the heat and cooks the bee hoon or noodle well.

For amateur cooks like us,who rarely cooks,there is such a wok called non-stick,hehe.. you can use that to cook your bee hoon or noodle and prevent it from sticking to the wok or get burned.

Cheers.

Edited by Baloo

• 8 years later...
Guest Cooker
On 23/05/2008 at 2:49 PM, hands_of_light said:

For amateur cooks like us,who rarely cooks,there is such a wok called non-stick,hehe.. you can use that to cook your bee hoon or noodle and prevent it from sticking to the wok or get burned.

Actually non stick pans are not recommended for high heat cooking.

On 29/04/2017 at 0:35 PM, ThePineapple said:

I found the secret ingredient to cook a yummy and delicious bee hoon...
behold.... it's fried pork lard !

This stall at Redhill food centre has one of the yummiest bee hoon I've ever tasted (and economical!)...he prepares a delicious stock in the wok, then puts in the bee hoon to soak up the broth, in addition to fried lard and all! :thumb:

P.S. Only 60 cts!

redhill.jpg

47 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

This stall at Redhill food centre has one of the yummiest bee hoon I've ever tasted (and economical!)...he prepares a delicious stock in the wok, then puts in the bee hoon to soak up the broth, in addition to fried lard and all! :thumb:

P.S. Only 60 cts!

redhill.jpg

Got to try em... give me the location and off i go ! :D

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

5 hours ago, Cube3 said:

P.S. Only 60 cts!

redhill.jpg

oh this is the one where PM Lee queued up to buy the fried chicken wings....
http://danielfooddiary.com/2014/06/14/yan/

Yan Fried Bee Hoon 焱
Redhill Lane Blk 85, Redhill Food Centre #01-09
Opening Hours: 3pm-10pm (Tues-Sun), Closed Monday
According to Daniel's food Diary @ThePineapple

Edited by Swisse

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.